Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? (27348 Views)

Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / Photo: Is This D Most Annoying Man In Nigeria As People Said ? / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 9:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 9:58pm On Jul 31, 2012
Hisss
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 31, 2012
ezeagu: Delhi Metro:

[img]http://1.bp..com/-GaInsY2EqYw/TXCDuvXIEhI/AAAAAAAACyg/e3Hn6nKnI4c/s1600/metrotrain.jpg[/img]

Guy, NO LIGHT to operate the thing. undecided

Meanwhile, Gov. Fashola will have a thing or two to say about that soon, with his launching of EKORAIL. wink
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by violent(m): 10:11pm On Jul 31, 2012

Considering she has 1.1 billion people, it's no surprise she has a bigger economy than Nigeria. What a doofus. If you want to compare GDP, you should compare India with Africa, not Nigeria. And Africa's GPD is roughly the same as India's, probably more, since India is poorer than Africa, as shown by the latest studies. (See page 1 of this thread).

Oh! which country then shall we compare Nigeria's GDP with? South Africa? hang on, that's smaller than Nigeria, so it's no surprise she has a bigger economy!...okay, let's do Iran? but erhm, that's still smaller than Nigeria, it's totally not comparable!!....Mexico? No way, that's still about 60 million people smaller than Nigeria!!!!

Okay Okay, let's do Brazil? Brazil's population is bigger than Nigeria, it's no surprise she has a bigger GDP!

Have you seen how senseless your argument is yet? Population of a country wouldn't matter much if majority of it's people are unproductive or the environment does not allow for much room to thrive, learn that doofos!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 10:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
violent:

Oh! which country then shall we compare Nigeria's GDP with? South Africa? hang on, that's smaller than Nigeria, so it's no surprise she has a bigger economy!...okay, let's do Iran? but erhm, that's still smaller than Nigeria, it's totally not comparable!!....Mexico? No way, that's still about 60 million people smaller than Nigeria!!!!

Okay Okay, let's do Brazil? Brazil's population is bigger than Nigeria, it's no surprise she has a bigger GDP!

Have you seen how senseless your argument is yet? Population of a country wouldn't matter much if majority of it's people are unproductive or the environment does not allow for much room to thrive, learn that doofos!

What is this one rambling like a mad man for? India's population is ten times that of Nigeria and you're comparing their GDP? That makes you insane.. What's next? You're gonna compare our GDP to China's too? Not sure why you're bringing up SA, Brazil, Iran etc. You can name any single one of those countries and we can discuss them, not bundle them all up together like some coc.k-starved she-goat.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by aletheia(m): 10:22pm On Jul 31, 2012
violent: Population of a country wouldn't matter much if majority of it's people are unproductive or the environment does not allow for much room to thrive, learn that doofos!
Err. . .you are actually reinforcing his earlier point.

ROSSIKE:
Considering she has 1.1 billion people, it's no surprise she has a bigger economy than Nigeria. What a doofus. If you want to compare GDP, you should compare India with Africa, not Nigeria. And Africa's GPD is roughly the same as India's, probably more, since India is poorer than Africa, as shown by the latest studies.

It has been my experience that the perception of India is a far cry from the actual reality. . .a romanticized view that doesn't bear up under closer scrutiny.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 10:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
aletheia: It has been my experience that the perception of India is a far cry from the actual reality. . .a romanticized view that doesn't bear up under closer scrutiny.

Wow... finally the fresh air of intelligence.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by violent(m): 10:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

What is this one rambling like a mad man for? India's population is ten times that of Nigeria and you're comparing their GDP? That makes you insane.. Not sure why you're bringing up SA, Brazil, Iran etc. You can name any one of those countries and we can discuss them, not bundle them all up together like some coc.k-starved she-goat.

