Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,506 members, 7,770,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:23 AM

LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? (17103 Views)

Crt Vs Lcd -which Has A Better Picture Quality / 2HP split unit AC, "Big" Screen Lcd Or Led Tv And Home Theatre Needed / Urgent: Who Has An Lcd Or Plasma Tv For Sale? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2007
I'm looking to buy a TV. can anyone list the pros and cons of LCD vs Plasma vs good old fashioned CRT?

power consumption, ruggedness ( a must for naija PHCN), etc?

thanx
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Seun(m): 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2007
LCD or plasma TVs require less electric power and take up less space.
But they are far too expensive and have viewing angle quirks.

CRT TVs are capable and more affordable if image fidelity is your only concern.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 10, 2007
Seun,

would u buy an LG plasma 32" for n100,000?
or LG LCD 32" for n120,000
or LG CRT 29" 50,000 or thereabouts

if i can find a 32" LG CRT. . . myb i'll go for that.(new technology dey get kleg 4 naija. . . )
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Seun(m): 12:57pm On Dec 10, 2007
My answer would depend on the features of the specific TV models in question.

In Nigeria, I'll probably go for the CRT for three reasons: (1) price. (2) cost. (3) expenses.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 10, 2007
guess i'll do the same. . .

eeyah. . .that LCD would have looked coooool in my sitting room . . . sad

thanx! grin
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by blueband(m): 1:26pm On Dec 10, 2007
LCD vs. Plasma: which TV is right for you?
Take a look at our table to find out how plasma and LCD TVs compare when measured up against each other in different categories. Remember - technology changes all the time, with both plasma and LCD TVs improving in quality, so use this table as a guideline only:

Size and weight :Generally larger than LCDs, with screens up to 71 inches. Plasma TVs are usually around 10% heavier than LCD screens (meaning great care should be taken when mounting on a wall) Usually no larger than 46 inches, though larger TVs are in development. LCDs are often slightly thinner than plasma TVs.

Quality of Picture :Usually plasma screens have better contrast. Both have excellent quality and sharpness. LCD usually has a slightly clearer picture in smaller models and a higher resolution.

"Image Burn" :Nowhere near as much of a problem now as a few years ago, there is still a slight concern that images left still for a long time could be etched into the screen. This is not a problem with LCD screens.

Viewing angle :Plasma tends to have slightly better viewing angles than LCD. Some models have a restricted viewing angle, but many allow up to 160-degree

Brightness and glare: In a fully dark room, plasma TVs have better contrast and brightness than LCD screens. LCD TVs generally reflect less light and glare, so fare better in normal light conditions

Lifespan: Usually, plasma screens last for up to 60,000 hours before they dim by half. LCD TVs usually last 60,000 hours or more before they dim by a half.

Energy usage: Plasma uses slightly more power than LCD screens. LCD TVs often use less power than plasma screens. They can consume 60% less power than a CRT television

Seriously,the advantage of a CRT over plasma or LCD is the pricing.CRTs are too heavy,poor second hand value,consume more energy.But by and large they are a good buy for the price they come out.I had the Samsung 42 inch LCD but it was blurry and I had to change to the Hitachi 50inch Plasma TV.Try getting the play station 3 and you will understand why I spend all day at home.Go for a plasma my friend.You won't regret it.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Carlosein(m): 1:44pm On Dec 10, 2007
thanks blueband, but can you give us a link to your source. there could be more info even on the basis of comparison to CRT.

on the basis of seun's 1. price 2. cost 3. expenses , i would go for a CRT. IMHO, the aesthetics of plasma and LCD is not worth the price they sell.

then again let's see a link and compare.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by seun001(m): 2:53pm On Dec 10, 2007
am kind of more concerned with the difference between the two.plasma or LCD.and then again the are getting cheaper with LG crashing the prices again and again.then what about all this HD ready tv's.
i went for the LCD mainly because of the effect of the glare on the eyes.i there a lifespans for CRT's
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by dearstan(m): 3:01pm On Dec 10, 2007
Personally i would say you go for an LCD if you've got the funds. There are lots of reason's why LCD is better that CRT.
To name a few Health and lower power consumption with respect to the nigerian environmetn.

