Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,721 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Nairaland Wants Your Real Name - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Wants Your Real Name (831 Views)

Just Incase Nairaland Wants To Hire A Moderator Or Super Moderator / Is Your Nairaland Character A True Reflection Of Your Real-life Character? / What Is Your Real Name.? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Wants Your Real Name by fagamite: 9:57am On Jul 25, 2012
It wasn’t always this way. Back before the internet (if you are old enough to remember such a time) there was little opportunity to post anonymous dirty comments, apart for rest room stalls. However, since the advent of Nairaland, it seems like everyone is a critic. Many times it seems as if everyone is a foul-mouthed, brain-dead, ignorant critic in the mould of Sagamite. You know…a comment troll.

Comment sections on Nairaland can be an especially icky part of the internet, but Nairaland owner Seun Osewa is looking to clean up its image by linking your anonymous profile with your Facebook account.

That’s correct, your real name and face may now be associated with all your pointless commentary. Including commentaries about the guy you are cheating on. Yes, Seun wants everything.

A supermod for Nairaland declined to comment today on whether more changes are in store, but it’s easy to imagine that offering accounts with real names is just a first step toward hiding, and eventually eliminating, comments from anonymous forumites. Such steps would do much to improve the perceived quality of Nairaland content.

Seun continues describing the advantages of such a system by saying, “This is your identity, so you’re in the driver’s seat. First off, your name. If you are currently Nairaland user Sagamite, you can now appear as Ponle Sagamu of University of Bristol School of Fucktards, the full name from your Facebook profile (with an actual space in the middle!), along with any photo you uploaded.”

“Next step, your past activity. Maybe you posted a few things way back (all those “I love you Naijababes!!” comments?) that you’d rather not associate with publicly. By clicking “Review my content,” you can see every video, comment or playlist you’ve ever posted, and decide whether you want it associated with your full name before making the change.”

If you don’t want to use your Facebook account, you can refuse, but you are prompted with a second attempt such as, “Are you sure?” Then, like some kind of internet degenerate and fucktardeen, you must explain why you don’t want to use your full name.

Civility and free speech are difficult to balance even among people who agree on things. Add in thousands of anonymous know-it-alls, dimwits arrogating intellectual superiority to themselves and we have, well, the internet as we know it. This is definitely a step in the right direction for Nairaland; whether or not its users will actually start using their real names is another question.

redOrbit (http://s.st/1uSE1)
Re: Nairaland Wants Your Real Name by 190theclown: 10:03am On Jul 25, 2012
Rotfl

Sagamite has been called out

Op - what about coogar, call him out too
Re: Nairaland Wants Your Real Name by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 25, 2012
I am reyginus nwokebirinwatuoalae.I've been gainfully unemployed on NL for a year now.thanks
Re: Nairaland Wants Your Real Name by pendusky(m): 1:34pm On Jul 25, 2012
Looking forward to seeing that change! That means 190 would not get a space to breath coz when ure ban u nid a new fb acount to join! Eeeeya! grin grin and i will wil seeing those gorgeous faces of mukina, grin freecocoa grin pendo89 wink and hairlyanus shocked ! Sexkilz shocked Jarus shocked The change We need! grin grin
Re: Nairaland Wants Your Real Name by fagamite: 10:11am On Jul 27, 2012
Bumpology!
Re: Nairaland Wants Your Real Name by chucky234(m): 12:37am On Jul 28, 2012
Nice idea, imagine what Shymmex,Chedarking,Coogar,Jmaine,Billyonaire real names will sound like,I have to pre-install some crash-preventive softwares on my phones so they don't crash on ready those bombarding names.
But mine is Chuck Y123
How you pronounce my surname is your choice

(1) (Reply)

How We Rescued Osun Speaker’s Wife, By Ogun CP / Lagos Police Arrest Suspected Serial Murderer, Robber With Pics / Need Some Explanations On Some NL Stuffs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.