Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,192 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders (8264 Views)

Photo Of Lagos Traffic In 1982 / How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. / Photo: Check Out How Orderly Lagos Traffic Was In The 60's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by r231(m): 4:01pm On Jul 16, 2012
The Lagos State House of Assembly have passed a bill to regulate road usage in the state.

The bill which is aimed at regulating vehicle movement and placing strict sanctions on any vehicle that disobeys the law.

1.Riding a motor-cycle against traffic

2. Riding on the kerb, median or road setbacks

(Penalty) 1st time offender – N20,000.00 subsequent offender N30,000.00 or the riders motor-cycle will be impounded
3.One way driving.

(Penalty) 3year jail term after psychiatric examination
4. Smoking while driving

(Penalty) N20,000.00 fine

5. Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout
(Penalty) N20,000.00 fine

6. Disobeying traffic control
(Penalty) N20,000.00

7.Violation of route by commercial vehicles
(Penalty) N20, 000.00 fine.

8. Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger
(Penalty) N20, 000: 00 or 3years imprisonment or both.

9. Under aged person, under 18yrs old riding a motorcycle
(Penalty) N20,000.00.

10. Driving without valid driver’s license.

(Penalty) Vehicle to be impounded.

11. Learner driver without permit
(Penalty) N20,000.00.

12. Driving with fake number plate
(Penalty) 1st offender N20,000.00 and 6 month imprisonment or both.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/07/17/new-penalties-for-traffic-offenders-in-lagos/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by oladayo042: 10:07am On Jul 17, 2012
Nice one. This will surely reduce the excesses of some road users.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by hammedkola(m): 10:13am On Jul 17, 2012
Then i need to get a teleporter or a private jet to go around

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by NigeriaKwenu(m): 10:15am On Jul 17, 2012
Na waoo

Not only can you not drink while driving, you can't smoke while driving too. Very soon we won't be able to talk while driving or else we face the full weight of the law.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 10:15am On Jul 17, 2012
Smoking while driving is a crime?!

shocked

WTF?!!

Only in Nigeria!!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 10:17am On Jul 17, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: Na waoo

Not only can you not drink while driving, you can't smoke while driving too. Very soon we won't be able to talk while driving ro else we face the full weight of the law.

Nna no be small o!!

Kedi odi law di ifa?!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by bumps(m): 10:19am On Jul 17, 2012
Why are the fines so high,just hope curbing the excesses of road users wil be achieved instead of lastma using it to ask 4 bribe
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Scarpon(m): 10:19am On Jul 17, 2012
eko oni baje o'
but the 3 years in prison is 2much na is not a crime offence

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Abeyjide: 10:20am On Jul 17, 2012
much revenue for d state cos in lagos ,people are always in a hurry.no mata what,u wil see lots of people dat will violate the rules.wit dis,some will park der cars @ home and @ d end of d day,migration to nearby state wil begin.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by OilSubsidy: 10:21am On Jul 17, 2012
@Okija_juju, I think na Hemp (igbo) dem mean grin cheesy
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by agog: 10:21am On Jul 17, 2012
this is welcoming. but the law should be extended to the securities officers as well, because their arbitrariness on the road is too much, they drive government cars as if they are above the law.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by amosy007: 10:24am On Jul 17, 2012
Na wa o.. 3yrs jail term?

What happen to community service like its being done in advanced nations.. We are trying to decongest our prisons.. Then we make more laws to put people behind bars..and When they come out another criminal will be on the loose..

BTW when did smoking and driving become hazardious? shocked undecided
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by chuckdee4(m): 10:28am On Jul 17, 2012
How can driving with fake number plates attract a smaller sentence than riding a bike without a helmet undecided
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by NigeriaKwenu(m): 10:30am On Jul 17, 2012
They forgot to add this:

Don't look at a ladies Bakkasi while you're driving. This comes with 5 years jail and a compulsory amputation of your JT.

Eko oni Baje...o baje ti ti ti..

Afam4eva

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 10:31am On Jul 17, 2012
OilSubsidy: @Okija_juju, I think na Hemp (igbo) dem mean grin cheesy

Smoking Hemp is a federal offence so their is no point for the state legislating on it again...

I believe its cigarettes.. And I thinks thats wrong!!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Biggyd2: 10:31am On Jul 17, 2012
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 10:33am On Jul 17, 2012
And there is no offence attached to talking on the phone and driving o!!!

