Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,462 members, 7,770,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:49 AM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (221592 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2011
Hi House Members, Good evening to all of you!

Someone recently told me that the[b] yearly[/b] take home pay of an entry level engineer [/b]working for [b]Total Nigeria is 11 Million Naira. I know that Shell pays 6 Million Naira per year, but I find it difficult to believe that Total pays that much.

House, please tell me what you know. I will be happy to be apprised. Let the debate start, abeg.

Thanks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^
It's possible. Can't say for sure, but Total seems to pay the highest these days.
I'm also not sure that this would be the de facto wage for fresh Bsc graduates. These days you have people with masters degrees at age 20. MNCs tend to pay based on qualification, not necessarily work experience.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:27pm On Sep 26, 2011
AjanleKoko:

^^
It's possible. Can't say for sure, but Total seems to pay the highest these days.
I'm also not sure that this would be the de facto wage for fresh Bsc graduates. These days you have people with masters degrees at age 20. MNCs tend to pay based on qualification, not necessarily work experience.

Thanks.

But isn't it sad that MNCs tend to honour qualifications more than work experience? I thought work experience was key, This is new and revealing to me. Does it mean that, two people, with different qualifications, employed to do the same job, at the same level, would earn differently at these MNCs?

Wow.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2011
tanimola22:

Thanks.

But isn't it sad that MNCs tend to honour qualifications more than work experience? I thought work experience was key, This is new and revealing to me. Does it mean that, two people, with different qualifications, employed to do the same job, at the same level, would earn differently at these MNCs?

Wow.

Yes and yes.
I think for the MNCs, experience only counts for the field workers - drillers, riggers, reservoir and facilities people. I know someone who was recently hired as a driller for $15k a month, on a 2-year contract.
But for the aptitude test crowd, it's more or less your level of education, then maybe type and class of degree. So someone who already has a masters degree or Phd, with no work experience, will earn more, and will be on a different level than someone with just a Bsc. Makes sense though, advanced degrees can stand in stead of experience in my view.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Gideonyte(m): 6:36pm On Nov 25, 2011
Total does pay the highest these days! From HR surveys Iv seen Total first then Mobil when u compare their annualized pay. I know Total's annualized pay for Overseas MSc holders to be presently 17m and 16m for Mobil, however Shell comes last with about 7m. Annualized pay actually means taking all remunerations before tax over a 4 or 5 year period and dividing by 4 or 5 years respectively. This is because there are some grants and loans with a lifecycle of 4 or 5 years.

Academic qualifications for Shell means nothing, they pay u only based on the job position you re going into. Mobil HR is more flexible but Total HR take it as a matter of policy to match your qualification and experience to pay grade. Its said that no two people in Total get paid the same salary even in the first year of employment. If you're wanting to get into an Oil company i totally recommend Total, Mobil or Chevron, leave Shell alone o. Do you know that someone with 5 years experience in Total earns higher than some people with 14 years experience in Shell? embarassed

However, I realised that on matter the salary one receives its just important to be a good manager of money!

cheers

9 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 9:25pm On Nov 25, 2011
Gideonyte:

Total does pay the highest these days! From HR surveys Iv seen Total first then Mobil when u compare their annualized pay. I know Total's annualized pay for Overseas MSc holders to be presently 17m and 16m for Mobil, however Shell comes last with about 7m. Annualized pay actually means taking all remunerations before tax over a 4 or 5 year period and dividing by 4 or 5 years respectively. This is because there are some grants and loans with a lifecycle of 4 or 5 years.

Academic qualifications for Shell means nothing, they pay u only based on the job position you re going into. Mobil HR is more flexible but Total HR take it as a matter of policy to match your qualification and experience to pay grade. Its said that no two people in Total get paid the same salary even in the first year of employment.  If you're wanting to get into an Oil company i totally recommend Total, Mobil or Chevron, leave Shell alone o. Do you know that someone with 5 years experience in Total earns higher than some people with 14 years experience in Shell?  embarassed

However, I realised that on matter the salary one receives its just important to be a good manager of money!

