Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,394 members, 7,819,410 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (55179 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Toks2008(m): 7:38am On Jul 27, 2013
Why all these noise making about 2-2 or third class?

Must you get a job? Please find your God's giving talents and develop it.
I served in the same set with Julius agu and this guy will crack our ribs till late in the night in the bonk.

Little did he know then that comedy will put millions on his table and not even what he studied in school.

Look at Tara, while she was in Lasu, she will simply trim the eyebrow and beautify the nails of her friends and little did she know that she will be the owner of house of Tara.

Even me, who studied Microbiology now uses my gifts of intelligence to make passive income as a Forex trainer and automated fund manager and im loving it having trained so many people from across the world and known all over the world for my excellent skills in the business.

I can give names of many more people who are using their talents today to make great income.

The bottom line is that its not your first class or 3rd class that will make you excel but your innate talents so find what your talents are and use them

It will be difficult at first but in the long run, you will excel.

NB: I am not against working as a paid employee but my slogan is "look for a job but don't wait for a job"
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by abubaka101: 7:40am On Jul 27, 2013
I don't believe a 2-2 and a 3rd a class are in the same category.
@spicy As much as I would love to knw how you graduated with a 3rd class, am not going to force it out of you.
However, you're a lady, and the fact that you claim the course you studied was a "boooring" one, shows that you neva had interest in it and could care little about how you could use it in the future.
Your's is called lack of passion, and if you had this grade in a course you had a passion for, you may be saying something different, and tell me if am wrong? Imagine if you are reading Medicine, and the only thing you ever want to do is dance. And then you graduate with a 3rd class in Medicine, thereafter you start dancing and became Kaffi of today.

Again tell me if am wrong. Lack of passion is a problem.

That's why only those who studied practical courses such as Engineering, have been commenting so far, it's becos the passion is there! What about Philosophy? English? Medicine?!
But people in school, don't start thinking that those on a 3rd class are gonna make while those on a 2-1 may not. Everybody's story is different.
Working hard for a good grade doesn't signify that you'll be successful, but it shows that you MAY be on the right path. May God help us all!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by mikedanza(m): 7:45am On Jul 27, 2013
The real question should be 'How did you fail with your 1st Class and 2.1 and how come there are so many successful persons who never went through the direct school route, or had 2.2 and 3rd Class and are so super successful like Dangote'

1. Do not build a glass ceiling for yourself. Einstein was an average student and Lincoln was a failed politician before he had his break.

2. Your grade is really not a true test of who you are. The most persons who are both academically rounded or socially connected, tend to make better deals out of their lives.

3. Real truth is 1st Class and some 2.1 graduates have only average lives in Nigeria. They were too busy to have a life while in school, they got retained to lecture in their schools and had to continue reading all the way to obtain a Ph.D. and had to continue reading in order to write papers in journals for promotions. Or they got a bank job and felt that was the Zenith in life because of a salary of $1000 dollars a month. What a waiter working in the US at Starbucks earns in two weeks after adding his overtime and tips.

4. The 2.2/3rd Class guy in your class joined politics in school and became the NANS president. He went into life and became the House of Representative from your constituency and even rose to become the speaker of the House at age 35.

5. Truth is, those who scored lower grades tend to be turned away from most job interviews (in short you do not get invited to places like KPMG, Some depts in BATC, NLNG, several banks, etc if you do not have a 2.1 and above) that pushes them into entrepreneurial endeavours in which they tend to succeed if they hold on for at least 5 years (the number of years within which most new businesses fail).

6. I had a 2.1 and went into banking. I was with a branch at Obajana cement complex. The complex had just been opened and 'failed graduates and school drop outs' had come to see what they can make out of this business. Each truck load of 600 bags of cement cost about NGN 700k then. The got the ATCs and sold to wholesalers/retailers/construction firms at about NGN 730 to 760. Some sold up to 10 trucks in a day. Besides the margin in cement, they made margins too on the transportation. And so in one year I saw 'failed graduates' build houses, bought cars and got married, while I sat behind my desk doing oga at the top as a Head of Operations with a salary I used to think was very very very BIG! These boys made my annual pay in a few months. As bankers we are banned from running private businesses and could not join.

Of course the cement business crashed as so many persons later ran into it and the margins all but disappeared, but the 'failed graduates' had made their kill.