You are a blithering i[i]d[/i]iot, that's probably why you failed to understand my post. It also probably strengthens my argument on the decaying educational structures in this country. You are a good example of such as you have failed to employ any means of common sense in your arguments and the quality of your post reflects that of someone with a mental age of 10.

let's adjust both countries GDP for the size of their population and factor out inflation rate, figures from reputable sources still show that Nigeria is still way behind India at 562 dollars compared to India's 838 dollars. (http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/gdp-per-capita)

Your argument about Nigeria being one of the fastest growing economies also shows that you are probably not very gifted at studying economic realities. Nigeria's economy is completely tied to the price of crude exports with 95% of it's revenues coming from Oil and gas and the picture of a fast growing economy is only reflective of a regime of rising oil prices. A sharp drop in global oil price is doom for the country. Did you or did you not hear your Finance minister prophecy gloomy days ahead for the country? Did she not receive the memo of the country being one of the fastest growing economies?

You in your complete utter idiotic glory compare this economy with India where export only accounts for 22 percent of it's GDP and it's completely self sufficient on the output of it's industrial sector? What Industrial sectors do you have in Nigeria aside from Dangote and a few names?

You are completely and utterly sick in the mind. I wonder what the future holds for this country when people like you continue to forcefully pollute this country's gene pool with offsprings of your kind. More than 3000 people have been killed in various bomb blasts that your government considered a "normal thing" and you don't see anything sickening in this country? You sir, are a shame!!....you should cower your head in your own fecal matter for even attempting a nonsensical argument as this......When was the last time you heard of a bomb blast in India despite their population? It's called SECURITY!!...that's the same country you claim spends to show off. What, pray tell does your own country spend on?

3 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 10:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Guy, NO LIGHT to operate the thing. undecided

Meanwhile, Gov. Fashola will have a thing or two to say about that soon, with his launching of EKORAIL. wink

If you mean the light rail project, then there is nowhere in Lagos or the rest of Nigeria that is being built (or planned) to match this:

Or this (main railway):

It's been running for the months and years India had light (including their main functional railway and soon-to-be/planned light rail), power cuts happen in every country, only not everyday in better developed countries unlike Nigeria.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by violent(m): 10:46pm On Jul 31, 2012
^^^

The dude has a lazy mental capacity.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 11:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
violent:

You are a blithering i[i]d[/i]iot, that's probably why you failed to understand my post. It also probably strengthens my argument on the decaying educational structures in this country. You are a good example of such as you have failed to employ any means of common sense in your arguments and the quality of your post reflects that of someone with a mental age of 10.

Wow. Such a slaveboy to Indians. Do they pay you to kiss their asss, cos you're doing a great job of it.

Adjusting both countries GDP for the size of their population and factoring out inflation rate shows that Nigeria is still way behind India at 562 dollars compared to India's 838 dollars.

Present your statistics, calculations, and sources in black and white. Don't expect us to take your word for it. Indian doormats don't get much credibility on THIS thread.

Your argument about the country being one of the fastest growing economies also shows that you are probably not very gifted at studying economic realities.

Take up your argument with Renaissance Capital. Unlike your jobless self, these are actual economists:

''The west African nations of Ghana and Nigeria are expected to be among the world’s fastest growing economies in 2012, according to an emailed research note by Charles Robertson, global chief economist at Renaissance Capital.
Robertson’s data comprises consensus forecasts and the latest estimates of gross domestic product (GDP) growth figures.
In 2011, Ghana was the fastest growing economy from a total of 43 markets included in Renaissance’s graphs. This growth was largely off the back of Ghana’s new oil industry. Nigeria had the 6th highest GDP growth, ahead of India...

However, next year Ghana’s growth will slow down, while Nigeria is likely to remain in 4th position.''

http://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/ghana-and-nigeria-among-worlds-fastest-growing-economies-in-20122013/16062/

Nigeria's economy is completely tied to the price of crude exports with 95% of it's revenues coming from Oil and gas.

You mean its EXTERNAL revenues.

A sharp drop in global oil price reflects doom for the country.

