Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,824 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. (1855 Views)

Nigerians Tear Twitter Apart Over Mugabe Marriage Proposal To Barrack / Who Would You Suggest To Be The EFCC Boss Under Buhari? See My Suggestion / Dapolam Accepts Defeat, speaks to Nairalanders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 5:37pm On Aug 03, 2012
I got the quotations below from an earlier post today concerning Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and our Senators. https://www.nairaland.com/1007665/okonjo-iweala-senators-focus-project-implementation

bashr8: its good we are all getting on the same page , i said it before rather than throwing lies , insults and black mail up and down lets focus on knowing what projects are on going, which ones have been completed and how much is being spent, if we reduce our insults and lies on GEJ nd NOI we can all focus on getting and sharing those information.

edicolove: The really sad thing about NL is that it could actually have been a very revolutionary and useful tool to move Nigeria forward. But unfortunately, it has become a we against them, pull them down campaign from day one. we could have all join hands to put pressure on our leaders to perform but all that has been lost in the "our car is bigger than your car" mentality. Like I have always said, the president should be duly criticized but not insulted or blackmailed. They are 2 different things. I challenge people like kobojunkie, if you truly love Nigeria, let's come together and put up a tool that Nigerians can use to monitor work done by their politicians. A sincere tool and information pool. No partisanship. I can provide the hosting platform. No penny asked of you. I can assist in getting true figures, not sahara figures and El Rufai statistics. We critically access everyone, not the Fashola is good, GEJ is bad politics syndrome. If you truly love Naija like you claim, let's go there!

Kobojunkie: I have been working a mini project to gather this kind of information and it has been a grueling summer trying to get in touch with people in various agencies to access this very information. I have sent numerous emails, letters and gotten one excuse after another for why the information I requested may not be available for me to view it when I want it.
Nigerians deserve to know these things .. . information on how their money is being spent, and where, should not be top secret.

Nairaland is by far one of the largest (if not the largest) online community of Nigerians covering the most important demography of the country. Nairaland can become an important stakeholder and a pressure group if we are willing besides being just a social media. I followed the Debate that was organised here some weeks ago and marvelled at the kind of intellectuals in our mist, this goes further to show that among us are people who are not just intelligent but have the opportunity of relating with our Ruling Class. Some Nairalanders have also been able to put up a Charity group that did an excellent job.

I believe that we have not properly channelled our angers, frustrations and disappointments from the governments aright. Obasanjo was well insulted, I thought Yaradua was the most insulted and attacked until GEJ came and there is no guarantee that the next President will be free. This could then mean that regardless of the number of derogatory names we call whoever is the President, the Nigerian people will still be the losers at the end of his tenure if we fail to act differently.
[b]I therefore, propose the formation of a group by Nairalanders that will collate our demands and critical questions (maybe one or two each month)submit same to the office of the President or any Minister and get a concrete answer for the rest of us. The outcome of the Senate-NOI chat today has shown how helpless and vulnerable Nigerians are with respect to getting adequate information from our governments. Some people in Governement maybe enjoying our barkings and e-fightings because of misinformation while the lootings continue.

[/b]This proposal is subject to amendments and reasonable suggestions are very much expected, LETS TURN THE LATENT ENERGY IN THIS FORUM INTO MORE POSITIVE OUTPUT FOR THE BEST OF NIGERIA.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Kobojunkie: 6:05pm On Aug 03, 2012
PHIPEX:
I believe that we have not properly channelled our angers, frustrations and disappointments from the governments aright. Obasanjo was well insulted, I thought Yaradua was the most insulted and attacked until GEJ came and there is no gurranttee that the next President will be free. This could then mean that regardless of the number of derogatory names we call whoever is the President, the Nigerian people will still be the losers at the end of his tenure if we fail to act differently.
[b]I therefore, propose the formation of a group by Nairalanders that will collate our demands and critical questions (maybe one or two each month)submit same to the office of the President or any Minister and get a concrete answer for the rest of us. The outcome of the Senate-NOI chat today has shown how helpless and vulnerable Nigerians are with respect to getting adequate information from our governments. Some people in Governement maybe enjoying our barkings and e-fightings because of misinformation while the lootings continue.

