Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players (3194 Views)

Snooker Pool Table & Table Tennis Table 08063530269 / I Want To Buy A Standard Table Tennis Board / Ping Pong (Table Tennis) Training Videos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Zahymaka(m): 11:30pm On Apr 05, 2006
Hello. Do you play ping pong (table tennis)? Can you tell us some of your ideals of a good game of ping pong, what strokes you prefer, etc?
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Zahymaka(m): 11:34pm On Apr 05, 2006
I'll start with me.

I gauge the other player when "tossing" to decide what kind of grip to use. If my opponent is vey aggressive [has lots of drive not necessarily smashing] then I use the pen grip, otherwise I use the "normal" one.

I love looping, and play best when the other person has asense of rhythm. I don't like competing because it makes me think only of winning instead of concentrating on my game and enjoying myself.

I prefer aggressive players to non-aggressive ones and I do not like chopping [although I have a very deadly chop]. I also don't like staying close to the board. I also prefer playing with lefties to righties.

I'll stop for now. Any other ping pong players in the house?

1 Like

Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by LoverBwoy(m): 12:10am On Apr 11, 2006
i like doing the "robo" serve when im losing or need some point margin

i like rallies

i like counter-smashing

my uncle played 4 nigeria sometimes during 70s, so i had loads of materials wen i was young
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by babwilms(m): 9:53pm On Apr 17, 2006
@loverBwoy. I remember that robe serve. I hate it when someone gives me that service, the ball just spin away from my bat. I really wished i knew how to give one

1 Like

Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Zahymaka(m): 9:59pm On Apr 17, 2006
How is this robo serve like? I've gotten all kinds of serves -- is it that one that skips off your bat if you don't smash it?
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Vieira(m): 9:20am On Apr 18, 2006
Robo is the serve that has lots of spin on it.

You have to "cut it" when returning it.

If you just try to play it back normally it will spin of your bat at a funny angle.
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Seun(m): 9:15pm On Mar 28, 2007
How many games do you normally play to determine the winner of a match? 3? 5? 7?
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by egbon(m): 9:17pm On Mar 28, 2007
Played in the UK Single/Doubles Table-Tennis Univeristy Open in 1992.

The key is to have a good paddle, which you can return a server, "robo", "loop" and "esha"  wink

1 Like

Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by kobe(m): 1:34am On Mar 29, 2007
ahhhh eyin oni robo, that serve is illegal and you know it.

the ball must be in the palm of your hands, thrown up, and then served.
robo can't/shouldn't be used in an official game.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Seun(m): 7:41am On Mar 29, 2007
Is "robo" harder to return than a legal service?
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by kobe(m): 7:53am On Mar 29, 2007
not necessarily, I'd Zap a "robo" up with a fore-hand top-spin, excuse the language.

It is however one of the most widely used serves in casual t-t games in Nig. (see nigeria front-yards/back-yards), and it gives the server a chance to accumulate some cheap/easy points.

I'd say check out you tube to watch some high-quality table tennis pro-matches, the speed, spins, smashes, body control, body-movement, skills, finesse, hand-eye co-ordination needed, tt can be very enjoyable for anyone who's half-decent at it.
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Seun(m): 2:56pm On Mar 29, 2007
Do you think table tennis would be a good spectator sport in Nigeria, like soccer?
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by kobe(m): 6:02pm On Mar 29, 2007
capital NO
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by LoverBwoy(m): 6:21pm On Mar 29, 2007
I prefer playing table tennis than watching it, sometimes i dont mind watching those pros play though shocked
they have some crazy smash and return rally
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Seun(m): 6:25pm On Mar 29, 2007
You mean like the play in the following clip? smiley

[flash=425,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVfBZ7I2Mk[/flash]
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by LoverBwoy(m): 10:21pm On Mar 29, 2007
Yeeeah!!! shocked grin those people be winch!

