Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions (5777 Views)

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. / Why Do Nigerians Love Titles So Much? / Igbo's Start Planning/Actions And Stop Talking Too Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 2:37am On Jul 12, 2012
They say, action speaks louder than words. But, in Nigeria the reverse is always the case. There are curious reasons behind what has now become part of the culture of the people, going by lazy attitude to find solution and the ignorance to question what they believe. There are clear evidences of comments posted on Nairaland community to support the claim of the topic. These evidences significantly represent the reality on ground, of what is happening in the Nigerian society.

Now, why do Nigerians love to pray more than to act?
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by kittykat1(f): 6:59am On Jul 12, 2012
Because they r religious simple. Again, its a lot more easier to sit and pray than to crack ur head thinking about a soltuin that would require behavioural changes or running abt. Smart gees. Just open ur mouth and blablabla. And they 4get that faith without works is death

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by bisi16(m): 9:10am On Jul 12, 2012
Coz Nigerians are lazy and always waiting 4 d "God factor" to do everything 4 dem.. B4 exec meetn, Jonah go pray, even tho him know say muslims dey there. Hav u eva seen Obama or Cameron pray b4 a meetn? Even tho Christianity is d major language. Its best I stop here b4 I talk plenty out of vexation.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Agiliti(m): 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2012
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Afam4eva(m): 2:05pm On Jul 12, 2012
To many of them prayer in itself is action. That's why you notice that the prayer routines of most Nigerians are energy sapping.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by miteolu(m): 2:07pm On Jul 12, 2012
Some actions are very very expensive and hard.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by cyril83(m): 2:10pm On Jul 12, 2012
Simply because we are hypocrites,betrayer,sycophant,lazy,stil counting

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by realcele: 2:16pm On Jul 12, 2012
It is simple because nigerians dont read the bible but the pastors. The bible say watch and pray math 26:41 i.e action, shine your eyes and then pray, deal with the physical then ask God spiritual assistants.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2012
Actions brings out d result. But prayer s a master key dat unlock d gates of action.
D 2 shld wrk 2geda. Prayer 4 direction & action 2 get result.
D 1 dat sucks most s d FGs talk + action without result. Instead, 9ja's condition s getting critical everyday.
I fear 4 9jaaa!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by kaiter: 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2012
That's why you notice that the prayer routines of most Nigerians are energy sapping.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by SimplySEA(m): 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2012
Look around u and compare d number of construction works goin on to number of churches u see, i'm sure u'd get d answer! One is easier!
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by ScorchedViper(m): 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2012
of course....most Nigerians are rebels only when they're praying!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2012
There is strong (but not absolute) correlation between the rate of poverty in Nigeria and our love of prayers i.e. Our love for prayers is mostly due to the bad state of our nation. We only pray to God to solve our problems...and forget about Him once He answers.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 12, 2012
To become a billionaire, you must work as if there is no God......

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by ogbonoeba: 2:25pm On Jul 12, 2012
all4naija: They say, action speaks louder than words. But, in Nigeria the reverse is always the case. There are curious reasons behind what has now become part of the culture of the people, going by lazy attitude to find solution and the ignorance to question what they believes. There are clear evidences of comments posted on Nairaland community to support the claim of the topic. These evidences significantly represent the reality on ground, of what is happening the Nigerian society.

It is the same reason why there are so many churches in the country. On a recent trip to port harcourt I asked a cousin of mine why Nigeria had deteriorated so much, and his reply was that his pastor told him it the end of the world was coming.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by gandkiss: 2:25pm On Jul 12, 2012
nigerians always like the simple n easy solution and to them dats PRAYER,then dey sit back,lay back and await a miracle.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by ogbonoeba: 2:27pm On Jul 12, 2012
all4naija: They say, action speaks louder than words. But, in Nigeria the reverse is always the case. There are curious reasons behind what has now become part of the culture of the people, going by lazy attitude to find solution and the ignorance to question what they believes. There are clear evidences of comments posted on Nairaland community to support the claim of the topic. These evidences significantly represent the reality on ground, of what is happening the Nigerian society.

Don't forget the fasting that goes with the prayer.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
Nigerians can never take the necessary actions to fight the deplorable state of the nation because:

NIGERIANS ARE AFRAID TO DIE.

