Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? (27344 Views)

Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / Photo: Is This D Most Annoying Man In Nigeria As People Said ? / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:20am On Aug 01, 2012
I just came back from Bengalore, India, what I saw is a prove that they are much ahead of Nigeria in most things, the level of poverty is equally very high. Their power supply is by far better than what we have in Lagos. But don't be deceived they are ahead of us.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:29am On Aug 01, 2012
Ufeolorun: Rossikk,
I admire your genuine love for Nigeria but don't compare india to Nigeria.
India is on overdrive while nigeria is still being propelled by omolanke kind of device.
The fact that this outage became news is because it's largely seen as unusual and unacceptable for an emerging economic power.
They have serious issues you would normally see in developing countries but don't Ignore or underestimate the I in the BRICs,its there for a reason.

Reasonable.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:39am On Aug 01, 2012
Ok in an haste to excuse GEJ's incompetence, someone forgot to quote these NLers who "said India is better than Nigeria".

I doubt any NLer is dull enough to make such statement.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:42am On Aug 01, 2012
LOL @ comparing Nigeria to India's retrogression, while avoiding to compare Nigeria to China's progression. Okayyyyyyy!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Xionez(m): 4:48am On Aug 01, 2012
All this one na torie, i neva get light for the past 2months and you never hear me complain. Make dem buy gen set or inverters and thank their stars sey dem no go need run the set 24/7.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by tatosh: 5:49am On Aug 01, 2012
100 million nigerians are in darkness almost all year round,y does this news seem like a big deal? Just shows there is no basis for comparison btw india and naija. Let's wait for the day when power cuts in Nigeria will become international news

2 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Agiliti(m): 5:52am On Aug 01, 2012
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by CyberG: 6:14am On Aug 01, 2012
This shaitty country is more full of crap because of losers like the OP who justify failure of a country like Nigeria because another country like India or China also had a power cut? Well your shitty hell hole led by your retardeenasshole is still struggling with 3000 MW after eternity, mostly in darkness after your retardeen looted all the money but because India had a problem, you think you are better? Well, hope all losers like retardeen defending his useless government blindly are made to hang in the market square by their balls when someone puts the retardeen out of his confusion.

3 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by miketayo(m): 6:16am On Aug 01, 2012
hahahahahahahah.....did d funniest tread ever..... comparing India to Nigeria. Indian is a 100 years ahead of Nigeria despite d fact their population is more than ours...i have been in india for 5 years. you just cant compare. they had a black out for 2 days and we are happy in Nigeria.. we have been having black outs for months. suffering and smiling that has always been our way in 9ja
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by miketayo(m): 6:21am On Aug 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Ok in an haste to excuse GEJ's incompetence, someone forgot to quote these NLers who "said India is better than Nigeria".

I doubt any NLer is dull enough to make such statement.

and whats your point. all Nigerian do is make noise. Namibia or Ghana is even better than Nigeria. have seen these countries. India is way ahead in everything (ie Good).

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk: Blackout in the country leads to 620 million people without power in a country where daily power cuts are already the norm. I thought some people here have been singing the praises of India while rubbishing Naija. The comments from Indians following this article below show the country is riddled with corruption and inefficiency. And scarily enough, they have nukes!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/world/asia/power-outages-hit-600-million-in-india.html

Good, Now hopefully innocent civilians will no longer have to Stare at those nasty 2 headed Born Children with 2 necks and Little Girls born with 4 arms and 4 Legs.

What a Repulsive Incestt Breeding physiological Mutation of a Nation.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by francis247(m): 6:48am On Aug 01, 2012
India has always been ahead of Nigeria with regards to corruption, but it doesn't change the fact that Nigeria of today is seriously competing to take her place.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:50am On Aug 01, 2012
In Nigeria,we have over a 100 million in blackout for 2 months every year...there own better
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by kushe: 6:51am On Aug 01, 2012
Me no know the reason this man start thread begin yan dust oo.

Matsumoto, a beg keep replying him,you alone are 50nairalanders,very intelligent and articulate at the same time, thank you for reading your book and then knowing how to put up a reasonable defense for your position without degrading to insults. Forgive Rossik cos he is a sick,educated illiterate.

Matsumoto , why are people like you not in government.naa my iPad dey change k to m ooo.

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by PetroDolla: 7:00am On Aug 01, 2012
just leave Ghana out of your bland argument. If you think nigeria is better than Ghana or is the best country in the world,good for you. Every country has its own growth trajectory. The reality is there for all to see.
Rossikk:

But you have folks like you that regularly sing the praises of Ghana, saying she's better than Nigeria. I can use your same argument to destroy the 'Ghana is better than Nigeria' claim.

