Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,548 members, 7,819,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists (12082 Views)

Congregation Chases Pastor From Church For Impregnating Member / Bishop Oyedepo Orders Members To Bring Their Pvcs To Church For Prayers / What Are The Repercussion Of Staying Away From Church For Months? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 10:04am On Aug 03, 2012
philip0906: Atheists are just a bunch on hyprocrites who mill around christians 2 get a lifeline since their belief is not hinged on any tangibles but rather anti(s). . .thats y they r so infatuated about a God they do not believe in.

Atheists do not believe in god. The reason why you see us here is because we have been so much insulted and oppressed by azzholes because of their non-existent god.
These religious azzholes keep telling us that their god will throw us into a lake of fire and that we are fools. This becomes annoying because this discrimination is everywhere; in schools, your fellow religionists tell their children not to play with atheists' children, in politics, christians say that atheists politcians are immoral and at work, atheists are not trusted. All this discrimination because of a non-existent god. Even families disown atheist members.

So when you see us on the internet railing against a non existent god and some of his deluded followers, remember that your fellow religionists oppressed us and pushed us to the internet where there is no oppression. The internet's anonymity gives atheists the freedom they need to express their views and meet each other, which would be difficult in real life.

So when, douchebags like youjust summarize that we are on nairaland because we are hypocrites or because we like talking about god, just realise that you are talking nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 12:09pm On Aug 03, 2012
Evil Brain: OP here.

All you guys claiming that this proves atheism is a religion are completely missing the point.

The thing is that while there is a lot of fraud, deceit and incitement against others going on in the churches, they are some good things happening there as well.

Church (as well as mosques, temple etc) is great place for people to socialize and meet people of like minds. Members of a church form a community and tend to rally together and help each other during hard times. None of this has anything to do with religion of course, its just that humans are social animals and we tend to form herds.

Now atheists being a minority group don't usually get to physically gather and socialize with other atheists due to the oppression and discrimination by religious people. We tend to stay in the closet and therefore before the internet we hardly got to talk to other atheists, share our stories and give/get moral support.

The internet has become our church in the sense that it allows us to meet (anonymously or otherwise) and be a community. There is no bowing down, worshipping or praying going on here. Just people being helping to make each other's lives a little better.
Lol, the atheist now wants religious benefits. Interesting.

I am prepared to wager that atheists really have nothing to hold them them together in gatherings similar to churches. They simply have no higher purpose that can bind them together. Atheists cannot exist without religious people to oppose. The best they can do is troll religious forums and not much more.

If you started having organized meetings, what exactly would you discuss? what code of conduct will bind you together? At best you'll bash religion for the first few meetings then get bored and go home eventually dissolving your organization.

A fellowship of atheists is absolutely useless as it cannot make your lives better in any way - to make your lives better, you have to define what "better" is, then lay out a code of conduct that helps you achieve your "better".

Immediately you have done this, there will arise defaulters and you must discipline them somehow. thus leading to more discord because some people won't agree with the severity of your punishment and will break away to form their own sects.

Also there will be hypocrites because there will definitely be people who want to reap the benefits without keeping the rules.
Before too long, what you have is just another dirty religion.

All atheists are good for in the current age is just to act as independent noise-makers bound by nothing of any particular worth.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I am prepared to wager that atheists really have nothing to hold them them together in gatherings similar to churches. They simply have no higher purpose that can bind them together. Atheists cannot exist without religious people to oppose. The best they can do is troll religious forums and not much more.

If you started having organized meetings, what exactly would you discuss? what code of conduct will bind you together? At best you'll bash religion for the first few meetings then get bored and go home eventually dissolving your organization.

A fellowship of atheists is absolutely useless as it cannot make your lives better in any way - to make your lives better, you have to define what "better" is, then lay out a code of conduct that helps you achieve your "better".

Immediately you have done this, there will arise defaulters and you must discipline them somehow. thus leading to more discord because some people won't agree with the severity of your punishment and will break away to form their own sects.

Also there will be hypocrites because there will definitely be people who want to reap the benefits without keeping the rules.

All atheists are good for in the current age is just to act as independent noise-makers bound by nothing of any particular worth.

This is an argument out of ignorance. It is because of religious people like you that atheist organisations exist in the first place. On large scale, if majority of people in the world were atheists, there would be no need to talk about god in the first place. We would live our lives without God and no one forcing god on us.

Atheist organisations exist for main reasons that all have to do with the oppressive nature of religion;

1) To be PR for atheism. This is to let people off that stereotype caused by religion that atheists are devils or immoral or evil.
2) To stop discrimination against atheists and help fellow members support each other/ advice atheists on how to deal with oppression from family and society
3) To always remind government that there exists a separation of church and state, that religion should not forced through laws on atheists.

