Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" (2014 Views)

Replies To Google Head Of Pr's "The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes" -A Counter / The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR / Seven Reasons Why IT Recruiters Instantly Reject Resumes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by James456: 4:07pm On Jul 23, 2012
Does they work?
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by tanimola22: 4:36pm On Jul 23, 2012
James456: Does this work?

My friend has it. It looks impressively different and has helped to distinguish him from the huge crowd of job seekers.

T22
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by James456: 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2012
I agree
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Afam4eva(m): 4:18pm On Jul 24, 2012
A video resume will set you apart from everyone else.
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by bigfat01: 4:24pm On Jul 24, 2012
good one
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 4:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
I've come across a few Video Resumes. . .some were good and others where just "Oh my God! What in the world was he thinking" embarassed

Before you venture into making a video Resume, you have to understand that where a traditional Resume gives the Hiring manager 3 choices (YES, MAYBE OR NO) with the video Resume it is either an HELL YES kiss or a FCCCUK NO angry!

So only send a video Resume ONLY when you are ABSO-LUTE-LY FREAKING SURE you have done it right.

Here are some tips on how to create a Resume. I'll also post some sample video Resumes so you can fully understand the task you are embarking on.

Video Resume Tips
How to Create a Video Resume

A video resume is a short video created by a candidate for employment that describes the individual's skills and qualifications and is typically used to supplement a traditional resume.

How a Video Resume Can Help

It's important to keep in mind that a video resume isn't going to get you a job. However, if can assist you in marketing yourself to prospective employers - if it's done right. Done poorly, it can, at best, hinder your chances of getting an interview. At worst, it can knock you out of contention and embarrass you. That's what happened to one student who sent a video showing himself lifting weights, serving tennis balls, and ballroom dancing. It made the rounds on the Internet and didn't impress, to say the least, any prospective employers.

Before you start working on your video resume, review resume video samples. Take a look at other resume videos and learn from them, considering both what works, and what doesn't.

How to Create a Video Resume

If you need help getting started on creating a resume, About.com's Guide to Desktop Video has advice on shooting video for the web and directions on how to get started on YouTube.

Tips to Help You Prepare a Professional Video Resume:

Dress professionally in business attire, just as if you were going to an in-person interview.

Keep your video resume short: one - three minutes.

Look at the camera not at the desk or table below you.

Don't speak too fast.

Make sure there isn't any background noise and that the wall behind you isn't too busy.

Practice what you're going to say ahead of time.

Start by mentioning your name (first and last).

Focus on your professional endeavors, not your personal ones.

Discuss why you would be a good employee and what you can do for the company that hires you.

Thank the viewer for considering you for employment.

Where to Upload Your Video

What do you do with your video once you've created it? Some career networking sites, like CareerBuilder, Jobster, and MyWorkster, have a section of your profile where you can include video. Or, you can upload your video to your own web site and link to it from there.

How to Promote Your Video Resume

Before you promote your resume online, ask friends or family to review it. They are more likely to pick up a glitch than you are. If it's not perfect, start over. Once your video resume is complete, there are several ways to promote it online.

- Include a link to your video resume in your paper/online resume.
- Include your video resume or a link to it in your professional profiles on career - -- -- networking sites like MyWorkster, Jobster or LinkedIn.
- Send the link to your networking contacts.

Video Resume Don'ts

Don't mix your personal life with your professional one. If you have information on your MySpace or Facebook page that you'd prefer employers don't see, don't link your video resume.

Don't expect your video resume to replace your traditional resume. Not all employers are interested and others are worried about discrimination issues i.e. hiring candidates because of how they look and sound rather than your qualifications. However, a well done video can bolster your candidacy for employment.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 24, 2012
James456: Does they work?
they does not work if you spoke like thos

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by TeskyMan(m): 4:45pm On Jul 24, 2012
gmyguy:

This guy is darm funny....... Does they work ko, does they work ni.... Gmyguy..thanks for the hilarious response. grin
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 4:55pm On Jul 24, 2012
SAMPLE VIDEOS

[flash=420,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK8hG-VN7jw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

[flash=420,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoPvdL5ZPGM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

[flash=420,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb6rzZKnL98?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

The last video is my favorite. . .the applicant sells himself in a way that says "YOU GUYS NEED ME".

Of course this only works in a work environment where that kinda attitude is APPRECIATED. I don't know where you are but going on the assumption you are in Nigeria, I wouldn't recommend going that route. I've noticed that what other cultures see as CONFIDENCE, we Nigerians see as ARROGANCE.

You don't want people going. . .

"Ehn, ehn, who does he think he is? Does he think he is better than us. . .