''Where is Ghana's Dangote Group?
Where is her Zenith Bank?
Where is her First Bank?
Where is her UBA?
Where is her Oando PLC?
Where is her Transcorp?
Where is her GLO?
Where is her INNOSON motors (vehicle manufacturers)?
Where is her Zinox (computer manufacturers)?
Where is her Defence Industries Corporation (DIC), West Africa's largest weapons manufacturer?''

I mean if we want to go down that road of ''this country has bigger companies than that, and therefore must be better'', then Nigeria is surely the second best country in Africa after SA!!!!

Anyone disagree?

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by eaglechild: 7:18am On Aug 01, 2012
It's unbelievable how so many uninformed illiterarates and corrupt paid off touts come here to blab about how Nigeria is better than India.
Ask urself why did some hours of power outage in india make international news?
Will that be the case in Nigeria?
Remember similar power cuts in SA making news some years back.
A country where even your leaders are flown to when they require VERY BASIC healthcare.
Is there any hospital working in Nigeria.
Look around ur extended family and tell me if u wont count 2 ppl that have benefited from India's healthcare system
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by TonySpike: 7:35am On Aug 01, 2012
It's great to see an intellectual debate of this magnitude on this thread. I can see that the arguments for and against the two countries are mainly from the Economist point of view. Since I am no Economist, I'd like to pass my arguments from the level of technological achievements. Anyone who has studied Electrical or Mechanical Engineering here knows that India has a home-grown industry in anything dealing with machineries. Their level of sophistication in this area is so high that India alone could accounts for about 30% of literature materials in this field. That's not all; India also has world-class and home-grown industries in power systems, medicine, nuclear sciences, infotech and finally, engineering. Can Rossike honestly tell us the home-grown industries in Nigeria (technological) that have achieved world-wide status? I'll be waiting...

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by sambos994(m): 7:44am On Aug 01, 2012
Let's be real here guys. India is in a way better off than Nigeria. But check this, you guys are glorifying India as the best country in the world. To be honest, they're not all that great. Poverty in India is so bad it's not even funny. They even take a s**t on the streets, in public, at the fields, in the river(75% of India's rivers are polluted),where ever they feel. Imagine that. Not to mention the people aren't always the friendliest. You know how many Nigerians were killed because...they were Nigerians? People don't get it twisted, India is not THAT better off than Nigeria. Now on the flip side, India is better than Nigeria in terms of health care, education, crime, even power.Katsumoto, don't be so hard on Nigeria...India has it's own fair share of bad things just like any developing country in this world. But Rosikk, India is better than Nigeria overall, as a country...India has achieved more. The best we can do is make Nigeria as good as we can make it.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by sambos994(m): 7:46am On Aug 01, 2012
SmoothCrim: When talking about economies I prefer to Use the IMF data since it is the newest and most updated.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01/weodata/weoselgr.aspx

I prefer to look at the human development index
http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2011_EN_Table1.pdf

And the Failed states Index

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/failed_states_index_2012_interactive

When one reads all along with the Global Peace Index it becomes apparent that India is in better shape BUT, Nigeria has good potential and if it gets its act together WATCH OUT!!!

In the end both are developing countries and have a lot of challenges.

That's the spirit wink
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by lugado: 7:53am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk:

Dude abeg go siddon. ''Ahead in most spheres'' when India is literally starving? I mean, come on. If your people are starving/eating from dustbins you cannot come out and beat your chest and say you're better than other countries whose people are better fed. Food security is No 1. Tell me, will those hundreds of millions of starving Indians eat software? Will they eat nuclear weapons? Will they eat steel produced by Tata Industries? Tata has a personal fortune worth $22 billion. Yippeee! How much of that money has the average Indian smelt? People are starving and you're here talking nonsense on a full belly. Believe me if you go near any of those malnourished Indians and mentioned Tata and Infosys, they will wring your neck!

Ross listen to yourself. This guys are telling you the truth. I think the problem u have is india's population.there population is ten times ours so even if 5% of its population is malnourished its still like half of our population. Or are u saying benin republic is better than nigeria because we have poorer people in nigeria? because the numba of malnourished people alone in lagos is greater than that of benin republic. If nigeria is better why do nigerians save there hard earned money to travel †̥ india †̥ do menial jobs? Aw come we don't have indians doing menial jobs here? Power has been off fO̶̷̩̥̊͡Я 3 days and there trains stopped working, can our government dare think of buying electric trains? Funny enuf as poor as india is, most of the technology and ideas here in this country is imported from india. On a more serious note, remove oil from nigeria, we'll be worse than somolia