No it doesn't. First because the country has something like $40 billion in reserves, enough to pay her bills for a couple of years at least, and second, because any 'sharp drop in global oil price' is unlikely to last sufficiently long to cause any major disequilibrium, since there's no reason to suppose that demand for petroleum will subside in the near future. If anything it is rising by the day, especially given the rise of China and her consequent insatiable demand for energy. So what is your basis for forseeing this sustained ''sharp drop in oil prices'' apart from the ogogoro you drank before coming to post here?

You in your complete utter idiotic glory compare this economy with India where export only accounts for 22 percent of it's GDP

Oil exports only account for 20% of Nigeria's GDP.

and it's completely self sufficient on the output of it's industrial sector?

What do you mean by this statement? It sounds rather senseless.

What Industrial sectors do you have in Nigeria aside from Dangote and a few names?

Of what use are India's ''industrial sectors'' when she leads the world in malnutrition?? Those 'industrial sectors' are just private enterprises that exploit cheap labor while enriching a minority. They're really not much to gloat about even though CNN makes a mountain heap of their 'dazzling exploits'.

You are completely and utterly sick in the mind.

And you're an utterly stu.pid, semi-literate, ignorant slavehand. Funnily enough, the Indians you're here defending like a slave cockroach won't even touch your hand or let you marry their daughter cos of your skin colour. Dumb idi.ot.

I wonder what the future holds for this country when people like you continue to forcefully pollute this country's gene pool with offspring of your kind. More than 3000 people have been killed in various bomb blasts that your government considered a "normal thing" and you don't see anything sickening in this country? You sir, are a shame!!....you should cower your head in your own fecal matter for even attempting a nonsensical argument as this......When was the last time you heard of a bomb blast in India despite their population? [b]It's called SECURITY!!...[/b]that's the same country you claim spends to show off, what, pray tell does your own country spend on?

As the world leader in malnutrition, any 'security' in India must be akin to the security of the graveyard. But of course you're far too stu.pid to see that. Someone better grab your ankles before you disappear up their asss completely.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 11:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
ROSSIKE: ^^I'll let you in on a secret: They keep coming back because I hit them with upper cut facts that land straight on their jaws. When Ali hit Frazier, it always made him wanna hit back, but he always missed.

I doubt you have watched any of the three Ali vs Frazier fights. Frazier always missed Ali, yet Frazier had Ali on his back in the 15th round in their first fight and retained his title? Frazier went 15 rounds each time with Ali except the last fight when the ref stopped the fight after the 14th round. I am sure if Frazier couldn't hit Ali, Frazier wouldn't have lasted 15 rounds. I am sure Ali's jaw would disagree with your statement as well as his body from the devastating body shots Frazier landed.

In any case, your mind was made up when you created this thread and despite the facts you were served with, you have kept up with your subjective points.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 11:17pm On Jul 31, 2012
ezeagu:

If you mean the light rail project, then there is nowhere in Lagos or the rest of Nigeria that is being built (or planned) to match this:

You must be living on a different planet.

http://www.lagosrail.com/home/index.php

Insofar as what is being built and planned for Lagos is sufficient to cater to the Lagos population, and open to modification, you've no leg to stand on. In any case this stuff of comparing rail lines etc is the same error of equating growth with development. AGAIN, OF WHAT USE IS DELHI'S RAIL WHEN INDIA LEADS THE WORLD IN MALNUTRITION??

You can post images of all sorts of developments in India, it still doesn't answer that basic question.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by tpia5: 11:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
delhi metro is very recent, meaning it was completed 6 years ago, in 2006.

so please stop gloating over other people's achievements and go build your own.

or should the indians come and do it for you? I'm sure they wont mind.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by violent(m): 11:37pm On Jul 31, 2012

Present your statistics, calculations, and sources in black and white. Don't expect us to take your word for it. Indian doormats don't get much credibility on THIS thread.

