Stats: 3,152,679 members, 7,816,782 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Top 10 Nigerian Brands - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top 10 Nigerian Brands (25912 Views)

10 Nigerian Multi-millionaires Never Heard Of........ / Business 3 Nigerian Brands Qualify For ‘top 10’ Africa Entrepreneurship Awards / 'How Nigerian Brands Can Compete Globally' - Expert (2) (3) (4)

Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 13, 2012
Unlike America where one can mention over a 100 Top brands and still count more. We can't say this same thing in Nigeria as businesses barely survive the 10years Operation Life Span.

I will be mentioning Nigeria's Top 10 brands from different categories.

Note : these chooses brands are based on the years they have been able to weather the storm, purely Nigerian produced and no franchising.

TOP 10 NIGERIAN BRANDS
--------------------------------------

*Indomie Noodles : (Food)
This Brand is over is over 20years in Nigeria and it is well recognized across every age group. It also a brand that maintained its value and taste over the years. Other competitors came slashing prices and making bigger packs but yet this product forced every single one of them out of market.

*First Bank : (Finance)
This is a really strong brand with well over a 100years of existence in the Nigeria sector. It is amongst the few Nigerian and African Businesses that has management to stamp a foot in different continents. This bank has acquire very big institutions and believed to have the most secure environment for employees. Also with the best yearly financial records and biggest asset.

*Tantalizers : (Food)
Established barely 10years ago, this brand has managed to be a house old name. Even with having very stiff competition, the brand has managed to survive in the Highly competitive food sector in Nigeria. Also one of the few companies on the Nigeria Stock Exchange that if in the food sector.

*Panadol: (Health)
This is an effective pain reliever which the generality of Nigerians give the generic name (Panadol) to other pain reliever brands. It is well trusted across all the country to knock out Head Ache and general body pains.

*EVA Water : (Food)
This brand came into the Nigerian market at a time when only 2 major bottled water (Swan and Ragolis) dominated the Market. The water has managed to survive withing the most competitive business sector in Nigeria (Water Production). It has become not only a house hold name but also a trusted brand.

*Onward Paper : (Office Tools)
The name will sure ring a bell amongst students from the mid 90s and downwards. It used to be the Only trusted brand by parents and teachers when they think of getting notebooks for their wards. Office have also used their envelops, Typing paper and other stationaries produced by the company over the years.

*Chivita Juice : (Beverage)
This brand has done well for itself with its 100% natural fruit flavours. It came at a point when most juices in Nigeria were imported. Over the year the bank has been able to do well for its self in the beverage business.

*Channels TV : (Media)
Though this media house wasn't the the first private tv station in Nigeria, the graduation walked its way to the top to be one of the best and Number One most trusted TV station for authentic news across Nigeria. Owned by a pronounced media professional wiith years of impeccable media practice.

*Delta Soap : (Health)
This medicated soap won its way through the hearts of Nigerians with its comical advert on 'beauty queens' in the late 90s. Owned by Orange Drug pharmaceuticals. The brand has managed to stay above every other Nigerian made Medicated Soap.

*MUDI Africa : (Fashion)
Owned and operated by the popular Clement Mudiagha Enajemo. This Brand celebrated its 20years in the Fashion business this year. With years of successful operation, this Fashion house has clothed Celebrities like Presidents of various countries, Footballers, Music icons, actors, and elites in general.
What's makes this brand tick is that it is the ONLY Nigerian Fashion house that has cut a niche for its self across the shores of Nigeria. With branches in Anthony, Ikoyi, Abuja, Port Harcout, Accra, Dakar, Nairobi, and Johannesburg. Of course we can't argue that this brand has made Nigerian's Proud.

Other top Brands which should also be apprciated for their product and service delivery over the years are;

*Mr Biggs : (Food)

*Globacom: (Telecommunication)

*Punch Newspaper : (Media)

*Tower Aluminium : (Manufacturing)

*Sweet Sensation : (Food)

*Nairaland : (Internet Forum)

*Diamond Bank : (Finance)

*Oando Oil: (Oil and Gas)

*University Of Lagos : (Education)

*City People Magazine sadMedia)

As a Brand Consultant, rating a brand goes just beyond its name familiarity. Things like brand awareness, acceptance, scandal or legal tussle free, development and customer satisfaction are things that are looked before rating a brand.

The list above selected 100% Nigerian owned (production).

Brands like Milo, Aerial, KFC and the rest are all franchises and as well as not readily available in other cities In Nigeria aside some few big cities.

For your free Brand and Management questions and advice, feel free to post them here as I am willing to answer your questions.

Cheers!

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by acidtalk: 11:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
So correct as weel on point.
Wanted to come of with my own list but can rarely think of any true Nigerian brand aside the one you have put up.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 16, 2012
acidtalk: So correct as weel on point.
Wanted to come of with my own list but can rarely think of any true Nigerian brand aside the one you have put up.

Seems only few people actually understands the importance of a brand.

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by BabaOlowo: 2:05pm On Jul 16, 2012
No 1: UNILAG!
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by sunjetg: 2:06pm On Jul 16, 2012
Did I see University of Lagos there?SMH..

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by NigeriaKwenu(m): 2:07pm On Jul 16, 2012
Rubbish

Someone will just pick big random companies and tell us that they're the biggest Nigerian brands.