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by inspbado(m): 7:57am On Aug 01, 2012
My guy stop comparing Nigeria with India Āƃěg!! Do you know the number of Nigerians seeking medical help in India(inclusive of some of your shameless politicians)! Do you the number of Nigerians employed by Indian coys in Nigeria!Nigeria is better than India my bum!! Concerning ur malnutrition argument;I read a Times magazine(an American newspaper)report last year stating that china,norway,Finland,Denmark nd a handful of other small European countries surpass the US in education,health,NUTRITION,debt management etc, yet the US is amongst the top ten developed nations of the world. Go figure!!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 8:04am On Aug 01, 2012
OP you should be ashamed of your ridiculous sense of reasoning
,a 2 day blackout in India has suddenly become a sign of ineffeciency in your beclouded.
India which operates one of the cheapest government in the world is the better than Nigeria is so many areas especially the area of medicine,engineering,education and so on.
India have larger population and fewer resources compare to Nigeria,a senator in India have to work for 49 whole years to earn what a Nigerian senator earns in salaries annually,
a senator's anual salary is over
N182 million multiply by 109
senators (don't forget the House of representatives,ambassadors,ministers). Do the mathematics then come back to compare Nigeria to India,a country that has better education system than your country yet spend far far far less than what Nigeria govt spend on allowances alone to run a country of 1.21 billion people (officially the second largest globally).
Nigeria with 150 million people operates the most expensive government in the world and have no excuse whatsoever for their failures and shortcomings,with the trillions spent in running the Nigeria govt we are not even supposed to compare ourselves to India yet the govt struggles to provide basis standard infrastructures,quality healthcare system,quality education,standard roads,water and standard housing for the masses.
Senate President David Mark alone
takes N250 million quarterly or
N83.33 million per month. Senate
Deputy President Ike Ekweremadu
gets N150 million per quarter or
N50 million a month.
Mark and Ekweremadu earns in 4
months, six times what the UK
Prime Minister earns in a year.
David Cameron goes home with Â
£190,000 per anum (N43, 700,000)
If India with 1.21 billion have that kind of resources at their disposal annually they will be far better country than they already are, India with 1.2bn people is the fourth largest power consumer in the world behind China,Russia and the USA. India has the fifth biggest Captive Power plant in the world and they generates Giggawatts while Nigeria is still struggling with MegaWatts.

1 Like

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by onandon: 8:07am On Aug 01, 2012
We have only had a total of 4 hours power supply in my hood since Saturday. I can't believe this crap of a topic, OP is definitely part of the 40 laptop squad. How can someone in his/her right mind come out and justify failure by comparing it with another persons shortcoming ? Na different parole person dey see for this NL everytime. Hey everyone, I bed wet every night but my brother bed wetted twice yesterday once during siesta and when we were having our night rest therefore I am better than my brother and I'm proud to be a bed wetter because my brother bed wetted yesterday too.. Yipeee ! By the way we are 18 year olds.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by emsquare(m): 8:13am On Aug 01, 2012
401kk: They face the same problems Nigerians face:
Multi ethnicity, multi religious, huge population, horizontal corruption

On point!
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by eaglechild: 8:26am On Aug 01, 2012
onandon: We have only had a total of 4 hours power supply in my hood since Saturday. I can't believe this crap of a topic, OP is definitely part of the 40 laptop squad. How can someone in his/her right mind come out and justify failure by comparing it with another persons shortcoming ? Na different parole person dey see for this NL everytime. Hey everyone, I bed wet every night but my brother bed wetted twice yesterday once during siesta and when we were having our night rest therefore I am better than my brother and I'm proud to be a bed wetter because my brother bed wetted yesterday too.. Yipeee ! By the way we are 18 year olds.

Great analogy! Pls tell those shameless individuals who come up with outrageous comparisms.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Bolarge1(m): 8:30am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk: Blackout in the country leads to 620 million people without power in a country where daily power cuts are already the norm. I thought some people here have been singing the praises of India while rubbishing Naija. The comments from Indians following this article below show the country is riddled with corruption and inefficiency. And scarily enough, they have nukes!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/world/asia/power-outages-hit-600-million-in-india.html

My Guy do you mean 2 months or 2 days?

This is no news to Nigerians, when we are talking of 3, 5, 6,months, No light you are giving us the story of a country of 2 days.

Na wa for you ooo!

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Shaw007(m): 8:50am On Aug 01, 2012
Katsumoto: OP,

Highlighting the power problems of India doesn't make India worse off than Nigeria.

India leads Nigeria in most facets of life. Having said that, it doesn't mean that India is not beset with problems such as graft, bad infrastructure, etc.

