Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test (37957 Views)

Job Vacancy At Job Link Recruitment Agency Ikeja. / How To Answer “why Are You Interested In This Position?” At Job Interviews / How Do I Boost My Self-Confidence At Job Interviews? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 30, 2012
logica: The funny thing is, I noticed that even Americans (confirm on facebook, blackplanet, etc) usually write "I would of" rather than "I would have". They can't tell the difference between "of" and "have".
Why pedaling rumor? The problem is that American English is different the British English mostly on usages. And what you are trying to emphasize on in your comment is based on those individuals who speak/use the informal English. However, 'I would of' is never to be used in any conversation within the nation. While you are trying to insinuate something that is prevalent with the online forum and general non-standard chat to prove your point there is need for you to know that it only makes you look ridiculous and prove you wrong.

I would advise you to stop spreading false information.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by jaybee(f): 2:46am On Jul 30, 2012
betrani: English to me shouldn't b a prerequisite! If u can deliver the job, fine! If u can go with german, spanish, dutch, chinese, swahili, etc and can get quality service rendered then to hell with who ever it is! D chinese that execute most jobs around today, are they so good in english? I agree with u 100%

well, the language may not matter, what matters is the comprehension. and i insist that you must comprehend a problem before you can solve it. Mastery of your working language is absolutely necessary. whether it is english, french, japanese, chinese, russian etc. those chinese you refer to understand their language and it is their working language. they have their engineering books written in chinese. give a chinese worker instructions in yoruba language and wait for the result. your guess is as good as mine. and i can bet you the chinese you are referring to are very good at enlish language, they may not have the european or american accents, but they sure comprehend english very well, to the extent they can translate it to their language and work with it. since we did not develop our languages, and technology, we MUST learn and be sufficiently proficient in other peoples languages to be able to solve science, technology and engineering problems, because they have hidden the solutions in their language. if english is your problem, go with german, spanish, dutch, chinese, swahili etc as suggested above. otherwise if you strongly believe language does not matter in problem solving, write your computer programs in hausa, ibo, yoruba, or ijaw.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Exuberant: 3:18am On Jul 30, 2012
Thank you
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by prodam(m): 4:13am On Jul 30, 2012
@OP, you termed it 'primary school question'..fine!!
So since a graduate who studied for example, an engineering course failed your primary school english test questions, that means he or she is not employable.
I would accept this as a fact if and only if, you can re-invite these same people and this time, give them primary school mathematics question such as addition or multiplication involving 2 digits without using a calculator.if after this test, the same 3 graduates pass, then your conclusion is right..but if otherwise, this topic should be in the Joke section and try to meet as many people as possible daily till u come accross a lawyer who can not divide 23 by 2 except he sees a calculator.
#humanResources is not an easy field
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Oseniade(m): 4:15am On Jul 30, 2012
Guy no dey format us jo! 3 out of 67.You must think in your wildest dream we never saw the four walls of a tertiary institution.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by adconline(m): 4:19am On Jul 30, 2012
Where= were: I don't know why some people can't get it right. I have told my relative to stop writing me in BB/FB jargon, but he won't listen.
Even folks that went to the so-called "good" govt. schools are no better.
How about using Google to check your spelling? I thought lazy students loved expo? I guess we are intellectually lazy!
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by antitpiah: 4:20am On Jul 30, 2012
charlsecy4:

WRONG
Please, it is HOMOPHONE, not SYNONYM. Homophone is each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings.....

The pronunciations arent the same though, at least to native speakers.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 4:25am On Jul 30, 2012
One thing I realized when I came home was that Many Nigerians have problem enunciating the the sound "th" as in thought and think. Many pronounce these words as taught and tink respectively confusing their listeners. Had to use my brain to conclude what they meant to say when I talk to a lot of my friends back home. The irony is that my Dad, my grandfather and many of his older friends, pronounce it the right way by sticking out their tongue and letting a little air out; that's the only way you can differentiate between these words: thought vs taught, thick vs tick, thank vs tank and many others, otherwise you listener would be left confused. Same goes with: The, There, That, Those and many other "th" words, you need to stick your tongue out and let out some air.
What does this tell us? Our English teachers in the last 20-30 years have failed us.