M

cheers

My brother, the money is really good mhen! 17 Million after taxes should reduce to at least 10 Million. Mhen, that is still a lot of money, mhen! Yes, you are correct about Shell. A fresh mathematics graduate from naija's jaiye jaiye university who just got into Shell told me that they started him/her on around 7 Million per annum. This person has no abroad MSc O, just a superior BSc from a naija school. This supports your statement that Shell does not give a damn about abroad qualifications.

In addition to targeting the financial industry, Total is the place I am seriously looking at. I am trying to find my way into one of their enlightenment programmes  in Paris and then impress the hell out of their ogas. I am on that now, and I will see to it till the very end. With 10 million naira every year, I will just work for 10-15 years and then start up something that will create employment for others. Kai, I have a guy who just got into Total. Kai, you mean Da is on 17 Million? kai kai kai kai. mhen

Thanks for the info. My head is spinning.

Truly yours,
T22.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Gideonyte(m): 10:41pm On Nov 25, 2011
Men, those Total guys are not easy o, they are really on the prowl for talent for their new projects. The thing is i dnt realy kw wht they pay guys who doesnt have an MSc but i kw wht TOTAL HR quotes as total cost of an entry level engineer to the company which is 17m if he/she has an overseas MSc. I also know that annualised pay for 4-5yrs experience in Total ranges from 22 to 25m. The tax is about 23-25% per annum, at least that wht iv paid for a number of years working for one of these MNCs although im no longer in the industry for now.

Again, guys who work on the field like drillers, completions, wellsite geologists get payouts that are overly fantastic! I must say that if u hv the opportunity try and get an MSc just because deep water development actually requires engineers with up-to-date knowledge of the business.

God bless.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 11:03pm On Nov 25, 2011
Gideonyte:

Men, those Total guys are not easy o, they are really on the prowl for talent for their new projects. The thing is i dnt realy kw wht they pay guys who doesnt have an MSc but i kw wht TOTAL HR quotes as total cost of an entry level engineer to the company which is 17m if he/she has an overseas MSc. I also know that annualised pay for 4-5yrs experience in Total ranges from 22 to 25m. The tax is about 23-25% per annum, at least that wht iv paid for a number of years working for one of these MNCs although im no longer in the industry for now.

Again, guys who work on the field like drillers, completions, wellsite geologists get payouts that are overly fantastic! I must say that if u hv the opportunity try and get an MSc just because deep water development actually requires engineers with up-to-date knowledge of the business.

God bless.

How many engineers will they hire, and for what exactly? undecided
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Gideonyte(m): 11:47pm On Nov 25, 2011
I really dont have the numbers but up to 30 different positions were available -
ranging from subsurface to surface engineers and recently they hv been really active in recruitment. They just finished a comprehensive set of recruitment between May and September this year - twice in Houston, twice in london, once in lagos .

You may want to visit this site: http://www.careersinafrica.com/en. to pinpoint recruitment events in Lagos, London, Paris and Houston (i think they prefer guys with experience for these specific events). You may also want to visit their website and register for job alerts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Pesuzok(m): 8:22am On Nov 26, 2011
Nobody mentioned agip, how is their pay?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 3:36pm On Nov 26, 2011
Gideonyte:

I really dont have the numbers but up to 30 different positions were available -
ranging from subsurface to surface engineers and recently they hv been really active in recruitment. They just finished a comprehensive set of recruitment between May and September this year - twice in Houston, twice in london, once in lagos .

You may want to visit this site: http://www.careersinafrica.com/en. to pinpoint recruitment events in Lagos, London, Paris and Houston (i think they prefer guys with experience for these specific events). You may also want to visit their website and register for job alerts.

It is true, mehn. The guy I talked about got in through that recruitment exercise. Mhen, a 'myriad' of them started the process, as usual, but only about 15-30 were eventually successful. I am not very sure of this number sha. It was the same guy who told me about the 11 milla thingy that I brought to nairaland for confirmation. The guy in question studied petroleum and gas engineering.

