Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Is Vista Really A 3d Os? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Vista Really A 3d Os? (2315 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Niggy(m): 3:48pm On Dec 04, 2007
I just kept wondering if M$ Vista is really a 3D OS. I use Beryl on my KDE Desktop running on Fedora core 6. I could feel the 3D, composite rendering, transparency etc and several other effects. But i've never really noticed any 3D or animated effect on my dual booted Vista Ultimate. Or am i missing something in what M$ called 3D in Vista.

This is beryl on fc6 running on my 1G RAM, 1.86Ghz laptop. Note the transparency, glass ,glossy effect in the picture. Beryl has 3D cube rotating effect and lots more. So please what 3D effect can Vista do?

Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by naijafan(m): 6:52pm On Dec 04, 2007
i dont see what you mean by '3d' cos that picture up there is painfully 2D.

there's a difference in starting a thread for information sake and starting one for arguments sake. maybe you shld compare windows XP and Vista icons side by side.

duh!
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by blogtech(m): 7:01pm On Dec 04, 2007
To my own view i guess Vista A 3d Os to you,base on your explaination! smiley
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by naijafan(m): 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2007
@blogtech

i dont knw your definition of '3D'. None of the OSs (Fedora wateva, and/or Vista) is 3D, except you mean the shiny round icons. .

when did curved edges become known as 3D ?!
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Niggy(m): 10:11am On Dec 05, 2007
hey naijafan, slow down man. Is the new second pic 3D enough for you. I pretty understand dat u know little in the world of linux or Window OS. This thread is not for argument sake, just little comparism of fact. It's for Linux Geeks and Windows Admins.
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 05, 2007
http://www.otakusoftware.com/deskspace/index.html

this software does the same thing.it used to be free and hosted on crystal xp. i guess the developer decided to get paid. . .

the flip 3d MS refers to has to do with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/flip3d.mspx

Scan all open windows in one easy view.

Using the new Windows Aero technology, available in Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate editions, Windows Flip and Windows Flip 3D render live thumbnail images of the exact contents of your open windows, making it easier to identify the one you want. Windows Flip improves on the ALT+TAB method for flipping between windows, while Windows Flip 3D dynamically displays all open windows in a graceful three-dimensional view.

Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Ralvy(m): 10:59am On Dec 05, 2007
Well . . . I agree with Niggy!
Just that, u were not taking the right screenshots to show the what 3D really means cheesy

These are my Screenshots on Windows XP

I will be uploading Linux Shots Immediately!

Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 05, 2007
no mind me. . . i no get vista. . .yet. . .

as soon as my luvly m90 comes in . . .
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Ralvy(m): 11:05am On Dec 05, 2007
If U look very closely, you can see my other desktops throught the cube. . .
Now thats wht I'm talking about. . .  grin

See this plain Linux shot, I was installing Windows Server 2k3 in Ubuntu

Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Ralvy(m): 11:09am On Dec 05, 2007
Now see this water effects. . .
Looks like the system is soaked. . . cheesy

Then see the Beryl effects!

The quality is awesome, I had to compress to beat the upload limit on NL.

Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Ralvy(m): 11:12am On Dec 05, 2007
@naijafan;
I await ur Response . . . tongue undecided
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by naijafan(m): 11:20am On Dec 05, 2007
@niggy
you honestly got me laughing. Linux geeks and windows admin. . . yea, right. So it now takes a geek to tell the difference btw a ball and a circle, i hear you quite alright.

while i'm not gonna bother disproving the fact that i knw little abt windows and linux os, duh. Just for the record, been on windows since 3.11.

Wateva 3d image posted up there is comparable to flip 3d in vista. . . its a play on image perspective to give a 3d impression. . .
you had to install beryl on your fedora core to get it. . . but its native to Vista. Come on, dont tell me about the differences, cos if they where the same, you'd say one copied the other. . . dude, gimme a break! angry

@ralvy
all this is getting out of hands. the screenshots do no good, cos Niggy specifically pointed a finger at the operating system, rather than applications. Maybe when you can interact with desktop objects in such a 'perspective' state, you can come back and tell me which OS is 3D.