Check this link for a quick view http://www.eBuyNigeria.com/TradingPlace/item_details.php?username=tochix&id=257
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Mant(m): 3:15pm On Dec 10, 2007
Pali,

LCD is better. i was told that PLASMA has expiring date, how true is it?

Somebody to ans me

Thanks
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by blueband(m): 4:27pm On Dec 10, 2007
All televisions have the number of hours you can watch them for.On the avereage plasma TVs last for about 60,000 hours.Now if you watch televion 12 hours a day,in a year that will be 4380 hours.So you will need about 13 and half years to exhaust a Plasma TV's life time.LCD also have about the same number of hours.

For me ,I bought a plasma because of my games(Wii Sport and Pro evolution soccer).Plasma's are generally better for motion games.And HD quality of plasma is much better.If you are in Nigeria,I don't think you should be bothered about the HD part.No station broadcasts HD quality signal to Nigeria at the moment.And you will need to buy a HD DVD player to enjoy HD DVD on your TV.The players are too expensive and the DVDs are something else.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by seun001(m): 4:36pm On Dec 10, 2007
@blueband,
thanks,really appreciate the info.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by emmydee(m): 5:16pm On Dec 10, 2007
LCD is the best. but, the crt seams to understand naija better
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by twinstaiye(m): 5:59pm On Dec 10, 2007
It is not about which is the best, it is about what you need.
If you are the type that love watching actions movies, or fast moving scenes, then you have to go for Plasma. If you are the type that like watching ARSENAL type of football or MANUTD, then you go for Plasma.
But if you are the type that just like watching something smooth not fast moving, then LCD is it for you. Or better still if you are the type that love Chelsea boring playing style, then you wont complain the quality when you watch it with LCD. Just kidding about the Arsenal, manutd and chelsea angle, truth is Plasma is better when watching football than LCD. So it is your option, both are good.
However, if you are the type like me, that has the kids at home, LCD are not the best for you, because the LCD screen can be tampered with, but then at that, you can buy LCD screen cover.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Seun(m): 6:03pm On Dec 10, 2007
Whereas CRT is perfect for any purpose.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by coollove: 7:47am On Dec 11, 2007
I think LCD is better. PLs my guy make u buy LCD .

Ppl in da house. I need good furniture where and which one will be better for me.

I have like 100k to 120k
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 11, 2007
I personally prefer LCD / Plasma TV's.

I purchased a Sony 42" plasma last year, and it's been great. Very different as compared to my Panasonic 32" CRT (which I still have in my spare room). The picture quality is fantastic, it's HD ready, and for me, was the right choice.

I also recently purchased a Sony 17" LCD for my bedroom. In LCD, I wouldn't go larger than 28", the picture quality at that size isn't very sharp if you're sitting fairly close. As the screens get larger, Plasma becomes a better option.

Still, it's best to buy what you're most comfortable with.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by scambater(m): 9:42am On Dec 11, 2007
why would you need a plasma or LCD in Nigeria the satellite companies in Nigeria don't have channels that broadcast  on High definition, a lot of movies on DVD are not on HD yet. If you buying  Plasma or LCD  in Nigeria it's just to show off  because you not getting the HD quality pictures the TV was designed for. If you ask me, it's just a waste off money.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 11, 2007
scambater:

why would you need a plasma or LCD in Nigeria the satellite companies in Nigeria don't have channels the broadcast no High definition, a lot of movies on DVD are not on HD yet. If you buying Plasma or LCD in Nigeria it's just to show off because you not getting the HD quality pictures the TV was designed for. If you ask me, it's just a waste off money.

Bro, there's some confusion here!

Not all LCD or Plasma TV's are HD ready. In the same way, some CRT TV's are.

