Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! (656 Views)

Amor4ce, Please Clear My Confusions On This Theory / Nigerian Grammar & Us - A Clear And Present Danger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! by Confuseddotcom: 12:01am On Jul 24, 2012
Basically I'm getting married next year and want to know traditionally how the following practises are to be done. If it helps, the bride is yoruba and the groom is igbo.

Which church are the couple to be married, in bride or groom's?
Who's traditional wedding ceremony/engagement do we perform, yoruba (bride) or igbo (grooms)?
What important role/s do each side (if any) have to play in preparation for the big day?
Re: Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! by ifyalways(f): 12:10am On Jul 24, 2012
Wait till the "Igbo-Yoruba" cultural troupe jams this thread. cheesy
why don't you and your bride/groom to be consult with your families,relatives and decide on what's best for two of you?
In as much as we all want to do things right and follow our traditions,when it comes to marriage,a couple should be able to make personal choices/ decisions based on their pocket and taste.
Congrats on your marriage.I love inter tribal marriages. cool
Re: Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! by Confuseddotcom: 12:32am On Jul 24, 2012
See that's the problem. We are consulting but everyone seems to have different ideas undecided
My mum (yoruba) says that the groom ought to come to the brides church to get married, but my partner seems to think its the other way round.
Re: Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! by odumchi: 1:15am On Jul 24, 2012
In Igboland, the man marries the woman and not the other way around, therefore the traditional marriage ceremony must be done in the bride's church compound.

Since he is marrying the woman, he must marry her according to the customs of her people.

As for attire, it doesn't really matter if the husband is not concerned with it.

Good luck!
Re: Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! by Confuseddotcom: 9:20am On Jul 24, 2012
Thanks guys!
Looks like hubby-to-be is getting his wires crossed. I would like like to get as many opinions on the subject (also any other aspect of the wedding/marriage procedure) before I confront him with the evidence! grin
Re: Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! by Confuseddotcom: 11:38pm On Aug 06, 2012
Too much drama right now. The wedding has been called off cry
Re: Arrgh! Please Help Me Clear This Up Once And For All! by ifyalways(f): 11:14am On Aug 07, 2012
Awww sad
This must be the handiwork of "Bluetooth-Dayokanu V chino-Okija juju"
Sweetie,what went wrong ? Dry your tears,it is well.

(1) (Reply)

SAME SEX MARRIAGE: Norway's First Lesbian Pastor Quits / Could Someone Translate Yoruba To English The Following? Thanks / The Tanzanian Lake Natron That Turns Animals Into Stone Statues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.