Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,004 members, 7,828,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate (9174 Views)

Buhari Criticism Complains: Are Critics Guilty Of Hate? / Charles Novia, Foluke Daramola In War Of Words Over Jonathan, Buhari / 2015 Election Not War But Contest Among Brothers, Sisters — Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 8:42am On Jul 31, 2012
akthedream: Here is the answer to how the early christains did their crusade and
with proof to as you have demanded..
“Now therefore, kill
every male among the
little ones, and kill every
woman who has known
man intimately. But all the
girls who have not known
man intimately, spare for
yourselves.” (Numbers
31:17-18)
“Then Abishai the son of
Zeruiah said to the king,
“Why should this dead
dog curse my lord the
king? Let me go over and
take off his head.”…
And there is also with you
Shimei the son of Gera,
the Benjaminite from
Bahurim, who cursed me
with a grievous curse on
the day when I went to
Mahanaim; but when he
came down to meet me at
the Jordan, I swore to him
by the LORD, saying, I will
not put you to death with
the sword.’ Now
therefore hold him not
guiltless, for you are a
wise man; you will know
what you ought to do to
him, and you shall bring
his gray head down with
blood to Sheol.” (2
Samuel 16:9, 1 Kings 2:cool
” When they came into
the house, as he lay on his
bed in his bedchamber,
they smote him, and slew
him, and beheaded him.
They took his head, and
went by the way of the
Arabah all night, and
brought the head of
Ishbosheth to David at
Hebron. And they said to
the king, “Here is the
head of Ishbosheth, the
son of Saul, your enemy,
who sought your life; the
LORD has avenged my lord
the king this day on Saul
and on his offspring.” (2
Samuel 4:7)
“That is not true. But a
man of the hill country of
Ephraim, called Sheba the
son of Bichri, has lifted up
his hand against King
David; give up him alone,
and I will withdraw from
the city.” And the
woman said to Joab,
“Behold, his head shall
be thrown to you over
the wall.” Then the
woman went to all the
people in her wisdom. And
they cut off the head of
Sheba the son of Bichri,
and threw it out to
Joab.” (2 Samuel 20:21)
“at Jezreel by this time
tommorrow…And when
the letter came to them,
they took the king’s
sons, and slew them,
seventy persons, and put
their heads in baskets,
and sent them to him at
Jezreel. When the
messenger came and told
him, “They have brought
the heads of the king’s
sons,” he said, “Lay
them in two heaps at the
entrance of the gate until
the morning.”. (2 Kings
Chapter 10 verse 6)
“God has now fulfilled
the prophecy of the
prophet Elijah. So Jehu
put to death all who were
left of the house of Ahab
in Jezreel, as well as all of
his close friends and
priests, until he had left
not one single
survivor.” (2 Kings
Chapter 10 verse 10)
“He put to death all of
Ahab’s house, who
were left there and so
blotted it out, in
fulfillment of the word
which YAHWEH had
spoken to Elijah.” (2
Kings Chapter 10 verse 7)
“When the LORD your
God brings you into the
land where you are
entering to possess it,
and clears away many
nations before you, the
Hittites and the
Girgashites and the
Amorites and the
Canaanites and the
Perizzites and the Hivites
and the Jebusites, seven
nations greater and
stronger than you. And
when the LORD your God
delivers them before you
and you defeat them,
then you shall utterly
destroy them. You shall
make no covenant with
them and show no favor
to them.” (Deuteronomy
7:1-2)

Sorry, you least understand the scriptures you quote. That message was NOT FOR CHRISTIANS but for JEWS(JUDAISM). Christianity started after Jesus accended to heaven! In short Jesus Christ told them they have been told an eye for an eye but that now He has brought a new commandment that doesnt allow them to revenge but rather forgive!

READ: Matthew 5:38-48; (This is CHRISTIANITY, words from the Mouth of Jesus Christ)

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

2 Likes

Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 8:55am On Jul 31, 2012
grafikii: Even Jesus supported jihad
Luke 19:27
King James Version (KJV)
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring them to me, and slay them before me.

Christians trying to score cheap points over Islam, go and read your bible

Hahaha, you are SO WRONG!!! That was a parable of what will happen during the second coming of Jesus. Its the judgement my friend.

Read it from verse 11 here -->
.11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin:21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds.25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

AND THEN READ THIS (what He told us to do in this life)

READ: Matthew 5:38-48; (This is CHRISTIANITY, words from the Mouth of Jesus Christ)

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by aribisala0(m): 8:57am On Jul 31, 2012
If you can selectively choose which verses you want so can moslems the truth is both have murderous doctrines and try to deceive African,In that same bible we are told Numbers 23'19
This same God that killed a man who sold his property and brought the proceeds to him.Killed him because he kept some for himself.What a greedy god.Who is the same as Allah inspiring Boko Haram
God is not a man that he should change his mind.The argument christian are putting forward is that once Jehovah was evil and now he has changed his ways,Makes sense to you but leaves Ogun worshippers like me scratching our heads
Hmm
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 9:00am On Jul 31, 2012
manny4life:

Leave the fo.ols so they can have their day. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Its not nice a Christian calls others f.o.o.ls it makes you sound like the JIHADISTS! We are different!!! Read this:

..Matthew 5:22 (KJV)
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 9:05am On Jul 31, 2012
aribisala0: If you can selectively choose which verses you want so can moslems the truth is both have murderous doctrines and try to deceive African,In that same bible we are told Numbers 23'19
God is not a man that he should change his mind.The argument christian are putting forward is that once Jehovah was evil and now he has changed his ways,Makes sense to you but leaves Ogun worshippers like me scratching our heads
Hmm