Finally, information is power. Forget your degree and open your eyes and ears. Augment with a further degree if need be, but remember when the chips are down it is your networking, integrity, track record, presentation skills and your ability to deliver that sells you. And remember Papa God, I do believe in Him alot and He has be GoooooooooD!

10 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by toprealman: 7:51am On Jul 27, 2013
12go: My uncle did not let me work with him as a design engineer but rather let me work with a contractor as a trainee engineer. I angrily left the place after 8mths and he got another place where I presently work as a graduate electrical engineer.
I finished with a 2.2 by the way and I have spent 10mths in the present company.I got my first job offer last month which I rejected.
Think my uncle has given me the launching pad to excel so I advise one has to fraternize or be good to one's relatives and people in general.
Uncle ke? You are one lucky chap.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by toprealman: 7:57am On Jul 27, 2013
yinchar: Graduating with a 2-2 or 3rd class didn't meant the end of the world, what really matters is the level of aspiration and determination to excel in you, considering different factors that should be taken into consideration in the grade of a Nigerian graduate, 2-2 or 3rd class shouldn't be used to determine the level of intellectuality, i personally graduated with a 2-2 in Computer Science, went for my masters abroad and graduated with 1st class(Whao! with extra hard work and sleepless night), excel in different professional certification i never thought i could pass...and presently getting many offers for fully paid PhD scholarship in top universities in US.

