Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,670 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. (11598 Views)

National Association Of Unemployed Graduates Openly Invites Trustees And Members / National Association Of Unemployed Graduates (NAUG)To hold 1st Meeting In Lagos / National Association Of Unemployed Graduates(NAUG) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by malele(m): 6:19am On Aug 04, 2012
Guy I did my industrial training in dangote transport in badagry, seriously I don't think that job is good for somebody that spent 5years in university, what can one do if u don't have a job.
Nawah for this couNtry, a country that the university graduates are employed as drivers, how do u expect development.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Agimor(m): 7:57am On Aug 04, 2012
Because he is seeking graduate has a drivers.Lol
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Okijajuju1(m): 9:21am On Aug 04, 2012
duality: After driving truck for 5 years;if care is not taken your may become a miss fit. with serious mid career crisis. forget the pay. where is the career development. the only way you'll enjoy this is if its what you like to do in life. all those speaking in support( okija.., ajenle.. etc) can you take up such job now? after your first degree would you have taken such job? if you had a son with a dream he's been nurturing, you saw him through school, will you love him to take up such job? plz be honest. look, you guys who are fortunate to have a good job/ career path should be grateful to God.

Okija, if you became a truck driver immediately after your schooling; you will not be where you are today. at best maybe chairman truck drivers association.

my take on this is, if you do't love it, don't go for it. their are other opportunities in life. a graduate of computer engineering/ science or elect rather than developing software wants to drive gwongworo!! haba!!. something must be wrong somewhere. the enemy is at work.

let me start out by saying that you made some valid points in your post and thats all I am going to address..

MID Career Crisis: There is no questioning the fact that career development would not come from this line of work for anybody. Infact, its true that much later in life, you are most likely to get depressed.. HOWEver, who are we kidding, most of the people who work in the banking, telecoms and even government did not study related courses. What you fiNd is that they have picked graduates from every and any discipline and placed them in different positions and i dont see hpow career advancement can be achieved for an engineer or pharmacist working in a bank. The truth is that the jobs avaliabLe in the country is never going to be enough to to absord the over 5000 graduates the universities put out everyday.

You asked if I could do the job? Let me tell you a little story about Okija.. Upon graduation, I hopped on a plane and travelled to Canada in search of the better life. I am a Canadain so i didnt have any Visa restrictions on getting a job. I spent 8 months searching for a career fitting job and in that time, the 12 thousand dollars i travelled with had depleted to less than 3 thousand. Guess what?! I started applying for jobs as a supermarket cleaner, security and what have you.. I even considered being a long haul truck driver as they earned more than even office workers.. The only thing that stopped me from being one was the fact that i had to pay over 3000 dollars to learn how to drive a truck and the shitload of certifications i needed before any trucking company would even consider hiring me. Guess what i ended up doing with my BSc!? I was a labourer at construction sites.. I was that guy carrying wood, sweeoping saw dust, cleaning after the workmen were done. Yes sir.. I even saw other Graduates from different countries working menial jobs.. Ask our friends in diaspora here to be honest and tell you, the jobs are not easy to come by.. And its even worse in Nigeria where emphasis has been placed on degrees over technical skills.. So the answer my fried to your question is Yes!!!! Okija did work worse jobs than truck driving after graduation and NYSC. Quote me anywhere, Long and heavy haul truck drivers in the US and Canada make more money than most average Degree holders. Many graduates of fancy disciplines abroad do drive trucks and do other menial jobs to keep up..

Also, many of our so-called graduates are unemployable.. Either by virtue of the courses the studied, their grades, their age (e.g a 35yr old BSc holder) or their general whatever.. So would you rather be that unemployed graduate with no job and no real prospect of getting one or would you rather be that Graduate truck driver earning some good money and if the person is a go-getter, could be doing some long distance learning courses to upgrade their degrees?!

To all the young graduates out there, my advice is to grab this opportunity while still searching for a job and also building yourself with other professional courses. No employer wiLl employ a graduate who has no added experience whatsoever to their CV in over 3years..
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by olabiz2010: 9:43am On Aug 04, 2012
Crucify me, despise me, but i must say it because i have witnessed it several times. I can still remember vividly when i was still working with NBC(coaca-cola) our Commercial Manager, Unit Sales Manager and my immediate boss(Sales Manager) all joined the company as a truck drivers and to add salt to their injuries, they only have one truck boy whenever they are routing out, when they got to their outlet, they have to option than to join the truck boy in offloading full bottles and loading back empties bottles. As the fate will have it, they are now big men in the company today. It may sound harsh for a graduate who spent 4 to 7years in school to be working as a truck driver but the FACT is that when their is opening in a company, they have better chance than the outsider because they are already familiar with the company through your department and you will promoted. You will only see NBC and 7up( i don't know about others) advert only if their is no qualify staff for such position in a particular region. Though being a truck driver is not the best for a graduate but i bet it's a BIG ticket to enter into BiG company for someone who doesn't have better offer
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by firmcy(m): 10:05am On Aug 04, 2012
undecided mayb our universities will strt doin a 5yrs cos on driving.....lols[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Okijajuju1(m): 10:12am On Aug 04, 2012
tampa1871:

