Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar (5654 Views)

Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' / Naira Drops to N200 To A US Dollar / Naira Depreciates To Lowest Value In 2 Years (Against US Dollar) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar by yommys01(m): 6:59am On Jul 18, 2012
binger: I think that is good news for me and others who earn the USD online,by the time its convertd to our local currency,i'l make a fortune
Aside the fact that the post says the naira firmed against the dollar ( as in the naira closing down the gap on the dollar ), the weaker the naira the less valuable the said dollar u earn online.

People always forget that as the naira becomes weak, prices of commodities in the market ( which u will end up using ur exchanged dollar to buy ) goes up.

You are actually only getting more money ( paper value ) to buy less commodities.

And mine u, I am an internet marketer as well.
Re: Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar by Pukkah: 8:43am On Jul 18, 2012
yommys01: Aside the fact that the post says the naira firmed against the dollar ( as in the naira closing down the gap on the dollar ), the weaker the naira the less valuable the said dollar u earn online.

People always forget that as the naira becomes weak, prices of commodities in the market ( which u will end up using ur exchanged dollar to buy ) goes up.

You are actually only getting more money ( paper value ) to buy less commodities.

And mine u, I am an internet marketer as well.

Prices don't have to go up when the naira strengthens. For a country like Nigeria that is highly import-oriented, you would actually be buying more foreign goods when the naira firms up; I don't think this is likely to lead to inflation. However, a stronger naira does discourage exports as the locally manufactured goods become more expensive in the eyes of the foreigners. If most of the local goods are for exports, this may indeed lead to deflation.

On the flip side however, a weaker naira, means that foreigners find our products cheaper and thereby encourage exports. China has artificially kept her currency low for years in order to boost her ability to export cheap goods to other countries.
Re: Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar by tnthommie(m): 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2012
wow naira just had an erektion
Re: Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar by yommys01(m): 8:27pm On Jul 18, 2012
Pukkah:

Prices don't have to go up when the naira strengthens. For a country like Nigeria that is highly import-oriented, you would actually be buying more foreign goods when the naira firms up; I don't think this is likely to lead to inflation. However, a stronger naira does discourage exports as the locally manufactured goods become more expensive in the eyes of the foreigners. If most of the local goods are for exports, this may indeed lead to deflation.

On the flip side however, a weaker naira, means that foreigners find our products cheaper and thereby encourage exports. China has artificially kept her currency low for years in order to boost her ability to export cheap goods to other countries.
I agree with you there but I also disagree. The mentality of Nigerians will mean I am right and you are wrong. You need to flash back to what happened when Dollar went up to N180 to a Naira.

Even conductor will take you "You no hear dollar don cost?".
Re: Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar by otodeluxe(m): 8:41am On Jul 19, 2012
Hmm what's the meaning of all this naira stay naira close. I no even understand or can someone throw more light on it cos I don't know what I means.
Re: Naira Stays At 161.60 Against US Dollar by Pukkah: 9:00am On Jul 19, 2012
yommys01: I agree with you there but I also disagree. The mentality of Nigerians will mean I am right and you are wrong. You need to flash back to what happened when Dollar went up to N180 to a Naira.

Even conductor will take you "You no hear dollar don cost?".

If the naira weakens in a highly import-dependent country like ours, of course it will lead to inflation in Nigeria (all things being equal) because you now need 'more' naira to buy foreign goods whose dollar prices have not changed. In that case, the bus conductor in your example would be right with his 'you no hear say dollar don cost' assertion.

There's no 'two way' about this. grin grin grin grin It is not the mentality of Nigerians. grin It is the way things work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best 10 Most Lucrative Skills That Will Make You A Millionaire In Nigeria / Tinubu Cap is Available / How To Create An Approve Upwork Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.