You are a lunatic!..did you not see the source i gave above? here's the link again mad boy, you can once more feel free to pretend you were inflicted with some sort of unexplained blindness

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/gdp-per-capita

Take up your argument with Renaissance Capital. Unlike your jobless self, these are actual economists:

''The west African nations of Ghana and Nigeria are expected to be among the world’s fastest growing economies in 2012, according to an emailed research note by Charles Robertson, global chief economist at Renaissance Capital.
Robertson’s data comprises consensus forecasts and the latest estimates of gross domestic product (GDP) growth figures.
In 2011, Ghana was the fastest growing economy from a total of 43 markets included in Renaissance’s graphs. This growth was largely off the back of Ghana’s new oil industry. Nigeria had the 6th highest GDP growth, ahead of India...

However, next year Ghana’s growth will slow down, while Nigeria is likely to remain in 4th position.''

You are a foooool and you have absolutely no idea how growth estimate are generated or the need to put so much argument into what is mostly considered a "view". Most reasonable people compare at least 5 or 6 estimates from "leading" economists to arrive at their own conclusions not just copy and paste a certain view only to bark on like a rabid dog. This year alone, JPMorgan, UBS and Merryl lynch have all revised their growth forecast for different economies by at least 3 times. Of course you won't know that, you probably think those economist have a blue ball from which they see all and can tell all....learn foool, learn!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 11:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

What is this one rambling like a mad man for? India's population is ten times that of Nigeria and you're comparing their GDP? That makes you insane.. What's next? You're gonna compare our GDP to China's too? Not sure why you're bringing up SA, Brazil, Iran etc. You can name any single one of those countries and we can discuss them, not bundle them all up together like some coc.k-starved she-goat.

China's population is at least 4 times that of the US and until recently, their GDP figures were miles apart.

Canada's population is just 35 million but its GDP is almost 8 times that of Nigeria.

The fact is that, population doesn't count for jack if the citizens are not productive.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by lacasa: 11:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
tunnytox: @OP
What's your point pls? Should we now celebrate mediocricy just because it's also happening in India?

Gbam
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 11:45pm On Jul 31, 2012
violent:

You are a foooool and you have absolutely no idea how growth estimate are generated or the need to put so much argument into what is mostly considered a "view". Most reasonable people compare at least 5 or 6 estimates from "leading" economists to arrive at their own conclusions not just copy and paste a certain view only to bark on like a rabid dog. This year alone, JPMorgan, UBS and Merryl lynch have all revised their growth forecast for different economies by at least 3 times. Of course you won't know that, you probably think those economist have a blue ball from which they see all and can tell all....learn foool, learn!

grin grin

I am sure if you looked hard enough, you will find an economist who will state that Nigeria outgrew the US over the last 50 years. grin
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 11:54pm On Jul 31, 2012
Rossikk:

You must be living on a different planet.

http://www.lagosrail.com/home/index.php

Insofar as what is being built and planned for Lagos is sufficient to cater to the Lagos population, and open to modification, you've no leg to stand on. In any case this stuff of comparing rail lines etc is the same error of equating growth with development. AGAIN, OF WHAT USE IS DELHI'S RAIL WHEN INDIA LEADS THE WORLD IN MALNUTRITION??

You can post images of all sorts of developments in India, it still doesn't answer that basic question.

Yes, there are lots of attractive websites from Nigeria promising to import second had equipment in the next 50 years.

So is light growth or development? Those growth have nothing at all to do with development? If not then tell that to the thousands dying every year on Nigeria's major highways. Leading the world in malnutrition can be understood when you're looking out for 1 billion people. Again, India's black out is nowhere as common as Nigeria's. Nobody said India was perfect.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/31/india-blackout-electricity-power-cuts
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by tpia5: 12:02am On Aug 01, 2012
i really see no reason why the sw cant have a similar metro system in any case. undecided

linking all the major towns, including outside lagos.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by violent(m): 12:03am On Aug 01, 2012
Katsumoto:

grin grin

I am sure if you looked hard enough, you will find an economist who will state that Nigeria outgrew the US over the last 50 years. grin

grin grin grin

I have found from reading many commentaries that almost any economist that is worth his salt can do what you mentioned. What i probably find more amusing sometimes, is how the actual figures tend to vary largely around some of these estimates.

JP morgan estimated UK to shrink by 0.4% in the second quarter and the consensus was 0.2 percent. I wondered what the look on some of these guys was when the actual figure came out at 0.7%.