[/b]This proposal is subject to amendments and reasonable suggestions are very much expected, LETS TURN THE LATENT ENERGY IN THIS FORUM INTO MORE POSITIVE OUTPUT FOR THE BEST OF NIGERIA.

@Poster, like I said, we have been working on something along this lines all summer

https://www.nairaland.com/930302/project-2012-summer-code-work/6
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 6:35pm On Aug 03, 2012
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, like I said, we have been working on something along this lines all summer

https://www.nairaland.com/930302/project-2012-summer-code-work/6

That is the more reason we all need to step up our games, we have cried and shouted enough. Development is evolutionary and I believe we should choose to evolve from mere talks to walking our talks. We have the opportunity of social media and a better opportunity of a faceless Nairaland, the Freedom of Information Bill has been signed but dormant; We can all harness these opportunities for a better results.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
PHIPEX:

That is the more reason we all need to step up our games, we have cried and shouted enough. Development is evolutionary and I believe we should choose to evolve from mere talks to walking our talks. We have the opportunity of social media and a better opportunity of a faceless Nairaland, the Freedom of Information Bill has been signed but dormant; We can all harness these opportunities for a better results.

Well, I have been from my end to take advantage of FOI and I have not been able to obtain much. I mean we also had a thread on here begging people to help us but much of the responses where from people telling us to give it a rest. So, if you are willing to help us with sourcing the data, that would be awesome, otherwise, we are where we are.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 6:48pm On Aug 03, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Well, I have been from my end to take advantage of FOI and I have not been able to obtain much. I mean we also had a thread on here begging people to help us but much of the responses where from people telling us to give it a rest. So, if you are willing to help us with sourcing the data, that would be awesome, otherwise, we are where we are.

Well I wasn't aware of an earlier attempt but nothing stops us from making a second attempt. Edicolove (from the quotation above) has promised to provide a good platform, even though I don't understand his plans yet but if this is given necessary publicity there are people like him who may be willing to offer help in their own capacity. I'll do my bit if need be but it has to be a concensus because unlike a vocal group like Nairaland, an individual effort may be easily frustrated just like the attempts you said you made.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Aug 03, 2012
Here's the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/963274/how-get-official-documents-relating/1

One thing about Nairaland you learn is that people say a lot of things and make a lot of promises. But at the end of the day, how many are able to deliver? That is what counts.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 7:02pm On Aug 03, 2012
Kobojunkie: Here's the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/963274/how-get-official-documents-relating/1

One thing about Nairaland you learn is that people say a lot of things and make a lot of promises. But at the end of the day, how many are able to deliver? That is what counts.

I don't know if your earlier attempt got a front page attention but I still believe there are people among us who may stil be willing to fulfil their promises. I know that the problem with most Nigerians is talking loud in secrets but shrinking when time to act comes but some people (Lawyers) still sue the FG and dare the consequences. If we all have the interest of the Nation at heart as we claim then I think the time to act is now except if there is a better suggestion. Am not suggesting a radical confrontation with the govt but taking the advantage of social media and available laws to make our leaders accountable.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Alumnus: 7:21pm On Aug 03, 2012
@OP I've been a passive reader but your post has drawn my attention. This is a nice opinion, I posted one of my few topics here about a month ago on Madman controlling traffic in Lagos https://www.nairaland.com/974194/madman-controls-traffic-toyota-ladipo. It got several attentions and condemnation but the guy is still there doing his thing, assuming Nairaland had a group that followed it up with appropriate authorities maybe there would'v been a better change.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by edogram1(m): 10:36pm On Aug 03, 2012
Maybe we have to count ourself massivelly in a uniform thread if we want our voice to be heard by the gov, if really we want to be recorgnize by the gov thats how we should go. Then we can form the nairaland chairman or leader to pass the bills and maybe get a seating lawyer and get registered, just like save nigeria group. And dont forget that there are many sadist, sycophant and loossers in here. So we have to remove ourself from here by ordering seun to create a new section for us where we can take total control of and probably have the power to kick out those sycophant bafoon from our midst
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by ITbomb(m): 11:05pm On Aug 03, 2012
anything with Kobojunkie in it, count me out

