Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,540 members, 7,770,404 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:22 AM

Starting Daycare - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Starting Daycare (9230 Views)

Paid Live-in Nannies Vs Professional Daycare, Which Is Better For Babies? / Ohio Daycare Worker Molested Babies, Filmed One Of Them / Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting Daycare by agiboma(f): 6:32pm On Jul 13, 2012
Hi all,

Just wanted some advice about putting my son into daycare. He is turning 2 tommorrow and i think its time i start him in a day program. Like i was thinking about bringing him by 10 am and picking him up by 1 pm. I am incredibly nervous about this and it really makes me sick to my stomach to think about leaving him in someone else's hands. To make matters worse i really dont know about the standard of care young children receive in day programs in this Nigeria. Can someone please advise on how to cope with this transition. How can i make it easier on my son who is incredibly clingy and also on myself. Only people that want to give mature advise should respond.

thanks
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
Since you are self employed,I think you should still try and make time for your baby,because at two she is still a BABY.On the other hand if you MUST put the child in a day care,I think you need to ask people around your neighbour hood for good day care centres in your locality.
You might need to conduct private interviews with people running any centre you choose to enroll your child.You will need to take your time because some of these centres are day cares in name only and have been set up as money making organisations by their owners where little kids sre abandoned to themselves immediately they are dropped off by their parents.As I said take your time and choose wisely.
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2012

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Daycare by ronkebp(f): 10:17pm On Jul 13, 2012
agiboma: Hi all,

Just wanted some advice about putting my son into daycare. He is turning 2 tommorrow and i think its time i start him in a day program. Like i was thinking about bringing him by 10 am and picking him up by 1 pm. I am incredibly nervous about this and it really makes me sick to my stomach to think about leaving him in someone else's hands. To make matters worse i really dont know about the standard of care young children receive in day programs in this Nigeria. Can someone please advise on how to cope with this transition. How can i make it easier on my son who is incredibly clingy and also on myself. Only people that want to give mature advise should respond.

thanks

Your child needs to mix up with other kids, and putting him in a day-care is a good way to start. Whether he turns 10, you will still be nervous, you have to make up your mind, no mother wants to be separated from her children and vice versa....

the first week will be tough for both you and your son....but he will be fine....if someone tells me that my son will be the don in his class, i will say it's a lie grin grin grin, he will be turning 2 too August (by God's Grace) and he is doing fine there. You will have to be strong and make up your mind. it is not easy....(i must tell you).

1 Like

Re: Starting Daycare by agiboma(f): 10:28pm On Jul 13, 2012
@ Rich you are right he is indeed still a baby and he needs me. I think the best i can do is hire someone that can look after him while i work, so that person can come to the office with me and just feed him and tend to his needs. until he is older.

@chaircover well i agree with you completely about him starting daycare once he can communicate and tell me every detail about his day. I think if i start him in a few more years it will be better because my anxiety will be greatly reduced. I was thinking of putting him in one of those so called affluant schools, but after reading your post i dont think thats a good idea. To find a place where they truely love children more than money in this Nigeria well i think it may be close to impossible.

@ Ronke girl you in the USA oooo, i got to contemplate this real hard over in this neck of the bush. wink wink, i can say i ain't even close to ready for this seperation so let me post an ad for nanny in the day wanted wink wink wink
Re: Starting Daycare by ronkebp(f): 10:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
You are right with being in the USA is another thing....i personally do not trust anybody whether it is here or back home, i place my Child in the hands of God there in that daycare. though they are lovely and care for all the kids. And you trust to leave your child with some nanny??, who will be watching her??, you need to get a camera oooo?
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
agiboma: @ Rich you are right he is indeed still a baby and he needs me. I think the best i can do is hire someone that can look after him while i work, so that person can come to the office with me and just feed him and tend to his needs. until he is older)

Good.
That child still needs your care and close attention until he is about 5.
You should still be br.east feeding him and you want to go and put him in some 'orrible day care centre.
Take care of that kid.Lots of threads here about people looking for kids.
We need to learn to value what we have.The years slip away and run by so fast that you will soon be wondering where they have gone.This the time you really need to be close to your child and take him everywhere with you.
As usual goodluck.
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 13, 2012
^^^ Breast feeding a 2 yr old baby ke?

@ topic
At five your child should be in primary school not day care. My 10yr old niece is in high school now. I was also told that there are nice day cares in Lagos but seeing that you live in PH I wouldn't trust anyone of them there. But your child also has to start mixing up with other kids, that's one way he will
develop a lot of skills that will help grow later in life. Mixing up with different kids from diff cultural and religious background would help him in learning how to communicate with everyday people and deal with situations that arises.
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 12:11am On Jul 14, 2012
jennykadry: ^^^ Breast feeding a 2 yr old baby ke?

