Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,353 members, 7,860,919 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:59 PM

A Suggestion To Improve Buyer Confidence In Nairaland Auto Section - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / A Suggestion To Improve Buyer Confidence In Nairaland Auto Section (504 Views)

My Nasty and Horrible Pre order Experience with a Nairaland Auto Dealer / Order Your Car From Any Nairaland Auto Dealer And Pay On Delivery / Nairaland's Auto Section Profiled In SuccessDigest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Suggestion To Improve Buyer Confidence In Nairaland Auto Section by txswat: 3:08am On Jul 21, 2012
I know my idea might not be widely popular but I believe it'll bring more integrity and confidence to potential automobile buyers on nairaland. I think sellers should post VIN for every car listed for sale. If there is nothing to hide then I really don't see why it should be an issue. Even though there is a "buyer beware" rule I think it'll help when buyers have more information at their finger tips than having to BEG sellers for the info.
If the VIN is not posted within 3days of the posting the ad should be deleted. I know it sounds harsh but it forces more transparency that I think is badly needed here. My two cents.....
Re: A Suggestion To Improve Buyer Confidence In Nairaland Auto Section by USAutoBuy(m): 5:25am On Jul 21, 2012
txswat: I know my idea might not be widely popular but I believe it'll bring more integrity and confidence to potential automobile buyers on nairaland. I think sellers should post VIN for every car listed for sale. If there is nothing to hide then I really don't see why it should be an issue. Even though there is a "buyer beware" rule I think it'll help when buyers have more information at their finger tips than having to BEG sellers for the info.
If the VIN is not posted within 3days of the posting the ad should be deleted. I know it sounds harsh but it forces more transparency that I think is badly needed here. My two cents.....

[b]The idea is not bad nor new. Anyone on this forum long enough would have known that the idea was practiced and enforced about 4 yrs ago. It is a time consuming effort (not to mention emotionally draining) to keep tracking/policing every ad to see if the VIN is posted or for how long the VIN has/has not been posted.

The truth is that high percentage of cars imported into Nigeria is salvaged (i will put it around 80% if you ask me). Going by that odds, its safe to assume that the car you are looking at is POSSIBLY salvaged.

While we cannot throw the baby away with the bathwater, the next question is trying to determine how bad is the salvage to see if the function-ability of the car will be affected/not.

If you have to be begging, dragging the issue of a VIN with a seller, i will say you just move to something else. Means that the seller is neither ready,able nor willing to sell.

Even if the VIN is provided and its clean, ALWAYS DO THIS BEFORE YOU PAY:

Conduct an inspection of the car with a QUALIFIED Mechanic ( or someone experienced).

Verify the VIN provided versus what is on the car. Some "smart" dealers have been known to provide a VIN of a clean ride different from what they are selling. Similar to providing a different picture of a car and you show up looking at a completely different and beat up car.

Always go with your gut feelings. There are only VERY FEW (IF ANY) fairy tales/tales by the moonlight in life. If its too good to be true, it probably is. Someone looking for a clean title / non accidented fresh TOKS 2009/2010 Camry with leather for N2m will be duped in no time if not careful But hey this is Nairaland, there are so many "KEYBOARD SUPER HEROS" floating around.

At the end of the day, its still... "Buyers Beware"

Goodluck out there.[/b]

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Got N1m To Buy A Toyota Or Honda Car: Pls Advice! / Pls Who Has Used Bvshipping Before & How Reliable Are They (urgent) / Honda 2006, Tokunbo Used, Price: 2m, +234 803 729 8777

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.