. . . . and the other lovely things we say when we think we are being disrespected or when we are intimidated. embarassed

So KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE . .I can't stress this enough!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 4:57pm On Jul 24, 2012
TeskyMan:

This guy is darm funny....... Does they work ko, does they work ni.... Gmyguy..thanks for the hilarious response. grin

Nothing is as funny as a DAMN funny response to another person's typo.

Yep!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by chucky234(m): 5:01pm On Jul 24, 2012
Video Resume? Don't even think about it because the company will never invite you for interview once they see your ugly face and listen to you Calabar ascent, if your like ignore my advice.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 24, 2012
It never crossed my mind that one could do a video resume but it sounds like a good idea. Too bad i'm not a Job seeker. grin
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by tanimola22: 12:36am On Jul 25, 2012
chucky234: Video Resume? Don't even think about it because the company will never invite you for interview once they see your ugly face and listen to you Calabar ascent, if your like ignore my advice.

I guess Calabar is now a language that goes up, perhaps upwardly mobile grin.

This thread is doubly ludicrous!

T22
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Nobody: 1:36am On Jul 25, 2012
I think i`d rather do a video introduction of myself.
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 1:51am On Jul 25, 2012
Brand_new: I think i`d rather do a video introduction of myself.
What will you say. . .Hello, My name is Brand New?!

That's it?
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 25, 2012
I mean myself, my business, my brand e.t.c.
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 2:17am On Jul 25, 2012
Ah I see!! A Video Business Card.

Yep, most definitely an impressive way set your business apart.

Like the Video Resume, the main rule (again depending on where you are ) is knowing your audience.

If you are in Nigeria and are dealing with people from the older generation, you know the traditional paper business card is the route to go. Unfortunately, unlike their foreign counterparts. . .most of them are not that tech savvy. You don't want to lose business opportunities because of someone else's ignorance.

Anyhoo, if you need help with it. . .just holla!! grin
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Nobody: 2:27am On Jul 25, 2012
I was just thinking of using a friends Canon 6D camera. We recently did some work with it and i was very impressed.
However, i might be needing help with video editing et al. I`d love to have something of international standard since the stuff will be going online on Youtube.
Btw. It`s just an experiment. I still believe more in the old business card thingy for local contacts.
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 2:57am On Jul 25, 2012
The real work in video making is RECORDING, if you get that right. . .you are more than half way through.

For EDITING, there are many softwares out there but I always recommend[b] MOVIE MAKER[/b]. . .especially for beginners. It is easy to use and you don't have to spend anything at all. Just Record, upload and start editing.

If I were you I will practice with pictures first before moving to videos. Go online, download as many pictures as you can, upload them to movie maker and practice.

You can also use the VIDEO EDITOR on Youtube but it is somewhat limited. . .they want you the get the PRO version and that costs money.
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Nobody: 3:04am On Jul 25, 2012
Okay ma! Just so you know. I`m a Techie. smiley
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 3:31am On Jul 25, 2012
Even Better! You shoulda said that naa. . . just letting me waste my spit. cheesy cheesy

Aiight, you are more capable!

Godspeed!! grin
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 25, 2012
Na...The tips you shared were useful and i`m sure many other people on NL can use it too.
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by Mustay(m): 5:11pm On Jul 29, 2012
tanimola22:
does this work?
T22

TeskyMan:

gmyguy:

Sisi_Kill:

Nothing is as funny as a DAMN funny response to another person's typo.

Yep!

iLike the transition. Hahahhah

I'm more interested in the workability in Nigeria. When you've got some coys that find it hard to 'sieve' through hard copies of CVs, it may be better to uplad yours on Youtube than send to them. However, if you have the privilege of knowing how the coy's HR or recruiting agency works, then it's worth the while.

One 'disadvantage' is how it gives the viewer the ease of prejudice so like it was earlier posted, if you're gonna do it, you gatz to do it purrrfffeeectly!!!
Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by James456: 2:11am On Jul 30, 2012
James456: Does they work?

Haha..Sorry for the typo.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About "Video Resumes" by SisiKill1: 1:19am On Aug 01, 2012
Mustay:

iLike the transition. Hahahhah

I'm more interested in the workability in Nigeria. When you've got some coys that find it hard to 'sieve' through hard copies of CVs, it may be better to uplad yours on Youtube than send to them. However, if you have the privilege of knowing how the coy's HR or recruiting agency works, then it's worth the while.

One 'disadvantage' is how it gives the viewer the ease of prejudice so like it was earlier posted, if you're gonna do it, you gatz to do it purrrfffeeectly!!!

Absolutely!! You can't do something like this half-assed!!

(1) (Reply)

High Paying Internship Opportunities In Lagos For Engineering Students / Entry Level Salary For Top/a-list Law Firms / 10 Most Hated Professions In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.