You can imagine how silly it must then sound that someone with a small mind and brain comes with a single view made at least 4 months ago to argue a certain point. sad
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 12:14am On Aug 01, 2012
violent:

You are a lunatic!..did you not see the source i gave above? here's the link again mad boy, you can once more feel free to pretend you were inflicted with some sort of unexplained blindness

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/gdp-per-capita

First of all, most sensible economists and decision makers measure GDP per capita by purchasing power parity (PPP) and the World Bank presents some rather interesting figures when this is done: 1) The differentials between India and Nigeria are far less dramatic than your tradingeconomics.com figures, and 2) they further indicate that GDP per capita cannot be an effective measurement of a nation's well being since it does not measure actual distribution of wealth. All it does is divide total GDP by the number of the population. In a place like India, with the world's 2nd largest concentration of billonaires sitting side by side with the world's 2nd most malnourished population, it is especially misleading to calculate their well-being using GDP per capita measurements.

A vivid example of the misleading nature of GDP per capita is Equatorial Guinea, whose GDP per capita is $36,515, roughly equal to that of the United States. This, in a country with rampant poverty, where a tiny elite have cornered a huge chunk of the wealth. In fact the average Equatorial Guinean is probably poorer than the average Nigerian or Ghanaian. Similar disparities occur in Gabon, Angola etc, countries which score high on GDP per capita :

World Bank GDP per capita figures $ (PPP)

Nigeria 2,532
Equatorial Guinea 36,515
Gabon 15,960
Angola 5,930
India 3,650

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Dumbito, tell us what their revised figures have shown for Nigeria. You think name dropping firms like Merryl Lynch and JP Morgan will get you anywhere? Show us where THEY have revised their forecasts for Nigeria and by what margins. Don't just tell us they 'normally' revise their forecasts and expect us to run scared. In fact, I'll do your job for you!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 12:27am On Aug 01, 2012
Ok, I just did a check, and Merryl Lynch revised their 2012 growth forecast for Nigeria in May from 6.7% to 6.3%. Big deal!!! Slight technical review with little effect on the overall impressive growth forecast.

And JP Morgan?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jp-morgan-boosts-nigerian-presence-2012-03-22

J.P. Morgan boosts Nigerian presence

By Devon Maylie

JOHANNESBURG -(MarketWatch)- J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. is boosting its presence in Nigeria as the bank seeks to take advantage of what it sees as Africa's big growth story over the next decade, it said Thursday.

The move will see J.P. Morgan, whose services in Nigeria include investment banking advice, trading, structuring and risk management capabilities, increase the size of its office in Nigeria to more than 10 from fewer than five.

"Nigeria is one of the fastest-growing economies in the world, and it is transitioning to a more diversified economy," said Tosin Adewuyi, J.P. Morgan's senior country officer for Nigeria. [size=16pt]"Nigeria is going to be Africa's growth story for the next 15 to 20 years."[/size] grin grin grin

The International Monetary Fund forecasts that the Nigerian economy will grow by 6.6% this year, outpacing the 5.8% average growth rate across sub-Saharan Africa. grin grin grin
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 12:33am On Aug 01, 2012
The question now is, are you going to sit on the sidelines worshipping India and co or are you going to dust your kneecaps, get on your bike, and become a functional, productive participant in the Nigerian Economic Revolution?

THAT'S THE QUESTION. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by bookface: 12:51am On Aug 01, 2012

First, you should realize that these are estimates and cannot necessarily be relied upon. They change as often as the weather.

Second, it is essential that you question the information in the data provided and consider their merits carefully. The data does not state whether or not nominal GDPs are used or real GDP figures. If inflation in Nigeria is higher than that in Ghana, that effect must be factored into actual growth rates.

Third, according to this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate_(latest_year), Nigeria's growth rate appear to be at 6.9 percent which accurately matches what your data appears to show, but on that list, Nigeria ranks 25th on growth rate, far behind Ghana and definitely far behind India. Nigeria ranking third can only have happened when compared on a regional basis. This should probably illustrate to you the importance of considering information from multiple sources.