We have many Nigerian University Graduates driving Taxis in America, even people with Masters Degrees, why not in Nigeria?

I met several nigerian graduates flipping burgers at mikky dees and Tim Hortons.. Trust naija for show.. This is only our general attitude of looking down at artisans thats biting them now. When we see a taxi driver, we treat him like shit. When we meet a bricklayer or carpenter, we treat them like shit so these graduates are afraid of being looked upon as worthless hence their relctance to take up the offer. All those morons saying quit ur job and go apply should just shut up, the job are for those seeking not for those employed. Life is not a bed of roses and the earlier we realize that a man can turn truck driving into a respectable profession, the better.. All thats hunting people when they think driving trucks are the images of aboki tanker drivers flooding into their heads... Lol
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by AjanleKoko: 10:48am On Aug 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

I met several nigerian graduates flipping burgers at mikky dees and Tim Hortons.. Trust naija for show.. This is only our general attitude of looking down at artisans thats biting them now. When we see a taxi driver, we treat him like shit. When we meet a bricklayer or carpenter, we treat them like shit so these graduates are afraid of being looked upon as worthless hence their relctance to take up the offer. All those morons saying quit ur job and go apply should just shut up, the job are for those seeking not for those employed. Life is not a bed of roses and the earlier we realize that a man can turn truck driving into a respectable profession, the better.. All thats hunting people when they think driving trucks are the images of aboki tanker drivers flooding into their heads... Lol

I'm sure people who aren't lazy will apply sharp sharp.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by emalekuo(m): 11:06am On Aug 04, 2012
Can any body tell me jobs that are for non graduates? Its because our educational system is poor if not everyone needs education to a level where he needs no more. If the pay is right any body can do any job its only a matter of choice. If you know the COST OF A NEW TRUCK you no go give one drunkard make he drive.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
I honestly didn't want to comment but Okija & Co have done gud job, u can start very small and arrive BIG I tell you, I am a living witness. Before the end of d year, Dangote would be recruiting Managers and Supervisors for his expanded businesses, and I'm sure those inside already with appropriate qualifications would be considred first due to loyalty and their own contributions.
My advice is for those HND and B.Sc graduates looking for jobs, plz if u can drive a truck, trust me, not many graduates can --- hurriedly apply for this job and build on ur career from there. The vacancy is not for most unemployed Graduates, afterall, not all Graduates can drive Long Haul Trucks. Thanks to Dangote and Goodluck Guys
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 04, 2012
Jenams: pride or ₪O pride! Africa mentality or not! Show ♍ε wit proof, where in †ЂΞ world degrees r awarded in truck driving! Dnt reason wit Ūя̅ smelly anus bra

It is comments like this that made most men in our society not to assist any unemployed graduates financially when there are lots of things they can do to earn a living. And by the way, I heard the number of submitted applications from Graduates for that job has exceeded expectation, hence, it has unofficially closed even if ur application goes in. They would have to conduct aptitute test to trim down the numbers - dey there dey complain
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
lastpage: I dont blame Dangote for TWO REASONS:

1.) The man himself is just a "rich illiterate"! he does not know nor appreciate the value of education.
Like it is said, "Any fool can have money".
I dont mind people being rich (like Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey) when they use their brain and do it legitimately but we all know that in Nigeria, being rich is akin to being the Devil himself.

Ask him (Dangote) why each time any of his "blood sucking Trucks" swerves into and kills some people, the drivers simply disappear, according to instructions? Rumor has it that he uses the victims blood/soul for you know what!
Again, if we live in a sane society where laws are upheld, the likes of Dangote would rot in prison for charges ranging from price fixing, breach of competition rules, murder/manslaughter, public endangerment, e.t.c.
Is this not the same man that continually makes people homeless by "fixing the price" of Cement?
but hey, this is Nigeria now, anything goes, right?

