Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,809 members, 7,827,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

CFA Candidates In The House - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CFA Candidates In The House (214313 Views)

Cis Candidates In The House / Cfa Vs Acca Which Is Harder / What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (76) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Biliamin(m): 10:40am On Dec 14, 2007
Those that do not know what CFA really means should log on to http://www.cfainstitute.org/ to have the feel.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by wyt(m): 11:11am On Dec 14, 2007
@ lowee231
thanks for ur advice to responders of the thread, i think we still need thos
e that have experience in the exam and those that know the worht of the charter,
@all
those in the background i mean the noise maker, pls check somewhere else

from my research ithink stalla is better. i may combine both stalla and
allenresource, or what do you think?

thinks of what my dear brother-tkb417 said, that it depend on ones conmitment
to the material, so it is more of work.

sincerely appreciate all the contributors in the this thread. let keep on with
more research oriented contribution.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by realkemmy(m): 12:56pm On Dec 14, 2007
nice tread here. really appreciate the contributions so far

which study guide do u guys think is the best?

i.e most simple and concise,

i think its still stalla.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by romeo(m): 1:14pm On Dec 14, 2007
tkb417:

u must be one of the dunderheads on airaland. . . . . or how can someone explain this drivel? neways, jump into a lake if you don't know what CFA means. i was only talking about the person who said people are speaking in tongues. . . i owe you or nobody any explanation

What? are you that stupid and foolish? somebody asked you a simple question on a subject you supposedly know and you come out refering them to google!! go back and read your books you definitely lack knowledge. wow!!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by realkemmy(m): 1:49pm On Dec 14, 2007
hi guys,

this tread is not for abusing one another or using hard words on each other. please lets be more responsible, friendly and accommodative

remember one good ton deserves another

more over, its a tread for gentlemen.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by anitops: 2:06pm On Dec 14, 2007
hello guys,

a CFA boutique has just been launched in Lagos.
Where you can get your Schweser CFA Level 1-3 notes, CDs and Videos at a deep discounted price delivered at your house address at no cost.
U can also register for the exam at a competitive exchange rate at this boutique and get most of your queries/orders, as far as the CFA exam is concerned, sorted out.

For further enquiries or instant order today please feel free to call me on;

Kind Regards,
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by anitops: 2:25pm On Dec 14, 2007
CFA stands for " Chartered Financial Analyst". It's an exam organised by the CFA Institute for those planning to build a career in the asset management/investment banking industry. It's highly recognised in Europe, America, Australasia and most other developed countries around the world. The exam is a test of both your finance and accounting aptitude and helps you to have a good grasp of the most complex finance concepts including derivatives, CDOs, MBS, ABS, ETFs and much more,
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by ogrebuga(m): 4:12pm On Dec 14, 2007
Finally, where getting round to the part about informing us 'nrmal' folks what being a CFA's about.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 4:21pm On Dec 14, 2007
Hi Nairalanders,Please lets try to clear somethings.
First and formost,   Using the tittle ''Certified Financial Analyst "to refer to the CFA programm offered by the CFA institute(formerly AIMR)is incorrect.

CFA institute holds the trademarks associated with CFA programm.The acronyms ''CFA'' can refer only to the Charterd Financial Analyst designation or charter.

For the lectures,we are starting by 20th January 2008 and its for twelve weeks.For materials.eg schweser books(Original or photocopy),CD,Video and also Texas instrument calculator specifically for CFA,u can contact

Please read the info below to understand more about CFA.

Time Limit:                                 6 hours
Number of Questions:               Approximately 240
Passing Score:                          Determined each year by the CFA Institute.
Passing Rates:                          As of July 2005, 36% passed Level I.
Format: Multiple Choice
Prerequisites:                              Bachelor's degree or equivalent, obtained no later than the 31st of December of the year in which the first exam will be written.
Corequisites:                         Three years of qualifying work experience must be obtained.
Exam Date(s):                           June and December
Exam Results:                           Usually provided within 60 days.
Official Exam Website:               CFAInstitute.org 
  Having read it,i really want to advise everydody in the house to go for international exam if you have the money.This will  enable you to  have a competitive edge over others and also have sence of effectiveness in  any sector you find yourself.Not only CFA,  we also have LIFA(Licensed International Financial Analyst),ACCA,CIMA,CISA etc.LIFA is given schorlarship for now.instead of paying 775 dollars,you pay only 139 dollars(49 is for center while 90 for the exam and they have a centre in Nigeria.for more info about LIFA.go to www.the-ira.org. or u contact TOKUNBO BAAKARE ON 08039307507.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by tkb417(m): 4:48pm On Dec 14, 2007
What? are you that stupid and foolish? somebody asked you a simple question on a subject you supposedly know and you come out refering them to google!! go back and read your books you definitely lack knowledge. wow!!