General Ibrahim Babangida is perhaps one of the most articulate leaders of our time. Yes I may have issues with his records but I give him credit for his superb english articulation skills. Same goes with Tafawa Balewa, Ojukwu, Gowon, Sarduna of Sokoto, Sule Maitama and many others.

[flash=400,425]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEiMEVhH1c4&feature=related''[/flash]

[flash=400,425]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg''[/flash]

Same goes with General Ike Nwachukwu landmark address to the United Nations in 1989.
[flash=400,425]
NEED TO WATCH THIS:
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/9373-1''[/flash]
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 4:30am On Jul 30, 2012
kama1210: OP: I guess your friend must have been looking for English students not really those with the corresponding potential. Why not ask questions based on the company setting? Once more, was their failure based on short text , spelling error or unable to define the words? Why not give questions that explores their dexterity? Even those that made it may not even do the main job well. My friends went for Bank test, she is a statistician, but was given essay on Boko Haram instead of calculation or bank related questions.

It is this sort of mentality that is killing Nigeria.

So because he needs Engineers and Economist is his father's company he just employ those who will mess up his father's company when they go for presentations and meetings?

Please be realistic, We scream English isn't or mother tongue and all rubbish and go as far as comparing them with the chinese and Indians forgetting that if we can't dare match them in terms of creativity, shouldn't we surpass them in terms of managerial skill?

Must we always be the worst in everything?
As for your friend and her interview, it is only normal for everyone to know little of everything. The bank wanted to test her reasoning, and from your comment, I believe she messed up big time because she thinks just the way you do.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by 2sexy(m): 4:34am On Jul 30, 2012
Lebee4: funny somehow.
Talking about the shorthand thing, its high time job seekers started avoiding it cos it corrupt writing just like pigeon English.
Don't some folks know the difference between formal and informal environment? It's a pity though. I use short hand when texting on my mobile but never will I ever use it in a formal context.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 4:36am On Jul 30, 2012
Oseniade: Guy no dey format us jo! 3 out of 67.You must think in your wildest dream we never saw the four walls of a tertiary institution.

Shut up and stop being a foool!!!
It is nuisance like you who will make mouth to high heavens only to perform worse.
Is it a medal I am expecting from you that I came out to share a real life scenerio?
If you can't learn and advice dullards around you to all change for the better, can't you keep your fingers where they belong?
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by 2sexy(m): 4:41am On Jul 30, 2012
prodam: @OP, you termed it 'primary school question'..fine!!
So since a graduate who studied for example, an engineering course failed your primary school english test questions, that means he or she is not employable.
I would accept this as a fact if and only if, you can re-invite these same people and this time, give them primary school mathematics question such as addition or multiplication involving 2 digits without using a calculator.if after this test, the same 3 graduates pass, then your conclusion is right..but if otherwise, this topic should be in the Joke section and try to meet as many people as possible daily till u come accross a lawyer who can not divide 23 by 2 except he sees a calculator.
#humanResources is not an easy field
Don't use excuse to condone failure here and think your statements are logical. C'mon, look at those questions and aren't they cheap? Abegi... Later some people go say them graduate and no work. It's pathetic! Even at my level, I keep telling myself that I need to improve.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by 2sexy(m): 4:48am On Jul 30, 2012
acidtalk:

Short up and stop being a foool!!!
It is nuisance like you who will make mouth to high heavens only to perform worse.
Is it a medal I am expecting from you that I came out to share a real life scenerio?
If you can't learn and advice dullards around you to all change for the better, can't you keep your fingers where they belong?
And come to think of it, they are Bsc holders. What a disgrace to their institutions.

Ogbeni... Abeg employ me with HND me sef need job wella.

Acidtalk, haven't you heard that if ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise? Leave that guy to his perpectual and abyssmal stup!d!ty!
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Lakayana: 4:58am On Jul 30, 2012
Talking about the shorthand thing, its high time job seekers started avoiding it cos it corrupt writing just like pigeon English.
It is pidgin not pigeon you are one of those that will fail that pigeon you wrote is a bird.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by IleIfe2(m): 5:04am On Jul 30, 2012
Brand_new: OMG! shocked
I`d rather employ a young school leaver. A university degree there days does not guarantee qualities like intelligence and resoursefulnes.

