Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,971 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (5290 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 29, 2013
Acts/Deeds that are considered taboo vary from place to place, culture to culture.
So the aim of the thread is to list deeds that are deemed an abomination/taboo in your culture or locality.
For instance, killing of the Eke-Idemmili (this is a python/snake) is a taboo in the Idemmili area of Igbo land.
Awka people also forbid the killing of their monkeys. But same cannot be said about the rest of Igbo land, so if you have peculiar acts from your locality, it is welcome!

Now, where I come from in Igbo land, suicide is a taboo/abomination.
Likewise, incest, cannibalism, adultery, homosexual practices... Can't give an exhaustive list...

You'll agree with me that the "tabooness" of inbreeding differs from place to place as I hear some culture allow marriage to cousins
Cannibalism nko? Somebody please educate me on the Abiriba People.
Adultery? Heard of this Tiv practice of offering their wife to a guest as a show of hospitality!

Now, if you can, state the taboo/abomination, the context and their punishment/consequences for a person found wanting.
Re: Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. by olymurphy(f): 8:43am On May 30, 2013
A wife beating a husband is a taboo in igboland.
First to comment and dancing Alingo tongue
Re: Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 30, 2013
olymurphy: A wife beating a husband is a taboo in igboland.
First to comment and dancing Alingo tongue
Lol, what kind of woman beats her husband?
If that occurs, what happen to the woman, as in consequence?
Re: Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 28, 2013
Bump

(1) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Tribe Is The Best At speaking English? / Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge / Settlement Of Marine Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.