Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? (27343 Views)

Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / Photo: Is This D Most Annoying Man In Nigeria As People Said ? / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 8:13pm On Jul 31, 2012
Katsumoto: Rossikk

Your position that someone else has more poor people than me will not aid the poor people that belong to you.

India has its problems but those problems will not remove from the bigger problems in Nigeria. You are free to keep that mindset if it helps you sleep better at night.

You should be thanking me for shedding light on the myth that India is 'better than Nigeria'. The last article I posted alone clearly shows it is not.

The reason for this thread of course is to disabuse the minds of people who keep throwing it in our faces how all these developing nations are all somehow doing better than Nigeria, when clearly they aren't. The first step to national improvement is to clear away all those myths.

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 8:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

You should be thanking me for shedding light on the myth that India is 'better than Nigeria'. The last article I posted alone clearly shows it is not.

The reason for this thread of course is to disabuse the minds of people who keep throwing it in our faces how all these developing nations are all somehow doing better than Nigeria, when clearly they aren't. The first step to national improvement is to clear away all those myths.

You didn't shed nada. Provide something that shows Nigeria is better India and then I might take you seriously.

I have provided you with both economic and human development indicators; India is ahead of Nigeria in most spheres.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 8:21pm On Jul 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Okay what is your point exactly. . .So what If India is poorer? Do we then stop worrying about Nigeria? I mean what exactly are you driving at? Because for every one country that is poorer than Nigeria there are 10 richer than it. What do we do with those?

Not true. In annual GDP Nigeria ranks 41 out of 182 nations according to the IMF, and 46 out of 210 according to the UN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 8:22pm On Jul 31, 2012
@@@

no Nigeria is better

india is hoax cool

india dnt have running tap water in their country

i saw that on tv; imagine tank distribting water to the people in the so called city

enuff said
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by SisiKill1: 8:22pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

Okay fine, consider our minds disabused. Ooooh! India is poorer than Nigeria. . .Yippee ki yay Morrasucckers!!!

So what about the Qatars, Luxembourgs, Singapores, United Arab Emirates, Norways of the world?

2 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 8:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
^^^ hmm take it easy
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 8:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
Katsumoto:

You didn't shed nada. Provide something that shows Nigeria is better India and then I might take you seriously.

I have provided you with both economic and human development indicators; India is ahead of Nigeria in most spheres.

Dude abeg go siddon. ''Ahead in most spheres'' when India is literally starving? I mean, come on. If your people are starving/eating from dustbins you cannot come out and beat your chest and say you're better than other countries whose people are better fed. Food security is No 1. Tell me, will those hundreds of millions of starving Indians eat software? Will they eat nuclear weapons? Will they eat steel produced by Tata Industries? Tata has a personal fortune worth $22 billion. Yippeee! How much of that money has the average Indian smelt? People are starving and you're here talking nonsense on a full belly. Believe me if you go near any of those malnourished Indians and mentioned Tata and Infosys, they will wring your neck!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by SisiKill1: 8:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

Not true. In annual GDP Nigeria ranks 41 out of 182 nations according to the IMF, and 46 out of 210 according to the UN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Once again you force me to repeat myself. . .What is your point??!

So what if we are 41. . . what about the 40 before Nigeria? Are they not occupied by human beings too??!!

I mean we can spend the whole day posting links, going back and forth but at the end of the day one thing remains true - NIGERIA IS STILL IN A DIRE STATE!!!! I don't care if she's in good company, she is still in a bad way and that's all that matters.

3 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Ufeolorun(m): 8:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
Katsumoto:

You keep trying to shift the post. The thread is about India and Nigeria and not about Nigeria and Ghana. If you want to compare Nigeria and Ghana, then by all means, open another thread for that.
Lol
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 8:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Once again you force me to repeat myself. . .What is your point??!

I was only correcting your claim that for every country poorer than Nigeria there were 10 richer.

SO what if we are 41. . . what about the 40 before Nigeria? Are they not occupied by human beings too??!!