This is an argument from ignorance as your not an atheist. Athiest organisations are always lively. Atheists and fellow members discuss about science, logic, rationality, philosopgy and their personal stories of religious oppression. Atheists also discuss new ways to combat and survive religious oppression. Atheists also discuss about athistic nations like Japan and whether thir culture is impacted by atheism or traditional religion.

You sir, are very ignorant.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by suyu: 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2012
many mind you that are not Nigerian at all but crazy akata's
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 1:35pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

This is an argument out of ignorance. It is because of religious people like you that atheist organisations exist in the first place. On large scale, if majority of people in the world were atheists, there would be no need to talk about god in the first place. We would live our lives without God and no one forcing god on us.

Atheist organisations exist for main reasons that all have to do with the oppressive nature of religion;

1) To be PR for atheism. This is to let people off that stereotype caused by religion that atheists are devils or immoral or evil.
2) To stop discrimination against atheists and help fellow members support each other/ advice atheists on how to deal with oppression from family and society
3) To always remind government that there exists a separation of church and state, that religion should not forced through laws on atheists.
I don't really see how this answer addresses the point I was making

This is an argument from ignorance as your not an atheist. Athiest organisations are always lively. Atheists and fellow members discuss about science, logic, rationality, philosopgy and their personal stories of religious oppression. Atheists also discuss new ways to combat and survive religious oppression. Atheists also discuss about athistic nations like Japan and whether thir culture is impacted by atheism or traditional religion.

This is an argument from ignorance as your not a Christian. Christian organisations are always lively. Christians and fellow members discuss about science, logic, rationality, philosophy and their personal stories of religious oppression. Christians also discuss new ways to combat and survive religious oppression. Christians also discuss about Christian nations like England and whether their culture is impacted by Christianity or traditional religion.

Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 2:07pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I don't really see how this answer addresses the point I was making

Denial. My point showed why atheist organizations exist and how they make ateists' life better (supporting members who have had opression)

My point debunked your above quote.

Mr_Anony:
This is an argument from ignorance as your not a Christian. Christian organisations are always lively. Christians and fellow members discuss about science, logic, rationality, philosophy and their personal stories of religious oppression. Christians also discuss new ways to combat and survive religious oppression. Christians also discuss about Christian nations like England and whether their culture is impacted by Christianity or traditional religion.

See this ignoramus. You cant use my argument against me because I never made a similar claim that christians have no fundamental reason to form organizations or that christian fellowships are "absolutely useless" like you did about atheists.

You are a desperate fool
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by PastorAIO: 2:13pm On Aug 03, 2012
Me, I cannot stand marmite. There is no taste in the world that I revile more.

However, there is no way in the world that I'm going to get together with other people that do not like Marmite to form a club. It is ridiculous to form a club based on a negative such as what you don't like, or what you don't believe.

However imagine that the government now issued a decree that everybody must eat Marmite for breakfast, and if they don't the penalty is death. In that scenario I can well imagine all marmite haters in the world getting together to form clubs to fight the Pro-marmite People.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 2:22pm On Aug 03, 2012
Pastor AIO: Me, I cannot stand marmite. There is no taste in the world that I revile more.

However, there is no way in the world that I'm going to get together with other people that do not like Marmite to form a club. It is ridiculous to form a club based on a negative such as what you don't like, or what you don't believe.

However imagine that the government now issued a decree that everybody must eat Marmite for breakfast, and if they don't the penalty is death. In that scenario I can well imagine all marmite haters in the world getting together to form clubs to fight the Pro-marmite People.

Mr Anony, there is a lot you can learn from Pastor AIO's quote.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 2:31pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

Mr Anony, there is a lot you can learn from Pastor AIO's quote.

The difference is that the country you live in has made no such laws
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 2:33pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

Denial. My point showed why atheist organizations exist and how they make ateists' life better (supporting members who have had opression)
My point debunked your above quote.
See this ignoramus. You cant use my argument against me because I never made a similar claim that christians have no fundamental reason to form organizations or that christian fellowships are "absolutely useless" like you did about atheists.
You are a desperate fool

I refuse to be brought down to your level by trading insults with you
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:

The difference is that the country you live in has made no such laws

You choose to be literal when it suits you. The point remains that oppression leads to resistance.

-There had to be a fight for evolution to be taught in schools
-There has to be a fight to remove prayer and bibles from public schools
-There had to be a fight against blashphemy laws.