I will have you know that it is advisable for a mother to engage her child in exclusive brea.st feeding for the first six months of a child's life and from thereon for as long as the mother is comfortable with carrying on with this feeding while supplementing it with solid foods.
I wonder what this western civilization is turning African women into...but then I forgot you do not live in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Starting Daycare by Johndoe100(m): 12:23am On Jul 14, 2012
jennykadry: ^^^ Breast feeding a 2 yr old baby ke?

@ topic
At five your child should be in primary school not day care. My 10yr old niece is in high school now. I was also told that there are nice day cares in Lagos but seeing that you live in PH I wouldn't trust anyone of them there. But your child also has to start mixing up with other kids, that's one way he will
develop a lot of skills that will help grow later in life. Mixing up with different kids from diff cultural and religious background would help him in learning how to communicate with everyday people and deal with situations that arises.

The hate is clearly expressed. Maybe the witch wants you to move. If I were you I would discount anything this witch has to say. She does not wish you well. this is the best thing to do when you come across them.
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 12:55am On Jul 14, 2012
Richvkunt:

I will have you know that it is advisable for a mother to engage her child in exclusive brea.st feeding for the first six months of a child's life and from thereon for as long as the mother is comfortable with carrying on with this feeding while supplementing it with solid foods.
I wonder what this western civilization is turning African women into...but then I forgot you do not live in Africa.

I don't advise a mother to breast feed a 2 yr old kid. 6 months exclusive and once they get to 1yr please find a way to stop. This is not an African or westernized thing, I have been with Dr's in lagos who share the same opinion as I do. Go to chevron hospital in gbagada or lekki peninsula no mother there is advised to breast feed a 14 month old baby let alone a 2 yr old. Go to satellite town close close to finnger, hospitals there do not support that. I had this aunt who was breast feeding her 2.3yr old son. It was embarrassing, the day she went to the "agboju market close to festac to buy her food stuffs and ended up breast feeding her child there though bossoms was covered , her customer yelled at her, the sellers close to her joined in, told her to stop and asked her what the hell she was doing breast feeding a child after 1 yr.

I have 10 and 11yr old nieces and their mums were told over a decade ago in Nigeria to stop at 1 yr. Some kids that breast feed at past 1 find it difficult eating solid foods that have got more nutrients to support their body system at that time that breast milk cannot anymore. I advised a nigerianfriend of mine to stop her 1.2month old from breast feeding if she really wants her to eat something else. This woman was complaining that her child does not want to eat solid food but breast milk. Such Kids suffer from malnutrition and I wish some mothers will know this and stop. She has stopped breast feeding this girl and it was tough but before you knew it the girl started eating other foods when she knew breast milk wasn't forth coming
Re: Starting Daycare by agiboma(f): 12:59am On Jul 14, 2012
@ rich you are right as always. So many people are looking for children and in my clinic i see them everyday. I even offer treatments that help women to get pregnant and beleive me when these women come in they tell me their entier life story whole heartedly, stories that include women looking to have a child after multiple miscarriages, low spe.rm count, some already have children and trying to have more but cant seem to get pregnant. I can go on and on about it but i won't. My clinic has humbled me so much in really appreciating my family both my son and his father. I see these women come into the clinic and fall in love with my son everyday, so when i come home and talk to hubby i can see how lucky i am and truely blessed for the family i got. I guess as the clinic is getting busy now i was feeling overwhelmed. But for the time being i wont let him out of my sight cheesy cheesy.

@ jk i do know that engaging with other kids will help in his growth and development, but i will hold off for a while if this was Canada i would be nervous about daycare at this age but OMG this is Nigeria so im like on the fence, i decided to allow his speech become more developed then ill revisit this idea.

Thank you all for you input i truely appreciate it wink
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 14, 2012
I honestly don't support day caring in nigeria but so far people have talked about good day care centres in Lagos as for PH, I have no idea. Good luck anyways
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 1:05am On Jul 14, 2012
Shey no be Nigeria where dem go call person witch for anything?

If you want to start one, better draw a strong contract and have a security guard working for you.
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 14, 2012
jenny you have come again - why can't people respectfully allow mothers to breastfeed in peace. If someone wants to breastfeed until 10 years self let them (JOKE!!!)

as for daycare - 2 is not too young even if its 2 days a week, it helps with their independence mixing with other kids. However it will be hard for you, I cried everyday the first week my daughter started childcare, even now I sometimes leave work early out of missing her so much.