I guess we should be comparing OpenGL with DirectX cos that's what drives the operation of taking a shot of the current screenstate and putting it into perspective, thus fooling 'Niggy' into thinking the OS is '3D'  grin

@topic
Flip3D in Vista displays live thumbnails of the applications being put into perspective. i.e. a movie will keep playing in that state. That's closer to 3D than putting screenshots into perspective, DUH lipsrsealed
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Niggy(m): 11:44am On Dec 05, 2007
@naijafan Beryl comes with fedora core 7, compiz equally comes with fedora core 6. Beryl is available in core 6 extra repo. And i know many other distros have beryl, compiz or compiz-fusion pre-installed, so what is your point? You understand little about 3D obviously. You just defined 3D correctly and u are equally criticizing your definition. Everything in a computer is never real. They are bits of 0 and 1, so for u to accomplished a 3D effect u ve to play on images. It is simple logic. Enough of this attack please. just post facts concerning the topic, ok?
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by naijafan(m): 12:18pm On Dec 05, 2007
@NIggy

oh well, Beryl comes with Fedora Core 7. doesnt make it a component of the operating system. Hello? Sounds more like comparing Windows media player wit the multimedia codecs that come along wit Windows, one is a component of the operating system, the other, is an application. Worse still, the beryl project is a stand alone group.

I understand 3D. What i dont understand is calling an OS 3D. Can you operate any of the operating systems in 3D ?

I'll like to ask you. Is windows vista 3D? if no, why?
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by bigrovar(m): 12:44pm On Dec 05, 2007
naijafan:

@niggy
you honestly got me laughing. Linux geeks and windows admin. . . yea, right. So it now takes a geek to tell the difference between a ball and a circle, i hear you quite alright.

while i'm not going to bother disproving the fact that i knw little about windows and linux os, duh. Just for the record, been on windows since 3.11.

Wateva 3d image posted up there is comparable to flip 3d in vista. . . its a play on image perspective to give a 3d impression. . .
you had to install beryl on your fedora core to get it. . . but its native to Vista. Come on, don't tell me about the differences, because if they where the same, you'd say one copied the other. . . dude, gimme a break! angry

@ralvy
all this is getting out of hands. the screenshots do no good, because Niggy specifically pointed a finger at the operating system, rather than applications. Maybe when you can interact with desktop objects in such a 'perspective' state, you can come back and tell me which OS is 3D.

I guess we should be comparing OpenGL with DirectX because that's what drives the operation of taking a shot of the current screenstate and putting it into perspective, thus fooling 'Niggy' into thinking the OS is '3D' grin

@topic
Flip3D in Vista displays live thumbnails of the applications being put into perspective. i.e. a movie will keep playing in that state. That's closer to 3D than putting screenshots into perspective, DUH lipsrsealed

Man u can argue for windows on anything but please don't come near GUI when it comes to linux, for now linux is king, what are u talking about, that your stupid windowed desktop that is more like a Blackboard /poster is what u are comparing to the intuitive and dynamic desktop that is used by linux, ? haaah May God for give u for your blasphemy, and from the way u are talking u probably have never seen a proper Linux, CUS if u have , u will ask for forgiveness for your miss yarning, so what do u call 3d hen , yeah still images can't convey 3d as good as live moving picture so i will tell u to go to youtube just type compiz fusion, on the search field and come back to tell me what u got, what is 3d in vista ? the whole aero thing is a big sham, and that is what comsumes about 600mb of your ram and eats your battery for lunch yet it can't do 2% of what u can do on compiz fusion which uses less than 64mb of ram, u can even run it on the lowest graphic card arround, as am talking to u my friend is telling me silence is the best answer for a fool, but i don't think u a fool , u are just need to be educated on the world outside windoze that is all, and about the directx/opengl thing the only difference is that one is closed sourced and restricted and the other is open source and dynamic, non is inferior to the other, oh did i just say that? mehn Opengl kills direct x , abi u fit do all what u could do on compiz on windows ?

Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by bigrovar(m): 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2007
Flip3D in Vista displays live thumbnails of the applications being put into perspective. i.e. a movie will keep playing in that state. That's closer to 3D than putting screenshots into perspective, DUH Lips sealed

i didnt see that post , mehn i now know for sure that u have no idea about what u are talking about, thank God for free speech otherwise pple like u should be mouth gaged , soo the cube on linux is just a screenshot ehen mehn please try find out more about something b4 u make a post so that u dont disgrace ur self in public, if u dont know i can start 4 movie and move them to each one of my desktop cube and activate the cube and watch all movies , all i can just use the expo plugin,oh shit u probably dont know what that is ,or scale,or scale flip, ok ok i will post screenshot to make u understand what am talking about, who knows might just learn one or 2 things about the world of unix,

Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Ralvy(m): 3:18pm On Dec 05, 2007
okay. . . .BABA is here grin
End of thread! smiley wink angry sad shocked cool embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry cheesy wink

BIGBROVAR UR DA MAN
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Ralvy(m): 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2007
I HAD TO LOOK AT THIS AGAIN . . .
NOW THIS IS A FULL STOP. . . .

THATS WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT. . . .

@ ALL U WIN SUCKERS . . . .
GET UR ASS IN UBUNTU FAST
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by naijafan(m): 3:26pm On Dec 05, 2007
bigrovar:

that your stupid windowed desktop that is more like a Blackboard /poster is what u are comparing to the intuitive and dynamic desktop that is used by linux
Lol. . .multiple desktops uhn, or wat?! Default installations of Vista and of Ubuntu are basically the same. Stop living on third party software pls. . . Niggy specifically pointed out to the OS. I'm not bringing in 3rd party apps into this.

bigrovar:

from the way u are talking u probably have never seen a proper Linux
Sounds like your proper linux is the same as a teenage kid whose proper windows includes StyleXP or WindowBlinds. Nevermind. i'm cool without the apps that have nothing to do with productivity.

bigrovar:

i will tell u to go to youtube just type compiz fusion, on the search field and come back to tell me what u got
here we go again, third party.

bigrovar:

abi u fit do all what u could do on compiz on windows ?
and when did compiz become a platform? there's a difference between the operating system and an application.

I dont have a problem with linux. its cool and I've even got Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04 alpha) installed, posting from it right now. The seeming advantages linux has over windows are simply advantages of open source software over closed. That's why the courts complain when Microsoft bundles media player with its OS but cant talk wen OpenOffice.org is bundled with almost all Linux distros.

Direct attacks at windows like this one cannot be justified. . .cos it becomes a case of what do pple really want? Microsoft breaking anti-trust laws and putting it all in one box, or a barebones OS that satisfies the courts and the competition.

Ralvy:

@ ALL You WIN SUCKERS . . . .
GET UR ASS IN UBUNTU FAST
I respect you but stop being a fanatic. ok?
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by bigrovar(m): 9:08pm On Dec 05, 2007
Lol. . .multiple desktops uhn, or what?! Default installations of Vista and of Ubuntu are basically the same. Stop living on third party software please. . . Niggy specifically pointed out to the OS. I'm not bringing in 3rd party apps into this.
mahn i don't understand u again o, just when i though your argument was weird u stepped up to the ridiculous, how can u call compiz fusion a 3rd party app.