Sit down and think.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 2:40pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I refuse to be brought down to your level by trading insults with you

You were debunked werent you? grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by blaqoracle: 2:44pm On Aug 03, 2012
for those of you that still hold on to christianity as the only way to heaven then you must read this: christianity is the post slavery traumatic disorder resulting from colonial masters' conceptualization and perfection of their continued dominion of those they feel are subhuman: african, indians and arab. Every true african will never accept christianity as a religion because it continues remind us that we are slave, subhuman and conpuered.

1 Like

Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

If this bloviating weasel had bothered to read the post he was quoting, perhaps he would have seen that was anony's point in the first place!

Mr_Anony:

I am prepared to wager that atheists really have nothing to hold them them together in gatherings similar to churches. They simply have no higher purpose that can bind them together. [size=18pt]Atheists cannot exist without religious people to oppose. The best they can do is troll religious forums and not much more.[/size]

Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 03, 2012
Pastor AIO: Me, I cannot stand marmite. There is no taste in the world that I revile more.

Except of course no such government decree exists. Religion is a personal choice so is the decision to eat marmite.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

You choose to be literal when it suits you. The point remains that oppression leads to resistance.

-There had to be a fight for evolution to be taught in schools
-There has to be a fight to remove prayer and bibles from public schools
-There had to be a fight against blashphemy laws.

Sit down and think.

dumb.

1. No such fight existed. Infact the present fight now is atheists insisting that creationism NOT be taught in schools.
2. Why remove prayer and bibles from public schools? Isnt that fighting perceived intolerance with more virulent intolerance? Why cant prayer be an option that children of atheists are free to opt out of? Why do my kids have to lose the right to pray in schools simply because a minority are not comfortable with it?
3. I'm sorry but direct this nonsense to the islamic boards. Christians didnt put blasphemy laws in place.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 03, 2012
blaqoracle: for those of you that still hold on to christianity as the only way to heaven then you must read this: christianity is the post slavery traumatic disorder resulting from colonial masters' conceptualization and perfection of their continued dominion of those they feel are subhuman: african, indians and arab. Every true african will never accept christianity as a religion because it continues remind us that we are slave, subhuman and conpuered.

huh? and atheism is what?
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 2:59pm On Aug 03, 2012
davidylan:

If this bloviating weasel had bothered to read the post he was quoting, perhaps he would have seen that was anony's point in the first place!

As usual, you are an epic fail. Learn the difference between atheists and atheist organisations that make the difference between my comment and Mr Anony's comment.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2012
davidylan:

dumb.

1. No such fight existed. Infact the present fight now is atheists insisting that creationism NOT be taught in schools.

Ignorance is a disease. Creationism is only taught in elective bible studies/religious studies. Please note the banning of evolution;

Until the late 19th century, creation was taught in nearly all schools in the United States, often from the position that the literal interpretation of the Bible is inerrant. With the widespread acceptance of the theory of evolution in the 1860s after being first introduced in 1859, and developments in other fields such as geology and astronomy, public schools began to teach science that was reconciled with Christianity by most people, but considered by a number of early fundamentalists to be directly at odds with the Bible.
In the aftermath of World War I, the Fundamentalist–Modernist Controversy brought a surge of opposition to the idea of evolution, and following the campaigning of William Jennings Bryan several states introduced legislation prohibiting the teaching of evolution. By 1925, such legislation was being considered in 15 states, and passed in some states, such as Tennessee. The American Civil Liberties Union offered to defend anyone who wanted to bring a test case against one of these laws. John T. Scopes accepted, and he taught his Tennessee class evolution in defiance of the Butler Act. The textbook in question was Hunter's Civic Biology (1914).
The trial was widely publicized by H. L. Mencken among others, and is commonly referred to as the Scopes Monkey Trial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_and_evolution_in_public_education_in_the_United_States#Early_law

davidylan:
2. Why remove prayer and bibles from public schools? Isnt that fighting perceived intolerance with more virulent intolerance? Why cant prayer be an option that children of atheists are free to opt out of? Why do my kids have to lose the right to pray in schools simply because a minority are not comfortable with it?
3. I'm sorry but direct this nonsense to the islamic boards. Christians didnt put blasphemy laws in place.

2) Clearly, what I meant was the mandatory prayer and bible reading that should be removed. Children can pray in private in public schools and the bible used in religious studies.

3) You realise that there were blasphemy laws in the West, they just became obsolete?
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2012
davidylan:

huh? and atheism is what?

a simple disbelief. dumbazz
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by PastorAIO: 3:17pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

a simple disbelief. dumbazz

Actually I think everybody on this thread is making the same point. The only problem is that we are so used to fighting each other that we are even using what we agree on to bash each other.

Atheists are organised and getting more organised. This is a fact that we all agree on.

People don't organise themselves around a negative, but rather they do so for a positive objective. I believe we all agree on this.

Atheists are organised with the objective of fighting religious institutions. Both atheists and christians seem to be saying this but can't accept it when it is the other person saying it.