We all know the problem with Nigerian educational system, ranging from randy lecturers to poor teaching facilities, the most important thing is to get something extra on top that 2-2 or 3rd class, either professional certificate or masters program and you would be glad you did.
1st class in masters? (....coughs gently....)
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 27, 2013
i made 2:1 in banking n fin but actually m planning to take on professional courses to boost what i already got.also,planning to do my masters in finance.in all,if u can get 2:1,its good,but if u cant its not d end of life
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by zibi2(m): 8:10am On Jul 27, 2013
list of ‪#‎successful‬ people who never had a university degree
Daniel Abraham, billionaire founder of Slim-Fast.
Ansel Adams, photographer. Dropped out of high school.
Christina Aguilera, singer, songwriter. High school dropout.
Hans Christian Andersen, short story author, fairy tales.
John Jacob Astor, multimillionaire businessman.
Carl Bernstein, Watergate reporter, Washington Post.
Yogi Berra, baseball player, coach, and manager.
Timonthy Blixseth, billionaire founder of Yellowstone Club.
Daniel Boone, explorer, frontier leader.
Ray Bradbury, science fiction author.
Richard Branson, billionaire founder of Virgin Music.
Sergey Brin, billionaire founder of Google.
Edgar Bronfman Jr., billionaire heir to the Seagram liquor fortune.
John Carmack, cofounder of Id Software.
Andrew Carnegie, industrialist and philanthropist.
Scott Carpenter, astronaut.
John Chancellor, TV journalist and anchorman.
Winston Churchill, British prime minister.
Charles Culpeper, multimillionaire owner and CEO of Coca Cola.
Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computers.
Charles Dickens, bestselling novelist.
Walt Disney — yes, THAT Walt Disney.
George Eastman, multimillionaire inventor and founder of Kodak.
Larry Ellison, billionaire co-founder of Oracle software company.
Debbi Fields, founder of Mrs. Fields Cookies.
Carly Fiorina, CEO, Hewlett-Packard.
Bobby Fischer, chess master.
Henry Ford, billionaire founder of Ford Motor Company.
R. Buckminster Fuller, inventor of the geodesic dome.
Bill Gates, billionaire co-founder of Microsoft.
J. Paul Getty, billionaire oilman.
Amadeo Peter Giannini, multimillionaire founder of Bank of America.
Hyman Golden, multimillionaire cofounder of Snapple.
Barry Goldwater, U.S. senator and presidential candidate.
David Green, billionaire founder of Hobby Lobby.
Joyce C. Hall, founder of Hallmark.
Harold Hamm, billionaire oil wildcatter.
William Randolph Hearst, newspaper publisher.
Peter Jennings, news anchor.
Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Computers and Pixar Animation.
Dean Kamen, multimillionaire inventor of the Segway.
Ray Kroc, multimillionaire founder of McDonald’s.
Tommy Lasorda, baseball manager.
Ralph Lauren, billionaire fashion designer, founder of Polo.
Charles Lindbergh, aviator.
Jack London, bestselling novelist.
Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brazilian president.
Mary Lyon, founder of Mount Holyoke College (America’s first women’s college).
John Mackey, founder of Whole Foods.
Steve Madden, shoe designer.
John Major, British prime minister.
Herman Melville, novelist, Moby Joystick.
Karl Menninger, psychiatrist.
Claude Monet, painter.
Dustin Moskovitz, multi-millionaire co-founder of Facebook.
Walter Nash, prime minister of New Zealand.
David Neeleman, founder of JetBlue airlines.
David Oreck, founder of The Oreck Corporation.
George Orwell (aka Eric Blair), author of Animal Farm and 1984.
Larry Page, billionaire founder of Google.
James A. Pike, Episcopal bishop.
Ron Popeil, multimillionaire founder of Ronco.
Leandro Rizzuto, billionaire founder of Conair.
John D. Rockefeller Sr., billionaire founder of Standard Oil.
Karl Rove, presidential advisor.
William Safire, columnist for the New York Times.
Colonel Harlan Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC).
Vidal Sassoon, multimillionaire founder of Vidal Sassoon.
Richard Schulze, billionaire founder of Best Buy.
William Shakespeare, playwright, poet.
John Simplot, billionaire potato king.
Isaac Merrit Singer, sewing machine inventor.
Walter L. Smith, president of Florida A&M University.
Will Smith, Grammy-winning rapper, actor.
Alfred Taubman, billionaire chairman of Sotheby.
Jack Crawford Taylor, billionaire founder of Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
Dave Thomas, billionaire founder of Wendy’s.
Ted Turner, billionaire founder of CNN and TBS.
Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens).
Cornelius Vanderbilt, railroad magnate.
Theodore Waitt, billionaire founder of Gateway Computers.
DeWitt Wallace, founder and publisher of Reader’s Digest.
Ty Warner, billionaire developer of Beanie Babies.
Sidney Weinberg, managing partner of Goldman Sachs.
Steve Wozniak, billionaire co-founder of Apple.
Wilbur Wright, inventor of the airplane.
Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, billionaire. Just ‪#‎believe‬ in your dreams..
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by zibi2(m): 8:11am On Jul 27, 2013
list of ‪#‎successful‬ people who never had a university degree
Daniel Abraham, billionaire founder of Slim-Fast.
Ansel Adams, photographer. Dropped out of high school.
Christina Aguilera, singer, songwriter. High school dropout.
Hans Christian Andersen, short story author, fairy tales.
John Jacob Astor, multimillionaire businessman.
Carl Bernstein, Watergate reporter, Washington Post.
Yogi Berra, baseball player, coach, and manager.
Timonthy Blixseth, billionaire founder of Yellowstone Club.
Daniel Boone, explorer, frontier leader.
Ray Bradbury, science fiction author.
Richard Branson, billionaire founder of Virgin Music.
Sergey Brin, billionaire founder of Google.
Edgar Bronfman Jr., billionaire heir to the Seagram liquor fortune.
John Carmack, cofounder of Id Software.
Andrew Carnegie, industrialist and philanthropist.
Scott Carpenter, astronaut.
John Chancellor, TV journalist and anchorman.
Winston Churchill, British prime minister.
Charles Culpeper, multimillionaire owner and CEO of Coca Cola.
Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computers.
Charles Dickens, bestselling novelist.
Walt Disney — yes, THAT Walt Disney.
George Eastman, multimillionaire inventor and founder of Kodak.
Larry Ellison, billionaire co-founder of Oracle software company.
Debbi Fields, founder of Mrs. Fields Cookies.
Carly Fiorina, CEO, Hewlett-Packard.
Bobby Fischer, chess master.
Henry Ford, billionaire founder of Ford Motor Company.
R. Buckminster Fuller, inventor of the geodesic dome.
Bill Gates, billionaire co-founder of Microsoft.
J. Paul Getty, billionaire oilman.
Amadeo Peter Giannini, multimillionaire founder of Bank of America.
Hyman Golden, multimillionaire cofounder of Snapple.
Barry Goldwater, U.S. senator and presidential candidate.
David Green, billionaire founder of Hobby Lobby.
Joyce C. Hall, founder of Hallmark.
Harold Hamm, billionaire oil wildcatter.
William Randolph Hearst, newspaper publisher.
Peter Jennings, news anchor.
Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Computers and Pixar Animation.
Dean Kamen, multimillionaire inventor of the Segway.
Ray Kroc, multimillionaire founder of McDonald’s.
Tommy Lasorda, baseball manager.
Ralph Lauren, billionaire fashion designer, founder of Polo.
Charles Lindbergh, aviator.
Jack London, bestselling novelist.
Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brazilian president.
Mary Lyon, founder of Mount Holyoke College (America’s first women’s college).
John Mackey, founder of Whole Foods.
Steve Madden, shoe designer.
John Major, British prime minister.
Herman Melville, novelist, Moby Joystick.
Karl Menninger, psychiatrist.
Claude Monet, painter.
Dustin Moskovitz, multi-millionaire co-founder of Facebook.
Walter Nash, prime minister of New Zealand.
David Neeleman, founder of JetBlue airlines.
David Oreck, founder of The Oreck Corporation.
George Orwell (aka Eric Blair), author of Animal Farm and 1984.
Larry Page, billionaire founder of Google.
James A. Pike, Episcopal bishop.
Ron Popeil, multimillionaire founder of Ronco.
Leandro Rizzuto, billionaire founder of Conair.
John D. Rockefeller Sr., billionaire founder of Standard Oil.
Karl Rove, presidential advisor.
William Safire, columnist for the New York Times.
Colonel Harlan Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC).
Vidal Sassoon, multimillionaire founder of Vidal Sassoon.
Richard Schulze, billionaire founder of Best Buy.
William Shakespeare, playwright, poet.
John Simplot, billionaire potato king.
Isaac Merrit Singer, sewing machine inventor.
Walter L. Smith, president of Florida A&M University.
Will Smith, Grammy-winning rapper, actor.
Alfred Taubman, billionaire chairman of Sotheby.
Jack Crawford Taylor, billionaire founder of Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
Dave Thomas, billionaire founder of Wendy’s.
Ted Turner, billionaire founder of CNN and TBS.
Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens).
Cornelius Vanderbilt, railroad magnate.
Theodore Waitt, billionaire founder of Gateway Computers.
DeWitt Wallace, founder and publisher of Reader’s Digest.
Ty Warner, billionaire developer of Beanie Babies.
Sidney Weinberg, managing partner of Goldman Sachs.
Steve Wozniak, billionaire co-founder of Apple.
Wilbur Wright, inventor of the airplane.
Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, billionaire. Just ‪#‎believe‬ in your dreams..
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Wiseoldman: 8:19am On Jul 27, 2013
mikedanza: The real question should be 'How did you fail with your 1st Class and 2.1 and how come there are so many successful persons who never went through the direct school route, or had 2.2 and 3rd Class and are so super successful like Dangote'