At least, now that we know what they earn, we can dictate to them whatever we want cheesy grin cool
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Gideonyte(m): 4:41pm On Nov 26, 2011
grin grin grin grin na your guy naaaa.
Just for confirmation T, how long did it take ur guy to complete his series of interviews and when did he start the process? Thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 1:58am On Nov 27, 2011
Gideonyte:

grin grin grin grin na your guy naaaa.
Just for confirmation T, how long did it take your guy to complete his series of interviews and when did he start the process? Thanks

5-6 months.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by TheOne2(m): 9:38am On Nov 27, 2011
The person dat quoted 17 million as entry level pay in total is absolutely correct. What a lot of people don't realize is dat shell is an outlier when it comes to pay among the big O&G companies but since outsiders seem to know more shell people, they usually quote shell numbers. The reason why shell figures are poor comparatively is dat PENGASSAN is almost dead there. For guys in other companies, the union practically guarantees you a 15% yearly increase in addition to any performance based increases you get. As such the average worker in Nigeria earns more than his counterpart abroad (US or UK) in the same company and on the same grade unlike what most people believe. For example, someone in Naija easily makes 100,000 pounds with 5 years experience wc is practically impossible in the UK and this mainly due to strong unions. I'm sure it's strange to some to know that the union sits wIth management EVERY year to negotiate pay and benefits and base it on competitor data. So most times the company that pays most is the one that had the last negotiations (except shell).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 11:59am On Nov 27, 2011
The One:

The person dat quoted 17 million as entry level pay in total is absolutely correct. What a lot of people don't realize is dat shell is an outlier when it comes to pay among the big O&G companies but since outsiders seem to know more shell people, they usually quote shell numbers. The reason why shell figures are poor comparatively is dat PENGASSAN is almost dead there. For guys in other companies, the union practically guarantees you a 15% yearly increase in addition to any performance based increases you get. As such the average worker in Nigeria earns more than his counterpart abroad (US or UK) in the same company and on the same grade unlike what most people believe. For example, someone in Naija easily makes 100,000 pounds with 5 years experience wc is practically impossible in the UK and this mainly due to strong unions. I'm sure it's strange to some to know that the union sits wIth management EVERY year to negotiate pay and benefits and base it on competitor data. So most times the company that pays most is the one that had the last negotiations (except shell).

@The one, pepper almost entered my brain while I was eating and reading your post at the same time. You just corroborated @Gideonyte's statement. Kai, kai kai. What would we now say of someone with 15 years work experience who got into Total when he/she was 22-24 years old? Kai, Total international enlightenment day in Paris will not pass me! If na ticket we go buy, we will buy am.

Between, please I did not get this part of your post `5 years experience [b]wc[/b]'. Could you kindly explain?

Thanks,
T22.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by stepo707: 9:43am On Dec 01, 2011
tanimola22:

@The one, pepper almost entered my brain while I was eating and reading your post at the same time. You just corroborated @Gideonyte's statement. Kai, kai kai. What would we now say of someone with 15 years work experience who got into Total when he/she was 22-24 years old? Kai, Total international enlightenment day in Paris will not pass me! If na ticket we go buy, we will buy am.

Between, please I did not get this part of your post `5 years experience [b]wc[/b]'. Could you kindly explain?

Thanks,
T22.
Guy no kill yourelf oh grin

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 4:12pm On Dec 01, 2011
stepo707:

Guy no kill yourelf oh grin

My brother, my own major reason for working so hard at school is to make it very big at the end of the day. I have a straight A's brother who is just leading an average life. The regular London and Lagos waka. I don't want such life! I want it biggggggggerrrr.

Some people might argue that one cannot become rich by working for someone else. While this is true, capital, which is one of the major factors of production, is needed to start up anything meaningful. Even though the human capital is there, you still need cash capital to drive things. Working for a company like Total gives the opportunity to amass that capital.

Truly yours,
T22.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Repubocrat(m): 10:25pm On Dec 02, 2011
The disparity in pay between SuperMajors and other entry level jobs in Nigeria is so enormous that it saddens me.