God has not changed. In the old times, success was in CONQUERING territories, everywhere in the entire world, thats why you have all those empires then. But humanity has evolved and SUCCESS is different now! The old testament days, to be succesful, you have to defeat all your percieved enemies PHYSICALLY!! Most religions have evolved but Islam. Mind you Christianity is not even a religion (we dont have enough time to go into that here).
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 9:07am On Jul 31, 2012
aribisala0: If you can selectively choose which verses you want so can moslems the truth is both have murderous doctrines and try to deceive African,In that same bible we are told Numbers 23'19
Hmm

God has not changed. In the old times, success was in CONQUERIN.G territories, everywhere in the entire world, thats why you have all those empires then. But humanity has evolved and SUCCESS is different now! The old testament days, to be succesful, you have to defea.t all your percieved enemies PHYSICALLY!! Most reli.gions have evolved but I.slam. Mind you Christianity is not even a religion (we dont have enough time to go into that here).
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by bisoyeg(m): 9:37am On Jul 31, 2012
Am sick and tired of all these arguments,really let's look it through between the two figures of Christianity and Islam who would a right minded,sane and peace loving individual follow and emulate,should the all world act and behave like Mohammed or should the all world act and behave like Jesus I leave the answers to your imaginations
Please someone with a constructive mind should say to this
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by Tbash1(m): 9:54am On Jul 31, 2012
kunlexdino: Muslims can justify themselve with jihad. But the truth is that jihad is about violence. Why do we always have islamic militant everywhere in the world and not christain militant. Where is the peace in the religion. Violence world wide is always from islam people. Definitely, something is wrong. They should practise peace, forgive and righteousness as christain do. I mean the average muslims generally. I thank GOD i came a christain. Christlike people are peculiar people.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 10:13am On Jul 31, 2012
bisoyeg: Am sick and tired of all these arguments,really let's look it through between the two figures of Christianity and Islam who would a right minded,sane and peace loving individual follow and emulate,should the all world act and behave like Mohammed or should the all world act and behave like Jesus I leave the answers to your imaginations
Please someone with a constructive mind should say to this

Ephesians 5
1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by blackbeau1(f): 10:24am On Jul 31, 2012
really? cuz all i ever hear islamic militants are fighting one jihad war or the other and its not perculiar to nigeria alone but the whole world.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by siddiq202(m): 11:42am On Jul 31, 2012
siddiq202:
"Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors"
Qur'an 2:190

"God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers"
Qur'an 60 verse 8

"...whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely..."
Qur'an 5:32
@fr_evangel please explain those verses up there?
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by siddiq202(m): 11:42am On Jul 31, 2012
siddiq202:
"Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors"

"God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers"
Qur'an 60 verse 8

"...whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely..."
@fr_evangel please explain those verses up there
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by Rhymeyjohn: 11:58am On Jul 31, 2012
If every body in the world were to act like muhammad,hw would this earth look like? Or beta still if every1 were 2 act like Jesus christ,hw wud the earth look like? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by Dawdy(m): 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
this verse was revealed when the muslims gained the dominace of mecca, when they were able to take revenge on unbelievers.
[5:2] The Noble Quran O you who believe!
Violate not the sanctity
of the Symbols of Allah,
nor of the Sacred
Month, nor of the
animals brought for sacrifice, nor the
garlanded people or
animals, etc. [Marked
by the garlands on
their necks made from
the outer part of the tree-stems (of Makkah)
for their security], nor
the people coming to
the Sacred House
(Makkah), seeking the
bounty and good pleasure of their Lord.
But when you finish
the Ihram (of Hajj or
'Umrah), you may hunt,
and let not the hatred
of some people in (once) stopping you
from Al-Masjid-al-
Haram (at Makkah)
lead you to
transgression (and
hostility on your part). Help you one another
in Al-Birr and At-
Taqwa (virtue,
righteousness and
piety); but do not help
one another in sin and transgression. And fear
Allah. Verily, Allah is
Severe in punishment.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by Mrchippychappy(m): 12:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
In India the hindus fight with the Muslims
In China the muslims from the Ugur region fight with the buddhists / communists
In Nigeria the muslims are fighting every religion , just the other day i saw a story on the muslims fighting animists in Ogun state.
In the western world the muslims carry out terrorist attacks
In the middle east the muslims fight the Jews EVERYDAY .

Wow Islam is truly a "religion of peace". As a matter of fact islam is so peaceful that if you refuse the religion they would KILL you . That's how peaceful this cancer called islam is

1 Like

Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by aribisala0(m): 12:14pm On Jul 31, 2012
"The message was not for Christians but for Jews"
SO Jehovah gave the Jews a false message and saved the original for Christians?? This Jehovah self
Anyway Jehovah and Allah they are the same blood thirsty character. Imagine killing your own son then you send another prophet to disown him as your son.After impregnating another man's wife
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2012
siddiq202: you guys might want to consider these verses of the holy Qur'an before typing trash

Qur'an 60 verse 8

siddiq202:
@fr_evangel please explain those verses up there

The scriptures you mentioned GIVES THE CODITION FOR VIOLENCE! IT DOESNT SAY THERE SHOULD BE NO VIOLENCE!
Qur'an 2:190 - Says you should FIGHT those who FIGHT you. All you need to do is label them transgressors(infidels) and you are good to go!

Qur'an 60 verse 8 - You can deal justice to those who deal justice to you. Only to those who have not FOUGHT YOU about your religion and have not driven you out of your homes. Hmmm.

Qur'an 5:32 - You can kill a soul for these reasons: (a) one who has killed too (a murderer). (b) for corruption [cor·rup·tion/kəˈrəpSHən/Noun: 1.Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.
2.The action of making someone or something morally depraved or the state of being so.]

If this is all you have to give @soddiq202 then Boko Haram and othe world Islamic Terrorist Groups have a good support from the Quran. I watched a debate sometime back when some Uk Islamic radicals argued that those who say Islam is a religion of peace are weak Muslims. These scriptures doesnt say there should be NO VIOLENCE but WHERE THE VIOLENCE SHOULD BE DIRECTED!!