1. Do not build a glass ceiling for yourself. Einstein was an average student and Lincoln was a failed politician before he had his break.

2. Your grade is really not a true test of who you are. The most persons who are both academically rounded or socially connected, tend to make better deals out of their lives.

3. Real truth is 1st Class and some 2.1 graduates have only average lives in Nigeria. They were too busy to have a life while in school, they got retained to lecture in their schools and had to continue reading all the way to obtain a Ph.D. and had to continue reading in order to write papers in journals for promotions. Or they got a bank job and felt that was the Zenith in life because of a salary of $1000 dollars a month. What a waiter working in the US at Starbucks earns in two weeks after adding his overtime and tips.

4. The 2.2/3rd Class guy in your class joined politics in school and became the NANS president. He went into life and became the House of Representative from your constituency and even rose to become the speaker of the House at age 35.

5. Truth is, those who scored lower grades tend to be turned away from most job interviews (in short you do not get invited to places like KPMG, Some depts in BATC, NLNG, several banks, etc if you do not have a 2.1 and above) that pushes them into entrepreneurial endeavours in which they tend to succeed if they hold on for at least 5 years (the number of years within which most new businesses fail).

6. I had a 2.1 and went into banking. I was with a branch at Obajana cement complex. The complex had just been opened and 'failed graduates and school drop outs' had come to see what they can make out of this business. Each truck load of 600 bags of cement cost about NGN 700k then. The got the ATCs and sold to wholesalers/retailers/construction firms at about NGN 730 to 760. Some sold up to 10 trucks in a day. Besides the margin in cement, they made margins too on the transportation. And so in one year I saw 'failed graduates' build houses, bought cars and got married, while I sat behind my desk doing oga at the top as a Head of Operations with a salary I used to think was very very very BIG! These boys made my annual pay in a few months. As bankers we are banned from running private businesses and could not join.