Fourth, you may have correctly mentioned that GDP has it's own flaws but then again it is not designed to give you an overall "well being" index of a country. It remains, nonetheless the most important metric for measuring the flow of a country's scarce resources and when compared on a relative basis under any condition, India leads China based on this.

Fifth, you have argued seriously about India's malnutrition rate, but you may have chosen to purposely ignore the fact that according to this Global hunger Index, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hunger_Index) Nigeria continues to lead India in the area of hunger. Nigeria actually ranks 18th on the lists of country with extremely alarming hunger situation, this is despite the President budgeting a billion naira on food.

Make your arguments, but don't ignore vital pieces of information while doing so.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by violent(m): 12:53am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk: The question now is, are you going to sit on the sidelines worshipping India and co or are you going to dust your kneecaps, get on your bike, and become a functional, productive participant in the Nigerian Economic Revolution?

People like you have a brain of a fish. You believe everything and anything on the world wide web.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by antitpiah: 12:55am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk: The question now is, are you going to sit on the sidelines worshipping India and co or are you going to dust your kneecaps, get on your bike, and become a functional, productive participant in the Nigerian Economic Revolution?

No offense, you are the dumbest person on NL, only second to Katsumoto. I have been living in the dark for the past 2 days in America, hmm . . . America isnt that better than Nigeria? Also, Indians shyt sitting down, just like Nigerians . . . according to you, thats proof positive they arent more talented than us. What a dumbo!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 1:34am On Aug 01, 2012
bookface:

Third, according to this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate_(latest_year), Nigeria's growth rate appear to be at 6.9 percent which accurately matches what your data appears to show, but on that list, Nigeria ranks 25th on growth rate, far behind Ghana and definitely far behind India. Nigeria ranking third can only have happened when compared on a regional basis. This should probably illustrate to you the importance of considering information from multiple sources.

Actually that list merely illustrates the folly of quoting economic trends and statistics from the World CIA Factbook as opposed to professional economic organisations.

Fourth, you may have correctly mentioned that GDP has it's own flaws but then again it is not designed to give you an overall "well being" index of a country. It remains, nonetheless the most important metric for measuring the flow of a country's scarce resources and when compared on a relative basis under any condition, India leads China based on this.

Irrelevant insofar as GDP per capita does not account for wealth disparities within the territory under consideration.

Fifth, you have argued seriously about India's malnutrition rate, but you may have chosen to purposely ignore the fact that according to this Global hunger Index, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hunger_Index) Nigeria continues to lead India in the area of hunger. Nigeria actually ranks 18th on the lists of country with extremely alarming hunger situation, this is despite the President budgeting a billion naira on food.

Make your arguments, but don't ignore vital pieces of information while doing so.

I don't think you understood that Global Hunger Index. I'll explain it:

The Index ranks countries on a 100 point scale, with 0 being the best score (''no hunger'') and 100 being the worst, though neither of these extremes is achieved in practice. The higher the score, the worse the food situation of a country. Values less than 4.9 reflect "low hunger", values between 5 and 9.9 reflect "moderate hunger", values between 10 and 19.9 indicate a "serious", values between 20 and 29.9 are "alarming", and values exceeding 30 are "extremely alarming" hunger problem.

Vales on the Index (2011) for:

India 23.7

Nigeria 15.5

''The Global Hunger Index is composed of the proportion of the undernourished as a percentage of the population, the prevalence of underweight children under the age of five and the mortality rate of children under the age of five (calculated average, in percentages).''