As for daycare in PH - have u tried asking around - surly all these oil company employees can recommend excellent daycare for you.
Re: Starting Daycare by ifyalways(f): 8:38am On Jul 14, 2012
Internet Nigerians oh.
A whole Port harcourt, there are NO good creche?shuo.
With all the millionaires and billionaires living in this very naija?
@OP, ask your neighbours ! My last son started creche when he was 2 and he's doing very well. I don't work for no one but the the earlier the better. No one else can take care of your child like you and this applies to everywhere not just naija.the school in lagos my boys attend,each classroom is equiped with real time video surveillance which every parent can request for at any time. Abeg better and quality creches full naija, its only a matter of cash.
Btw, breastfeeding till 2 years is cool if you can, after 2 is weird!

2 Likes

Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 14, 2012
Lol@ cotton101

Wetin I do? grin I just spoke my mind na. No child should still be breatfeesing at the age of 2. Una wan turn that pikin to Mumu ni? Wth
Re: Starting Daycare by ronkebp(f): 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ladies....her grandfather has spoken....and it has been taken and noted. no need for further advise. cool cool cool...they will soon say taking the child to the daycare...is equal to divorce.
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 14, 2012

1 Like

Re: Starting Daycare by agiboma(f): 3:47pm On Jul 14, 2012
chaircover: I agree with the idea to get someone to help you when you are busy in the clinic; like his own nanny that you can keep an eye on and are both not too far away from you.

lol wink wink i like this idea very much.

ifyalways: Abeg better and quality creches full naija, its only a matter of cash.

Cash is not the problem here at all i have heard of the schools over here the expats send their kids upwards of 50-60k USD per year and thats ok once he reach the age for school i assume its 4 years old they officially start over here, but im not sure. Anyhow i will keep him with me and hire someone to come to the office in the day with me so i can keep an eye on him and her, but thats as far as i can go wink wink wink

As CC said this age he is at is very sweet let me enjoy it now. Pretty son he gonna be a rebellious teenager shocked and ill need these memories to see me through those years.

Thanks all
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 14, 2012
chaircover: agi I know about the social skills fear and I have been there too with a very shy daughter who when she finally said a word to the nursery teacher it was such an important leap that they wrote it in her daily take home book embarassed

Few years later . . My God!!! its chat, chat chat. We got her end of year report last week and the line that made me smile was her being a very popular girl in school, with many friends but very chatty. who would have thought that it was the same kid who used to cry when a stranger spoke to her back in the day.

What am I saying? dont worry about the social skills/clinging . . .he will grow out of it. Try and keep him as close to you as you can now and spend quality time with him now. Those years do fly and you will wonder where they went. Enjoy him and let him enjoy you. If i had a choice, none of my children will go to nursery. The truth is no one can look after your kid as well as you will. I agree with the idea to get someone to help you when you are busy in the clinic; like his own nanny that you can keep an eye on and are both not too far away from you.

Ahhh Looking at my initial post and yours, I can't help but to rotflmao @ myself lol. Next time, I'll def read the content.

Anywaz, it's children's nature to fear what is foreign to them i.e daycare. I remember when my grandma would drop me at school and I'd quietly follow her back home (without her knowing) lol. The more days they spend at daycare, the more familiar it becomes to them and the more relaxed they become.

The clinging-ness will disappear after she finds her age mate to socialize with. My little brother (who just graduated daycare (lol) this year was scared the first time we took him there. We had to pick him up early because he just kept crying. It took him a few weeks to get over it. Now he just can't wait to start kindergarten lol.
Re: Starting Daycare by deybowlah: 2:40am On Jul 15, 2012
@ poster, my own advise is to allow your son start creche now. I must say am not impressed with people's comment here.(sorry everyone) daycare in naija is not bad I can assure you to get a good one.I am a teacher and a masters student in early childhood education. Getting a nanny can't help ur son's social and cognitive skiLls. Starting now is best and you will be surprised at things he will learn.
If you wait till 3 or 4 for him to start, you may regret it unless he is not going to start in naija.
It is courage we need in training children cos no one can give ur child the type of care you will give
You can allow him go to daycare from 9am to 12PM daily

2 Likes

Re: Starting Daycare by Warfibabe(f): 5:06pm On Jul 15, 2012
To be very honest. . . I've neva seen nor hear dat any nigerian child still remains at home after s/he turns 2. . Whether the parents are working or not. Parents are usually eager enrol them in schools as soon as they start babbling words.

1 Like

Re: Starting Daycare by enaye1(f): 6:28pm On Jul 15, 2012
If you can help it wait till your baby can tell you how her day went before sending her anywhere. A good check too is to visit the daycare several times and observe how the babies interact with their minders and other kids. Also find out the minder/child ratio anything beyond 3 kids to a minder isnt good enough, imagine a mummy with more than triplets, she is human for God's sake! Check out the sleeping quarters too(they will be spending most of the time there) and see for yourself their laundry and toilets too. The kitchen is vital too.