Of course the cement business crashed as so many persons later ran into it and the margins all but disappeared, but the 'failed graduates' had made their kill.

Finally, information is power. Forget your degree and open your eyes and ears. Augment with a further degree if need be, but remember when the chips are down it is your networking, integrity, track record, presentation skills and your ability to deliver that sells you. And remember Papa God, I do believe in Him alot and He has be GoooooooooD!

Ur post is soo biased!

Im guessing u wouldnt advise ur kids to make a 3rd class just so they can become dangote cement dealers...like 2:1's dont deal cement too. I wonder how an average joe like me would raise capital to distribute dangote's cement

No one is sure of anything, my dear anything can happen, it depends on Gods grace and hardwork..but the truth is its easier 4 u to starr when u hv higher grade in Nigeria, this is 2013!!!

Fyi: Dont listen to people rubbishing hard consistent effort...work hard in school!!!

Also Bill gate, Steve jobs, zukerberg etc were straight A students b4 droping out...

Im not necessary a straight A student, im only talking just so kids out the wont fall for the Elumelu 2:2 swt stories that hurt some of us!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by talktozingo(f): 8:28am On Jul 27, 2013
My advice, which worked for me but might not work for everyone. Apply for NDE's GAP get posted to an organisation, frm dre show ur worth and you can be assured of an offer frm the organisation. Improve ur skills and probably get a pgd or certification relevant to the field. And you re good to go. As an experienced hire most coy won't boda wit graduate grades.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by tall2ce(m): 8:29am On Jul 27, 2013
Am still a student @Lasu 300l with cgpa of 3.42 so dissapointed with my self and am very sure that the institution a person finds his/herself is also another factor.Here lecturers make 5points scarce like Gold especially when it comes to essay exams and we offer to much unecessary borrowed courses am still working hard towards 2-1 though but had it been I was in federal university I know where my stand would be.Imagine lecturers being proud of delibrately cutting a potential first class student to a 2-1 student in that student's 400l second sememster result.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Bigdreams(m): 8:33am On Jul 27, 2013
Getting a good grade is undoubtedly very important as it gives you leverage in some situations (that is if it is obtained righteously and not through the back door). However, having good grades does not guarantee success. Your passion, confidence, dedication, drive to become better and ultimately your understanding of God coupled with your living for Him can change your fortunes for the best. I graduated with a third class and currently serving. By God's Grace, aside my PPA, I also work with an international NGO who have even been talking about retaining me after my service year. I have confidence in my abilities having run my own company for more than five years and personally trained and upgraded my skill over the years all by God's Grace. The bottom line is this, any grade you have is a foundation. Simply build on it prayerfully and tenaciously in the right direction.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by chelseaguy: 8:33am On Jul 27, 2013
Ishi kanda: I am highly impressed with some of the views expressed here, however I need to make something clear, good grades cannot be over emphasized, so if you are still in school PLEASE study hard and make very good grades (it will increase your opportunities)

I will make my story very brief, i made a 2:2 in petroleum engineering, I started with a local ( Nigerian) company (did not have the opportunity with the multi nationals) where my salary could not even feed me talk less of taking care of me, but I decided not to despise little beginnings so I gave it my best shot (entirely Gods favour) and one of the technical partners (expert) helped me to proceed for my masters degree in the UK, in fact he identified the school and gave me free accomodation ( only God can do this type of thing), anyway it was not all rosy at first while in the I suffered a lot doing 2 /3 jobs at times, to cut the story short, I started writing about 10 applications daily (a few months to course completion) the company I eventually worked for rejected me 3 times and on the 4th time gave me the employment to work in the north sea at the time ( I wrote to their different branches )

So in conclusion, make a good grade if you can, and if not, you need to have the tenacity of a weed in pursuing your desired goals

Am working in Nigeria with a multi national company now ( salary really good) am sure I don't deserve this as I am not as smart as a lot of folks I see around everyday especially on NL, what can I say! Gods favour

Your story is very inspiring. What is even more impressive about you is your humility. Stay blessed brother.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by abubaka101: 8:39am On Jul 27, 2013
Wise_old_man:

Ur post is soo biased!