this guy gerraway, if u have stuffs to contribute, try and do and if you dont, go to the romance section where Juliet will be waiting for you grin grin grin
Olodo
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by romeo(m): 6:39pm On Dec 14, 2007
na wao for you ohh tongue
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by dada22(m): 8:24pm On Dec 14, 2007
@ gentlemen in this place,thanks so much 4 your posts, more posts 'll be appreciated
         u never can tell whose life u might be improving by these educative posts

@tk417 & those who hav written da exam, please tell us how u faired, is it difficult or most taskin?
  just tins we shuld know as people who want to ryte da exam, God Bless
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by tkb417(m): 7:00am On Dec 17, 2007
@dada
yeah right
the CFA will always be tasking and i think our areas of strength prior to the exams will be different from one another.
An auditor going to the exams will find the FSA like a piece of cake while someone who is already proficient in Finance will see the Portfolio Mgt and the corporate Finance angle easy.

There is no short cut to success for CFA, you need between 250-300hrs to prepare for the exams. And if ure thinking of writing the June exams and you havent started by now, then you must be a genious to pass.
Mastery of the core concepts, application of the core concepts and the retention its what really maters.
Apart from devoting quality time to studying, you need a superb tuition provider/materials.

I used Stalla and im still using Stalla comprehensive package, we have schweser, 7city et al

I read from this thread that some people are doing collabo with Kaplan, that will be awesome and wil be tite. After the football games yesterday, someone told me 7city will be doing a comrehensive 2 week program for those preparing for June in Nigeria. 7city is also a good tuition provider recognized by the CFA Institute. I heard the adverts will be out today either in the Guardian or This Day newspapers. Check it out
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 1:02pm On Dec 17, 2007
any thing new
I don start jackings oh
People wey don actually pay for the something abeg holla
Baba is Great
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Mu(m): 12:00pm On Dec 18, 2007
I took level I on Dec 1st. It was a bit hard but not as much quant as I expected. There was a lot on Bonds, A Lot.
Used the full Schweiser kit for 07 for studying (as well as several finance text books) and a TI Calculator. The other calculator takes a bit longer to use and has a non-logical process to it.

I would recommend continuous and dedicated studying over lectures any day, except if you are a full time student. For guys like me that get home from the island late everyday, classes won't work.

I hope this thread can grow and be isolated for those who want to just study it out, help one another and ask finance questions.

Cheers,
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by barge(m): 2:21pm On Dec 18, 2007
@ all

i just stumbled on this thread but i feel obliged to write a few words . I wrote the december 1st exam . For all budding analyst i, be thoroughly prepared.And the only way to do that is by proper planning and dedicated study. I invested 600hrs of effective study time into the preparation for the exam . Your rate of understanding of the material depends on your background-i mean if you have a business -related first degree- will help you undertand the material .

Trust me , the exam is not impossible to pass, the real HURDLE is the OVERWHELMING MATERIALS consisting of 3600 pages of 466 Learning outcome statements. The examiners try to cover every detail ,YES EVERY learning outcome statement is fair game.

The key to success is your preparation. My study provider was WWW.SCHWESER.COM , I HAD ONLINE CLASSES FOR 3HRS ONCE a week for 16 weeks. The schweser study tools are more than sufficient to pass the exam. check the website for details.

Finally, i hope you are not discouraged by the enormity of the task , it IS VERY REWARDING. i can say that the SKILLS . KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY i use in navigating the NSE was mostly acquired from my notes. You will make a success of it.Set your mind to it , plan for it and you will be a financial analyst soon. Goodluck . i hope this helps .