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2012
i think you should include Dangote Cement and Innoson Motors in your top 10

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by ndidibabe(f): 2:15pm On Jul 16, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: Rubbish

Someone will just pick big random companies and tell us that they're the biggest Nigerian brands.
Don't mind him. I rate TOMTOm above Chivita

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by NigeriaKwenu(m): 2:18pm On Jul 16, 2012
Are Chivita and Eva water not Cocacola products? And is cocacola a Nigerian brand? Op, pls go and do your homework and submit it on a later date because with what you've done you may not graduate.

Afam4eva(mods, i'm waiting to be unbanned)

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by natasha: 2:18pm On Jul 16, 2012
FYI Panadol isnt a nigerian coy. Its owned by GSK pharmaceuticals neither is indomie as its owned by suskes - an indonesian coy.

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by blackbalang(f): 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2012
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 16, 2012
Your brand concept sound good, but aren't these below foreign brands ?

Idomie; owned by Indonesia. I suppose they gave you the right to manufacture them here.

Panadol is is foreign brand i guess.

Chivita ; if my memory serves me right was introduced by the Germans ?

Delta soap ; Orange drugs bought the right to market it here from the indonesians ?

Others in the list sound promising. Anyways, we need more entrepreneurs and indigenous brands in solid industries.

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by ANYPEN(m): 2:27pm On Jul 16, 2012
What about "Maggie" or "ovaltine", OMO nko?

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 16, 2012
fizofly:

TOP 10 NIGERIAN BRANDS
--------------------------------------

*Tantalizers : (Food)

*Spits his coffee all over his manager*
shocked shocked

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by reemix123(m): 2:30pm On Jul 16, 2012
Why is this nonsense on the front page ? This ain't no brand consultant cause he does not even know the difference between what is a brand, a franchise, a category and Nigerian produced or 100% Nigerian. Nairaland moderators don't disgrace yourselves

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 16, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: Are Chivita and Eva water not Cocacola products? And is cocacola a Nigerian brand? Op, pls go and do your. homework and submit it on a later date because with what you've done you may not graduate.
Guy u're wrong there 5ALIVE is to coca-cola, while CHIVITA is to 'House of Chi' though it's owned by a german but Indians run it it's u who should get his or her facts right..
Afam4eva(mods, i'm waiting to be unbanned)
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by ebamma(m): 2:33pm On Jul 16, 2012
let me include, yahoo yahoo, agberos,lastma,babalawos,okija shrine,bokoharam,molue .

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by stepo707: 2:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
reemix123: Why is this nonsense on the front page ? This ain't no brand consultant cause he does not even know the difference between what is a brand, a franchise, a category and Nigerian produced or 100% Nigerian. Nairaland moderators don't disgrace yourselves

LOL.
@op Most of the brands you listed are not Nigerians.Nairaland is proudly nigerian though. wink
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2012
ANY-PEN :
What about "Maggie" or "ovaltine", OMO nko?

They are foreign brands. Nestle and Unilever.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by ChrisChino(m): 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2012
where is STAR LAGER BEER? our own since 1947

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by abbey621(m): 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2012
Good concept but terrible analysis, your top ten brands are obviously screwed if you can't include JAMB and WAEC. Also, I think Dangote products should be among the top ten because the average household in Nigeria cannot go one day without using one of Dangote's products.

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2012
[quote author=NigeriaKwenu]Are Chivita and Eva water not Cocacola products? And is cocacola a Nigerian brand? Op, pls go and do your. homework and submit it on a later date because with what you've done you may not graduate.
Guy u're wrong there 5ALIVE is to coca-cola, while CHIVITA is to 'House of Chi' though it's owned by a german but Indians run it it's u who should get his or her facts right..
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 16, 2012
@OP how could you have left the almighty [size=15pt]DANGOTE? [/size]

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by NigeriaKwenu(m): 2:40pm On Jul 16, 2012
@Phinga
Yes, you're right. I was mistaking Chivita for 5 Alive.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by NigeriaKwenu(m): 2:42pm On Jul 16, 2012
@OP
Why did you include Tantalizer? It's an insult that a family business is included and Dangote is not. Btw, is Tantalizer bigger than Tastee Fried Chicken and Sweet Sensation?
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by addey(m): 2:43pm On Jul 16, 2012
How abour MAGGI
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by sheringan(f): 2:43pm On Jul 16, 2012
abbey621: Good concept but terrible analysis, your top ten brands are obviously screwed if you can't include JAMB and WAEC. Also, I think Dangote products should be among the top ten because the average household in Nigeria cannot go one day without using one of Dangote's products.
U are so on point

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by addey(m): 2:45pm On Jul 16, 2012
How about MAGGI

AND CLOSE-UP
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 16, 2012
GALA nko?

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by digitite: 2:59pm On Jul 16, 2012
Otapiapia Nko ?

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by yemmight(m): 3:00pm On Jul 16, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: @OP
Why did you include Tantalizer? It's an insult that a family business is included and Dangote is not. Btw, is Tantalizer bigger than Tastee Fried Chicken and Sweet Sensation?

Are you kidding me? Apart from Mr. Biggs in Nigeria, Tantalizers is the biggest. Do you know what they call brand name? Some people here in Lagos believe that all the fast food in Naija i Tantalizers just like the way its applicable to Maggi, indomie etc.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Brands by hicare(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2012
abubello: i think you should include Dangote Cement and Innoson Motors in your top 10

dangote suppose to be on top 5 sef

Sack Fever Grips Bank Workers. / GTBank MD Position: War Between Segun Agbaje And Fola Adeola? / An Encounter With Dr. Cosmas Maduka That Changed The Life Of CEO Stanel Group