Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,150 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees (2694 Views)

What Kind Of Activities Can One Involve In To Increase One's IQ / Riot In UNN Over Increase In Tuition Fees ? / How To Study In Europe With Free Tuition Fees For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by akinwumi84: 6:46am On Dec 06, 2007
There has been speculations arround that the University Authorities of LAUTECH has increased their tution fee and many other UNI! how true is it?
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by olaniram: 12:46pm On Dec 06, 2007
its very true. last week ladokites took to the street, locked the vc and staff out. this must stop . aluta continua, victoria ascerta. cool cool wink
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Seun(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2007
You want quality education but you don't want to pay for it. I see.
While you are busy torturing your VC, wiser students are graduating.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Rosietimes(f): 1:16pm On Dec 06, 2007
Seun:

You want quality education but you don't want to pay for it. I see.
While you are busy torturing your VC, wiser students are graduating.

Quality? Bull. Quality education cannot be gotten in over-crowded classrooms. The VC should be lucky he was locked out instead of in.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Seun(m): 1:23pm On Dec 06, 2007
Charging a hefty tuition fee is a good way to deal with "overcrowded classrooms".
In life, you can't get something for nothing, unless you are a thief, which you're not. wink
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Keziah(f): 1:45pm On Dec 06, 2007
In otherwords, if they can't afford the huge school fees they should stay at home or the parent could sell all their belongings and if it's not enough, they can as well sell the student to the school and keep the change for their feeding until the child graduate and start earning a living?

Haven't u heard of schools in Sweden and other countries where they don't pay tutition fee and they still give quality education? This country, may God help us all. THANK GOD SAY MONEY NO FIT BUY LIFE! The average man would have been history like the Dinosors, Godzilla and the rest.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by seun001(m): 2:00pm On Dec 06, 2007
Keziah:

In otherwords, if they can't afford the huge school fees they should stay at home or the parent could sell all their belongings and if it's not enough, they can as well sell the student to the school and keep the change for their feeding until the child graduate and start earning a living?

Haven't u heard of schools in Sweden and other countries where they don't pay tutition fee and they still give quality education? This country, may God help us all. THANK GOD SAY MONEY NO FIT BUY LIFE! The average man would have been history like the Dinosors, Godzilla and the rest.

godzilla! grin grin

yep,it aint increasing tuition fees.we got major issues with our educational system.there's gross mismanagement in our schools.what has all the monies gotten from post-jamb been used for.in fact,the issues are overwhelming.so where do we start from. undecided
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Rosietimes(f): 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2007
@Seun,
I can see clearly now, thank you for opening my eyes. I mean how could i have not realized that they were actually going to use the money to 'expand the classrooms'.
P'ai naiba!!!
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by obyann(f): 2:56pm On Dec 06, 2007
olaniram:

its very true. last week ladokites took to the street, locked the vc and staff out. this must stop . aluta continua, victoria ascerta. cool cool wink

good for the VC. next time he will be locked up in a room grin
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Seun(m): 2:59pm On Dec 06, 2007
In other words, if they can't afford the huge school fees they should stay at home
Precisely. We can't all be doctors and lawyers. We need actors, writers, webmasters, and messengers too.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by eiknarf14(m): 3:40pm On Dec 06, 2007
Who says u dnt need education 2 bc an actor,writer or a messenger (PA) ?
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Rosietimes(f): 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2007
Well then the writers can write in Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Hausa, Ibibio,Ijaw,Urhobo, oh and pidgin too,
The actors dont need to speak English;
The webmasters will have to talk to seun to teach them webmastering in yoruba language
and the messengers will need interpreters.

That's it problem solved. Everybody forget about College.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by semidaraeb(m): 5:26pm On Dec 06, 2007
SEUN

i am suprised you are talking like this when the so called professors went to school, did they pay for anythin? or even if they did was is this costly ?they had things easy for them then, So education cannot be for the less privilleged again? if someone is brilliant and because his /her parents cant afford the tution fees being charged he shuld not go to school is that it?You can say what about schorlarships but rember not everyone can also get the so called schorlarships,

I belive if our resources are utilised well and not stolen by our so called "leaders" and politican but channeled to the right places we will not have issues of this so called increases coming up

problems in the educational sector are multi faceated school fees increase is just a small part of it, the increase does not mean the quality of education will improve you all know that, school fees are being increased all the time without a coresponding increase in the quality of education,
who said nothing good is free? even at that education shuld not be placed in this category, look at NORWAY, SWEDEN and a host of other countries where education is good and still free and we have a lot of nigerians going there to receive quality education, its FREE AND OF GOOD QUALITY so what do we call that

so until we see a coresponding increase inh the quality of education school fees increase is not the way go, Although am not saying school fees shuld remain stagnat forever

BUT we need to know money gotten from such increase will lead to better quality of education and not just go into some greedy fat pot bellied profs pockets
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Rosietimes(f): 5:36pm On Dec 06, 2007
semidaraeb:

SEUN ,

problems in the educational sector are multi faceated school fees increase is just a small part of it, the increase does not mean the quality of education will improve you all know that, school fees are being increased all the time without a coresponding increase in the quality of education,
who said nothing good is free? even at that education shuld not be placed in this category, look at NORWAY, SWEDEN and a host of other countries where education is good and still free and we have a lot of nigerians going there to receive quality education, its FREE AND OF GOOD QUALITY so what do we call that,

Hear hear!!!
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by eko4show(m): 6:55pm On Dec 06, 2007
@Seun, your submissions never seize to amaze me,
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by ogrebuga(m): 7:02pm On Dec 06, 2007
Schools might have justifiable reasons for increasing their school fees quite alright, but, they also have the responsibilty to give at least standard, if not quality, education. Like seun said, nothing good comes free, for example, good private secondary school students mostly perform better than those from free schools. So let's face it, if we want our schools to improve, we're going to have to pay them.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by holyghost(m): 7:55pm On Dec 06, 2007
well I don come O!

i do not support higher school fees, cos as a 3rd world nation we need the all education we can get, may be they should have poor man school and rich man school so that one can go to the one he/she can afford simple.
a raise in fees do not necessarily translate to better education

if u must force people to cope then be ready for more corruption in the society cos everyone will lute to make ends meet
and more girls will prostitute to get their school fees(HIV for free and for all)

let us follow common sense, we need to consolidate our educational level (Nigeria is still undereducated cos 70% of Nigerian is uneducated, if this is true then with higher school fees 90% of Nigerian will be uneducated by year 2020)

it is a matter of one step forward 4 steps backward, all must think twice
after all no guarantee that all people will get a job that will pay them half of what you spend to get education.
may be Government will ask Banks to take school certificates as collateral's for loans after all you paid high premium on that investment cool
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Seun(m): 8:26pm On Dec 06, 2007
There's no shortage of good secondary schools in this country. If you've attended Secondary school, and passed English and Mathematics, you can pick up many vocations by trial and error, the Internet, apprenticeship, and through vocational training.

We have too many graduates who are looking for jobs in very glamorous places like banks and oil companies not realizing that there are many employers looking for hardworking employees who may or may not have degrees. For example,

- I was once looking for a web administrator, and I couldn't find any competent one. All I need is someone who can read, is computer-literate, and can manage the site. Is there a degree in forum management? You've gotta make yourselves instead of waiting for graduation and a job in an oil company. Who says my web administrator can't earn more than a banker if he proves to be indispensable to the growth of the forum? But I posted the ad and because I was not representing a big company I only got 2-3 responses.

- I need a real estate agent that can take pictures of the houses he's selling and show them to me instead of asking me to follow him to 10 different houses just because I want to select one.

Many things like are in demand, and they don't require a degree. They require a willingness to learn and a willingness to work hard. If you can't afford a quality degree in a quality university, it's not by force. It's just one of the many paths a young person can follow. A country develops when people start doing things with what they have at their disposal instead of whining because they don't have what they think is ideal. A time will come when we would have so many universities that the price will be as low as the price of secondary education, but if you can't afford it right now it's all good.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by ogrebuga(m): 9:01pm On Dec 06, 2007
University degrees aren't the only means to earning daily bread (with some butter, milk and sugar if possible), but in Nigeria here people discriminate alot. If you don't have a degree, you're either not considered or under-paid (esp. in the public sector), and seun it's not a crime to want to work in an oil company, it's not like you're going to sit in an office and do nothing, you're going to WORK, and hard too from what i hear. Increase in school fees and better education are not in sync in 9ja ryt now. All the schools have to do is justify their increase by showing their student populace what the money is being used for. The price of everything has been going up in this country, it's only expected that school fees, water rats, electricty rates, e.t.c will follow suit. I feel the pain of those who increase in school fees affect, but, then again, if you want to eat good fish, you should be willing to starve out in the ocean to get it.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Duroti: 2:34pm On Dec 10, 2007
The school fees has been brought down to 40k for everybody, jambites and 100L are to resume on wednesday, 12th dec,2007 and stalites are resuming on january 2nd.eku aja ye o sad cool tongue adeleke abeg av mercy on people that can't afford ur money
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Duroti: 2:45pm On Dec 10, 2007
The VC of Lautech has gone haywire and is insisting on 40k nw, we agree say 6k small bt no be say make u con mad reach dt level. adeleke shld pls help people because we still have to cope wt exhorbitant hostel rent, he should pls be fatherly for once, d fees is ridiculous and uncalled for. angry sad
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Purist(m): 7:03pm On Dec 10, 2007
@Seun,

Quality education is not cheap, agreed. But in a country like Nigeria where poverty level is quite high, how on earth do you expect students to pay so much for something they are entitled to? As I noted in a post I once addressed to you, one thing you fail to realise is that public education, whether at the primary, secondary or university level is a public, social service. It is the responsibility of the government to the youths and should be offered at a cost that the people can reasonably be expected to afford.