COMPARE THE WORDS OF JESUS CHRIST:
Matthew 5;37-47

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

AND Luke 6: 27-36;

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by Dawdy(m): 1:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
fr_evangel:

The scriptures you mentioned GIVES THE CODITION FOR VIOLENCE! IT DOESNT SAY THERE SHOULD BE NO VIOLENCE!
Qur'an 2:190 - Says you should FIGHT those who FIGHT you. All you need to do is label them transgressors(infidels) and you are good to go!

Qur'an 60 verse 8 - You can deal justice to those who deal justice to you. Only to those who have not FOUGHT YOU about your religion and have not driven you out of your homes. Hmmm.

Qur'an 5:32 - You can kill a soul for these reasons: (a) one who has killed too (a murderer). (b) for corruption [cor·rup·tion/kəˈrəpSHən/Noun: 1.Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.
2.The action of making someone or something morally depraved or the state of being so.]

If this is all you have to give @soddiq202 then Boko Haram and othe world Islamic Terrorist Groups have a good support from the Quran. I watched a debate sometime back when some Uk Islamic radicals argued that those who say Islam is a religion of peace are weak Muslims. These scriptures doesnt say there should be NO VIOLENCE but WHERE THE VIOLENCE SHOULD BE DIRECTED!!

COMPARE THE WORDS OF JESUS CHRIST:
Matthew 5;37-47

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

AND Luke 6: 27-36;

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful

This is how Allah asks us to treat our enemies, Allah Almighty in the Noble Qur'an commands us in several places to return the evil that is done to us by others to not only with good, but with best! "Repel evil with that which is best: We are well-acquainted with the things they say." (23:96) "Nor can goodness and evil be equal. Repel (evil) with that is better: Then will he between whom and you was hatred become as it were your friend and intimate!"(41:34) "Twice will they be given their reward, for that they have persevered, that they avert evil with good , and that they spend (in charity) out of what We have given them." (28:54) Allah (swt) also says in Noble Verse 42:40 "The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah: for (Allah) Loves not those who do wrong."
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 1:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
aribisala0: "The message was not for Christians but for Jews"
SO Jehovah gave the Jews a false message and saved the original for Christians?? This Jehovah self
Anyway Jehovah and Allah they are the same blood thirsty character. Imagine killing your own son then you send another prophet to disown him as your son.After impregnating another man's wife

No, you decided to pick that out of the full comment. Jesus Himself lets us know he came to abolish the law and fulfil God's plan for mankind.
Plus that, If you are talking about my post then I did mention that in those days it was Physical Might that matters. To be rated a successful nation, you had to DESTROY your enemies physically! In short the Pharisees thought Jesus Christ was coming to defeat the Roman empire and deliver them from their rule. They didnt know He was on a "Spiritual mission".
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by Dawdy(m): 1:11pm On Jul 31, 2012
fr_evangel:

No, you decided to pick that out of the full comment. Jesus Himself lets us know he came to abolish the law and fulfil God's plan for mankind.
Plus that, If you are talking about my post then I did mention that in those days it was Physical Might that matters. To be rated a successful nation, you had to DESTROY your enemies physically! In short the Pharisees thought Jesus Christ was coming to defeat the Roman empire and deliver them from their rule. They didnt know He was on a "Spiritual mission".
ure liying here is what Jesus says in matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by fumisko(f): 1:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
salaksmana:

http://www.punchng.com/news/jihad-not-war-of-hate-aregbesola
Mr whatever he is called why don't you tell it to boko haram or shut up because all you are saying is shittt. It hasn't stopped them has it? So it's better you all plus their GEJ starts shutting up
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by manny4life(m): 1:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
fr_evangel:

Its not nice a Christian calls others f.o.o.ls it makes you sound like the JIHADISTS! We are different!!! Read this:

..Matthew 5:22 (KJV)
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

St.Peter, I see since the day you were born or should I say since the day you gave your life to GOD or became Christian, you haven't insulted or perhaps committed sin... I guess if you search within yourself, and you have at least murmured (remember the chapter that talks about murmuring is as a sin of witchcraft), I guess that makes you also a Jihadist?

Biko, leave me alone and thank you for your gospel, but trying to associate and equate me as a Jihadist because I insulted someone is uncalled for and I'll let you slide on that one. He who says he has no sin in him should cast the first stone, I'll leave you to it but watch your tongue please. cool cool cool
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by siddiq202(m): 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
I asked you to explain those verses so that you can display your ignorance. you no NOTHING about Islam. I won't waste my precious time on you but I got this tell you...read the tafsir of those verses of the Qur'an you earlier quoted to know why those verses were revealed to the Holy Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon Him).
fr_evangel:
If this is all you have to give @soddiq202 then Boko Haram and othe world Islamic Terrorist Groups have a good support from the Quran.
and if you claim that Terrorists have support from the Qur'an based on those verses I asked you to explain then I'm afraid I have to advice you to consult an English Teacher to explain those simple grammar used.

I watched a debate sometime back when some Uk Islamic radicals argued that those who say Islam is a religion of peace are weak Muslims.
you are a typical "follow-follow" Christian that base everything concerning his religion on what his scholars say irrespective of the religion views. WHAT A SHAME?!!! you don't need me to remind you bad things that top Nigerian Pastors have done/said, do you?
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 2:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
manny4life:

St.Peter, I see since the day you were born or should I say since the day you gave your life to GOD or became Christian, you haven't insulted or perhaps committed sin... I guess if you search within yourself, and you have at least murmured (remember the chapter that talks about murmuring is as a sin of witchcraft), I guess that makes you also a Jihadist?