If a christian says atheists.org couldn't exist without Religion or God, the Atheists get vexed and disagree.
Then they'll turn around and say that the reason for atheist.org is because of oppressive religions. Then the christians will disagree.

Its a funny dance.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 3:22pm On Aug 03, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Actually I think everybody on this thread is making the same point. The only problem is that we are so used to fighting each other that we are even using what we agree on to bash each other.

Atheists are organised and getting more organised. This is a fact that we all agree on.

People don't organise themselves around a negative, but rather they do so for a positive objective. I believe we all agree on this.

Atheists are organised with the objective of fighting religious institutions. Both atheists and christians seem to be saying this but can't accept it when it is the other person saying it.

If a christian says atheists.org couldn't exist without Religion or God, the Atheists get vexed and disagree.
Then they'll turn around and say that the reason for atheist.org is because of oppressive religions. Then the christians will disagree.

Its a funny dance.

Wrong.

Fact--------------- atheists are getting more vocal and organised against religous intolerance and oppression

Interpretation of the fact;

NL Christians;----Atheist are persecuting God without fear nowadays. They are also bigoted hypocrites who are persecuting religion and christianity.

Atheists;---------Yes, this is good, we are finally making the world more tolerant because we are curbing religious intolerance
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 3:37pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

You were debunked werent you? grin grin grin grin
You don't even know the meaning of the word "debunked" I was just about to reply when i saw that davidlyan had already said most of what I wanted to say. Unlike david, I don't have the patience to engage in childish arguments with you. So carry on with your nonsense.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 3:44pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
You don't even know the meaning of the word "debunked" I was just about to reply when i saw that davidlyan had already said most of what I wanted to say. Unlike david, I don't have the patience to engage in childish arguments with you. So carry on with your nonsense.

Thank you. Davidylan was spouting nonsense.

Tell me, isnt it only a deluded fool that can make this comment?

Mr_Anony:

You cant defend your statements and so you sidestep and run away. shameless
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:
Thank you. Davidylan was spouting nonsense.
Tell me, isnt it only a deluded fool that can make this comment?
You cant defend your statements and so you sidestep and run away. shameless
Wow, you are such a child
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 3:49pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Wow, you are such a child

Here comes the sidestepper!

Defend your statement!

Mr_Anony:

lol
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by plaetton: 4:16pm On Aug 03, 2012
blaqoracle: for those of you that still hold on to christianity as the only way to heaven then you must read this: christianity is the post slavery traumatic disorder resulting from colonial masters' conceptualization and perfection of their continued dominion of those they feel are subhuman: african, indians and arab. Every true african will never accept christianity as a religion because it continues remind us that we are slave, subhuman and conpuered.

Amazing!
This is sooo profound.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

Here comes the sidestepper!
Defend your statement!
lol
Perhaps you should read my statement in context then point out exactly what is flawed in it.

So far, you haven't pointed at anything on particular.
All you've done is say "your statement is deluded! Now defend it!".
Question is, what exactly is wrong with it?
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by plaetton: 4:40pm On Aug 03, 2012

Again it reminds me of when I was a youngster, these bible mission people came to my village to do a crusade.
During the crusade they showed us happy people, Jesus, moses, the prophets , the saints, and regular people blissfully enjoying themselves in heaven. They all wore white glistening garments and where standing on crystal and marble floors.
I was deeply moved. I wanted to go to heaven right there and then. cheesy

However, there was something that struck me as odd, and greatly unsettling to me.
All the people in heaven were white.
There was no single black or non-white person in heaven.
This caused considerable grief to my young and impressionable mind.
A white god, a white son, and a white heaven for white people.

From that point I resolved to prayer harder to god so that he can permit me to enter heaven, even if I was the only black person.

Self-deprecation is an embedded part of the African christian theology.
This probbably accounts for why black christians and churches prayer longer, louder and harder to an uncaring god: to take pity and grant them a tiny bit of the grace which they think god has already granted the white race.

1 Like

Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 03, 2012
Hehehehehehehehehe...............very funny thread grin
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Logicbwoy: 5:32pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Perhaps you should read my statement in context then point out exactly what is flawed in it.

So far, you haven't pointed at anything on particular.
All you've done is say "your statement is deluded! Now defend it!".
Question is, what exactly is wrong with it?

I debunked it with what atheist organisations do but you sidestepped and ran away.
Re: The Internet Has Become A Church For Atheists by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 03, 2012
Religion is the flame the ignorant burns. Keep firing up the ignorance religionists!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oyedepo Slaps-Giving: Court Urged To Dismiss Case / What's Your Prophecy For 2020 / Will Bad People Burn In Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.