Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test (37955 Views)

Job Vacancy At Job Link Recruitment Agency Ikeja. / How To Answer “why Are You Interested In This Position?” At Job Interviews / How Do I Boost My Self-Confidence At Job Interviews? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by boyendowed(m): 10:01pm On Jul 29, 2012
obo_man: I disagree with the OP on this matter. I used to live with a very clever P.H.D student, who was dyslexic. He is white European, and at the time was working on viruses and how they mutate.

He struggles to read, yet he got his P.H.D at just 27. Now, he is working for a Pharmaceutical firm in America.

I'm sure if the OP had given him that 'primary school' test, he might as well struggled, but should that kind of test be a prerequisite for a Job in Geology, Engineering, e.t.c?

The are many great minds that struggle with words and numbers, but should those basic and simple questions define their intellectual ability to do certain jobs?

I thINK NOT.

Well said

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by FSU: 10:02pm On Jul 29, 2012
acidtalk: It is so sad how our educational system has deteriorated. A friend invited me to come and help him with the test given to applicants for various positions in his company.
The whole vacant positions were for B.Sc Holders in different fields like Engineering, Business Administration, Economics, Geology and so many others.

A total of 67 people were present for the test and believe it or not, only 3 people actually knew the difference between the below words.

Thought - Taught
Mood - Mode
Sight - Site
Course - Curse
Suit - Suite
Fill - Feel
Hear - Ear
Browse - Surf
Rain - Reign

More than Half of them kept on typing in short forms thinking they were chatting with their Blackberry or Facebook friends.

How bad will things like this keep happening amongst our so called educated youths and graduates especially?

What is the difference between surf and browse? They both imply looking at something (in this case an internet site) casually. I agree though that browse is more formal than surf

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Afam4eva(m): 10:02pm On Jul 29, 2012
Do people still take Nigerian certificates seriously?? When I formally launch my compant, I'm not looking out for certificates. I will even employ some bright secondary school graduates ahead of the so-called BSC holders. The Nigerian educational system sucks.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Smhart1(f): 10:05pm On Jul 29, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]for real almost everyone is concerned...baba God will help us
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 29, 2012
Its well Oº°˚˚°ºO
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by tonyx4x44(m): 10:10pm On Jul 29, 2012
Lebee4: funny somehow.
Talking about the shorthand thing, its high time job seekers started avoiding it cos it corrupt writing just like pigeon English.
pidgin

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by manny4life(m): 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2012
Well, they might not know the difference, after all they're not writing nor publishing a book, however, these are common words, BSC or not, people should know it.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2012
The challenge is Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊Ŧ emphasis is placed solely on the "Paper Certificate"... Must everybody work in an office
Parents aя̩̥̊ε not helping matters at all. Nobody wants to hear Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊Ŧ I write poems...Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊Ŧ was how I stopped drawing 5years ago. Now Ω̴̩̩̩̥♏ fighting to save my poetic life. When parents or d society place importance on the paper certificate, what do u expect I remember during a departmental Ɲᵢᵍᴴᵀ when a contestant was asked to spell "COMMITTEE", she fumbled. People will do anything to make sure they have the certificate.
Also, Nigerians don't read! They spend time watching movies and even when watching the movies they don't listen for new words. The brain needs to be refreshed and upgraded.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by alaoeri: 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2012
Op just take a little trip to any of the NYSC orientation camp & see nigerian graduates, where ppl that call themselves graduate can't fill a form. Infact the situation is so pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by mchenry(m): 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2012
obo_man: I disagree with the OP on this matter. I used to live with a very clever P.H.D student, who was dyslexic. He is white European, and at the time was working on viruses and how they mutate.

He struggles to read, yet he got his P.H.D at just 27. Now, he is working for a Pharmaceutical firm in America.

I'm sure if the OP had given him that 'primary school' test, he might as well struggled, but should that kind of test be a prerequisite for a Job in Geology, Engineering, e.t.c?

There are many great minds that struggle with words and numbers, but should those basic and simple questions define their intellectual ability to do certain jobs?

I thINK NOT.

They gave the test to 67 people and only three people knew the difference between those words. Are you trying to say 64 people could have been dyslexic or possess a form of impairment preventing them from knowing better?

10 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by futoprince: 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2012
Yes! we have caught on of them. still wondering the kind of creativity that will emanate from a man who does not know how to spell the word- creativity.
obo_man: If I'm a in position to interview candidates, creativity and problem-solving skills would be what I will be looking for, rather than their ability to spell.

Problem-solving skills make businesses thrive, creativity takes businesses to the next level.

Checking candidates' mastery of words is sometimes irrelevant in businesses and companies.