Ndi mmanu na e'zuzu e'zuzu!!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Biggyd2: 10:34am On Jul 17, 2012
There should also be a bill to arrest and jail local government chairmen and state officials who steal from the state.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by femmy2010(m): 10:42am On Jul 17, 2012
Good one but the fine should be way lower for 1st and 2nd time offenders.
Makes no sense for it to be higher than the state's minimum wage .

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 10:44am On Jul 17, 2012
femmy2010: Good one but the fine should be way lower for 1st and 2nd time offenders.
Makes no sense for it to be higher than the state's minimum wage .

exactly my thoughts!!!

Very foolish policy!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by jmaine: 10:46am On Jul 17, 2012
LASTMA don see correct bribe taking avenue grin . . .It will be unfettered bribery galore cheesy
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by warrior01: 10:56am On Jul 17, 2012
In as much as people are meant to face these laws, the law abiding citizens should equally impose some fines and penalties on the inept govt for all the various unmotorable roads that abound in the state (5 billion), for smoking and drinking while at work, the governor should equally be fined 5 million, for the floods that ravage people's homes, the governor should forfeit a year salary for ineffieciency.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 11:00am On Jul 17, 2012
jmaine: LASTMA don see correct bribe taking avenue grin . . .It will be unfettered bribery galore cheesy

#GBAM!!!

Bring 10'k go.. If not if you enter station na 20'k o!! cheesy
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by freecocoa(f): 11:06am On Jul 17, 2012
But seriously how can someone be smoking while driving?

Doesn't make sense to me.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Sunofgod(m): 11:06am On Jul 17, 2012
So they have 'criminalized' driving 'Offences' . . .

These must be the harshest laws in the world!

What if different states implement different laws - then what?

The first thing they should have done (Federal Govt) is made a 'highway code booklet' and distributed to all drivers in Nigeria.

As things stand I'm sure that whatever 'Federal Laws' are in place can be the only laws that stand.

Or is Lagos now a seperate country?

What if my village decide to come up with their own laws - such as 'Any driver that drives with less than half a full tank will be fined 50k or 5 years imprisonment?

Finally, where do the fines go? (Tinubu) and what will they be used for? (Road Safety Improvements or enriching Tinubu and co)

This Fashola ehh . . . .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by jmaine: 11:06am On Jul 17, 2012
Okija_juju:

#GBAM!!!

Bring 10'k go.. If not if you enter station na 20'k o!! cheesy

Na so . . .Negotiable fine off the records grin
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 11:08am On Jul 17, 2012
freecocoa: But seriously how can someone be smoking while driving?

Doesn't make sense to me.

How can somebody believe in a God they have never seen nor heard.. Not everything makes sense.. But if it dosent put anyone else at risk, then why bother... I have never heard that smoking and driving was supposed to be a crime..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by 1forall: 11:18am On Jul 17, 2012
Misfit lawmakers, how about drink driving? As there's no law against it does that imply it is lawful?

Failure to give way at a roundabout = 20k fine is ridiculous, like many of the thoughtless other traffic laws. So who's going to enforce this law? The same corrupt LASTMA/Police? How would they prove I failed to give way at a roundabout after I may have done so?

Smoking while driving is now a crime in Lagos state, like seriously??

I expected smarter from the LASG but this is so disappointing.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 11:19am On Jul 17, 2012
1forall: Misfit lawmakers, how about drink driving? As there's no law against it does that imply it is lawful?

Failure to give way at a roundabout = 20k fine is ridiculous, like many of the thoughtless other traffic laws. So who's going to enforce this law? The same corrupt LASTMA/Police? How would they prove I failed to give way at a roundabout after I may have done so?

REALLY?!!

You know that its a Yoruba state right?!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 11:20am On Jul 17, 2012
1forall: Misfit lawmakers, how about drink driving? As there's no law against it does that imply it is lawful?

REALLY?!!

You know that its a Yoruba state right?!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Demdem(m): 11:28am On Jul 17, 2012
am against one-way driving however govt should ensure that the necessary sign posts are well designated for such roads.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 11:31am On Jul 17, 2012
Demdem: am against one-way driving however govt should ensure that the necessary sign posts are well designated for such roads.

#GBAM!!

Thats another thing!!

They will not do their part before enforcing shit!!! I will simply advice motorists to carry a camera around with tham and do not resist when you get caught.. Just take pictures of where you were coaught, tak a picture of the entrance (If there is no sign warning motorists against driving into the street) and sue Lagos state government for their monthly budget allocation..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South African Temporary Residents Permits / The Face Of True Poverty In America / 32 Page Passport Booklet Not Available @NIS HQ Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.