2.) Well, if not that we have "cursed leaders" in government and policy positions, how can some Eediots not be thanking Dangote for providing jobs for millions of UN-employed Youths?
One of the primary responsibilities of a national Government and a President indeed, is to provide employment opportunities for its citizens. This is one issue that will make or mar the Obama administration, for example.

This does not stop or hinder self-employment and they are not mutually exclusive.
But when Government is so misguided like we have, and the citizens so confused and brain-washed like we are, we live in a state of stupor, wondering endlessly through day-to-day and thanking God that at least we have seen the next day-light!
I guess next, we will thank Dangote for putting up and advert requiring PhD holders to come and apply to be his Mai-Gaurd, afterall, HE IS PROVIDING JOBS FOR MILLIONS OF UN-EMPLOYED YOUTHS! grin grin

Dont blame Dangote that much, bl;ame the system that made people like him feed fat on our national wealth, just for his own pockets!

Any "rich thief" can turn the masses into slaves and still be seen a s being benevolent...yes now!

BTW: if all you wanted and dreamt of becoming is a Truck driver and you went to a UNIVERSITY for all these years, then you need to have your head properly examined! grin grin[b]
Because you dont have a job NOW doesnot mean you should dehumanize yourself and reduce your "self-worth" to NOTHING?[/b]

Go and look at Truck drivers in Europe and America, they are at best, Primary Six level of education but they are damn good at driving their Trucks!
You dont need to be a Graduate to Drive a truck, ...when will Nigerians grow out of this slave mentality?
Who would do the Graduate jobs like "Research", if all Graduates now do is drive Trucks? Jeezuz Christ!! shocked shocked

Save ur breath Bro, d job offer is closed and those UN-employed graduates who applied have already commenced fasting and prayers to be short-listed, they are not like some of u with good paying jobs, and some have been out of school for years now. So plz respect their strugle for survival
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by mikolo80: 2:54pm On Aug 04, 2012
occam:

Aliko Dangote studied business at Cairo University so I’m very curious why you call him a “rich illiterate”.

Most of your points are riddled with sentiment that does not jive with reality. People have a choice to apply for the job or not. Your personal dislike for Dangote is irrelevant to the issue.

Your degree does not define who you are; rather it’s a tool to help achieve your dreams. Don’t let it become a burden and cloud your judgment. A graduate is only a subject matter expert who is expected to apply critical thinking and analytical skills to solving problems. Period! We really don’t understand this.

In Nigeria, graduates are seen as special breeds that can only work in offices and should not “get their hands dirty” This mentality is killing this nation and we need to get rid of it right now. Your comment reflects the type of mindset that is holding Nigeria back.

Driving a truck in Nigeria is risky and not a great career but do you have any jobs for our unemployed graduates?
ITS OFFICIAL I NO SABI SPEAK ENGLISH.SEE AS YOU PUT D SENTIMENTAL CHAP ON HIGH JUMP.UR HEAD DE DIA
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by xcuggsm(m): 6:20pm On Aug 04, 2012
What are my people complaining about? A degree holder working as a truck driver?

That's a lot better than in UPS (United Parcel Service) where a sizable percentage of their okada despatch drivers are graduates!

Once the pay is good! Why not! My younger brother lives in Calgary, Canada where he drives a long haul truck for a living .He makes good money there and has made some impressive investments back here in Nigeria..

I believe that what we are lacking in Nigeria is just DIGNITY OF LABOUR which of course goes with a GOOD PAY. If Dangote can contribute to the development of this culture in Nigeria, then all hail to him.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2012
sleeky8: Dere is a signature on NL i luv so much "peeps u meet here make DUMB comments wit SMART fones".
U r unemployd yet u put dwn a job cus it has 2 do wit bin a truck driver? Hw stupid can u get? Abeg dnt apply kip stayin at hme waitin 4 nepa 2 bring lite and beggin ur mama 4 100naira 2 use 4 NL. Idiat
oboy I feel y jare
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by sleeky8(m): 12:54am On Aug 05, 2012
mitwitdot:
oboy I feel y jare

ma chairman i c u
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by SisiKill1: 7:47am On Aug 05, 2012
Okija_juju:

Actually, the HND and other qualifications he has requested from applicants for the driver position is not because you cant drive without one. I believe that any m'oron thats tall enough to reach the pedals and has hand-eye cordination can drive anything, however, he is looking to bring professionalism and a certian type of discipline that comes with graduates into a profession that has been left to charlatans.