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 5:19am On Jul 30, 2012
Brand_new: OMG! shocked
I`d rather employ a young school leaver. A university degree there days does not guarantee qualities like intelligence and resoursefulnes.

It's not "resoursefulnes" my friend but "resourcefulness" . When next you bash our Nigerian university degree holders, watch your spellings. I think you would have failed this interview too.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 5:28am On Jul 30, 2012
acidtalk:

Shut up and stop being a foool!!!

Hope you understand the difference between "advice" and "advise". In your sentence, the proper usage is "advise" as in verb, not noun. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by antitpiah: 5:34am On Jul 30, 2012
Danka7777:

Hope you understand the difference between "advice" and "advise". In your sentence, the proper usage is "advise" as in verb, not noun. Thanks.

Can you imagine? He is such a disgrace to his Alma mater. Our education system has gone to the dogs for real
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by poj(m): 5:44am On Jul 30, 2012
@ acidtalk are you serious? If true there are problems. I sincerely believe that there are thousands out there, even on this forum that will do justice to even more difficult tasks. That is bound to happen when employers shut out 2:2 candidates hopin the 2:1 n first class are better; d fact is some of them arranged their grades. No matter wht i stil blv quality graduates abound in nigeria, we encounter them evry nw n then, even on ds forum
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by mu2sa2: 5:54am On Jul 30, 2012
Physician heal thyself. Are you a graduate Lebee4? Tell us the difference: pigeon English and pidgin English.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Ayatullah(m): 5:54am On Jul 30, 2012
THANKS A BILLION DANKA7777, IT SHOWS PROFESSOR acidtalk NEEDS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL TOO!

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by mu2sa2: 6:03am On Jul 30, 2012
I dont believe that most of them failed because they dont know the correct answers. The truth is that the youth today are not serious about important things. Every year NYSC members are posted to work in my office and I have observed that nearly all of them are not interested in doing any work. All they focused on is pleasure, money, travelling, pinking on BB and noise making. Can you employ people like this in your firm.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by CHIMSKY(m): 6:15am On Jul 30, 2012
Fellow Nigerians,please let us stop clutching at straws and trying to defend what is obviously wrong.Let us accept the fact.I see people trying to defend the fact that graduates are making very basic grammatical and spelling errors.Things have gone from bad to worse.I remember reading some letters written by my late grandfather who died over 20 years ago.They were flawless sndquite impressive for someone whose highest qualification was a primary 7 school leaving certificate.I also know that I and several of my classmates could compose standard essays when we were still in form 4 in secondary school.
So if today,a graduate says he can not construct simple English because he is an Engineering/Science graduate,I want to ask,in what language did they get their degree and what language do they think will be used to communicate in the workplace?
I remember trying to correct a girl who was typing in short form on facebook.I told her this short thing would damage her English.She asked me not to bother her ad it was the " in thing"
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by seguneze: 6:16am On Jul 30, 2012
U people should stop sounding as if our graduates are il-educated,we still have so many graduates that knows there onions.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by antitpiah: 6:19am On Jul 30, 2012
seguneze: U people should stop sounding as if our graduates are il-educated,we still have so many graduates that knows there onions.

Minus you, though. . . will you agree with me?
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by sansom1(m): 6:42am On Jul 30, 2012
Too bad to hear dis.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by member479760: 6:48am On Jul 30, 2012
acidtalk: It is so sad how our educational system has deteriorated. A friend invited me to come and help him with the test given to applicants for various positions in his company.
The whole vacant positions were for B.Sc Holders in different fields like Engineering, Business Administration, Economics, Geology and so many others.

A total of 67 people were present for the test and believe it or not, only 3 people actually knew the difference between the below words.

Thought - Taught
Mood - Mode
Sight - Site
Course - Curse
Suit - Suite
Fill - Feel
Hear - Ear
Browse - Surf
Rain - Reign

More than Half of them kept on typing in short forms thinking they were chatting with their Blackberry or Facebook friends.

