Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,243 members, 7,829,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK (21797 Views)

5 Things You Should Considered Before Coming To Study In The UK / Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by heryyy(m): 9:35pm On Aug 02, 2012
JUSTWISE WHAT ABOUT THE HARDSHIP THEY ARE COMING HERE TO FACE YOU SHOULD ADVICE THEM ON THAT TOO COS U ONLY PUT UP THE GOOD SIDES,PLEASE DON'T MISLEAD MOST PEOPLE ON HERE,WE ARE BOTH IN THE UK AND U KNOW HOW TOUGH IT IS....REMEMBER NOT ALL STUDENTS COMING HERE HAVE PARENTS WHO WILL SHOWER THEM WITH MONEY.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 02, 2012
heryyy: [size=15pt]JUSTWISE WHAT ABOUT THE HARDSHIP THEY ARE COMING HERE TO FACE YOU SHOULD ADVICE THEM ON THAT TOO COS U ONLY PUT UP THE GOOD SIDES,PLEASE DON'T MISLEAD MOST PEOPLE ON HERE,WE ARE BOTH IN THE UK AND U KNOW HOW TOUGH IT IS....REMEMBER NOT ALL STUDENTS COMING HERE HAVE PARENTS WHO WILL SHOWER THEM WITH MONEY.[/size]

Justwise isn't misleading anybody.PERIOD!. I don't know where you got the idea that people on this forum think life as a student in the uk is rosy and that money is easily made. There is nowhere in the world honest money is easily made, except stolen funds or dirty money. Even that requires some hard work. We are under no illusions about how tough or easy it is but we are required to do all it takes to succeed in life. That's why I'm coming to the UK to study and that's why most students are coming over too. To make meaning out of our lives and make the necessary sacrifices required to get to the top.That's the spirit.

2 Likes

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by vicoloni(m): 10:09pm On Aug 02, 2012
Thanks everyone, your contributions have been very helpful.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 10:39pm On Aug 02, 2012
heryyy: [size=15pt]JUSTWISE WHAT ABOUT THE HARDSHIP THEY ARE COMING HERE TO FACE YOU SHOULD ADVICE THEM ON THAT TOO COS U ONLY PUT UP THE GOOD SIDES,PLEASE DON'T MISLEAD MOST PEOPLE ON HERE,WE ARE BOTH IN THE UK AND U KNOW HOW TOUGH IT IS....REMEMBER NOT ALL STUDENTS COMING HERE HAVE PARENTS WHO WILL SHOWER THEM WITH MONEY.[/size]

If you were honest with your student visa application then you will not face hardship when you get to the UK, but you lied about the money you never had and borrowed money to build your account just to get a visa then hardship is your birth right when you get to the UK.

Happy now?
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 10:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
Donxavier:

Justwise isn't misleading anybody.PERIOD!. I don't know where you got the idea that people on this forum think life as a student in the uk is rosy and that money is easily made. There is nowhere in the world honest money is easily made, except stolen funds or dirty money. Even that requires some hard work. We are under no illusions about how tough or easy it is but we are required to do all it takes to succeed in life. That's why I'm coming to the UK to study and that's why most students are coming over too. To make meaning out of our lives and make the necessary sacrifices required to get to the top.That's the spirit.

Don't mind him, why would anybody go to the UK to study if you can't afford it? If you or your parent don't have millions needed to study and survive in the UK then don't risk it, don't go and use 'build' bank account to get a visa then travel to the UK with no money.

£7200 or £9000 required maintenance money is more than enough for any responsible student to survive in the UK but if you spent your money on unnecessary things then depression will become your middle name.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 10:51pm On Aug 02, 2012

Did you remember this thread in 2010? https://www.nairaland.com/397599/how-bright-bleak-overstaying-visiting/3#5571823

I thought you claimed to know how to play the UK system? What happened now?
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by zacky006: 12:36am On Aug 03, 2012
pls house i need guidance on how to go about this, A brother of mine want to further his studies in Uk and he graduated with a third class in 2011 just completed his NYSC, pls can someone in the house help me with the procedure involved?
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by FutureDon(m): 4:13am On Aug 03, 2012
justwise:

If you were honest with your student visa application then you will not face hardship when you get to the UK, but you lied about the money you never had and borrowed money to build your account just to get a visa then hardship is your birth right when you get to the UK.

Happy now?

Exactly what I was about to say. It's either he lied about the money or he had no REAL intention of studying in the UK, just looking for ways to 'ja comot'.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Nobody: 5:38am On Aug 03, 2012
justwise:

Don't mind him, why would anybody go to the UK to study if you can't afford it? If you or your parent don't have millions needed to study and survive in the UK then don't risk it, don't go and use 'build' bank account to get a visa then travel to the UK with no money.