If you feel that you are better off than being a driver, do not apply. However, I am just about to start a haulage company myself and one of the greatest headaches I am facing is finding drivers that can be both professional and technical. A driver that wouldnt act like a riff-raff. A driver that would be able to bring some form of sanity to the profession. I dont need BSc holders, however if there is a BSc holder without a job, I see no reason why they cant build a career as a long haul driver.

Go and see what these Charlatans did to over 500 of his old trucks in Calabar..

This man has a vision for the future of Nigeria, and soon, many people will wish they were amongst the benefactors of this program when a driver would need reference and some certificates to get a job.

AND JUST SO YOU KNOW, depending on the distance, the material being hauled and the company, a truck driver makes on the average 400,000 Naira per month!!

While I agree with you about the professionalism factor, I still wonder. . Why do they have to be graduates? What happened to training and orientation? How do you expect people to do things which falls in line with the corporate culture if they know jack about it? These People are hired and automatically put to work (especially if the work is one of the so called lowly roles) without anyone telling them what is expected of them and then we wonder why they don't act professional.

I also think there is a disconnect between people working in the none corporate sectors of an organization and the organization itself. Because these people aren't doing the paper pushing jobs, they are often sidelined, dismissed . .not made to feel like what they do is important (which it really is. . .can you imagine a day without the cleaners, the drivers, the guards, the washermen, the cooks etc) If an organization let's all its workers know that they are all very important inspite of whatever position they hold, if it instils in them a sense of pride for whatever role they play in that organization. . . I assure you, they will put their all in it.

In my opinion. . .Running a business like marriage is a two way street. You treat people well and you get the best out of them but when you treat them like they are nothing but an ordinary, lowly driver with nothing much to offer. . .don't cry foul when they acts like an ordinary, lowly driver with nothing to offer.

Bottom line you don't need a first class graduate to get the professionalism you want.. when you can turn a dropout into a professional by treating him like a first class human being.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Mustay(m): 9:39am On Aug 14, 2012
tampa1871:
We have many Nigerian University Graduates driving Taxis in America, even people with Masters Degrees, why not in Nigeria?

When hunger wire dem, dem go find something do. Still doesn't exclude the fact that some of these jobs are 'misfits' for their education. I understand the point of not looking down on some things we think are 'menial' but if your discipline or knowledge can't be properly applied to an area or job, e no make sense.

Except opportunities are extremely minute and you lack a career path, this is not the kinda job to 'build' a career in. I consider it a temporary job (to keep body and soul together) and a pathway to get something better. You just enjoy the experience while it lasts.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Navalsadiq(m): 10:22am On Aug 14, 2012
Dangote is suppose to be the biggest employer of labour bt he is nt.now he is seeking to employ graduate as drivers.well for those of u who dont hav value for wot u went through in school u can go ahead and apply to become a professional driver.the federal government has given him the sole license to do wot ever he feels like doing that's why he does not respect our nigerian graduates.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by EdDave(m): 10:35am On Aug 15, 2012
Ppl who don't knw abt haulage will just keep talking. D fact dat Dangote even has a driver s academy means he intends to bring professionalism into the industry.
They just sent me a mail.won't open on my BB tho'. Any1 else has a mail. Let's know what they have for us.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by sawyer89: 1:35pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hmm! Nigerians complain a lot, we do more of talking and less of action.Sometimes I wish we were like Bolt and Mourinho;who talk but match their talk with results.Most Nigerians act otherwise!Many people condemning Dangote here will surprisingly be the first to apply for the job opening! Bunch of hypocrites.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by Mustay(m): 2:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/haulage

The nearest people go for is a BSc in Transport Management, logistics or whatever the institution has termed it

Jenams: Dangote shud be called τ̅o order by NUC, FG & other university regulatory bodies in niaja cos he is abt τ̅o devaluate our nigerian degrees b4 †ЂΞ eyes of †ЂΞ world! .
NUC ke? They're already graduates nau! Dangote ain't offering them any degrees btw.
Re: Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. by emalekuo(m): 9:05am On Aug 17, 2012
Na by force to apply? Graduates receive 60,000 for white collar jobs and I bet you these drivers would collect more than 100k and may be insurance. If he says only OND nigerians would ask can Bsc apply? So if you interested its up to you. Why can't you complain about the contract staffing abnormality where someone you do the same job is a staff and you a contract staff, he takes 300k and you collect 80k.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Workplace Politics You Should Know About & How To Manage Them / Urgent Advice/help Needed On Collecting My Salary From My Former Employer / KPMG Aptitude Test 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.