I mean we can spend the whole day posting links, going back and forth but at the end of the day one thing remains true - NIGERIA IS STILL IN A DIRE STATE!!!! I don't care if she's in good company, she is still in a bad way and that's all that matters.

But all countries were in a dire state before they became developed. Do you know that just 100 years ago, people slept 10 to a room in London and other UK cities? Have you read Dickens? He wasn't writing fiction. There was terribly poor housing, overcrowding and poverty all over the UK. Several houses shared a single toilet outside. Disease was rampant - cholera, typhoid, you name it. People died of cold in their homes because they couldn't afford heating. At this same time the elite were erecting Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and other edifices we admire today. Politicians were as corrupt as they come. But over several decades of public pressure, the ruling elite became more responsive to the needs of the majority. So neither India nor Nigeria are treading a path that hasn't been trodden before. It's really just a matter of time before the developing nations sort themselves out. cool
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by 2mch(m): 8:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@

no Nigeria is better

india is hoax cool

india dnt have running tap water in their country

i saw that on tv; imagine tank distribting water to the people in the so called city

enuff said

At least their government is distributing water. We have to BUY water in Nigeria when it runs out! Portable drinking water is almost non existent in the hinterlands. Lets not sugar coat our problems. let us face it head on and mention it, then propose solutions. We need more water treatment plants and empowerment of states to produce their own electricity separate from the national grid. My parents are retired, but paying for petrol on fixed income to run their generators. This petrol has been increased drastically. We keep getting governments that keep selfishly putting its citizens in poverty. One day sha, i have hope. Our eyes are opening, and the poverty is making people wake up. This present government has messed up the more with nothing to show for it. angry. Imagine Jay-Z coming all the way to commision one well abi water thing here, and they were celebrating. SHAME! lipsrsealed angry
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 8:47pm On Jul 31, 2012
2mch:

At least their government is distributing water. We have to BUY water in Nigeria when it runs out! Portable drinking water is almost non existent in the hinterlands. Lets not sugar coat our problems.

STOP SUGARCOATING INDIA'S PROBLEMS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/8859987/Half-of-Indias-cities-have-no-piped-water-or-sewer-systems.html
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by 2mch(m): 8:49pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

STOP SUGARCOATING INDIA'S PROBLEMS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/8859987/Half-of-Indias-cities-have-no-piped-water-or-sewer-systems.html

Dude, i dont care about India. I care about Nigeria. At least they have been able to get most of the Telecom business into their country. They are using their man power to develop their country. Education and Health is top notch. We are still stealing from our institutions, stealing teachers salaries and frustrating students with expired books, and curriculum's. What has Nigeria done to create jobs except steal from the food on our tables? Please, the comparison is impossible. Stop digging for newspaper articles. India is still better. Personal experience. smiley. Even the US has slums/ projects. Not everyone is wealthy. But the question is, are the basic necessities available? You should see how healthcare is cheap for Indian's, you will weep for your country.

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
401kk: They face the same problems Nigerians face:
Multi ethnicity, multi religious, huge population, horizontal corruption

100% Correct.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
Katsumoto: Rossikk

Your position that someone else has more poor people than you will not aid the poor people that belong to you.

India has its problems but those problems will not remove from the bigger problems in Nigeria. You are free to keep that mindset if it helps you sleep better at night.

Thank You!

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 8:54pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

I was only correcting your claim that for every country poorer than Nigeria there were 10 richer.

But all countries were in a dire state before they became developed. Do you know that just 100 years ago, people slept 10 to a room in London and other UK cities? Have you read Dickens? He wasn't writing fiction. There was terribly poor housing, overcrowding and poverty all over the UK. Several houses shared a single toilet outside. Disease was rampant - cholera, typhoid, you name it. People died of cold in their homes because they couldn't afford heating. At this same time the elite were erecting Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and other edifices we admire today. Politicians were as corrupt as they come. But over several decades of public pressure, the ruling elite became more responsive to the needs of the majority. So neither India nor Nigeria are treading a path that hasn't been trodden before. It's really just a matter of time before the developing nations sort themselves out. cool

10 people slept in a room in the east end of London. That was not the norm in all of London and it certainly wasn't the norm in the rest of the UK. The problems in London were caused by significant migration from other parts of the UK. Naturally people converged in the cheapest part of town. New York is one of the best and most expensive cities in the world; is there no poverty there? is it all tall buildings in NY?