Im guessing u wouldnt advise ur kids to make a 3rd class just so they can become dangote cement dealers...like 2:1's dont deal cement too. I wonder how an average joe like me would raise capital to distribute dangote's cement

No one is sure of anything, my dear anything can happen, it depends on Gods grace and hardwork..but the truth is its easier 4 u to starr when u hv higher grade in Nigeria, this is 2013!!!

Fyi: Dont listen to people rubbishing hard consistent effort...work hard in school!!!

Also Bill gate, Steve jobs, zukerberg etc were straight A students b4 droping out...

Im not necessary a straight A student, im only talking just so kids out the wont fall for the Elumelu 2:2 swt stories that hurt some of us!

My thoughts exactly!!! It's appalling that people try to force this impression on others. We all come from different homes, live different lives, think differently, have unequal strength and reasoning capabilities. So why should anyone believe that what works for Mr A will work for Mr B?

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by bakynes(m): 8:39am On Jul 27, 2013
Sometimes I just hate the grading system, coz I graduated with a 3.35 CGPA which is 2.2 and u still get classified with someone with a 2.5 CGPA is really bad,it really pains me.Most Pple in the Nigeria society today get their grades based on cheating @ d exam hall,Sleep with lecturers and all sorts.2.2 aint entirely written off bt if your with a third class try getting professional certs dat might just be what is needed to get employed in some fields.And I saw someone saying Third class goin for masters,don't know of dat o even some uni don't allow 2.2 and some do bt u ve to ve a good CGPA like mine and to the guy who said Masters first class did u mean to say Distinction?
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Fadelex(m): 8:47am On Jul 27, 2013
the thread is getting more interesting and educative...
as Tony rightly said, those with good grades are likely to be glued to their book but that doesn't mean they r not gonna make it to the top of their chosen careers, one of the people I admire most is Dr Ben Carson, Carson went from being a poor student to receiving honors and he eventually attended medical school. As a doctor, he became the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital at age 33, and became famous for his ground-breaking work separating conjoined twins.
he had a poor background and every reason to fail but he refused. that's determination. where are his mates that made mockery of him today? it is good and very necessary to have a good grade to be relevant but that good grade will amount to nothing if you're only reading to pass and not reading to understand.
for those not opportune to have a good grade, further your education but most importantly widen you knowledge to make you a better person.
our society is certificate freaked but develop yourself will help you and d society @ large... have a good weekend y'all
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Adex097: 8:53am On Jul 27, 2013
spicy v: @ Yommy2sure: lol. Nope I did not volunteer with more than one organization, I simply volunteered with an organization within the industry I wanted to build a career in, for the sake θf experience. Secondly, I made sure my resume did not reflect my grade, it merely reflected "Bachelors degree in Bleep". Besides, the presentation θf the resume was so appealing, you would want to meet its owner after which you'd be so enchanted by my presence that upon discovering my grade, you couldn't care less. Lol.

My intention is not to sound cocky o, I owe my success largely to the grace θf God and I thank Him for His favor.

Ps: thanks for the compliment, Ʊr far too gracious.
If I don't follow this lady, my conscience will definitely disturb me.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by jajaboy1: 8:57am On Jul 27, 2013
spicy v: I graduated in 2005 with a 3rd class in a field a lot θf people consider professional but as far as I was and am still concerned, its a boooooring field! Having realized that, I quickly started the interesting process θf self discovery, armed with this knowledge, I went to a private organization to volunteer,that was before NYSC, during my service year alone, I had three job offers! Back then, I humorously say to my friends who were crazy about the masters degree that with all their certification, I would be offered a job before they would be considered if we all went for the same interview.

Truth is every employer I have ever come across find it hard to accept that I had a 3rd class and that is because θf my overall presentation, intelligent manner in which I engage their minds, the excessive passion I exude and the subtle but hard to miss its-your-loss-if-I-am-not-a-part-of-your-team aura I naturally exude.

