Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund (2255 Views)

We Paid For An Apartment But Could Not Occupy It, Yet No Refund Made / Advice Pls / To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by realisticm: 11:23pm On Jul 14, 2012
I just rented the apartment this week tuesday and i paid 170k cash to the owner of the apartment in front of the house agent. I have also painted it and did wiring work there. And i just packed in today.

Just this evening I received a call that i have been granted a turkey visa. After i have given up on it. Now the question is can the agent return my money? Will the money be complete? I hope its not illegal to request for refund after payment for an apartment? Please enlighten me because i want to go to the agent office on monday so we can both go and meet the landlord
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by azpekuliar: 2:05am On Jul 15, 2012
Yes you can get a refund of the rent from the landlord. You are however not entitled to a refund of any professional fees charged in the course of securing the apartment e.g agency fees, legal fees. Now not every landlord may readily agree to a quick refund though, some might hinge the refund on securing another tenant for the apartment. In that case if the lease agreement contains a sub-lease clause, you might want to explore the option of sub-letting the apartment and even enjoying a profit-rent in the process. But in your present situation, time might be a constraint. I doubt that you would have sufficient time to market the apartment and find a suitable tenant to sub-let to. In view of the time constraint your best bet is to get a refund of the rent from the landlord and move on. Cheers.
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by desperatem(m): 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2012
Am not sure if commission will be refunded. I hope you have let them know your motive?
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by jchick(f): 1:43pm On Jul 15, 2012
'
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by realisticm: 3:31pm On Jul 25, 2012
Alarm don blow o!. I was called yesterday by the landlady. They told me they have rented the apartment out and they have collected part payment from the new occupant.

Now the problem is, they told me they will refund house rent only which is 120k they said they won't refund agreement 25k commission 25k and damages 10k out of 180k all they want to refund is 120k.

I asked few agent around my area and they told me that under estate agent law that they are suppose to refund agreement and damages. They said its only commission they can withhold.

Now i dunno what to do, i don't want to involve police because they are bunch of thieves, i will have contact a lawyer but i don't have any. Is there any law enforcement agency i can call on? Please help me. I don't want to loss such a big amount. Am still a hustler.

Mods, can you put this on the FP pls! I need peoples comment asap! Thanks in advance.
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by azpekuliar: 5:21pm On Jul 25, 2012
realisticm: Alarm don blow o!. I was called yesterday by the landlady. They told me they have rented the apartment out and they have collected part payment from the new occupant.

Now the problem is, they told me they will refund house rent only which is 120k they said they won't refund agreement 25k commission 25k and damages 10k out of 180k all they want to refund is 120k.

I asked few agent around my area and they told me that under estate agent law that they are suppose to refund agreement and damages. They said its only commission they can withhold.

Now i dunno what to do, i don't want to involve police because they are bunch of thieves, i will have contact a lawyer but i don't have any. Is there any law enforcement agency i can call on? Please help me. I don't want to loss such a big amount. Am still a hustler.

Mods, can you put this on the FP pls! I need peoples comment asap! Thanks in advance.

You have been well advised, you're entitled to all monies less commission fees paid. You are right not to hastily involve the police now. Explore the alternative dispute resolution option first by visiting a civil mediation center.
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by lookingfly: 7:07am On Aug 28, 2022
azpekuliar:

You have been well advised, you're entitled to all monies less commission fees paid. You are right not to hastily involve the police now. Explore the alternative dispute resolution option first by visiting a civil mediation center.
i just moved into an apartment and there is this religious house behind that wouldn't let us rest with unnecessary loud sounds at odd hours. I've stayed barely a month and the lawyer, caretaker don't want to do anything about it. The landlord is not accessible and no one wants to give us his number. I'VE NOT SIGNED ANY AGREEMENT YET. Would get my refund if i ask for it?
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by azpekuliar: 10:14am On Aug 28, 2022
lookingfly:
i just moved into an apartment and there is this religious house behind that wouldn't let us rest with unnecessary loud sounds at odd hours. I've stayed barely a month and the lawyer, caretaker don't want to do anything about it. The landlord is not accessible and no one wants to give us his number. I'VE NOT SIGNED ANY AGREEMENT YET. Would get my refund if i ask for it?

Yes you can get a refund and faster if you can get a tenant to take the apartment. Standard practice is you get a refund as soon as the landlord or his agent secures a new tenant.
Re: Advice Pls!!! I Already Paid For An Apartment Now I Want A Refund by lookingfly: 1:37pm On Aug 28, 2022
azpekuliar:

Yes you can get a refund and faster if you can get a tenant to take the apartment. Standard practice is you get a refund as soon as the landlord or his agent secures a new tenant.
alright, thanks

(1) (Reply)

6 Plot Of Land (1 Acres) Along Lasu-isheri Exp Rd, Fence Round With Gate. / 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Let In Ipent 2 Estate Lokogoma, Abuja / Full Plots Of Land With C Of O In An Estate for N2m (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.