The fact is that Nigeria could have been forgiven for its current state if it had no resources but it does. India is getting by without huge mineral resources while Nigeria is squandering millions of revenue on mis-managed and inflated projects and a corrupt political class.

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
rossike the internet renaissance noisemaker

he thinks that if you blather enough you will somehow move up in the world

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
2mch:

Dude, i dont care about India. I care about Nigeria. At least they have been able to get most of the Telecom business into their country. They are using their man power to develop their country. Education and Health is top notch. We are still stealing from our institutions, stealing teachers salaries and frustrating students with expired books, and curriculum's. What has Nigeria done to create jobs except steal from the food on our tables? Please, the comparison is impossible. Stop digging for newspaper articles. India is still better. Personal experience. smiley. Even the US has slums/ projects. Not everyone is wealthy. But the question is, are the basic necessities available? You should see how healthcare is cheap for Indian's, you will weep for your country.

Rich Nigerians and non-rich Europeans go to India for treatment.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 31, 2012
Katsumoto:
The fact is that Nigeria could have been forgiven for its current state if it had no resources but it does. India is getting by without huge mineral resources while Nigeria is squandering millions of revenue on mis-managed and inflated projects and a corrupt political class.

STOP THE MYTH-MAKING:

India's major mineral resources include Coal (fourth-largest reserves in the world), Iron ore, Manganese, Mica, Bauxite, Titanium ore, Chromite, Natural gas, Diamonds, Petroleum, Limestone and Thorium (world's largest along Kerala's shores). India's oil reserves, found in Bombay High off the coast of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan and in eastern Assam meet 25% of the country's demand.

India had about 125 Million metric tonne of proven oil reserves as April 2010 [4] or 5.62 billion barrels as per EIA estimate for 2009 [5] , which is the second-largest amount in the Asia-Pacific region behind China.[6] Most of India's crude oil reserves are located in the western coast (Mumbai High) and in the northeastern parts of the country, although considerable undeveloped reserves are also located in the offshore Bay of Bengal and in the state of Rajasthan.

Natural gas
As per the Ministry of petroleum, Government of India, India has 1,437 billion cubic metres (50.7×1012 cu ft) of confirmed natural gas reserves as of April 2010. A huge mass of India’s natural gas production comes from the western offshore regions, particularly the Mumbai High complex. The onshore fields in Assam, Andhra Pradesh, and Gujarat states are also major producers of natural gas. As per EIA data, India produced 996 billion cubic feet (2.82×1010 m3) of natural gas in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_resources_in_India

All this and yet she has the world's 2nd highest malnutrition rate.

Keep making excuses.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 9:13pm On Jul 31, 2012
ROSSIKE:

STOP THE MYTH-MAKING:

India's major mineral resources include Coal (fourth-largest reserves in the world), Iron ore, Manganese, Mica, Bauxite, Titanium ore, Chromite, Natural gas, Diamonds, Petroleum, Limestone and Thorium (world's largest along Kerala's shores). India's oil reserves, found in Bombay High off the coast of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan and in eastern Assam meet 25% of the country's demand.

India had about 125 Million metric tonne of proven oil reserves as April 2010 [4] or 5.62 billion barrels as per EIA estimate for 2009 [5] , which is the second-largest amount in the Asia-Pacific region behind China.[6] Most of India's crude oil reserves are located in the western coast (Mumbai High) and in the northeastern parts of the country, although considerable undeveloped reserves are also located in the offshore Bay of Bengal and in the state of Rajasthan.