£7200 or £9000 required maintenance money is more than enough for any responsible student to survive in the UK but if you spent your money on unnecessary things then depression will become your middle name.

grin grin grin
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by DaBeaver(m): 11:35am On Aug 03, 2012
@Justwise; thanks for your insightful responses. Lemme just hit U up straight with my challenge. I'm supposed to be studying in the UK this September in a school in West London and my tuition is almost GBP14,000. All I have is about GBP22,500. How well do you think I'll fare for a year (feeding and accommodation, basically)? Would it be cheaper/better for me to opt for hostel or off-campus accommodation? Also, I know this might sound like a redundant question, but with the new law in place, won't i be able to work at all (reason being that I wouldn't like to call home for money throughout my stay). Thanks.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 11:46am On Aug 03, 2012
DaBeaver: @Justwise; thanks for your insightful responses. Lemme just hit U up straight with my challenge. I'm supposed to be studying in the UK this September in a school in West London and my tuition is almost GBP14,000. All I have is about GBP22,500. How well do you think I'll fare for a year (feeding and accommodation, basically)? Would it be cheaper/better for me to opt for hostel or off-campus accommodation? Also, I know this might sound like a redundant question, but with the new law in place, won't i be able to work at all (reason being that I wouldn't like to call home for money throughout my stay). Thanks.

If you chose university outside London you will save yourself at least £3000 in fees and maintenance money. London is a expensive there is no doubt about that, not a place for a starter with limited fund.

Yes you can work 20hrs during school term and full time during the holidays
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by DaBeaver(m): 11:54am On Aug 03, 2012
justwise:

If you chose university outside London you will save yourself at least £3000 in fees and maintenance money. London is a expensive there is no doubt about that, not a place for a starter with limited fund.

Yes you can work 20hrs during school term and full time during the holidays

Thanks for your response, but you weren't very clear on if you think that amount will sustain me. As it is, I have already chosen the school, and it is in West London, so? Thanks.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 12:20pm On Aug 03, 2012
DaBeaver:

Thanks for your response, but you weren't very clear on if you think that amount will sustain me. As it is, I have already chosen the school, and it is in West London, so? Thanks.

The £9000 maintenance money will sustain you if you spent within your means, with 20hrs a wk job you will not have any prob surviving.

1 Like

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 04, 2012
justwise:

If you have the stipulated amount stated in student visa rule then you will be ok. If your school is in London then its £9000 a yr and if your school is outside London its £7200.
thank you bro
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by claremont(m): 2:03pm On Aug 05, 2012
Personally, I would not advice anyone to come and study in the UK for now. I would rather advice them to go to Canada, US, New Zealand and maybe Australia to pursue their studies. The UK is now officially unattractive to international students. The only people who still choose the UK for studies are those who have financiers other than themselves.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 2:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
claremont: Personally, I would not advice anyone to come and study in the UK for now. I would rather advice them to go to Canada, US, N[b]ew Zealand and maybe Australia to pursue their studies. The UK is now officially unattractive to international students. The only people who still choose the UK for studies are those who have financiers other than themselves.
[/b]

Have to agree with you on that.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by phlamy(m): 1:46pm On Aug 08, 2012
I really hope this would be useful.For those going to the UK for sept. 2012/2013 session

https://www.nairaland.com/1012773/those-going-uk-studies-sept.2012
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Danyl(m): 5:10am On Aug 15, 2012
@justwise,am new to dis uk thread but i want to ask 1questn. Is it true that college students are no more allowed to work except during vacations...
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 6:37am On Aug 15, 2012
Danyl: @justwise,am new to dis uk thread but i want to ask 1questn. Is it true that college students are no more allowed to work except during vacations...

That affects those studying in private colleges, i'm not sure if they are allowed to work during the holiday.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Danyl(m): 12:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
@justwise, but those who are in public colleges are they allowed to work....?
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 12:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
Danyl: @justwise, but those who are in public colleges are they allowed to work....?

Yes for about 10hrs a week during term time.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Dharkchild: 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
Danyl: @justwise, but those who are in public colleges are they allowed to work....?

20 hrs a week and full time on holidays, check the ukba tier 4 guideline for more info.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by henrychubayo: 12:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
justwise:

Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by henrychubayo: 12:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
justwise:

justwise:

Justwise, i think you need to open a thread here about student visa application in australia. I have not seen it here before and so i guess it does not exit here though its very important as that of canada, us and uk. But if we do have it here, please just page me the thread web address. Or permit me to open it if we don't have it here. Remember its AUSTRALIA STUDENT VISA APPLICATION just like we have for other countries. I guess i may need it soon. Thanks man. You are doing great job.
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by justwise(m): 6:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
henrychubayo:

Justwise, i think you need to open a thread here about student visa application in australia. I have not seen it here before and so i guess it does not exit here though its very important as that of canada, us and uk. But if we do have it here, please just page me the thread web address. Or permit me to open it if we don't have it here. Remember its AUSTRALIA STUDENT VISA APPLICATION just like we have for other countries. I guess i may need it soon. Thanks man. You are doing great job.

Will look into that
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by Livas2: 2:53pm On Aug 18, 2012
Justwise d bst admin..i dey feel u die
Re: Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK by deevuu(m): 7:00pm On Aug 18, 2012
Sup guys...i would like to know if normal food items would be allowd into the UK...like garri...egusi...etc (i know dis might sound funny...)buh please indulge me abeg(seriously) Thanks! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? / Lagos Medium And High Capacity Buses To Begin Operations / Nigerian Woman Arrested By Indian Police, With Her 2 Children, Cries Out (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.