How bad will things like this keep happening amongst our so called educated youths and graduates especially?

Although, the OP dey yourb but the fact is the fact. if the engineering departments are to put lot of effort on grammar then something is wrong.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 30, 2012
later people will be whining about man know man

i was at a dinner with a big oga in my company and he said clearly that we would face this exact problem in the future - a dwindling pool of competent talent to hire at entry level

can you imagine employing some of the people on this thread?

it will be one excuse after another and you will run mad re editing their reports, memos etal

when you get rid of them they will be whining it is bad belle
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by damas11111(m): 6:57am On Jul 30, 2012
seguneze: U people should stop sounding as if our graduates are il-educated,we still have so many [b]graduates that knows [/b]there onions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go again! It is ".... graduates that know". Not surprised at the level our educational system has sunk to. I've witnessed worse situations!
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 30, 2012
Dose questions are not "primary school questions" my frend. they're "senior secondry school questions".
Dat asyde, it is shamefull that an adult who clems to have duly attainded and parsed true a univercity would fail a simple test like that.
I geuss these "dull" job sickers are grajwates of state owned univercities like Ambrose Ali Univercity "of" Ekpoma, RSUST, ESUT, LASU et al. Were students commonly use "machine hiring", "sorting", "expo" to pas egzams.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 30, 2012
logica: The funny thing is, I noticed that even Americans (confirm on facebook, blackplanet, etc) usually write "I would of" rather than "I would have". They can't tell the difference between "of" and "have".

I can tell you that there is no such thing as "I would of". The phrase makes no sense to me and anyone who insists its usage is right ought to stripped of his/her primary, secondary and tertiary certificates. I have strong background in British/Nigerian and American english.

I remember working in acting capacity for my Dad when he was sick 2yrs ago in Lagos. I had drafted a letter to be typed out and sent to a client- an American company- and had asked the manager to pass it on to the secretary to have it typed out. To my surprise, the manager edited my letter, removed all American spelled words and replaced them with British spelled words. Words like: Color in American for Colour in British; Realize in American for realise in British, Aluminum in American for Aluminium in British, and many others. Hmmm! I was keenly curious when the secretary brought it to me for approval and signature. I told her: This wasn't what I drafted; what happened to my draft? She went on a long litany of how the manager told her I couldn't spell and had been in America enjoying instead of studying, lol! I was pretty shocked and rather found it funny. Here I am, a graduate of American top 10 best schools with degree in Civil engineering and masters degrees in chemical, Nuclear engineering and National Intelligence & Strategic studies, and this manager with an HND would smugly make such a comment. Well, I took on my usual calm and collected persona, called him into my office and asked him: You are aware I took a month off from CHEVRON to be here until my Dad recovers? He said yes sir. Okay; this clears out the insinuation I was enjoying in America or sort of a SPOILED CHILD because Some Nigerians could be funny and invariably nescient. Second, I asked him: Why did you edit my draft? He said: he thought that the words were misspelled. I asked: How did you know? He said he has a strong background in english. "Hmmm!" I said to myself and chuckled. I then asked: do you understand the difference between American English and British/Nigerian English? He said no. Then Why in the hell would you correct my draft; a draft that I was consciously writing to an American client( family friend also, and knows I went to Ivy League Universities in the U.S and would be foolish of to write him in British English)? This guy kept insisting that my spellings were wrong and that his were correct. I told him there is nothing wrong with your spellings but your problem is IGNORANCE COMPLEMENTED WITH ARROGANCE. Obviously he doesn't know that American English existed. I ended up terminating him for speaking ill of me and his sheer arrogance. I later figured out that the arrogance was because I was 26 then and he was 55 and felt he knew better. Isn't that something?
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by yommy2sure(m): 7:08am On Jul 30, 2012
Damn! This thread is so judgemental...better check and recheck before you post else, your certificates and the schools you got them from are not just gonna be questioned but insulted. More...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lagos Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2012 / World Bank Is Currently Recruiting Young Nigerians (see Link And Apply) / FG Approves 15,000 NDLEA Recruitments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.