In summary, I would say, if you have the opportunity to bag another degree and certification, go ahead! But you have got to be able to back it up else its just a waste θf time, effort and money!!!

madam spicy dis ur story looks somehow to me u graduated with 3rd class , why ?? u were not reading in school or what? i am not saying that some people who did read dont have 3rd class oo but am asking whats ur own excuse. then u volunteered in a private organization hmmmmmmmmmmmmm u sure abi na runz girl u do ? cos u na female men no wan know wetin u graduate with if u don play by their rules. and u said self discovery when u did not indicate maybe u had other degrees or certifications and b4 NYSC 3 job offers na 1 job offer per month u self discovery na wa ooo and y will employers think u finish with 3rd class when u a 1st class student in ... undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by dandecent(m): 8:58am On Jul 27, 2013
It's obviously funny how the Nigeria educational system and the economic system are blending. How will the so called employers use a high-grade certificate as a yardstick when we all know that certificates can either be bought or influenced? Students pay money for high grades, some open their legs for same while others get it under duress. I think a better means of testing knowledge should be initiated rather than this high-grade requirement.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by ayotee(m): 9:07am On Jul 27, 2013
True success is not defined by how much you make, but by the impact you make.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by johnsonjosbles(m): 9:20am On Jul 27, 2013
To simplify the story. Almost all the sucesful people in the world today did not make 2.1 do U̶̲̥̅̊ no having 2.2 or 3rd class ȋ̝̊̅§ an aded advantage to fast track Ʊr sucess, ask me ♓☺w. Ĩ̷̊ scored 2.2 in ♍γ̲̣̣̥ 1st degree, Ĩ̷̊ discouvered on time dat most employers demanded @least 2.1. All interview Ĩ̷̊ attended was a waste of time and resources. Ĩ̷̊ stop applying and Ĩ̷̊ recognised the only skill Ĩ̷̊ have left ȋ̝̊̅§ driving, Ĩ̷̊ started as a cab driver in abuja, along the line Ĩ̷̊ picked a rich busness man from airport oneday who tru conversasion discorverd the potential in me and offerd me a job in a multinational company of wc Ĩ̷̊ am paid nothing less than €950000 per anual. Ĩ̷̊ was provid employment for other because now Ĩ̷̊ have 8cabs working for me on daily basis. I'm. Currently doing ♍γ̲̣̣̥ masters. If U̶̲̥̅̊ read tru ♍γ̲̣̣̥ story U̶̲̥̅̊ 'l, agree wit me dat self discorvery can lead U̶̲̥̅̊ to glory not Ʊr grade
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by solomon111(m): 9:26am On Jul 27, 2013
With God's favour and a masters degree,i believe a 2-2 or a third class graduate can make it in Nigeria.
I came out with first class honours but couldn't get a job.
It took the effort of a good friend to finally get a job.
Coincidentally,this friend of mine came out with a 2-2 but later got his masters,which landed him a job at ELPER Oilfield Engineering limited.
So i believe the class of degree shouldn't be a barrier at all.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Lampsy(m): 9:32am On Jul 27, 2013
bakynes: Sometimes I just hate the grading system, coz I graduated with a 3.35 CGPA which is 2.2 and u still get classified with someone with a 2.5 CGPA is really bad,it really pains me.Most Pple in the Nigeria society today get their grades based on cheating @ d exam hall,Sleep with lecturers and all sorts.2.2 aint entirely written off bt if your with a third class try getting professional certs dat might just be what is needed to get employed in some fields.And I saw someone saying Third class goin for masters,don't know of dat o even some uni don't allow 2.2 and some do bt u ve to ve a good CGPA like mine and to the guy who said Masters first class did u mean to say Distinction?
Go find out about PGD...
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by DEngineer(m): 9:47am On Jul 27, 2013
I graduated with a 2-1 in statistics, but with the obvious saturated labor market, I enrolled myself in a reputable ICT training center, now I have an additional certificate in Web Application Developement, Networking and computer engineering.

You want to bet that with my looks and hard-to-ignore presentation skills, it wount be long before I have a story similar to SPICY V's.

whatever grade you have below 2-1, its not an indication that youve failed in life.

I have this friend here in unilorin quarters, his father is a professor, yet he chose to not continue his university education due to passion for ICT, now he doesn't have to be employed, he's a master in PHP, JavaScript, Web app development, he now has people working for him.

Black teeth, I'll advice every serious nigerian youth to have little or no reliance on the rickety labor market. There's so much we can achieve as human being.

I stood to be corrected, this is the first thread on nairaland with intelligent responses and responders. spicy v, ajans and co I love you guys.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by joseph1832(m): 9:55am On Jul 27, 2013
Less insults, minute narraw minded coMment, no religious bigotry, limited tribal and ethnic sentiments. I am indeed marvelled! Nice to know we have mature minds on NL.