This basically CONFIRMS all I've been saying here, ie that NIGERIA IS BETTER THAN INDIA. In fact not only that: NIGER REPUBLIC, RWANDA, and SUDAN are better than India. Their people are better fed than Indians. If not for India's fronting, by right we should be sending them FOOD AID. Thanks for the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hunger_Index

Let anybody, after seeing the clear hunger situation affecting Indians, come here talking about their ''industrial sector'' and ''software & telecoms industry'', or post railway pictures, one more time and see if I don't heap insurmountable curses on them. angry

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by aletheia(m): 2:20am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk:
The Index ranks countries on a 100 point scale, with 0 being the best score (''no hunger'') and 100 being the worst, though neither of these extremes is achieved in practice. The higher the score, the worse the food situation of a country. Values less than 4.9 reflect "low hunger", values between 5 and 9.9 reflect "moderate hunger", values between 10 and 19.9 indicate a "serious", values between 20 and 29.9 are "alarming", and values exceeding 30 are "extremely alarming" hunger problem.

India 23.7

Nigeria 15.5

''The Global Hunger Index is composed of the proportion of the undernourished as a percentage of the population, the prevalence of underweight children under the age of five and the mortality rate of children under the age of five (calculated average, in percentages).''

^
aletheia:
It has been my experience that the perception of India is a far cry from the actual reality. . .a romanticized view that doesn't bear up under closer scrutiny.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Katsumoto: 2:52am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk:

Actually that list merely illustrates the folly of quoting economic trends and statistics from the World CIA Factbook as opposed to professional economic organisations.

Irrelevant insofar as GDP per capita does not account for wealth disparities within the territory under consideration.

I don't think you understood that Global Hunger Index. I'll explain it:

India 23.7

Nigeria 15.5

This basically CONFIRMS all I've been saying here, ie that NIGERIA IS BETTER THAN INDIA. In fact not only that: NIGER REPUBLIC, RWANDA, and SUDAN are better than India. Their people are better fed than Indians. If not for India's fronting, by right we should be sending them FOOD AID. Thanks for the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hunger_Index

Let anybody, after seeing the clear hunger situation affecting Indians, come here talking about their ''industrial sector'' and ''software & telecoms industry'', or post railway pictures, one more time and see if I don't heap insurmountable curses on them. angry

Your approach is quite forceful, subjective, and all over the place.

You started this thread based on reports about blackout in India with no mention about hunger or malnourishment. But as you were challenged with FACTS about each country's economic and human development indicators, you changed tact. You have since changed tune and based the whole premise of your argument on hunger.

Well, now that you know that Indians are hungrier than Nigerians, has that improved the lot of Nigerians?
Has it changed the fact that India is ahead of Nigeria in most spheres?

Yes India has its problems but at least it is known for being a leader in some fields, what is Nigeria known for despite the resources at its disposal?

In most commentaries about India, its problems are often stated but it also has a lot of positives. What are the positives from/about Nigeria? Next time you want to make comparisons, please select countries like Pakistan and Mali since those are the countries that are in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Now that you have established that Indians are hungrier than Nigerians, please provide reasons why the citizens of Nigeria should be hopeful about in the next few years.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by mkpologwu(m): 3:09am On Aug 01, 2012
Bia Rosicsky abi rossike, comot for ds thread with that ur secondary school, Arsenal-like mind-set! Development is all about humans, and human development is NOT all about food! Otherwise why do pple migrate from rural areas (where food plenty) to urban areas (where food is scrambled) Or why do we (the so-called over-fed Nigerians) rush to hungry Indians for medical treatment Especially kidney transplant!!! If you agree with me that Abuja is more developed than Benue (the food basket of the nation), then India is more developed than Nigeria. QED!

2 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by SmoothCrim: 3:16am On Aug 01, 2012
When talking about economies I prefer to Use the IMF data since it is the newest and most updated.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01/weodata/weoselgr.aspx

I prefer to look at the human development index
http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2011_EN_Table1.pdf

And the Failed states Index

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/failed_states_index_2012_interactive

When one reads all along with the Global Peace Index it becomes apparent that India is in better shape BUT, Nigeria has good potential and if it gets its act together WATCH OUT!!!

In the end both are developing countries and have a lot of challenges.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Declares President Jonathan Incompetent / PDP Disowns Group Over Unauthorized Statement On Buhari / VP Osinbajo Preaches At Aso Villa Chapel(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.