mehn that is just the height , by the way is it that u are so desperate for point that u have to resort to such illiterate conclusion, u don't have any understand of linux so shut up, ok let me educate u, u see my friend , Linux is a community based os , ie it is developed by a armies of volunteers (developers) who are divided into different project, which projects are ment to create programs which can be used to enhance the Linux based distros, we have people who work on improving the Linux kernel,some on desktops environments like KDE,GNOME,ENLIGHTENMENTS etc, some on cross platform programs like Wine,ntfs config, etc, some on multimedia like amarok,rhythm box etc. , all the projects and many more are developed by the Linux developers who are part of the communities, every linux distribution like ubuntu,fedora,redhat etc would then choose which of these projects there wants to add as default for their own os , e.g SUSE a linux distro uses KDE as its defaults Desktop environment,even though u can install Gnome on it , that does not mean that the gnome DE is a "3rd party apps"naa gnome is as a part of linux just as the windows shell is a part of windows .it just that unlike on windows the only choose of GUI u have is the windows shell on linux u have the choose to choose any GUI Manager / Desktop environment u want, e.g ubuntu comes with Gnome as default Desktop Environment but i installed KDE,enlightenments,xfce and flubar, these are all Desktop environments that i can use with my linux system, each as its file manager, default music player etc, the compiz u are talking about is a project that was developed to add 3d enviroments to the linux GUI enviroments, when it started there was a disagreements so some people wents and formed beyl which as more effects compared to compiz which was boring, latter the two settled and remarged to form compiz fusion, which is now stable, the once avaliable before was the beta version called bleeding edge in linux, that was why it did not come as default which many distro before bcus it was not stable, even at that it worked better than the over bloated areo effect of vista, which uses 600mb of your run, now that compiz fusion is stable ubuntu desided to make it default for their own os, and what is the compiz we are even talking about, compiz is just a windows manager for the linux X server, the X server is the base of all the DEs of linux, that is why compiz is DE independents it works on KDE,GNOME,XFCE ETC. , SO guy stop embarrassing yourself by taking about things u have no idea of, your first agreements was that it was not offer real 3d but just screenshots, later it became its a 3rd party app, i bet now u know better

Sounds like your proper linux is the same as a teenage kid whose proper windows includes StyleXP or WindowBlinds. Nevermind. i'm cool without the apps that have nothing to do with productivity.

just like i said ealier compiz is as part of the linux desktop environments just like the windows shell is to windows, talk about windows blind . do u know that the aero effect u have on vista was first developed in GUI styles as a skin to windows blind, Mircrosucks then had to out source the whole aero project to the kid . that is why aero works like a 3rd party apps on windows consuming 80% of your memory if u use a 1gb ram on vista, that sucks and it is not good for productivity, infact most people i know disable areo cus its chops too much batt and makes your system run sluggishly, unlike compiz which actually enhance your productivity cus it uses very little resources infact my friends old dell p3 with 250mb of ram and 8mb of graphic memo runs fine with compiz, if my work space i crowded i simply move my work to another desktop, i can i different things running on each desktop and my system will not slow down one bit, i can power my system from morning till night infact for 24hrs which powering down and the system would just be as fresh as new, even if i install over 500 packages on linux i wont notice the different if i have just 20, this are things i have tried and tested so i know aht am talking about, what do u want to tell me about windows, i was once like u too , but i tried ubuntu and i never came back if u doubt read these thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=45022.msg1206031#msg1206031
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Niggy(m): 9:31am On Dec 06, 2007
Thanks bigrovar, u are a real advocate of linux.
This is a life experience of windows for me about a month ago. I had a database project to manage. i provided the company with a linux database server while they came with 5 other computer system running windows OS. Two were running Vista, while the other 3 were running xp. after 4 days of database input, 1 of the vista system crashed, and all the xp system go infected with virus.( the notepad virus in circulation like two months ago). The linux server which equally runs a desktop was unshaven. The Director and other staffs were glad, cos a good choice of server OS was made by me. The earlier wanted to use Access on xp for the database project.
This is just a simple example of real time situation on productivity. For now, i still believe windows has a Good GUI interface, but what is a GUI interface when we are talking about Billions of Dollars project. Windows offer supports definitely, but they will demand for unreasonable huge amount of ur precious profit in the name of customer support which the hardware vendors have been made victim of. Windows now have a hook on many hardware vendors and when their customers made a complain on the OS, windows cunningly refer them to the hardware vendor. That's why DEL wants to break out of the spell.
Linux for me have always been a good choice.

Off the thread, does anyone has fedora core 8 pls.
Re: Is Vista Really A 3d Os? by Machiavelli01: 11:03am On Feb 03, 2009
Hello, plz can i link u up wit my broda. He's a stdnt of EE dept in NAU 500 4 more info?

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Code Used To Recharge Multilinks Modem? / Please How Do I Reset My Lg Home Theatre / Acer Aspire 5736Z Drivers For Windows 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.