It is therefore necessary to delegate these actions to an immortal entity called God/Allah/Gani fawehimi
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
Prayer can never give anyone money. Prayer is a medium of personal spiritual growth and not for physical or financial growth. If you pray to God to give you money, you are bound to die poor. Money is a reward for hardwork, smartwork, enterprise mindset and strategy. Praying for money is illusion and self-deceit. It doesnt work.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Alfoasegh: 2:32pm On Jul 12, 2012
When I was in elemetary school, I was thought to work hard and pray hard, not pray hard and pray harder.
Whenever I had exams to write, I prepared very hard and always made sure I left no stones unturned in my preparations. Although I usually prayed, it was not for a miracle per se but to ask that I should not be a victim of "missing answer scripts", "teachers marking results sheets in a state of drunkeness", or "sheer misappropraiation of results during compilation". In other words, my prayers were for me to be given marks that I rightly laboured for and deserved and not for some supernatural occurences.
So, until Nigerians start imbibing the culture of working and mapping out realistic strategies for achieving set goals and not waiting for some divine interferences in the natural scheme of things (through prayers), we will continue to be where we are today.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Kelvinkipler(m): 2:34pm On Jul 12, 2012
kitty kat: Because they r religious simple. Again, its a lot more easier to sit and pray than to crack ur head thinking about a soltuin that would require behavioural changes or running abt. Smart gees. Just open ur mouth and blablabla. And they 4get that faith without works is death

if u claim to have faith in something and u work for it, then u get results, what actually worked for u? ur faith or ur works? dont misinterpret the holy scriptures to back ur comments.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by alaoeri: 2:35pm On Jul 12, 2012
Prayers without action 'll lead to no place, nigerians are just hypocrites hiding under religion. As BH is killing, ppl in government embezzling and the masses fold their hands and praying nothing 'll change for good, Unless the populace realize that they are really suffering and rise to the injustice. Remember God won't come down or send an angel its by our hands that ωε 'll change our affairs.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by stagger: 2:38pm On Jul 12, 2012
As a Christian and a die-hard Winner, I will say one thing:

The attitude of many Christians to problems is very appalling. When Moses got to the Red Sea and began crying to God, God Himself got annoyed and asked him pointedly why he was crying to Him when he had already been given a tool to use and divide the sea.

Even the book of 2 Peter 1:3 said:

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

What is prayer really? Prayer is an avenue of communication with God. It is an avenue where I meet God, thank Him for all He has done for me, ask for forgiveness of my sins, and then ask Him to show me how to actualize His plan for my life.

I CANNOT RECALL WHEN LAST I ASKED GOD FOR MONEY IN PRAYERS, because He has already set out principles regarding how to get money and make a livelihood:

- you must work to eat
- He will bless the work of your hands, meaning if you have no work or you cannot create work for yourself, you will not have money. It is not rocket science.

The problem with most Nigerians is that we are mentally lazy, and are then quick to ascribe our self-made deficiencies as "the will of God" and then start "praying" without any thought as to how to solve the problem.

How many Christians actually sit down after prayer to say to themselves: "how do I solve this problem", and then with a book and biro, start exploring options by deep critical thinking and writing the ideas down.

If you come to my house, I have a cabinet where I write all my business plans, business ideas, contacts, relevant info I pick from talking with people, from the internet, even here from Nairaland (the amount of info on Nairaland cannot be quantified with money), etc, and use it to solve all my problems.

Ask Christians how many of them keep a book which should serve as their "life think tank". You will see that more than 99% do not have.

We pray to God to give us money, to bless us, we pay tithes, give offerings etc. But it does not stop there. Between the time of planting a seed and reaping the harvest, there is a lot of work to be done. And this "lot of work" is where too many people just leave it to God to do for them. Unfortunately, God does not operate like that. He expects us to do our bit, and then he will crown our efforts.

So left to me, I would say there is a prayer:work imbalance in our society. God expects us to work. EVEN GOD WORKED and is still working. You think it is easy to attend to billions of prayers every single day? Imagine if you had a billion emails all requiring attention that day, and when completed, a fresh set comes. God is busy, He works, and he expects us created in His image and likeness to do the same.