The One:

The reason why shell figures are poor comparatively is dat PENGASSAN is almost dead there. For guys in other companies, the union practically guarantees you a 15% yearly increase in addition to any performance based increases you get. As such the average worker in Nigeria earns more than his counterpart abroad (US or UK) in the same company and on the same grade unlike what most people believe. For example, someone in Naija easily makes 100,000 pounds with 5 years experience wc is practically impossible in the UK and this mainly due to strong unions. I'm sure it's strange to some to know that the union sits wIth management EVERY year to negotiate pay and benefits and base it on competitor data. So most times the company that pays most is the one that had the last negotiations (except shell).

15% guaranteed increase per year!!! That's just crazy.

What goes up must surely come down, especially in a case where unhealthy means are used to inflate salaries. Just like the US housing market, I anticipate salaries dropping hard in the near future. Might as well take advantage of it right now. grin

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 12:39pm On Dec 03, 2011
Repubocrat:

The disparity in pay between SuperMajors and other entry level jobs in Nigeria is so enormous that it saddens me.

15% guaranteed increase per year!!! That's just crazy.

What goes up must surely come down, especially in a case where unhealthy means are used to inflate salaries. Just like the US housing market, I anticipate salaries dropping hard in the near future.  Might as well take advantage of it right now. grin

My brother,

Your analysis might work in a sane environment like where you live, but I am not sure this would be the case in Nigeria. The disparity has been on for ages. Even my dead uncle who worked as an electrician for what is now called Total Fina Elf enjoyed the salary disparity while he was alive and did a couple of tangible things. His colleagues who were electricians elsewhere could not even smell his level, not to talk of competing with him in terms of quality of life. In fact, his own elder brother who was a senior manager at VF could not measure up to him in almost every ramification. This was as far back as in the 1980s-90s. Owo epo has been doing wonders for a long time, not today. Imagine my regular friend has suddenly become a Nigerian big boy overnight just because he was able to pass Total`s aptitude testssss and speak good oyinbo at the several interviews held by Total.

So, mhen, I think we should be aiming at taking advantage of the armed robber salaries that all these oil and gas companies offer.  At least, that is what I am trying to do. Please do take advantage of it if you have the opportunity.

Who talk say good life no good for a young man? The people wey say 'Money, Power, Respect' are not liars at all at all.

Truly true,
T22.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by chamber2(m): 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2011
^^^^

Are these salaries only for the tech guys (the engineering grads etc) or is it applicable to all entry level staffs ?

Most of ''us'' from non technical background would want to enjoy this windfall grin grin

Pls answer me o, i don suffer undecided

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 8:59pm On Dec 03, 2011
chamber2:

^^^^

Are these salaries only for the tech guys (the engineering grads etc) or is it applicable to all entry level staffs ?

Most of ''us'' from non technical background would want to enjoy this windfall grin grin

Pls answer me o, i don suffer undecided

Mhen, we sef are technical na. Can engineers value put derivatives? cool

The guy is a petroleum engineering grad, but I think the salary is almost the same story for even non engineers working for Total. The difference might just be 200K or less. I mean, guys run away from Shell to join Total and Shell starts its employees on 500-600K per month. Do you think those people leaving Shell would leave for any company that pays less than 600k? Well, I don't think so if I were to respond to the question.

There is no denying the fact that it is difficult to break into the industry in naija, but we will do our best. Ways will surely open one way or the other. That is my take.

Truly yours,
T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by chamber2(m): 9:12pm On Dec 03, 2011
^^^
So, just to pass apt test and then speak better''engrish'' at the interview then i will start earning all these. O boy, if na juju i fit do. Man don dey old yet pepper never rest.

Do they now pay better than these IBs?

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:17am On Dec 04, 2011
Besides someone who possesses an MBA and starts at the level of associate in a major BB, I doubt whether any newly employed analyst with no industry experience under his belt can command a yearly wage of nearly 70K Pounds. Most newly employed analysts in JP, DB, MS, CS, GS and RBS earn at most 50K Pounds and this money includes every bonus.