Biko, leave me alone and thank you for your gospel, but trying to associate and equate me as a Jihadist because I insulted someone is uncalled for and I'll let you slide on that one. He who says he has no sin in him should cast the first stone, I'll leave you to it but watch your tongue please. cool cool cool

I never said I havent sinned, I would be a liar to say so. 1 John 1:7-9; Anyway, I wasnt saying I am holier. As iron sharpenth iron so a man the contenance of his friend - if it means anything to you.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by shadan22: 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
Mr aregbesola, you know and we also understand that all this act are done with the intent to destroyed the north and course disunity between majority Moslem north and the minority Christine,for reasons best non to the actors. from the trend of event that are happening, one will come to understand that most of the attack being carried out are not done by the Moslem but some people who hide under the name of Islam to attack innocent citizens simply because Islam mention Al-jihad are killing people and allege that Moslem are responsible for it. there is no problem with time Allah will vindicate the Moslem's and Islam. Lastly let me remind the actors that 'Man rejoices at the days that he spends....but everyday that goes take him closer to his end. A reminder to all. There is no day that has it's daybreak begin except that it cries: Oh son of Adam! I am a new creature and a witness over your deeds, take provision from me for if i go away i shall not return until the day of resurrection.'' Oh son of Adam, you a just a number of days; whenever a day goes a part of you is gone. Very soon, the whole(of you) shall go away with the passing away of the (remaining) part.''
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by shadan22: 2:58pm On Jul 31, 2012
Mr aregbesola, you know and we also understand that all this act are done with the intent to destroyed the north and course disunity between majority Moslem north and the minority Christine,for reasons best non to the actors. from the trend of event that are happening, one will come to understand that most of the attack being carried out are not done by the Moslem but some people who hide under the name of Islam to attack innocent citizens simply because Islam mention Al-jihad are killing people and allege that Moslem are responsible for it. there is no problem with time Allah will vindicate the Moslem's and Islam. Lastly let me remind the actors that 'Man rejoices at the days that he spends....but everyday that goes take him closer to his end. A reminder to all. There is no day that has it's daybreak begin except that it cries: Oh son of Adam! I am a new creature and a witness over your deeds, take provision from me for if i go away i shall not return until the day of resurrection.'' Oh son of Adam, you a just a number of days; whenever a day goes a part of you is gone. Very soon, the whole(of you) shall go away with the passing away of the (remaining) part.''
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 3:09pm On Jul 31, 2012
Dawdy:
ure liying here is what Jesus says in matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Ah! Here you go stumbling on another scripture picked out of context.

READ THESE:

Matthew 22
34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.38 This is the first and great commandment.39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

1 John 4
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us
20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

1 Thessalonians 3
12 And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.

Luke 6
27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful

John 13
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law

When I said Jesus came to abolish the law, I meant to fulfil the
PURPOSE
of the law! But you have to understand when Jesus spoke to the Jews it was different when He spoke to the gentiles. God had convenant with the Jews already when Jesus Christ came. Jesus Christ came to establish A NEW CONVENANT with the JEWS and GENTILES(REST OF THE WORLD).

Now, there is a deeper part of that scripture. To the Jews, Jesus Christ came to FULFIL the law but to the rest of us, He came to SET ASIDE the law for it was the law that separated us from the CONVENANT. We could not partake in the blessing except the 'wall' is broken down.

Ephesians 2
1. And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by shadan22: 3:17pm On Jul 31, 2012
kunlexdino: Muslims can justify themselve with jihad. But the truth is that jihad is about violence. Why do we always have islamic militant everywhere in the world and not christain militant. Where is the peace in the religion. Violence world wide is always from islam people. Definitely, something is wrong. They should practise peace, forgive and righteousness as christain do. I mean the average muslims generally. I thank GOD i came a christain. Christlike people are peculiar people.
please read this it will help you.
Church Resources and Organisation

Christianity was launched without any definitive social principles, laws or system for .running affairs. This deficiency long prevented Christian spiritual leadership from interfering in social, political or governmental matters. So it continued until the sixth century of the Christian era. On Christmas Day AD 800 the king of the Franks was crowned "Caesar" and transferred some of his territory to the overlordship of the Pope. With this began the epoch of Christian leadership's supremacy and glory. The Church grew in power and wealth. Conflicts over the control of power arose between political and religious leaders. Europe fell prey to the oppressive wars of Popes and Emperors.

People who regarded the Church as the manifestation of the spirituality of Christ were stubborn partisans of the clergy. and by their help the Church's temporal power and influence increased daily until its unrivalled hegemony was fastened upon the nations of Europe. In early days, before deep rifts split Christianity, each Christian city had its " Bishop" ; and groups of neighbouring cities were jointly administered by an "Archbishop" or "Patriarch". The Bishop of Rome gradually came to assume supreme authority as Pope (which means "papa" of all Christians). He interfered in all religious matters, including the appointment and dismissal of Bishops and Archbishops. Finally this became too much for the "metropolitan patriarchs" of Constantiyya (i.e. Byzantium, Constantinople, Stambul), and they decided to withdraw from Papal jurisdiction and set up a separate domain of their own, in recognition of the fact that the imperial capital of the Empire had been moved from Rome to Stambul. After a series of violent clashes between the Pope and Stambul Patriarchs, final separation occurred in AD 1052. Christianity split into two camps. Eastern Europe was subject to the Constantiniyya clergy, self-styled "Orthodox". Western Europe from Poland to Spain remained obedient to the Pope as self-styled "Catholics" These two religious bodies followed different rites and hurled charges of heresy at each other.

In the early 16th century a third body formed itself in Europe, initiated by Luther and styled "Protestant" Luther and his followers started by opposing the Pope's habit of selling sites in heaven together with "indulgences" remitting sins : and went on to attempt to reform the whole Church and purge it of errors and corruptions. They only succeeded in creating another split in the unity and simplicity of Christ's religion: the huge number of people who followed Luther in rejecting papal authority and sacerdotal dogma became a third sect including most of northern Europe.