Really folks our grades don't really define how intelligent we are, it's such a pity our society place to much store on grades and certificates.

All the same, the quest to succeed in life lies in the hand of any body who wants to succeed in life, mind you success to me doesn't really mean fame and money but the happiness of that person regardless of the fact that the person is educated or not!.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by legendsilver(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2013
Na wao, so many inspired stories on this trend. God help us dat made 2.2 with CGPA of 3.38 o!!!!! its really painful
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by soderican(m): 10:20am On Jul 27, 2013
Believe u will,and u will
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by bayulll01(m): 10:35am On Jul 27, 2013
tall2ce: Am still a student @Lasu 300l with cgpa of 3.42 so dissapointed with my self and am very sure that the institution a person finds his/herself is also another factor.Here lecturers make 5points scarce like Gold especially when it comes to essay exams and we offer to much unecessary borrowed courses am still working hard towards 2-1 though but had it been I was in federal university I know where my stand would be.Imagine lecturers being proud of delibrately cutting a potential first class student to a 2-1 student in that student's 400l second sememster result.
I got ur point just work harder you will be fine school also play a deciding factors when grade is concern.lasu lecturers are hostile when its come to grade imaging graduating a student with a 3.48 haba!!!!
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by yinchar(m): 10:47am On Jul 27, 2013
toprealman:
1st class in masters? (....coughs gently....)
Yeah you heard me right, first class with distinction, even though masters in Nigeria is either PASS or FAIL, most universities abroad has a classification for masters degree based on percentage, just as for undergraduate level.

First Class Honours (First or 1st or 1:1 or 1) (70%+)
Second Class Honours, Upper Division (2:1 or 2.i) (60%+)
Second Class Honours, Lower Division (2:2 or 2.ii) (50%+)
Third Class Honours (Third or 3rd) (40%+)
Ordinary degree (Pass)

While Masters
pass - MA, MSc, MBA, LLM
merit - MA (Merit), MSc (Merit), MBA (Merit), LLM (Merit) - 60%-69% Merit
distinction - MA (Distinction), MSc (Distinction), MBA(Distinction), LLM (Distinction) - 70% + Distinction

However, it doesn't really matters your class of degree, to excel in life it depends on your determination and focus to succeed, certificate will only open the doors, then you have to prove your worth.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by TTOPSON(m): 10:51am On Jul 27, 2013
Favour of God too matters in this century of ours, imagine one that claim to have graduated with a good or poor grade as some will see it and seize to add value to his or her self by dicovering ur own talent (what u can offer apart 4rm d paper qualification) will definitely waste time in search for a job that is not available. I have a guy in my ppa who finished wit a 2.2, he was employed with one of this multi national company in lag two months all in d name dat he's gud in web design whatever. Come to think of it, we dat had 2.1 self, our hope of getting a job before or at d end of NYSC is very slim. So personal development & favour is all dat matters.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 27, 2013
Analysis:

The thread is torn between those who made out good grade fervently trying to defend as well as sell the idea of graduating with best result above 2.2.

On the other hand, there are those with not so good results who are trying so hard to downplay the importance of good grades; stating its not a determinant to success.

My take: If you find yourself in a school environment, you know your primary assignment there is to graduate with good grades. So I do not see why you would lay excuses stating you did the wrong course, I know people who changed courses even though it set them a year back or the academic environment isnt/wasnt conducive, this is Nigeria, nothing is conducive and I would think the world of acadmic, where its the battle of best brains one would be awarre of the rigours involved? People who said some pay for high grades - therw'd be a difference between the payer and the achiever. Pay if you must too or fvck your way to it, it will tell in the end.

There are so many people reading through threads on NL, let's not encourage failure or kill people's zeal for good grades. If you know univ degree doesn't mean success to you then why not collate the fees(tuition, feeding, accomodation etc) to start a business which you feel is 'suceess'?

Good grades is not 'success' in entirety but it will open doors/serve as a leverage to that success if well utilized.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by andrano: 11:19am On Jul 27, 2013
u just hav 2 b creative wit ur 3rd class b cos i hav seen many people making it in life wit dier 3rd class degree because of dier knoledge and creativity. Guys class of degree na hardwork and luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Two Little Boys Plastering A Fence At Aduwawa, Benin, Edo State / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money / Little Boy Working As A Mason At A Building Site (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.