Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,565 members, 7,816,382 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? (22523 Views)

If You Could Be One Age Forever, What Age Would You Choose? / At What Age Should A Naija Guy Be Looking To Get Married? / Are U Proud To Be Called A Nigerian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by MyJoe: 1:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
vescucci: There's no specific age. Especially the upper limit. Maybe there's a lower limit. Many people are still children at 70. Basically many people got it right in my opinion. Being a man is being an adult male (which means taking responsibility for your actions) who has had some experience borne out of mistakes and wrong choices. That's mainly what I consider what being a man is
I think subjectivity is okay if we are talking about what you "consider" being a man. I understand that "there are men and there are boys". But this thread is about how people are addressed. In this wise, there is no subjectivity on the matter. A man is an adult male human being - that is, someone who is 18 years and over. Thus, the phrase, "a 21-year-old boy", which you sometimes find in Nigerian newspapers, is an oxymoron since there are no 21-year-old boys.

This problem started with European colonisers. They were loth to consider black men to be men, hence they referred to and treated them as boys. Our people inherited this and things have tended to remain so ever since. If 18 and above, especially 21 and above, and someone calls you a boy, you can politely tell the person so stop addressing you that way and educate them on the subject of how adult male human beings are addressed.
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by doublecross(m): 1:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
i have read all the comments so far on this issue and nobody seems to be wise enought o hit the nail on the head. the only time you can be called a man is when you hammar enough money. I mean money is something that can change the world. with money, the thinking of a 10 yr old boy will drastically change in no time. the way he conducts himself will also change. he can even date girls older than him.
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by 2makeit(m): 1:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
miketonic: once he INSERT his JOYSTICk in a female PUNNY...thats when he is considered a MAN

seconded !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i strongly disagree.

You are a man when you start to fend for yourself and pay bills....NOW YOUR ARE A MAN.
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by Guguru102(m): 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
once he has attain the age of 30yrs
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cool cool cool cool cool cool undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided[/sup][sup][/sup][sup]
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by Unessien(m): 6:13pm On Jul 13, 2012
take her out sleep with her make sure she scream before u leave her next time someone called called u a boy in that office she will speak for u.
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by vescucci(m): 7:22pm On Jul 13, 2012
MyJoe:
I think subjectivity is okay if we are talking about what you "consider" being a man. I understand that "there are men and there are boys". But this thread is about how people are addressed. In this wise, there is no subjectivity on the matter. A man is an adult male human being - that is, someone who is 18 years and over. Thus, the phrase, "a 21-year-old boy", which you sometimes find in Nigerian newspapers, is an oxymoron since there are no 21-year-old boys.

This problem started with European colonisers. They were loth to consider black men to be men, hence they referred to and treated them as boys. Our people inherited this and things have tended to remain so ever since. If 18 and above, especially 21 and above, and someone calls you a boy, you can politely tell the person so stop addressing you that way and educate them on the subject of how adult male human beings are addressed.

In short, gbam! How's it hanging, MyJoe?
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by frikuenci(m): 7:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
Real men starts at 17:59 with a Real lerger beer for real men but u gat to be 18 and above.
Lahz!!

Jokes apart. The moment you start taking responsibility for your decisions no matter awkward then you the man.
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by MyJoe: 8:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
vescucci:

In short, gbam! How's it hanging, MyJoe?
Calm and peaceful. I trust you are doing well too.
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by tryoliviame: 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2012
Well I thank u all for ur comments. The man in question like to argue too much and wen the woman wants to excuse him so to avoid the querrel, he commands her to stay put while he continue to talk until it get intense thereby beating her. As we speak the man have been fined by the community head for constant beating of wife thereby disturbing the neighbourhood.
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by frikuenci(m): 10:32pm On Jul 18, 2012
This should be a summary of the thread title. It also depends on our own perception of the picture.

Simply put, He's got a praying wife to watch his back while he protects his family against the world.That's a Real Man.

Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by Probz(m): 12:12pm On Oct 04, 2019
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by Dominion375: 11:52pm On Mar 22, 2021
The boy is already a man.....
Re: At What Age Should A Boy Be Called A Man? by meobizy(f): 6:59am On May 19, 2021
You are a man when you learn that people's opinions don't mean anything. For most males this starts somewhere in late puberty.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Would You Feel If A Loved One Forgot Your Birthday? / How To Survive This Current Situation In Nigeria / Nigerians Top Forbes’ African Person Of The Year Shortlist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.