The Pope's absolute power in Catholic Europe of the 12th and 13th centuries provoked its inevitable reaction. A number of heretical movements arose promoting doctrines condemned by the Papal Office. So great became the anxiety of the Pope and of the Catholic party about these insurrectionary movements that in 1215 AD the Pope set up the "Inquisition" to combat and eradicate such heresies. The Inquisition had branches in every city of France, Italy Germany, Poland, Spain and other Christian lands. Persons accused of heresy were hauled up before the inquisitors, and, if condemned, suffered severe penalties.

This institution used its excessive powers in such a way as to suppress all freedom of thought. Anyone suspected of ideas and opinions regarded as contrary to those held by the Church was subjected to hellish tortures. These courts even sometimes passed sentence for heresy on the dead, ordering the disinterment of their coffins - a process described by Will Durant in his "History of Civilisation" (vol. 18, p.35) thus : "The 'Court for the Inspection of Ideas, Laws and Religion' had a legal procedure all its own. Before a local assizes of the Court was held, the 'Faith-act' (Auto da Fé) was read from all Church pulpits, demanding that information be laid against anyone suspected of atheism, irreligion or heresy. and that such persons be haled before the Court of Inspection. Neighbours, friends and relatives were encouraged to turn informer Informers were promised complete secrecy and protection. Anyone who harboured an atheist, or failed to denounce him, was himself incarcerated, and threatened with the church's excommunication, curse and ban. Sometimes the dead were charged with atheism and blasphemy. Special ceremonies were employed for their judicial condemnation. Their property was confiscated : their heirs were stripped of their inheritance. From 30 to 50% of the property of a deceased person who was condemned were given to the successful accuser. Trial by ordeal assumed different forms in different times and places. Sometimes the accused man's arms were bound behind his back and he was suspended from them. Sometimes he was so bound that he could make no movements and then water was poured down his throat so that he died of suffocation. Sometimes ropes were tied so tight round arms and legs that they cut through flesh to the bone."

So powerful did the Christian hierarchy become in Europe that no fewer than ten kings and political leaders of Germany and France were excommunicated by Popes. Some great landed proprietors lost all. Some were compelled to do public penance. Thus in AD 1075 Pope Gregory VII excommunicated the Emperor of Germany, Henry IV, for disregarding a Papal Firman, and told him that he must give up his throne. Henry promptly donned penitent's garb and hurried to the Papal Court, where the Pope kept him waiting three days before receiving him, accepting his repentance and granting him absolution.
In 1141 Pope Innocent II excommunicated Louis VII. In 1205 Pope Innocent II excommunicated King John of England for attacking certain bishops.

Finally John felt compelled to send a message to the Pope saying: "An angelic messenger bade me supplicate Jesus and His Apostle, our benefactor Pope Innocent, and his catholic successors, on behalf of England and Ireland. From henceforth we hold these kingdoms as Viceroy of the Pope and the hierarchy and have commanded that the sum of £1,000 English be paid to the Roman ecclesiastical coffers annually, in half-yearly instalments of £500 each, in silver. Should 1 or any of my successors on the English throne transgress against the purport of this decree, we forfeit right to the English sovereignty." (Marcel Cache "Social History," Vol. II). The same author (Vol. II, p.123) writes: "During this period 5,000,000 people were punished for offences against orthodox thought, or contravention of a papal decree. They were hanged on the gallows; or left in the pitchy dark of well-like dungeons. In the 18 years, 1481-99, the Inquisition burnt 1,020 people alive, sawed 6,860 asunder, tortured 97,023 to death."

Victor Hugo wrote : "The real history of the Church will be read not on the pages but between the lines, of the official annals. The Church caused Parnili to be whipped within an inch of his life for declaring that 'stars do not fall from their appointed paths.' The Church cast Complained into prison 27 times for claiming that innumerable other worlds besides earth exist. The Church tortured Harvey for the crime of proving that the blood circulates through the arteries and veins of the body. The Church incarcerated Galileo for claiming that the earth orbits round the sun, in contradiction of theories put forward in the Old and New Testaments. The Church imprisoned Christopher Columbus for discovering a land not mentioned by St. Paul. They claimed that it was sacrilege to discover laws of the heavenly bodies, or the orbit of the earth, or an unforeseen continent not foretold in scripture. The Church excommunicated Pascal and Montey for immorality, and Muller for sacrilege and immorality." ("History of Free Thought", p.147).
The Church also exercised her power against Islam. On the pretext of treeing Jerusalem, she launched campaigns of bloodshed and atrocity in what she called "Wars for the Cross" or "Crusades", during the years 1095 to 1270.

Although the prime cause of these wars was the hatred and jealousy of Islam nursed by the Pope and the hierarchy, they stirred up the common people to enlist by false promises of loot and by ingenious calumny against the Muslims. Pope Urban II called a congress of clergy and religious leaders to decree a war against Muslims : at which the Pope ordered all bishops and clergy to enlist men for the battle against the Muslims, and himself led the recruiting campaign in France.

So vast was the first army that started out for Jerusalem that it seemed as if all Europe were afoot toward Asia. Some say there were as many as a million men on the march. En route these plundered, burned, mutilated and drowned the local citizens. They slew soldiers and civilians alike, women and children included. When they finally took Jerusalem in 1099, three years after the start, only 20,000 survived out of the original million. Civil wars and pestilence followed this "Christian" sacrifice of myriads of their own and of other nationals.

In the words of Gustave Le Bon ("La Civilisation lslamique et Arabe" p.407): "The atrocities committed by the Crusaders against friends and foes, against soldiers and innocent peasants, against women and children, against old and young, give them top place in the annals of savagery. One of their number, Robert the Monk, wrote : 'Our army raged through alleys and piazzas and over the flat roofs of adjoining houses like a mother lion robbed of her whelps, rampaging, tearing children to shreds in savage delight. We put old and young to the sword.