The people that earn such money in naija's IBs have been in the industry for a couple of years. Even at that sef, many of them cannot boast of a yearly pay of 17 Milla. Maybe people like that young dude who heads Rencap's risk management team can manage to boast of it sha.

Some people are really enjoying this salary thingy. Well, life is turn by turn.

Let them enjoy well.

Truly yours,
T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ezme(m): 4:14pm On Dec 06, 2011
I love this thread,
I am interested in Total too,
Considering starting an Msc natural Gas technology or Msc Offshore technology next year,
#snatchgroup all the way, we coming to take that money

But i also heard guys with NAPIMS (NNPC subsidiary) make mad funds too.
Any one with info on NLNG pay package for MSc ?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Repubocrat(m): 3:21am On Dec 07, 2011
Speaking of coincidences, TEPNG just posted some jobs on their website. Unfortunately, they aren't technical positions and neither are they entry-level.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by JagaJaga1: 1:41pm On Dec 07, 2011
@tanimola22 Can someone with an oversea MSc degree get to work with these oil and gas MNCs as a quality control officer. If yes, then which particular oil coy.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 6:28pm On Dec 07, 2011
Jaga Jaga:

@tanimola22 Can someone with an oversea MSc degree get to work with these oil and gas MNCs as a quality control officer. If yes, then which particular oil coy.

Hi, this guy's profile answers a yes to your question. Check it out! http://ng.linkedin.com/pub/jamiu-babatunde-kazeem/15/a4a/145
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 10:28pm On Dec 07, 2011
tanimola22:

Hi, this guy's profile answers a yes to your question. Check it out! http://ng.linkedin.com/pub/jamiu-babatunde-kazeem/15/a4a/145

I don't see any foreign degree on that dude's profile on LinkedIn.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 3:59pm On Dec 08, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I don't see any foreign degree on that dude's profile on LinkedIn.

You are correct. I only focused on the possibility of his being employed as a quality control officer by one of the Oil and Gas MNCs. I wanted to let him know that those Oil and Gas MNCs employ quality control officers too.

Meanwhile, bear in mind that if a Nigerian degree can take a person somewhere, then it follows a.s. that a foreign degree can take another person to that same place. The converse of this claim is blatantly untrue.

a.s.--almost surely.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by trakos(m): 9:57am On Dec 09, 2011
grin

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 10, 2011
All comments about Shell here are correct.
My close friend and classmate in Uni joined Shell shortly after we came back from NYSC as an Economist. Hie told me his pay, which was 6.8m. That was 2008. He has now been sent to Norway on expatriate terms (imagine the bucks)

He also told me that they are one of the least paying of all IOCs, that Total in particular snatch their staff because of their better pay.

He read Economics from Ife, without any other certificate or experience and I remember him telling me in our regular gists that he was so intimimated with the certs of other entry level folks they were recruited together - Bsc, Msc, MBA from Manchester, Houston etc and they started with same pay, validating the comments earlier made here.

As for Total, I've heard about them as paying higher but I don't have the figures. I've also had an unsuccessful shot on it too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 11:20am On Dec 10, 2011
Jarus:

All comments about Shell here are correct.
My close friend and classmate in Uni joined Shell shortly after we came back from NYSC as an Economist. Hie told me his pay, which was 6.8m. That was 2008. He has now been sent to Sweden on expatriate terms (imagine the bucks)

He also told me that they are one of the least paying of all IOCs, that Total in particular snatch their staff because of their better pay.

He read Economics from Ife, without any other certificate or experience and I remember him telling me in our regular gists that he was so intimimated with the certs of other entry level folks they were recruited together - Bsc, Msc, MBA from Manchester, Houstin etc and they started with same pay, validating the comments earlier made here.

As for Total, I've heard about them as paying higher but I don't have the figures. I've also had an unsuccessful shot on it too.

I have always known that only high quality people acknowledge their limitations. I hail the highlighted statement above.

Truly yours,
T22

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? / Best Paying Company In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.