1 Like

Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by kobe(m): 7:58am On Mar 30, 2007
no doubt
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by justin04(m): 8:34am On Mar 30, 2007
I remember those days we played ping pong with asbestos paddle and we step on the egg(ping pong ball) and to make it usable again we will boil water and perform surgery on the egg. I have not heard these terms in a long time"esha, robo etc.
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by ezinwa(m): 3:56pm On Mar 30, 2007
if there is any style i hate, it's picking. i love smarshing especially back hand stroke. i also like cutting! ESHA!!!. if you must play with me you must show your ball ( very serious)
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by akara(m): 10:09am On Mar 31, 2007
The video's superb
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by jydoh(m): 10:14am On Mar 31, 2007
justin04:

I remember those days we played ping pong with asbestos paddle and we step on the egg(ping pong ball) and to make it usable again we will boil water and perform surgery on the egg. I have not heard these terms in a long time"esha, robo etc.

I guess u shuld also remember "auskey", "backhand","baba-sala" etc grin grin grin
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by osegwu(m): 3:37pm On Apr 01, 2007
I quese you guys are making me remember my days as African

High School Champion.

Still me
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Zahymaka(m): 8:08pm On Jun 11, 2007
Table Tennis is perhaps, one of the fastest games in the world. You have just a fraction of a second to react, and sometimes only your instincts may save you. As you get better, you'll begin to realize the importance of spin, footwork, and you begin to pay more attention to your equipment.

The thickness and material of the table is very important for a standard bounce, and trying out a handful of table tennis blades and rubbers should give you an idea of what best fits your style. I use a Butterfly (I think it's either a Firehand or an Xstar -- not sure which). I initially intended upgrading to a [url=http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0008G2V9E/ref=s9_asin_title_1-1966_g1/002-4143280-9514445?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=IIGPTKU0QXHM2&colid=36UF0RR2H0XCX&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=07YT5WV42HDW8F61J39C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=279439101&pf_rd_i=507846]Primorac Carbon[/url] but the price for a Viscaria came down recently and I'm going for it.

The last thing I wanted to say was that we have very good players, but the sports industry in Nigeria is focused exclusively on football. We have some very good players -- Musa Atanda, although he's over 40 and retired is one of the best players in the USA (currently number 7 on this list), the best player in West Virginia is a doctor called Dayo (I played him at the state championships and he wiped the ground with me), and Segun Toriola plays with the very best.

The video below is one I encoded from the 2006 World's. It's a little low-quality because I had to keep under the Youtube file size limit. Segun Toriola goes head-to-head with Jean Michel Saive. Segun was up 3-0 and if he had won the fourth game, he would have won the match, but due to lack of practice (see this article, he was quite below par. Enjoy:

[flash=425,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbvnf6BKJI[/flash]
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by ajaniade1: 12:41am On Jul 29, 2012
I think cutting/sliding is better than lubing the ball....
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Horus(m): 11:57am On Sep 18, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27LEujG8sY

Table tennis in Nigeria ittf senior tournament

2 set between Omotaio Olajide and Kazzem
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
Hmmm,,,nice thread,,,i intend getting a good blade and rubber for my bat,,,but I don't know wer to get one coz they have thoz amate bats in shops,,,if u know of any,holla m on watsapp,,09050075268
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by din1911(m): 5:44pm On Nov 09, 2018
I'm planning to buy new ping pong paddle soon and I've found ping pong paddle reviews https://fidgetsguide.com/best-ping-pong-paddles/ recently too. Now I'm thinking of buying STIGA Pro Carbon, it has a competitive price.
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by justinbukcly: 10:54am On Nov 25, 2019
Table Tennis is perhaps one of the fastest games in the world. I enjoy this game & whenever I get time I try to play this game by family member or friends. Besides table tennis, I also like & suggest to play basketball so that their body is energetic. I've already published a blog ChooseWiserly where I will discuss basketball, table tennis, football in future.
Re: Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Players by benaam433: 1:14pm On Nov 26, 2019
I've found an amazing tennis android game for you. It is the Ultimate Tennis. You will also get Ultimate Tennis Mod APK too. By installing the mod you will get Unlimited Gold Coins and Gems. All the premium items will be unlocked too. So you should try this game too.

(1) (Reply)

England, Usa, Slovenia, Algeria: Group C - Group Of Champions! / Top 5 Nigerian Defenders Of All Time. / I Need 3 Years To Rebuild Eagles -siasia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.