1 Like

Re: Starting Daycare by agiboma(f): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2012
enaye1: If you can help it wait till your baby can tell you how her day went before sending her anywhere.

Yes! I can wait thats what im gonna do

Thanks all

2 Likes

Re: Starting Daycare by WudBMother: 10:04am On Jul 16, 2012
Re: Starting Daycare by Tobiegal(f): 11:59am On Jul 16, 2012
OP guess u ave made ur decision.

However, its not all sad story when it comes to creche o!

Ma boy started wen he ws 6mths, and yes it wsnt funnie at al. Sometimes, he cried so hard, he'l lost hs voice. I refused to go visit during d day cos I cldnt bear to hear him cry, I jst kept touch with d minder constantly.

All da drama ended after 2weeks.

Now, he gladly waves n say bye bye when I drop him every morning...and u'l cee him excited when I go pick him in d evening.

D benefits of creche goes beyond dem mixing... It also helps dem eat very well. When at home, he'd pick on hs food and nt eat, but, eats all his meals at creche. So, am not brothered when he doesn't really eat over d weekend, cos he'd makeup for it during d week.

And like I said, don't start wot u ave not made up ur mind for...

Cheers
Re: Starting Daycare by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 22, 2014
agiboma:
Hi all,

thanks

i got bak to work wen my baby was 7months nd she started creche. i alteenate formula nd breast milk for her til she was 4 months then graduated to frisogold wit sma infant .by 6months i started wit indomie,mashed potatoes and semo wit ewedu and titus or egg yolk.i stoped breasr feeding her at a year nd 6 months after which she started walking.the daycare help her develop faster in her speech and socializing.

she just clocked 2years this month and wil b resuming school by January(.KG1 ).

She has relly bin helpful wit little chores at home and talks well.she knows wen to use d potty and names of things and were to put them.

the creche relly helped.

1 Like

Re: Starting Daycare by ojiugoE: 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2016
Berylsprings Daycare/Creche/Nursery
A new daycare with a difference has just opened its doors in the garden City of Port Harcourt. We offer Daycare / Crèche services from 6am - 6pm everyday. Our facility is wired up with CCTV cameras to monitor the activities of the day. Parents can also call in on Skype to check in on their kids.
We also offer After school activities.....we offer pick up services from various schools in the Garden City of Port Harcourt and take them over to our facility. They take a nap, do their homework and then join any of the clubs - Reading, Creative Writing, Bible club and Spelling Bee club. For parents who indicate interest in the Bible Club, your kids are taught the bible one hour everyday for the whole term. That way, they are well grounded in God's word!
We also offer extra-curricular activities like Piano, Dance Classes (Salsa, Ballet and Traditional Dance), Board Games (Chess, Monopoly, Scrabble etc.).
What makes us stand out:
1. You call in on Skype video to view and check in on your child at any time of the day.
2. We are open 6am - 6pm.
3. We offer school pick up services all over the Garden City of Port Harcourt.
4. We offer Bible classes to the young children 1 hour everyday for parents who choose to sign up. Yes, our kids needs to be prepped for eternity too.
5. We have CCTV cameras monitoring the facility 247!
6. We light up the facility using clean and renewable energy.....solar panels. At least your kids are safe from noise and unhealthy fumes from the generator.
7. We have passionate caregivers to take care of your kids.
WE ARE BERYLSPRINGS DAYCARE/CRECHE/
NURSERY!!!
Please give us a try today!! A trial will sure convince you!!!
Visit us today at: Plot 40 Total Gospel Rd Off Peter Odili Rd, Port Harcourt.
Call us today at: 08059853786.
Email us: admin@berylsprings.com
Our website: www.berylsprings.com

1 Like

Re: Starting Daycare by prety86: 9:03pm On Aug 31, 2016
At age 2 somebody is thinking of daycare while my 2 yrs daughter is graduating from day care to inception one next month...she is the smartest girl have ever seen, relates with people very well.
People even doubt if she is really 2.
Did I tell u that she started day care at 3 months.
Madam look for a good one, check on him more often. Allow your son to mingle joor.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Daycare by rengsho: 3:29am On Mar 21, 2017
prety86:
At age 2 somebody is thinking of daycare while my 2 yrs daughter is graduating from day care to inception one next month...she is the smartest girl have ever seen, relates with people very well.
People even doubt if she is really 2.
Did I tell u that she started day care at 3 months.
Madam look for a good one, check on him more often. Allow your son to mingle joor.

I have 5 cousins that all started Day care at 3 Months cos their mum works in the Bank. And I must confess the girls are very intelligent and socializing. Their First born is now in JSS two.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Depressed Wife Needs Your Urgent Advice. / Pregnant But No Symptoms / Bride Price In Imo State Now 10,000naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.