Natural gas
As per the Ministry of petroleum, Government of India, India has 1,437 billion cubic metres (50.7×1012 cu ft) of confirmed natural gas reserves as of April 2010. A huge mass of India’s natural gas production comes from the western offshore regions, particularly the Mumbai High complex. The onshore fields in Assam, Andhra Pradesh, and Gujarat states are also major producers of natural gas. As per EIA data, India produced 996 billion cubic feet (2.82×1010 m3) of natural gas in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_resources_in_India

All this and yet she has the world's 2nd highest malnutrition rate.

Keep making excuses.

Wow, I didn't realize that India was one of the biggest oil producers. grin grin grin

Nigeria also has a list of mineral resources that are either not being mined or are not in commercial quantities. If India was dependent on its resources, it would be prone to commodity shocks but it isn't.

What ever India gets from its resources, it at least goes towards its development. Can you say the same for Nigeria?

Rossikk

Tell us, what is Nigeria known for globally? What is Nigeria good at that the rest of the world wants to tap into?

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Elueme: 9:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
@op, nobody is saying that India has gotten it 100% but they have made a far remarkable improvement in the past 20 yrs.. India is far better than Nigeria in terms of better economic indices and technological advances. Nothwitstanding it has it's numerous goofs.. There are traces of corruption as maybe expected of a country just evolving from the 3rd world with the 2nd largest population... India's all over the world are industrious and innovative and they export the proceeds of the businesses back to their home country which has helped their GDP over the years.. Unlike nigeria which still remained a 3rd world developing country, most of our big wits floats investments in foreign lands because they don't want to be in public scrutiny. Nigeria hasn't made headway in technological advancement or science though our citizens have distinguished themselves in foreign lands which as shown that these deficiencies are not familiar but environment induce and corruption cuts across board here which you and I on this forum will not claim ignorant of.. In all India still stood out more than Nigeria.. But with the right policies as being envisioned by this administration, I have no doubt that we will make headway astronomically.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
If you look at it objectively, India actually has a lot more natural resources than Nigeria, and has no business being in poverty, much less being the world's leader in malnutrition. The problem is they spend all their money trying to form big boy at the expense of the masses. You can take that 'technological innovation' crap and stick it where the sun don't shine. The people are starving while a minority feed fat off so-called technological innovation, which is really just technological duplication for private profit based on cheap labour, funded by the pilfered wealth of the masses.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
ROSSIKE: If you look at it objectively, India actually has a lot more natural resources than Nigeria, and has no business being in poverty, much less being the world's leader in malnutrition. The problem is they spend all their money trying to form big boy at the expense of the masses.

rossik must be talking about nigeria here is all i can say cheesy
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by violent(m): 9:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
This is just silly and childish!...i can't find better words to describe it.

India is the 10th biggest economy in the world with a GDP that is 8 times as big as Nigeria's GDP!...

67.9% of Nigerians live just under 1.25 dollars a day. This means 200 naira is considered a luxury by 7 in 10 Nigerians, despite their country being one of the biggest 10 oil exporting nations. In India, just 28 percent of the entire population live below 1.25 dollars a day!!!!...You should be ashamed of yourself by even attempting a comparison! Your Senators keep stashing loots abroad while you come here foaming easily in a shameful attempt to defend the indefensible.

On corruption, the latest figures on Global Corruption Perception Index puts Nigeria at 143 in the same league with Russia and below countries like Syria...all countries in which the people have stood up in their thousands against their government to protest years of misrule! In Nigeria, we have people like you instead, hoping to give shyt a new name. shyt will always be shyt my friend!...And just in case you wondered, India is perceived to be way less corrupt by the world as it stands at 95, . . . . .48 countries above Nigeria.

Want more? Your country that you will have us believe is soooo great is yet to attract foreign investors in droves and has not been listed on a single emerging market index. Most people still perceive, and rightly so, Nigeria as a frontier market. Just a tiny economy that can be really ignored!

India may have problems of power outage at the moment, but then, peharps Nigerians will be far more grateful if our problems were limited to a power outage and a corrupt political system. The educational system in Nigeria is an absolute disgrace!..People continue to live in constant fear of being smoked out and hacked to death in their own homes!....More Nigerians have been killed by the Police than even Armed assassins. Life expectancy in India beats Nigeria hands down!!!!