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 4:05pm On Dec 18, 2007
Class Schedule FOR JUNE 2008 CFA EXAMS

EDUCATION COURSE CLASS 1A 24 SESSIONS
LEVEL 1 LECTURER An Temi Tope

SESSION TOPIC DATE DAY TIME
1 Portfolio management, Equities and Securities market 20-Jan Sun 11am-2pm
2 Portfolio management, Equities and Securities market 20-Jan Sun 3pm-6pm
3 Corporate Finance and Alternative Investments 27-Jan Sun 11am-2pm
4 Corporate Finance and Alternative Investments 27-Jan Sun 3pm-6pm
5 ONLINE TEST 1 3-Feb Sun 11am- 2pm
6 Quantitative Methods 3-Feb Sun 3pm-6pm
7 Quantitative Methods 10-Feb Sun 11am-2pm
8 Quantitative Methods and Ethics 10-Feb Sun 3pm-6pm
9 Quantitative Methods and Ethics 17-Feb Sun 11am-2pm
10 ONLINE TEST 2 17-Feb Sun 3pm-6pm
11 Financial Statement Analysis 24-Feb Sun 11am-2pm
12 Financial Statement Analysis 24-Feb Sun 3pm-6pm
13 Financial Statement Analysis 2-Mar Sun 11am-2pm
14 Financial Statement Analysis 2-Mar Sun 3pm-6pm
15 ONLINE TEST 3 9-Mar Sun 11am- 2pm
16 Economics 9-Mar Sun 3pm-6pm
17 Economics 16-Mar Sun 11am- 2pm
18 Debt Investments 16-Mar Sun 3pm-6pm
19 Debt Investments 23-Mar Sun 11am- 2pm
20 Derivative Investments 23-Mar Sun 3pm-6pm
21 Derivative Investments 30-Mar Sun 11am-2pm
22 ONLINE TEST 4 30-Mar Sun 3pm-6pm
23 FINAL REVISION CLASS 6-Apr Sun 11am-2pm
24 FINAL REVISION CLASS 6-Apr Sun 3pm-6pm

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by wyt(m): 9:39pm On Dec 18, 2007
pls for those who have taken the exam, i realy want toknow between
Schweiser and stalla which is better. with network problem in nigeria
can one take online prep?

i appreciate everyone in this thread, asking you keep the good works.
still reading analyst note, i wantt to switch to either schweiser or stalla,
think stalla is better,

need reply thank
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by BlackMamba(m): 4:32am On Dec 19, 2007
These CFA candidates seem obnoxious to me. I wonder the arrogance that will come with passing this test, since financial analysis has become such a sensitive and classified field to warrant the hush-hush.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Mu(m): 11:01am On Dec 19, 2007
@ wyt

I think they are both good. My friend used Stalla and he said it was very good, I have not used both so I can't tell which is better. I suggest you use a variety of sources. I used google very heavily.
My Schweser kit came with recorded video classes , so I was able to watch the lectures on my laptop. I think that would work better than trying to do online prep across our slow internet IMHO.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by hispy99(m): 12:46pm On Dec 19, 2007
tkb417:

@dada
yeah right
the CFA will always be tasking and i think our areas of strength prior to the exams will be different from one another.
An auditor going to the exams will find the FSA like a piece of cake while someone who is already proficient in Finance will see the Portfolio Mgt and the corporate Finance angle easy.

There is no short cut to success for CFA, you need between 250-300hrs to prepare for the exams. And if ure thinking of writing the June exams and you havent started by now, then you must be a genious to pass. Mastery of the core concepts, application of the core concepts and the retention its what really maters.
Apart from devoting quality time to studying, you need a superb tuition provider/materials.

I used Stalla and im still using Stalla comprehensive package, we have schweser, 7city et al

I read from this thread that some people are doing collabo with Kaplan, that will be awesome and wil be tite. After the football games yesterday, someone told me 7city will be doing a comrehensive 2 week program for those preparing for June in Nigeria. 7city is also a good tuition provider recognized by the CFA Institute. I heard the adverts will be out today either in the Guardian or This Day newspapers. Check it out

You do not need to be a genius to pass even if you have not started studying, it's not even January yet.  I appreciate you trying to communicate the level of difficulty to people, but no need to give people heart attack, abi na how many people be genius? grin  You need to dedicate time for studying though as there is a lot of material to cover, especially in level 2. I used Schweser books and they were good enough.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 2:16am On Dec 20, 2007
its better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun then not have it.
200g is a lot of money to gamble away.
Abeg brothers read like ur life depended on it.
For people wey don start jacking which study session una dey
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 4:35am On Dec 20, 2007
My Brothers and my Ogas. To what extent do u think i should rely on the Schweser study notes. Currently on Study Session 5. Sincere comments would be appreciated.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 6:33am On Dec 20, 2007
Want to start a study group in Lagos at least 3hrs every weekend Peoples that are game please indicate.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by barge(m): 8:56am On Dec 20, 2007
lowee231:

My Brothers and my Ogas. To what extent do u think  i should rely on the Schweser study notes. Currently on Study Session 5. Sincere comments would be appreciated.