To speed up the work we used one rope's loop to hang many people together. Soldiers stole anything that came to hand, even ripping open the bowels of corpses in their search for jewels or coins. Whatever they found they pocketed. Finally, Bohemond assembled all the survivors men and women, maimed and helpless, together - in the castle, and butchered them all, saving only the young for sale in the Antioch slavemarket.' And Godfrey Hardouinville reported to the Pope: 'In Jerusalem Muslims who fell into our hands were slain by our people in Solomon's porch until the temple precincts flowed knee-high with blood'."

The Inquisition's torture of the learned and thinking class of its day roused an inevitable reaction against the Church. Independent-minded scientists pushed on with their work, despite severe censorship, until Church bigotry was compelled to beat a retreat and leave the road open for enlightened study and investigation. But by now scientists had come to regard all religion as the partisan of superstition, of ignorance, and of the suppression of science and erudition. The atrocities of the Crusades and barbarities of the Inquisition aroused abhorrence and suspicion in the popular mind against every form of religion.

In Russia, too, the Church's neglect of the poor and destitute, and patronage of the rich, roused a reaction which aided the rise of the communist movement, and caused its leaders to declare war on religion, stigmatising the religious as "capitalist lackeys and exploiters of the working class," and declaring that it was only "by obliterating the myth of God from the mind of man" that the revolution of liberty, equality and fraternity could be realised.

Ferdof, in his book "Religion in the U.S.S.R." (p.7), writes: "In Czarist Russia the Church owned vast properties in lands, buildings and furnishings, with millions of roubles in gold in the banks. She drew an income from forests, pastures, fisheries, commerce, industry and much else. In fact, the Church was the biggest capitalist of all, the biggest landowner, the biggest banker of Russia. She mercilessly exploited merchants, small and large. She made no attempt to improve industrial working conditions. So great was the hatred this conduct aroused amongst working and shopkeeping classes that the clergy were called .wolves in priests' clothing'."

Christianity, in its day the preserver of ancient manners and customs, the conservative reactionary, has today learned to strengthen its own foundations by adding to its brilliant historic past all that science and culture has to offer to modern genius.
The Catholic Church alone wields 4,000 propaganda organs spread all over the globe. Their budget enables them to extend their efforts at conversion to darkest Congo, to remotest Tibet and to the most primitive tribes of Australia.

The annual budget of the Church of England is well over 900,000,000 tomans.
Such figures, when compared with the pittance at Islam's disposal, pain the heart.

The Gospel has been translated into more than 1,000 languages. In 1973 the American "Society for the Publication and Distribution of the Gospel put out 24 million copies.

The Vatican publishes its own newspaper "L'Osservatore Romano" with a daily circulation of 300,000. It produces some 50 monthly periodicals with a total circulation of several millions per month. It runs 32,000 primary schools, universities and hospitals. Four powerful agencies despatch missionaries to the other continents.
Christianity employs three methods of propaganda:

1. translation of the books of the New Testament;
2. erection of churches and places of worship;
3. despatch of missionaries to all parts of the world.

Protestant sects likewise exert remarkable efforts at spreading their faith. "The Reader's Digest" wrote: "The revolutionary foundation of the Protestant Church of America was a revolt against efforts in Europe to renew the exaction of the 'tithe' which has been the Church's ancient right. Yet from 1950 on, the movement of 'stewardship' has been taken up increasingly so that many congregations have doubled or trebled their contributions, and thus made possible hundreds of new church buildings, and the reinforcement of missions at home and abroad. Most important, congregations and their members have realised the joyful results and unexpected rewards of the revival of this ancient custom."
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by elroofey(m): 3:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
u ar a donkey wat of israel an palastine war HAVE U EVA HAD MECCA ON WAR WIT SOMOBODY
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 3:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
siddiq202: I asked you to explain those verses so that you can display your ignorance. you no NOTHING about Islam. I won't waste my precious time on you but I got this tell you...read the tafsir of those verses of the Qur'an you earlier quoted to know why those verses were revealed to the Holy Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon Him).

and if you claim that Terrorists have support from the Qur'an based on those verses I asked you to explain then I'm afraid I have to advice you to consult an English Teacher to explain those simple grammar used.

you are a typical "follow-follow" Christian that base everything concerning his religion on what his scholars say irrespective of the religion views. WHAT A SHAME?!!! you don't need me to remind you bad things that top Nigerian Pastors have done/said, do you?

Firstly, you realised you havent studied those scriptures hence would rather not talk about it. The debate I watched was a Muslim programme in the UK. I DONT FOLLOW SCHOLARS!!! I read the Bible, and I have read some part of the Quran and other religious books too with a lot about their hsitory. Many years back I used to visit some friends in an Islamic boarding school just behind my street and we would 'argue'. This made me read some history of Islam and sections of the Quran.
Secondly, I didnt tell you there are no false pastors or preachers. Infact the Bible tells of an increase in falsehood among Christian leaders in the last days, which we are in. They are called false prophets and teachers! but they are there to merchandize believers and make personal gains. ITS ALL IN THE BIBLE! THE BIBLE IS SO SIMPE AND PLAIN THAT YOU MOST LIKELY WOULD NEED A SCHOLAR TO HELP MISUNDERSTAND IT!!!
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by frevangel(m): 4:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
shadan22: please read this it will help you.
Church Resources and Organisation

Christianity was launched without any definitive social principles, laws or system for .running affairs. This deficiency long prevented Christian spiritual leadership from interfering in social, political or governmental matters. So it continued until the sixth century of the Christian era. On Christmas Day AD 800 the king of the Franks was crowned "Caesar" and transferred some of his territory to the overlordship of the Pope. With this began the epoch of Christian leadership's supremacy and glory. The Church grew in power and wealth. Conflicts over the control of power arose between political and religious leaders. Europe fell prey to the oppressive wars of Popes and Emperors.

