Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK (21791 Views)

5 Things You Should Considered Before Coming To Study In The UK / Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 6:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
This advice explains some of things you can do to help with this.

1)Make a note of a suitable UK contact including full name, address and a phone number which will be required when you complete your landing card.

2)Ensure you complete your landing card before you meet the Border Force officer in the UK.

3)If you carry your passport in a protective wallet, please take it out before you present it to a Border Force officer.

4)Never give false or misleading information (including forged or counterfeit documents) to a Border Force officer.

5)Have your university confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) letter and medical card (if you have one) in your hand luggage that you carry with you on to the aircraft.

6)If you don't have a CAS letter, please bring thorough details of your course of study.

7)There are restrictions on food products that you can bring to the UK from outside the European Union, even for personal use. Restrictions apply to products made from meat, dairy, fish, eggs and honey, as well as some fruit, vegetables and plants (e.g. bulbs, seeds, cut flowers and tree bark).

coolThere are also restrictions on the amount of goods such as tobacco, alcohol and gifts you can bring in the UK. If you exceed your allowances all of your goods can be taken away from you.

9)Never bring in counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, firearms (including realistic imitations), offensive weapons (including knives) or indecent or obscene material.

10)Make sure you are familiar with the conditions of your visa including the number of hours you are allowed to work.
You must declare any sums of cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you are travelling from a country outside the European Union.

11)If you would like further information on any of the above please check the UK Border Agency website for more information.

There will be dedicated student lanes at some of our airports so keep a look out for these when you arrive.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2012/july/46-student-arrival

5 Likes

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by SirP1: 6:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
@justwise What do you mean by 'counterfeit goods'? Cos most of our Nigerian guys have fake Louis Vuitton, Gucci clothing grin So please explain so folks are not confused

13 Likes

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 6:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
Sir P!:
@justwise What do you mean by 'counterfeit goods'? Cos most of our Nigerian guys have fake Louis Vuitton, Gucci clothing grin So please explain so folks are not confused

Counterfeit goods = fake goods, its not about wearing one but bring in some in large quantity for friends or family may get you in trouble.

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Dharkchild: 7:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
@justwise, what's a landing card undecided
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by AZeD1(m): 7:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
Dharkchild: @justwise, what's a landing card undecided
The airline will give you. If not when you land ask for it.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Dharkchild: 7:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
A-ZeD:

The airline will give you. If not when you land ask for it.
Thanks
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
@Justwise, always on point. Thanks brov. Add s to make it studies
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2012
Dharkchild: @justwise, what's a landing card undecided

Fill that card with all honesty, try and fill it before you get to the immigration checking point, they do take the info in that card seriously.

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 8:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
Donxavier: @Justwise, always on point. Thanks brov. Add s to make it studies

No worries bro
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by henrychubayo: 8:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
In some informations i have though not in uk, some food are prohibited but some are not, if you carry any food with you, you must declare it in that card before handing it over. But to avoid problems, you better not carry any food as a new person to arriving to another country.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by ogheneyoma: 9:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
@justwise, i make beads for sale here in nigeria.....do u tink its wise for me to take the beading tools along wit me wen travelling? is it allowed?
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 10:22pm On Jul 31, 2012
ogheneyoma: @justwise, i make beads for sale here in nigeria.....do u tink its wise for me to take the beading tools along wit me wen travelling? is it allowed?

Not a good idea, don't take something that will get you unwanted attention from the immigration
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by ogheneyoma: 8:11am On Aug 01, 2012
justwise:

Not a good idea, don't take something that will get you unwanted attention from the immigration

ok, thank u very much.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 01, 2012
There is nothing in UK again. Apply to US and Canadian Universities.

15 Likes

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by MrWhy1(m): 4:01pm On Aug 01, 2012
bayooooooo: There is nothing in UK again. Apply to US and Canadian Universities.

Hahahaha... So true.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by dontap: 4:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
What about carrying huge cash like converting your millions which is naira to pounds.

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by tissot84: 4:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
who still dey apply to UK. Make una bone dem for like 3years make dem know say khaki no bi leather. U guys should try CANADA or US Jooooor oh and let the white British racist keep their country to themselves. I dnt even blame them when our government are destroying the educational systems. God Dey.
If you are still going to UK I wish u GOODLUCK shocked so when you get to the airport u must be PATIENCE embarassed.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by judebeyou: 4:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
Thanks for the info.
I want to travel ti Finland very soon, is it the same thing that is applicable?
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by UNLEASHED(m): 4:22pm On Aug 01, 2012
bayooooooo: There is nothing in UK again. Apply to US and Canadian Universities.

If not for the recent measures imposed on international student visa, I see nothing wrong with studying in the UK if you're mentally and financially up for it. There are loads of US citizen who came here to study and of which I know about 7 of them so what's your point Mr.?

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by tissot84: 4:28pm On Aug 01, 2012
UNLEASHED:

If not for the recent measures imposed on international student visa, I see nothing wrong with studying in the UK if you're mentally and financially up for it. There are loads of US citizen who came here to study and of which I know about 7 of them so what's your point Mr.?