If you don't have smart things to talk about, then it may be wiser to keep your mouth shut!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by SisiKill1: 9:33pm On Jul 31, 2012
oyb: rossike the internet renaissance noisemaker

he thinks that if you blather enough you will somehow move up in the world
Hehehehe cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am so embarrassed for Rossik right now. What is amazing is that he actually thought he had a good point or he won't have opened this thread.

Choi!! embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
india - 125 Million metric tonne of proven oil reserves as April 2010 [4] or 5.62 billion barrels as per EIA estimate for 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves_in_Nigeria
there were 37.2 billion barrels (5.91×109 m3) of proven oil reserves in Nigeria as of 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nigeria
Population and Population Projections

170,123,740 (July 2012 est.) (CIA World Factbook)
Population: 162,471,000 (July 2011 United Nations est.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_demographics
The demographics of India are inclusive of the second most populous country in the world, with over 1.21 billion people (2011 census)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria
Nigeria is a middle income, mixed economy and emerging market, with expanding financial, service, communications, and entertainment sectors. It is ranked 30th in the world in terms of GDP (PPP) as of 2011, and its emergent, though currently underperforming manufacturing sector is the third-largest on the continent, producing a large proportion of goods and services for the West African region

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_India
The economy of India is the eleventh largest in the world by nominal GDP and the third largest by purchasing power parity (PPP).[1] The country is one of the G-20 major economies and a member of BRICS. In 2011, the country's per capita income stood at $3,693 (International Monetary Fund), 129th in the world, thus making a lower-middle income economy.[10]

in the book of rossik, india with a 7th of our oil reserves and 7 or greater times our population has no business being in poverty - then what do you say about nigeria

seriously, this childish ranting on the internet is tiresome. i hope in real life you do more than spout empty platitudes about african inventions and how to make it in nigeria by selling floor tiles. what this country needs right now is doers. talk is cheap. you are not going to get respect by making noise and vowing, but by a track record of achievement.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Epalos: 9:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
You missed the part where half of India population has never had electricity.
Rossikk:

Don't give me that bullshiit. The fact that the outage became news was because HALF the country or 620 million people are without power at the same time, NOT because power outages are unusual. Power cuts are a DAILY OCCURENCE in India. Better READ the comments made by Indians themselves in the article before coming here to play bodyguard for them. The crisis there is equivalent to the entire north of Nigeria being without power (or the entire south).

As for India being on overdrive, TELL THAT to her suffering millions:

''The World Bank estimates that India is ranked 2nd in the world of the number of children suffering from malnutrition, after Bangladesh (in 1998), where 47% of the children exhibit a degree of malnutrition. The prevalence of underweight children in India is among the highest in the world, and is nearly double that of Sub-Saharan Africa with dire consequences for mobility, mortality, productivity and economic growth.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malnutrition_in_India

CNN never told you all this while going into 'overdrive' about her 'software boom' did they?
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
ROSSIKE: If you look at it objectively, India actually has a lot more natural resources than Nigeria, and has no business being in poverty, much less being the world's leader in malnutrition. The problem is they spend all their money trying to form big boy at the expense of the masses. You can take that 'technological innovation' crap and stick it where the sun don't shine. The people are starving while a minority feed fat off so-called technological innovation, which is really just technological duplication for private profit based on cheap labour, funded by the pilfered wealth of the masses.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
violent:

This is just silly and childish!...i can't find better words to describe it.

India is the 10th biggest economy in the world with a GDP that is 8 times as big as Nigeria's GDP!...

Considering she has 1.1 billion people, it's no surprise she has a bigger economy than Nigeria. What a doofus. If you want to compare GDP, you should compare India with Africa, not Nigeria. And Africa's GPD is roughly the same as India's, probably more, since India is poorer than Africa, as shown by the latest studies. (See page 1 of this thread).