People who regarded the Church as the manifestation of the spirituality of Christ were stubborn partisans of the clergy. and by their help the Church's temporal power and influence increased daily until its unrivalled hegemony was fastened upon the nations of Europe. In early days, before deep rifts split Christianity, each Christian city had its " Bishop" ; and groups of neighbouring cities were jointly administered by an "Archbishop" or "Patriarch". The Bishop of Rome gradually came to assume supreme authority as Pope (which means "papa" of all Christians). He interfered in all religious matters, including the appointment and dismissal of Bishops and Archbishops. Finally this became too much for the "metropolitan patriarchs" of Constantiyya (i.e. Byzantium, Constantinople, Stambul), and they decided to withdraw from Papal jurisdiction and set up a separate domain of their own, in recognition of the fact that the imperial capital of the Empire had been moved from Rome to Stambul. After a series of violent clashes between the Pope and Stambul Patriarchs, final separation occurred in AD 1052. Christianity split into two camps. Eastern Europe was subject to the Constantiniyya clergy, self-styled "Orthodox". Western Europe from Poland to Spain remained obedient to the Pope as self-styled "Catholics" These two religious bodies followed different rites and hurled charges of heresy at each other.

In the early 16th century a third body formed itself in Europe, initiated by Luther and styled "Protestant" Luther and his followers started by opposing the Pope's habit of selling sites in heaven together with "indulgences" remitting sins : and went on to attempt to reform the whole Church and purge it of errors and corruptions. They only succeeded in creating another split in the unity and simplicity of Christ's religion: the huge number of people who followed Luther in rejecting papal authority and sacerdotal dogma became a third sect including most of northern Europe.

The Pope's absolute power in Catholic Europe of the 12th and 13th centuries provoked its inevitable reaction. A number of heretical movements arose promoting doctrines condemned by the Papal Office. So great became the anxiety of the Pope and of the Catholic party about these insurrectionary movements that in 1215 AD the Pope set up the "Inquisition" to combat and eradicate such heresies. The Inquisition had branches in every city of France, Italy Germany, Poland, Spain and other Christian lands. Persons accused of heresy were hauled up before the inquisitors, and, if condemned, suffered severe penalties.

This institution used its excessive powers in such a way as to suppress all freedom of thought. Anyone suspected of ideas and opinions regarded as contrary to those held by the Church was subjected to hellish tortures. These courts even sometimes passed sentence for heresy on the dead, ordering the disinterment of their coffins - a process described by Will Durant in his "History of Civilisation" (vol. 18, p.35) thus : "The 'Court for the Inspection of Ideas, Laws and Religion' had a legal procedure all its own. Before a local assizes of the Court was held, the 'Faith-act' (Auto da Fé) was read from all Church pulpits, demanding that information be laid against anyone suspected of atheism, irreligion or heresy. and that such persons be haled before the Court of Inspection. Neighbours, friends and relatives were encouraged to turn informer Informers were promised complete secrecy and protection. Anyone who harboured an atheist, or failed to denounce him, was himself incarcerated, and threatened with the church's excommunication, curse and ban. Sometimes the dead were charged with atheism and blasphemy. Special ceremonies were employed for their judicial condemnation. Their property was confiscated : their heirs were stripped of their inheritance. From 30 to 50% of the property of a deceased person who was condemned were given to the successful accuser. Trial by ordeal assumed different forms in different times and places. Sometimes the accused man's arms were bound behind his back and he was suspended from them. Sometimes he was so bound that he could make no movements and then water was poured down his throat so that he died of suffocation. Sometimes ropes were tied so tight round arms and legs that they cut through flesh to the bone."

So powerful did the Christian hierarchy become in Europe that no fewer than ten kings and political leaders of Germany and France were excommunicated by Popes. Some great landed proprietors lost all. Some were compelled to do public penance. Thus in AD 1075 Pope Gregory VII excommunicated the Emperor of Germany, Henry IV, for disregarding a Papal Firman, and told him that he must give up his throne. Henry promptly donned penitent's garb and hurried to the Papal Court, where the Pope kept him waiting three days before receiving him, accepting his repentance and granting him absolution.
In 1141 Pope Innocent II excommunicated Louis VII. In 1205 Pope Innocent II excommunicated King John of England for attacking certain bishops.

Finally John felt compelled to send a message to the Pope saying: "An angelic messenger bade me supplicate Jesus and His Apostle, our benefactor Pope Innocent, and his catholic successors, on behalf of England and Ireland. From henceforth we hold these kingdoms as Viceroy of the Pope and the hierarchy and have commanded that the sum of £1,000 English be paid to the Roman ecclesiastical coffers annually, in half-yearly instalments of £500 each, in silver. Should 1 or any of my successors on the English throne transgress against the purport of this decree, we forfeit right to the English sovereignty." (Marcel Cache "Social History," Vol. II). The same author (Vol. II, p.123) writes: "During this period 5,000,000 people were punished for offences against orthodox thought, or contravention of a papal decree. They were hanged on the gallows; or left in the pitchy dark of well-like dungeons. In the 18 years, 1481-99, the Inquisition burnt 1,020 people alive, sawed 6,860 asunder, tortured 97,023 to death."

Victor Hugo wrote : "The real history of the Church will be read not on the pages but between the lines, of the official annals. The Church caused Parnili to be whipped within an inch of his life for declaring that 'stars do not fall from their appointed paths.' The Church cast Complained into prison 27 times for claiming that innumerable other worlds besides earth exist. The Church tortured Harvey for the crime of proving that the blood circulates through the arteries and veins of the body. The Church incarcerated Galileo for claiming that the earth orbits round the sun, in contradiction of theories put forward in the Old and New Testaments. The Church imprisoned Christopher Columbus for discovering a land not mentioned by St. Paul. They claimed that it was sacrilege to discover laws of the heavenly bodies, or the orbit of the earth, or an unforeseen continent not foretold in scripture. The Church excommunicated Pascal and Montey for immorality, and Muller for sacrilege and immorality." ("History of Free Thought", p.147).
The Church also exercised her power against Islam. On the pretext of treeing Jerusalem, she launched campaigns of bloodshed and atrocity in what she called "Wars for the Cross" or "Crusades", during the years 1095 to 1270.