SO if you are the type that believes in 100% prayer without the accompanying effort to go with it, I am sorry for you. You go pray tire without results, while those who pray and then step out and take action to get the answers to their prayers will be reaping the results.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Eltonluigi(m): 2:39pm On Jul 12, 2012
If it brings me to my knees, it's a bad religion.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Fhemmmy: 2:43pm On Jul 12, 2012
Prayers is giving God permission to act on your behalf.
Yes, sometimes, we have to act and not just pray, but prayers are never too much
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by esere826: 2:45pm On Jul 12, 2012

Because we've watched people b4 us WORK HARD without any result, and guess what! they don't blame God but the devil

We've also watched people including our pastors not doing much tangible stuff but yet buying private jets and dating the prettier girls, and guess what! they say its God that did it through their PRAYER grin

So as humans, we only take the route that we feel is easier, or at least won't cost us much. The only thing that is spoiling this route is that the pastors have further informed us that God has instructed that they take custody of a significant portion of our money.

Well, we are presently trying this, and if it doesnt work, those after us will then adopt new strategies .. maybe aetheism like the Europeans did
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
Agiliti: I think it's mainly caused by christianity, the bible is a very wise book, but somethings just don't make sense to me in it. How can one man who is supposed to be all powerful be beaten and crucified by his enemies and instead of showing them his true power, all he does is to forgive them for they don't know what they're doing?? but the same person can resurrect lazarus, heal the sick, make food from thin air, and even walk on water. In a place like Naija, the new testament does more harm than good and exalts weakness. at least the old testament was better with a no nonsense God

You may have a point. However, the message Jesus was trying to send was Tolerance. Jesus didn't sit around and spread the gospel. He did not condone lazyness and extreeme inaction.

If the world went by an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth philosophy, the world would be toothless and blind.

Having said that, patience has limit and common sense ought to tell one when to act to bring out result. Even, jesus christ himself demostrated this humanly, when gamblers and merchants were using the house of God for their activities.

Spirituality has been replaced with utter religiousity. And logic has taken a back sit.

Religion has become the opium of the people even when common sense and action was desperately needed.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Fhemmmy: 2:53pm On Jul 12, 2012
Agiliti: I think it's mainly caused by christianity, the bible is a very wise book, but somethings just don't make sense to me in it. How can one man who is supposed to be all powerful be beaten and crucified by his enemies and instead of showing them his true power, all he does is to forgive them for they don't know what they're doing?? but the same person can resurrect lazarus, heal the sick, make food from thin air, and even walk on water. In a place like Naija, the new testament does more harm than good and exalts weakness. at least the old testament was better with a no nonsense God

If you look in the bible well and see the reasons why he came . . . You will understand why He never avoided the punishment.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 12, 2012
@OP

Some of the blame should be directed at clergymen. Because the people have become desperate for solutions, these clergymen capitalize on their insecurities and fear for the future and take advantage of them.

You see religious centers springing up all over the places more than startup firms. Competiting with businesses for a spac
e in major towns,thereby, raising the cost of real estate and cost of doing real business.

A campaign should be directed at these fake clergymen who con innocent people into believing that prayers alone can solve all their problems.

You can start by confronting and debunking their propaganda when you come across such.

Nigeria is morally and logically bankrupt.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by horny4u(f): 3:06pm On Jul 12, 2012
Of course !
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by nora544: 3:10pm On Jul 12, 2012
When I read this

This love story is the answer to our many years of prayers and fasting. We are very excited & thrilled by this.

or this

Let ur husband quit smoking,dat is the major problem..just yesterday I was listening to one of d radio station and d doc was saying something like ur case,smoking he said cause low sperm count.pray for him to quit smoking.

why nobody can tell this woman look that you show him what smoking make with you, for every problem i hear only please pray good will help you.

When somebody has no work i read please pray god will help you, when you pray the hole day than you will never find a job.

I belive in god and I pray but i cannot pay my bills when i am only make praying and fasting that will never work.

I cannot change a country when I only pray and fast and hope that when I come home from church there is money in my house without working because god give me money because i pray so hard.
Re: Nigerians Love Prayers More Than Actions by slimming: 3:18pm On Jul 12, 2012
We simply put the creator first,before the creation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do We Still Have Some Communities In Igbo Land Still Eats Humans? / Kuta, Osun State: Sell Groundnuts And Die / Out Of All The Tribes In Nigeria Igbos Tend To Have The Broadest Features

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.