India has had better growth rates than Nigeria in the last few decades
India leads the world in frugal innovation in many fields such as energy, telecommunications, medicine, medical diagnostics, etc
India has produced entrepreneurs who are not dependent on government contracts or government created monopolies

Nigeria can not even challenge India educationally.

right on point man. . .just as someone said earlie.this tin is mainly news because it's unusual.imagine traffic flowing freely at a lagos road at 8a.m in d mornin' its unusual. . .and pls never ever compare india with Nigeria,its true we av d same kind of problems but india is growing at a rate Nigeria might never catch up with india is much larger than Nigeria in terms of size and they are still better off. . .bottom line-both countries ac got problems infact every single country in d world has problems but whats important is how u deal with it
100 years ago was china were they are 2day?? Or was in not western countries that went there and taught them how to run an economy. . .pls tell me where china is 2day.china is one of the strongholds of the world 2day and if d whole country was 2 go down a good part of d world would also be affected and puttig it in mind that they did it within an incredibly short space of time
My point is,This country is country it takes time. . .but the way its going it might end up taking too much time. . .i just hope it all turn out GOod.for all our sakes.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Delafruita(m): 9:12am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk:

You must be living on a different planet.

http://www.lagosrail.com/home/index.php

Insofar as what is being built and planned for Lagos is sufficient to cater to the Lagos population, and open to modification, you've no leg to stand on. In any case this stuff of comparing rail lines etc is the same error of equating growth with development. AGAIN, OF WHAT USE IS DELHI'S RAIL WHEN INDIA LEADS THE WORLD IN MALNUTRITION??

You can post images of all sorts of developments in India, it still doesn't answer that basic question.
its apparent from all your posts on this thread that you have a pre-informed opinion you intend to force down the throats of everyone.i am inclined not to comment but i have been irked to because i notice your apparent romance with the "malnutrition index".here's a few simple facts
-india is a population of approxx 1.2billion people
-nigeria is a country of about 160million
if india has 200million malnourished people,thats a population more than the size of nigeria and thats disturbing.but as disturbing as it is,the figure represents less than 20% of its population.nigeria on the other hand has over 90% of its population living on less than $2 a day and more than 70% onless than $1 a day.thats a disaster
india is a nation riddled with corruptio.however,the rate of corruption in india is not even up to 20% what we have in nigeria.the indian people were flabbergasted when news broke that the former telecommunications minister took bribes within the range of $2million from providers.the immediate effect was the resignation of the minister,he was arrested and tried.the nigerian public wont even see a $2million bribe as a big deal since we know our politicians now deal in billions.
the difference between india and nigeria is that where india is trying everything possible to shed itself of its inefficiencies,nigeria is still rigmaroling and sacrificing its future on the altar of mediocrity,ethnicity,"he's our son" syndrome and political idiocy.india is moving very fast and nigeria can only hope oil prices dont crash

2 Likes

Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by FKO1(m): 9:21am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossikk:

But you have folks like you that regularly sing the praises of Ghana, saying she's better than Nigeria. I can use your same argument to destroy the 'Ghana is better than Nigeria' claim.

''Where is Ghana's Dangote Group?
Where is her Zenith Bank?
Where is her First Bank?
Where is her UBA?
Where is her Oando PLC?
Where is her Transcorp?
Where is her GLO?
Where is her INNOSON motors (vehicle manufacturers)?
Where is her Zinox (computer manufacturers)?
Where is her Defence Industries Corporation (DIC), West Africa's largest weapons manufacturer?''

I mean if we want to go down that road of ''this country has bigger companies than that, and therefore must be better'', then Nigeria is surely the second best country in Africa after SA!!!!

Anyone disagree?

My guy u are so on point,3 gboza 4 u.
Gboza !
Gaoza !!
Gboza !!! Lol
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by Ufeolorun(m): 9:24am On Aug 01, 2012
Rossickk isn't one of those paid hacks he's just a bullish patriot.
Rossick abi you get one of those 40 ni? grin
Don't stop being bullish ojae my brother but make we use small figures and reality abeg.
We have all it takes.
Re: I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? by onandon: 9:37am On Aug 01, 2012
http://m.engadget.com/2012/07/31/power-goes-out-in-india-affecting-600-million/?icid=eng_latest_art

Even Engadget (a technology website in the USA) reported the news . If it's a norm in India why are they reporting it ? Naija got serious issues .. Someone shout "it is well" !! Suffering and smiling. Hiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Reacts To Aisha Buhari Reposting Tweets Criticizing President Buhari / Photos Of Soldier Killed By Boko Haram 3 Months After Welcoming Baby. / Ambode Walks Against Sexual, Gender Based Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.