Although the prime cause of these wars was the hatred and jealousy of Islam nursed by the Pope and the hierarchy, they stirred up the common people to enlist by false promises of loot and by ingenious calumny against the Muslims. Pope Urban II called a congress of clergy and religious leaders to decree a war against Muslims : at which the Pope ordered all bishops and clergy to enlist men for the battle against the Muslims, and himself led the recruiting campaign in France.

So vast was the first army that started out for Jerusalem that it seemed as if all Europe were afoot toward Asia. Some say there were as many as a million men on the march. En route these plundered, burned, mutilated and drowned the local citizens. They slew soldiers and civilians alike, women and children included. When they finally took Jerusalem in 1099, three years after the start, only 20,000 survived out of the original million. Civil wars and pestilence followed this "Christian" sacrifice of myriads of their own and of other nationals.

In the words of Gustave Le Bon ("La Civilisation lslamique et Arabe" p.407): "The atrocities committed by the Crusaders against friends and foes, against soldiers and innocent peasants, against women and children, against old and young, give them top place in the annals of savagery. One of their number, Robert the Monk, wrote : 'Our army raged through alleys and piazzas and over the flat roofs of adjoining houses like a mother lion robbed of her whelps, rampaging, tearing children to shreds in savage delight. We put old and young to the sword.

To speed up the work we used one rope's loop to hang many people together. Soldiers stole anything that came to hand, even ripping open the bowels of corpses in their search for jewels or coins. Whatever they found they pocketed. Finally, Bohemond assembled all the survivors men and women, maimed and helpless, together - in the castle, and butchered them all, saving only the young for sale in the Antioch slavemarket.' And Godfrey Hardouinville reported to the Pope: 'In Jerusalem Muslims who fell into our hands were slain by our people in Solomon's porch until the temple precincts flowed knee-high with blood'."

The Inquisition's torture of the learned and thinking class of its day roused an inevitable reaction against the Church. Independent-minded scientists pushed on with their work, despite severe censorship, until Church bigotry was compelled to beat a retreat and leave the road open for enlightened study and investigation. But by now scientists had come to regard all religion as the partisan of superstition, of ignorance, and of the suppression of science and erudition. The atrocities of the Crusades and barbarities of the Inquisition aroused abhorrence and suspicion in the popular mind against every form of religion.

In Russia, too, the Church's neglect of the poor and destitute, and patronage of the rich, roused a reaction which aided the rise of the communist movement, and caused its leaders to declare war on religion, stigmatising the religious as "capitalist lackeys and exploiters of the working class," and declaring that it was only "by obliterating the myth of God from the mind of man" that the revolution of liberty, equality and fraternity could be realised.

Ferdof, in his book "Religion in the U.S.S.R." (p.7), writes: "In Czarist Russia the Church owned vast properties in lands, buildings and furnishings, with millions of roubles in gold in the banks. She drew an income from forests, pastures, fisheries, commerce, industry and much else. In fact, the Church was the biggest capitalist of all, the biggest landowner, the biggest banker of Russia. She mercilessly exploited merchants, small and large. She made no attempt to improve industrial working conditions. So great was the hatred this conduct aroused amongst working and shopkeeping classes that the clergy were called .wolves in priests' clothing'."

Christianity, in its day the preserver of ancient manners and customs, the conservative reactionary, has today learned to strengthen its own foundations by adding to its brilliant historic past all that science and culture has to offer to modern genius.
The Catholic Church alone wields 4,000 propaganda organs spread all over the globe. Their budget enables them to extend their efforts at conversion to darkest Congo, to remotest Tibet and to the most primitive tribes of Australia.

The annual budget of the Church of England is well over 900,000,000 tomans.
Such figures, when compared with the pittance at Islam's disposal, pain the heart.

The Gospel has been translated into more than 1,000 languages. In 1973 the American "Society for the Publication and Distribution of the Gospel put out 24 million copies.

The Vatican publishes its own newspaper "L'Osservatore Romano" with a daily circulation of 300,000. It produces some 50 monthly periodicals with a total circulation of several millions per month. It runs 32,000 primary schools, universities and hospitals. Four powerful agencies despatch missionaries to the other continents.
Christianity employs three methods of propaganda:

1. translation of the books of the New Testament;
2. erection of churches and places of worship;
3. despatch of missionaries to all parts of the world.

Protestant sects likewise exert remarkable efforts at spreading their faith. "The Reader's Digest" wrote: "The revolutionary foundation of the Protestant Church of America was a revolt against efforts in Europe to renew the exaction of the 'tithe' which has been the Church's ancient right. Yet from 1950 on, the movement of 'stewardship' has been taken up increasingly so that many congregations have doubled or trebled their contributions, and thus made possible hundreds of new church buildings, and the reinforcement of missions at home and abroad. Most important, congregations and their members have realised the joyful results and unexpected rewards of the revival of this ancient custom."

So, what's your point? Do you expect Bible Students like me to regard this article done by some fellow? Anyway, there are several false preachers, teachers and pastors who, like I said in a previous post, are out to MERCHANDIZE the brethren. Its left for Believers to have THE LIFE OF JESUS CHRIST AS THE STANDARD!
Re: Aregbesola - Jihad Not War Of Hate by siddiq202(m): 4:11pm On Jul 31, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Composer Of Nigeria's National Anthem, Pa Benedict Odiase, Has Died. / Dont Postpone The Elections, NLC Warns / Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 249
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.