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 29, 2012
yommy2sure:
make ur friend try me too....no be mouth o...yommyunlimited@ovi.com
Seriously, dis info can't be true; 3 outta 67? Yea, spellings can be a problem buh talkin of meanings (simple words of such), its more of a joke. I'm not disputin d fact dat such guys dosnt exist, buh disputin d stat...as grads, its rily necessary 4us 2 diff btw (in)formal write ups as rgds d use of shrt txts, acronyms & abbrs.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Mavor: 10:17pm On Jul 29, 2012
I'll attribute this to the fact that most people in this country don't read on a regular basis. Even if it's a simple magazine or any of dailies.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by wysenas(m): 10:18pm On Jul 29, 2012
Educate yurself,dont expect d teacher or lecturer to teach u everything,they are just to guide u.tell me how many nigerian youth or under graduates today read books or do research on their own.the above questions that d applicants failed are not primary school questions but use of English. those words are synonyms,words that sound d same but different meanings.una see d negative effect of facebook ping me and 2go chatting.only God will help us sha.iam out jare !

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by mutiply: 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2012
And some persons will still criticise the polytectnic system of education and place universities graduates above them.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Tinyemeka(m): 10:24pm On Jul 29, 2012
yommy2sure:
make ur friend try me too....no be mouth o...yommyunlimited@ovi.com

Pally you've failed already.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Acidosis(m): 10:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
Frustration could make one write in such manner.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2012
futoprince: Yes! we have caught on of them. still wondering the kind of creativity that will emanate from a man who does not know how to spell the word- creativity.

Are you referring to me?
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by 411boardcom: 10:31pm On Jul 29, 2012
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 10:35pm On Jul 29, 2012
mchenry:

They gave the test to 67 people and only three people knew the difference between those words. Are you trying to say 64 people could have been dyslexic or possess a form of impairment preventing them from knowing better?

God bless you.
I decided not to respond to his post because it lacked merit.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 29, 2012
mchenry:

I never said dyslexia is responsible for all of the 64 candidates that failed the test. All I'm saying is that those 'primary school' tests are irrelevant in certain jobs where creative and problem-solving skills are needed.

My Architect couldn't spell properly, but lawrrd did he design a spectacle of a house for me, that friends marvelled at and admired........ Obo_man... wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Series22(m): 10:38pm On Jul 29, 2012
But make una no vex o, wetin b d difrence btw browse and surf? Sumbodi shuld help me. Am a graduate too

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Acidosis(m): 10:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
futoprince: Yes! we have caught on of them. still wondering the kind of creativity that will emanate from a man who does not know how to spell the word- creativity.

"abegi leave matter for martha" forget all these cooporate Nigerian jargons. .always speaking grammatical slangs under the auspices of a low, poor, bad and undeveloped system.

you people should hide your grammar under your pillow, then allign yourselves and queue all the way to China. . .let their teenagers teach the professors among you what intelligence is all about. . .

4 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by seedord247(m): 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
That's why most of them have to take english 1100 when they come to USA to do their masters.

The worst part is that most of the english class they are taking is already been taught in high school.

Nigeria education need severe orientation.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Acidosis(m): 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2012
Series22: But make una no vex o, wetin b d difrence btw browse and surf? Sumbodi shuld help me. Am a graduate too

Now our Nigerian graduate. B.Eng, MSc, PhD. in Computing and bla. . .bla. . .bla wants to know the difference between browsing and surfing on a gadget built by a Chinese teenager. . . .

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
Brand_new: OMG! shocked
I'd rather employ a young school leaver. A university degree these days does not guarantee qualities like intelligence and resoursefulnes.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:54pm On Jul 29, 2012
Lebee4: funny somehow.
Talking about the shorthand thing, its high time job seekers started avoiding it cos it corrupt writing just like pigeon English.

Guy, you self no try at all. I hope you know say na pidgin English I dey use type this reply.

Na PIDGIN ENGLISH not PIGEON ENGLISH.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by yommy2sure(m): 10:55pm On Jul 29, 2012
donedy: I bet most people here will fail half of those if tested..
speak for yourself....bet on yourself dude!

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by mejai(m): 10:56pm On Jul 29, 2012
laugh don make me enta space shuttle. abeg, pardon dem, afterall it's not der mother's tongue.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Acidosis(m): 10:58pm On Jul 29, 2012
Acidosis:

Now our Nigerian graduate. B.Eng, MSc, PhD. in Computing and bla. . .bla. . .bla wants to know the difference between browsing and surfing on a gadget built by a Chinese teenager. . ..
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by yommy2sure(m): 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2012
afam4eva: Do people still take Nigerian certificates seriously?? When I formally launch my compant, I'm not looking out for certificates. I will even employ some bright secondary school graduates ahead of the so-called BSC holders. The Nigerian educational system sucks.
just want talk for every thread... I pity the graduates that will drop their certificates to work at your 'compant'...y do ppl generalize so much?
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by yommy2sure(m): 11:05pm On Jul 29, 2012
bharnjey:
Seriously, dis info can't be true; 3 outta 67? Yea, spellings can be a problem buh talkin of meanings (simple words of such), its more of a joke. I'm not disputin d fact dat such guys dosnt exist, buh disputin d stat...as grads, its rily necessary 4us 2 diff btw (in)formal write ups as rgds d use of shrt txts, acronyms & abbrs.
i do wonder too, kpmg conducted a test sometimes ago and only 3 out of about 30 passed. But still thats no basis for generalization...the set is a universal one and only a subset was tested.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lagos Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2012 / World Bank Is Currently Recruiting Young Nigerians (see Link And Apply) / FG Approves 15,000 NDLEA Recruitments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.