I think it's only a waste of money, if the buyer doesn't enjoy his / her purchase. You could spend as little as N100, and if you don't like what you've bought, that could be termed a waste of money. Conversely, you could spend as much as N100,000, and as long as you're pleased with what you get, it's not a waste! I guess the point I'm trying to get accross is, folk will buy what makes them happy, what you and I think becomes irrelevant.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Seun(m): 4:52pm On Dec 11, 2007
Most of them are meant to be used for high definition, widescreen TV viewing. In Nigeria we have standard definition 4:3 fullscreen. It's a waste of money. Most DVDs are mastered at half of SD resolution. If picture quality and price are your primary concerns, you should go for CRT.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by mojoy(m): 10:39pm On Dec 11, 2007
my guy, buy wetin u fit use 4 naija. Think of the finicky nature of electronics, especially when subjected to the pranks of PHCN. Won't you want something your neighbourhood repairman can handle?
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by IYaeto(f): 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2007
Got 2 LCD tvs (LG 32" and Hitachi 26" for my bedroom). Also got Samsung LCD 32" in 9ja. If you have to buy a TV forget CRT. Go for LCD or plasma (reputable manufacturers o). I'm not being funny but I've come across some funny brand names in Naija. Just buy a good one and do a search on the internet for owner reviews or independent reviews before you make up your mind. Use a power surge protection adaptor and a good stabiliser. Always turn of your stabiliser off from the main socket. (if you're using it in 9ja). Good luck! wink
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Qc1(m): 2:37am On Dec 12, 2007
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by dafunchee: 9:24pm On Dec 12, 2007
This is a general tip
you could connect your lcd to a UPS so,PHCN does not affect it with their intermittent power failure

i hope this sorts it out.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by sojioguns(m): 12:52pm On Dec 13, 2007
Let me say this:
It all depends on what you want to use the TV for. The plasma technology produces way better pictures with richer colours than the LCD technology. To be honest, the CRT technology produces the best pictures right now.
Let me give you a few pros and cons:
- LCD TVs find it difficult to produce rich blacks (they show grey instead of true black) while plasmas show true black.
Solution: always look out for the contrast ratio of LCD TVs. Opt for contrast rations of at least 1000:1
- LCD TVs tend to ghost when showing fast moving images, eg football and action movies but plasmas show them better.
Solution: Opt for LCDs with response time of at most 16ms (lower is better)
- LCD TVs have a higher resolution than plasma tvs. You can have resolutions as high as 1080p in lcd tvs but plasmas that have such resolutions cost an arm and a leg.
- About 2 years ago, life span was an issue with plasma tvs only having about 30000hours life span but today both lcd and plasma tvs have 60000 hours.
- But with the way technology is growing, both technologies are improving drastically.
I have both a professional LCD monitor which plays 1080p HD and a Sony professional plasma monitor. Trust me, the Sony plasma totally floors the LCD monitor but the LCD has a wonderful resolution.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by texazzpete(m): 12:23am On Dec 14, 2007
Seun:

Most of them are meant to be used for high definition, widescreen TV viewing. In Nigeria we have standard definition 4:3 fullscreen. It's a waste of money. Most DVDs are mastered at half of SD resolution. If picture quality and price are your primary concerns, you should go for CRT.
True, DVDs are only SD, but upscaling DVD players can upscale the resolution up to 1080i, providing you with an even sharper image. A more cogent reason to get an LCD or Plasma is gaming, with the next generation of gaming consoles supporting HD resolutions for stunning visuals. Until you hook up a PS3 to a HDTV, you won't appreciate it's graphical prowess.
I have a 37'' LCD HDTV, and i can hook up my laptop to it when i'm at home, use a wireless keyboard and mouse and easily get a 37'' monitor for my PC. You cannot dare do that on a CRT!
I agree that NIgerian providers and DSTV do not broadcast in HD yet, but DSTV should be rolling out HD channels by 2009 (so they say). Is it so bad to get a future-proof TV?

sojioguns:

Let me say this:
It all depends on what you want to use the TV for. The plasma technology produces way better pictures with richer colours than the LCD technology. To be honest, the CRT technology produces the best pictures right now.
Let me give you a few pros and cons:
- LCD TVs find it difficult to produce rich blacks (they show grey instead of true black) while plasmas show true black.
Solution: always look out for the contrast ratio of LCD TVs. Opt for contrast rations of at least 1000:1
- LCD TVs tend to ghost when showing fast moving images, eg football and action movies but plasmas show them better.
Solution: Opt for LCDs with response time of at most 16ms (lower is better)
- LCD TVs have a higher resolution than plasma tvs. You can have resolutions as high as 1080p in lcd tvs but plasmas that have such resolutions cost an arm and a leg.
- About 2 years ago, life span was an issue with plasma tvs only having about 30000hours life span but today both lcd and plasma tvs have 60000 hours.
- But with the way technology is growing, both technologies are improving drastically.
I have both a professional LCD monitor which plays 1080p HD and a Sony professional plasma monitor. Trust me, the Sony plasma totally floors the LCD monitor but the LCD has a wonderful resolution.

Just my 2 cents.

You really should be more scientific in your analysis. Contrary to what you're saying, there's little to choose between LCDs and Plasmas, and TVs with similar contrast ratio will have the same level of blacks. LCDs do not have higher resolutions than Plasmas, there are 1080p LCDs and Plasmas out there, and in fact LCDs are easily more expensive than Plasmas when you get into the 1080p territory.
Does it seem logical to you to benchmark two different products from different companies with differing specs and then on the basis of that proclaim that one technoilogy is superior to the other? It's like taking any random diesel car and any random gasoline car, racing them and then saying one is better than the other based on the finish time.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Adeolu2000: 9:39am On Dec 24, 2007
Hi all, a friend of mine just came into the country and brought in some set of Plasma TV (Full set) and some home Theatre. Serious buyers are needed for the Electronics. We need Buyers who can come up with good Price. I hope to post the Makers of the electronics soon.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by Seun(m): 10:15am On Dec 24, 2007
@Adeolu2000: Please do; some of us might just be in the mood to buy our first television sets.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by sojioguns(m): 5:30pm On Dec 24, 2007
Good please let us know more about the electronics and pictures if possible with prices also.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by watchung: 6:38pm On Dec 25, 2007
Just to add my 2 cents to the topic, I'll say if u can afford to buy either technolgy i.e. plasma or lcd then go for it as you will be future proofing yourself. As far as I know i haven't heard of any plans to broadcast HDTV signals in Nigeria but if you are into watching DVD's (both standard def & high def HDDVD/Bluray in widescreen 16:9 format), playing next generation games like the PS3 and Xbox 360 then you will definitely appreciate what your tv can do for you. I personally, I'm kinda biased towards LCD's (got 4 of them, 1 1080P and 3 720P) and they work pretty well for me especially watching those HDDVD/Bluray movies and playing PS3 games, the pictures are simply AMAZING.

Also an earlier poster noted you can also connect your laptop/desktop as I do (actually using it to type this) as well as play DVD's from your computer. The computer does a wonderful job in displaying regular standard def DVD's because it works like an upscaling DVD player but just make sure u have a video card that can put out wide screen resolution (most do).

P.S some electronic manufacturer are slowly exiting CRT production and in 5-10 years it is very likely most will stop making CRT's altogether.
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by bjluv: 1:43am On Dec 27, 2007
naija = CRT
LCD better than Plasma

where in alaba can u get someone to repair LCD/Plasma for u and for naija , CRT o jare :d
Re: LCD Or Plasma Or CRT TV? by smurf1(f): 8:43pm On Dec 06, 2008
LCD for me!!!!!! cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

FOR SALE: Brand New Iphone 3g 16gb In Nigeria:95K / Get Skillshare Access For 3 Months, Now N4k, Instead Of N25,000 ($60) / 4SALE POWERFUL!!! POWER BANK TO CHARGE ANY LAPTOPS, IPADS ETC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.