There is notin wrong in studying in Uk if it was Scotland not England. And now there is a research which is on now why the numbers of International Student that fails is so on the increase
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by tonyx4x44(m): 4:28pm On Aug 01, 2012
tissot84: who still dey apply to UK. Make una bone dem for like 3years make dem know say khaki no bi leather. U guys should try CANADA or US Jooooor oh and let the white British racist keep their country to themselves. I dnt even blame them when our government are destroying the educational systems. God Dey.
If you are still going to UK I wish u GOODLUCK shocked so when you get to the airport u must be PATIENCE embarassed.
or else border force go SAMBO you!
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by tissot84: 4:29pm On Aug 01, 2012
tonyx4x44: or else border force go SAMBO you!

Hmmm SAMBO asin AW cool
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2012
UK, so stagnant a place. Why do people love this UK so much ?

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by JoeNketo: 4:32pm On Aug 01, 2012
Pls nairalist direct me on how to get international passport I hope to study in Cyprus
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by tissot84: 4:32pm On Aug 01, 2012
Billyonaire: UK, so stagnant a place. Why do people love this UK so much ?

The tin wey dey vex me self na the English Test.
They just dey use style CHOP MY AW MONEY.
BABA WON MA RUN DOWN
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by BabaIbada: 4:32pm On Aug 01, 2012
Nice one justwise. You can bring fish of up 20kg if you are fish type but don't try meat. I had all my meat seized in May but the immigration officer told me nothing 's wrong with fish. Bring a maximum of 10 packs of 20 cigarettes (200 sticks), as for lighter, you should be ready to bribe Nigerian immigration to be allowed to bring it on board coz they took mine from me when I was coming here in May but never mind you will always get ur ciga lit up at any appropriate time and places.
More importantly brace up for rigorous studies where plagiarism is a sacrilege, copying and pasting will land you in trouble and proper time management will be a big plus. Save for few lucky ones surviving on part-time job is a myth here as you may not get one any quickly if not at all. Before you resign from where you're working now in Nigeria create a good impression such that if there would be any need to go back there you wouldn't have any problem coz after your studies you may just find out that going back home would be the best option. Did I just say I am packing my stuffs? Good luck fellas.

3 Likes

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by BabaIbada: 4:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
Nice one justwise. You can bring fish of up 20kg if you are fish type but don't try meat. I had all my meat seized in May but the immigration officer told me nothing 's wrong with fish. Bring a maximum of 10 packs of 20 cigarettes (200 sticks), as for lighter, you should be ready to bribe Nigerian immigration to be allowed to bring it on board coz they took mine from me when I was coming here in May but never mind you will always get ur ciga lit up at any appropriate time and places.
More importantly brace up for rigorous studies where plagiarism is a sacrilege, copying and pasting will land you in trouble and proper time management will be a big plus. Save for few lucky ones surviving on part-time job is a myth here as you may not get one any quickly if not at all. Before you resign from where you're working now in Nigeria create a good impression such that if there would be any need to go back there you wouldn't have any problem coz after your studies you may just find out that going back home would be the best option. Did I just say I am packing my stuffs? Good luck fellas.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by bleeper: 4:52pm On Aug 01, 2012
The debate over the relevance of studying in the UK especially at this period when it seems that all the "benefits" have been withdrawn has raged for too long. Truth be told, every prosperous country in the world is "selfish" and "self centered". The UK as a consortium is not an exception. A country that is bereaved of many sources of income safe for tax (unlike our own blessed country) will look for all avenues to milk others dry. Any wonder why the huge disparity between home fees & international fees?

A more pertinent question however is, what fault of theirs is that our own leaders have remained visionless and callous? Why will the citizens continue to export millions of naira in exchange for a few pounds in the pursuit of quality education? These and many more questions come to mind.

Summarily, what options do students have to get quality education? In my opinion, the standard of education in the UK remains relatively high. Our affinity with them from pre-independence days means less cultural shock for most students and the ease of social integration fostered by the presence of many Nigerians make it a preferred destination spot for most students.

My candid advice to would-be student, get in, acquire your education and come back to mother land. UK does not have much for International Students just now!

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by FutureDon(m): 5:02pm On Aug 01, 2012
UNLEASHED:

You've said it all bro, God bless you. The recent immigration measures on student visa won't adversely affect their well-rated educational standards.

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
Joe Nketo: Pls nairalist direct me on how to get international passport I hope to study in Cyprus
1. It's nairaland.
2. Go to immigration in obalende,ikoyi lagos for International Passport.
3. Keep your dream up about studying in Cyprus.

All the best.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by FutureDon(m): 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
tissot84:

The tin wey dey vex me self na the English Test.
They just dey use style CHOP MY AW MONEY.
BABA WON MA RUN DOWN

Get your facts right, some Universities in US and Canada demands proof of English Language proficiency from prospective Students. Let me ask politely, have you ever been to the UK before? you seem to know everything about that Country smiley
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by swiftycool(m): 5:27pm On Aug 01, 2012
Sir P!:

It means police may catch u & ur peeps in UK for wearing those Aba made designer imposters clothes! Simples grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations / Nigerian Woman Arrested By Indian Police, With Her 2 Children, Cries Out (video) / Coca-Cola Truck Kills Schoolgirl In Anambra (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.