Besides, you and I know too well that the school authority is most likely not going to use the increase to fix anything much in the school (that's if they'll even fix anything at all).
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by easy01(m): 9:49pm On Dec 15, 2007
well on the issue i must say it's not reasonable enough 4 the authorities of the school to increase the tuition fee by a 1000% that why we LADOKITES took to street then though it as been reduced from 60000 to 40000 Naira we are still fighting for futher reduction because there are still some money to paid that are not recorded, 4 instance new intakes are to pay N20000 as acceptance fee before the end of the month that's why we LADOKITES we are fighting against the increment, ALUTA CONTINUA VICTORIA ACERTA
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by ogrebuga(m): 12:44am On Dec 17, 2007
Purist:

@Seun,

Quality education is not cheap, agreed. But in a country like Nigeria where poverty level is quite high, how on earth do you expect students to pay so much for something they are entitled to? As I noted in a post I once addressed to you, one thing you fail to realise is that public education, whether at the primary, secondary or university level is a public, social service. It is the responsibility of the government to the youths and should be offered at a cost that the people can reasonably be expected to afford.

Besides, you and I know too well that the school authority is most likely not going to use the increase to fix anything much in the school (that's if they'll even fix anything at all).

Well said.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Keziah(f): 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2007
Purist:

In a country like Nigeria where poverty level is quite high, how on earth do you expect students to pay so much for something they are entitled to? ,  one thing you fail to realise is that public education, whether at the primary, secondary or university level is a public, social service.  It is the responsibility of the government to the youths and should be offered at a cost that the people can reasonably be expected to afford.

God bless you. This is my point exactly. I agree with you 100%.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Seun(m): 12:59pm On Dec 18, 2007
We are always making noise about how everything is the responsibility of the government. It's our way of excusing our laziness and apathy. And that is why we will never move forward. Great countries did not become great because of government. They got good government after they became great. A country filled with progressive and productive people can be managed by anybody. A country filled with lazy complainers will never move forward. "Government" indeed.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Keziah(f): 2:15pm On Dec 23, 2007
Seun, pls don't make me cry cry cry cry
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Purist(m): 3:14pm On Dec 23, 2007
@Seun

Anything worth doing at all, is worth doing well. No one is saying "everything" is the responsibility of the government, but the moment the government decides to actively partake in establishing anything at all, then they should equally be ready to take FULL responsibility. In this case, public education is the responsibility of the government (public sector), and that cannot be changed. If we were discussing how things ought to be generally, only then would you have a point.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by omofineboy(m): 7:17pm On Dec 23, 2007
Its unfortunate that LAUTECH is contending with hike in fees. So unfortunate. I commend the efforts of the students that protested against it, God be with you all.

I remembered I graduated paying N2750 as my fees. I also remembered the then VC Prof. A.M. Salau tried to increase the fee but could not, that was when we had the most vibrant and militant Union. We fought oppression and the likes we resisted it in whatever form it came that time. I know if I am still School no one will increase the fee to more than N10,000.

All I will say is that Students should also comport themselves. They should shun cultisim and stand on truth. Poverty has destroyed the psyche and Conscience of almost every Nigerian. Dont be suprised that the union may be fully part of the increament. We all need to be progressively minded. When I was in skool even if fees were increased to 100k I think I can still afford it but how many of my friends who are even more brilliant than myself could? so many students are from poor background and you discovered that they are the most brilliant.

Any sensible Nigerian should not discourage the poor students from going to skool, I am sure Prof Adeleke or whats his name called must have studied on a scholarship, fed and catered for .

Any VC that needed money should go to Convenant or the likes, the Constitution spelt out the responsibility of the govt as regards education, some of them should go and read it. One of the paraameters of development is education, every one should have access to affordable education.
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Seun(m): 2:25am On Dec 24, 2007
In this case, public education is the responsibility of the government (public sector), and that cannot be changed.
Fortunately for Nigeria, you're wrong. The status quo can be changed. The government can turn the universities into public corporations and sell shares to the general public. I'm dying to buy shares in UNILAG PLC. wink
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Keziah(f): 10:57am On Dec 24, 2007
Seun now i understand where you are going. No wonder,
Re: Universities Try To Increase Tuition Fees by Purist(m): 11:41am On Dec 24, 2007
Seun:

Fortunately for Nigeria, you're wrong. The status quo can be changed. The government can turn the universities into public corporations and sell shares to the general public. I'm dying to buy shares in UNILAG PLC. wink

Ultimately, this still turns out to be the responsiblity of the government. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gain Admission Into Second Year University Of Your Choice With A-levels / Oau Direct Entry 2011/12 / Lets See Help Out Our WAEC Physics Candidates With Ideas On Practicals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.