You can definitely rely on the schweser notes . That was my study provider for level 1 . Do you have the SECRET SAUCE ? If you don't try get it ,because it helps you focus on the important points . I hope you are using the 2008 notes because the 100 LOS have been adjusted ,while 40% new materials have been introduced for the 2008 curriculum. Youcan definitely rely on schweser . By the time you go over the practise section , you will be good to go . Make sure you stay on of ETHICS and GIPS. Thats 15% of the exam . Goodluck.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by barge(m): 9:11am On Dec 20, 2007
hispy99:

You do not need to be a genius to pass even if you have not started studying, it's not even January yet.  I appreciate you trying to communicate the level of difficulty to people, but no need to give people heart attack, abi na how many people be genius? grin  You need to dedicate time for studying though as there is a lot of material to cover, especially in level 2. I used Schweser books and they were good enough. 

@ all

i don't want to exagerrate the difficulty but niether do i want to understimate the task. yOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A GENIUS , BUT THE MARGIN OF ERROR is reduced because the pass mark is 70% and you can't fail ethics. Also we are different in our comprehesion and Retention capacities. Hence ,i may need 3hrs to understand what others will probably understand in 2hrs or less. My point , the earlier you start studying the better , the more you study and take REPEATED TESTS , the higher your CONFIDENCE LEVEL.  It IS ABSOLULETLY ESSENTIAL YOU CONTINUALLY TEST YOURSELF YOURSELF so you do not HAVE A false sense of security. REMEMBER , THE AVERAGE HUMAN BRAIN WILL FILE AWAY ANY INFORMATION AFTER 3 WEEKS IF YOU DO NOT REPEATEDLY ASK THE BRAIN FOR IT. Not trying to raise alarm , but anyone can make a succes of it , if you apply yourself to the task. goodluck
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 9:18pm On Dec 20, 2007
@barge
Nice one.Yes i have bought the 2008 Schweser study notes for level 1.
So relying exclusively on the study notes isn't a bad idea.
Do u know any medium i can use and pay for these exams. Its the basic headache i have now, and will i pay extra for the shipping
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Mu(m): 8:41am On Dec 21, 2007
There is no shipping involved. Once you register, the rest is online.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 8:57am On Dec 21, 2007
Guy thanks alot.
So I will have to print out the curriculum myself?

How many people have attempted level 1?
How many people here have passed level?
and how many of you hae actually registered for level 1 in june and how many of you are in lagos?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 10:28am On Dec 21, 2007
For registration of CFA,you can contact Tokunbo Bakare on 080393075075
N.B
Register for CFA and get 1 free Texas instrument calculator(specifically for CFA)
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by barge(m): 10:55am On Dec 21, 2007
lowee231:

@barge
Nice one.Yes i have bought the 2008 Schweser study notes for level 1.
So relying exclusively on the study notes isn't a bad idea.
Do u know any medium i can use and pay for these exams. Its the basic headache i have now, and will i pay extra for the shipping

You can pay through your credit card or call schweser to ask for alternative payment method. You may sign up for the Online class. The instructor is very good.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by sweetstjoy(f): 12:33pm On Dec 22, 2007
HMM
IM SO GLAD TO BE BACK ON THIS FORUM, THIS IS LIKE DESIRE,
I'VE BEEN MAKING ENQURIES ON CFA AND I TALK TO THEM ON PHONE AND VIA EMAIL, LEARNT THE DEC.08 EXAM DETAILS AND REGISTERATION IS NOT YET OUT AND WILL COMMENCE IN JANUARY FOR THOSES OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED,
PLS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE DONE THE EXAMS I APPR UR CONTRIBUTIONS BUT PLS WHERE IN NIGERIA DID YOU ATTEND UR LECTURES AND WHERE WS THE EXAM,
I CAN T WAIT TO GET STARTED,
CFA IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS THAT CAN HAPPEN TO A SMART PERSON IN OUR GENERATION NOW, SO GUYS GRAB IT!
ANTIPOP, HOPE UR BOUTIQUE IS AUTHENTIC,

SOMEONE RIGHTLY SAID THERE IS NO SHORT CUT TO SUCCESS IN CFA AND I ITS TRUE COS THEY ALSO SAID ON THEIR WEBSITE FOR THOSE WHO DONT UNDERSTAND WAT CFA IS ALL ABOUT , DO URSELF A FAVOUR AND BROWSE THEIR WEBSITE AND GET EDUCATED,
THANKS YOU ALL AND HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS,
ONE LOVE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (76) (Reply)

Total Oil And Gas Workers / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.