67.9% of Nigerians live just under 1.25 dollars a day. This means 200 naira is considered a luxury by 7 in 10 Nigerians, despite their country being one of the biggest 10 oil exporting nations. In India, just 28 percent of the entire population live below 1.25 dollars a day!!!!...You should be ashamed of yourself by even attempting a comparison! Your Senators keep stashing loots abroad while you come here foaming easily in a shameful attempt to defend the indefensible.

Where are you getting your dodgy statistics from? You should read the first page of this thread which puts a lie to your claims, in addition to this:

''Another study that used a household income of $US2 a day as the poverty benchmark found that India not only has more poor people than sub-Saharan Africa, but also has a higher level of poverty. In India, 75.6 percent of the population, or 828 million people, live below the poverty line as compared to 72.2 percent, or 551 million people in sub-Saharan Africa.

On the other end of the scale, the wealthy few in India have amassed great riches. While impacted by the global financial crisis, the number of US dollar billionaires in India on the Forbes list rebounded to 49 in 2010, after falling to 24 last year. The figure falls just short of the record high of 53 in 2008.
The Financial Express commented that year: “The wealth amassed by Indian billionaires—estimated at 340.9 billion dollars by the US business magazine Forbes—is nearly 31 percent of the country’s total GDP.''

http://wsws.org/articles/2010/aug2010/indi-a02.shtml

On corruption, the latest figures on Global Corruption Perception Index puts Nigeria at 143 in the same league with Russia and below countries like Syria...all countries in which the people have stood up in their thousands against their government to protest years of misrule! In Nigeria, we have people like you instead, hoping to give shyt a new name. shyt will always be shyt my friend!...And just in case you wondered, India is perceived to be way less corrupt by the world as it stands at 95, . . . . .48 countries above Nigeria.

But countries like Liberia and Gambia are ranked less corrupt than India on that index. Does that mean Liberia and Gambia are better than India?

Want more? Your country that you will have us believe is soooo great is yet to attract foreign investors in droves and has not been listed on a single emerging market index. Most people still perceive, and rightly so, Nigeria as a frontier market. Just a tiny economy that can be really ignored!

The Nigerian economy is among the three or four fastest growing in the world. What are you talking about?

India may have problems of power outage at the moment

No. Not 'at the moment'. She has had power problems for several decades.

but then, peharps Nigerians will be far more grateful if our problems were limited to a power outage and a corrupt political system. The educational system in Nigeria is an absolute disgrace!

Really? So how come someone like you managed to get educated, even with your tiny brain?

Oh, and this gem:

''According to the OECD’s Program for International Student Assessment, Indian eighth graders have math skills comparable to South Korean third graders, and Indian students ranked second to last of 75 countries surveyed in writing and mathematics, ahead of tiny, landlocked Kyrgyzstan.''

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/indias-broken-schools-cloudy-future

Melghat schools are in a state of gross neglect

AMRAVATI: Illiteracy and poor healthcare plague the Melghat region. In a way, illiteracy can to a certain extent, improve the healthcare scenario in this tribal-dominated region. Tribals follow age-old beliefs and superstitions, which many a times, restrict them from making use of healthcare facilities and lead to high mortality. But education can lead the tribals to shed their superstitions. But the region lacks adequate infrastructure to provide education.

A visit to any school in the area is sufficient to highlight the state of neglect. The government and various non-government organisations have started many schools, residential as well as day boarding, in Melghat. The TOI visited a government residential school in Sawalikheda village, Dharni, only to find no electricity, no safe drinking water and poor quality food.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2009-08-01/nagpur/28180457_1_drinking-water-residential-school-melghat-region
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by SisiKill1: 9:45pm On Jul 31, 2012
Why are you guys giving him an audience naa!

Arguing with him only makes it look like he had a legitimate point in the first place. undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
^^I'll let you in on a secret: They keep coming back because I hit them with upper cut facts that land straight on their jaws. When Ali hit Frazier, it always made him wanna hit back, but he always missed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Recalls Kinsman From Retirement, Appoints Him DG SSS - Premium Times / More "Facts" Emerge On The Cause Of Ali Modu And PDP Govs Impasse. / Reno Omokri Reacts To Aisha Buhari Reposting Tweets Criticizing President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.