4 Likes

Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by edogram1(m): 11:14pm On Aug 03, 2012
Exactly what am saying... We ought to get a fresh politic section where only we can discuss in full cooperation.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 1:35pm On Aug 04, 2012
@ITbobm, I don't think excluding anybody will do us any good if this suggestion sees the light of the day. The house could nominate few individuals who will act as reps.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by StarrMatthieu: 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2012
Agree
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by wesley80(m): 2:21pm On Aug 04, 2012
ITbomb: anything with Kobojunkie in it, count me out
LMAO. On a serious note, If you can get Kobojunkie to drop even a fraction of her cynicism, I'm sure she would be of great help - Goodluck trying.
I totally agree with the OP. NL has become a place to vent and make insane noises without any real action to remedy the situation. Maybe a "NL House of Assembly" with a very select few won't be out of place here.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2012
PHIPEX:
I therefore, propose the formation of a group by Nairalanders that will collate our demands and critical questions (maybe one or two each month)submit same to the office of the President or any Minister and get a concrete answer for the rest of us. The outcome of the Senate-NOI chat today has shown how helpless and vulnerable Nigerians are with respect to getting adequate information from our governments. Some people in Governement maybe enjoying our barkings and e-fightings because of misinformation while the lootings continue.

A noble cause indeed but there are 2 things you didn't take into consideration:

1) The owner of Nairaland in the person of Seun Osewa is a [b]lilly-livered coward
. Take for example: The Platinumnk vs The Seeker case. A little threat from plat's dad had Seun sh!tting his pants.

2) Nigerian leaders love the way the country is. The confusion and chaos being experienced affords them the opportunity to loot the country amidst the confusion.

So my dear bruv, any petition from nairaland to the presidency would go straight into the shredder. Don't waste your time. You freedom would come by using your fists to librate yourselves
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Aug 04, 2012
PHIPEX:

I don't know if your earlier attempt got a front page attention but I still believe there are people among us who may stil be willing to fulfil their promises. I know that the problem with most Nigerians is talking loud in secrets but shrinking when time to act comes but some people (Lawyers) still sue the FG and dare the consequences. If we all have the interest of the Nation at heart as we claim then I think the time to act is now except if there is a better suggestion. Am not suggesting a radical confrontation with the govt but taking the advantage of social media and available laws to make our leaders accountable.

It did get frontpage.

Those lawyers who dared the FG are considered "cynics" too. You should go see the comments on the latest of those.

The time to act has never been the problem --- the problem has always been that the Nigerian people are themselves not interested in acting. You go as far back as the Yar adua years,the Obasanjo years, it has been so.
So back to your idea, are you willing to help us with getting data? Or do you think we are best sticking to scavenging the web, no matter how long it takes, for data that we can scrape up and use as we have been doing all summer?
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2012
I have come to realize Nairaland is structured in way to bring maximum traffic/revenues and not essentially to foster a reasonable discussion. You can't blame the capitalist owner for that too.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by cutievik: 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
My grand dad use to tell me about an acient proverb 'The journey of a thousand miles starts wit a step'.,al am trying to contribute is simply we dt hv to wait for a thousand reasonable minds to start, 5 mentally sound minds can get dis stuff running.of which u can always count on me to be a part of.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On Aug 04, 2012
cutievik: My grand dad use to tell me about an acient proverb 'The journey of a thousand miles starts wit a step'.,al am trying to contribute is simply we dt hv to wait for a thousand reasonable minds to start, 5 mentally sound minds can get dis stuff running.of which u can always count on me to be a part of.

Are you sure? Cause we have work as of this minute that needs to be done by someone, and you can always volunteer if you have MS Excel, or any other spreadsheet app to help do it. grin
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2012
pDude:

1) The owner of Nairaland in the person of Seun Osewa is a lilly-livered coward. Take for example: The Platinumnk vs The Seeker case. A little threat from plat's dad had Seun sh!tting his pants.

2) Nigerian leaders love the way the country is. The confusion and chaos being experienced affords them the opportunity to loot the country amidst the confusion.

So my dear bruv, any petition from nairaland to the presidency would go straight into the shredder. Don't waste your time. You freedom would come by using your fists to librate yourselves

I hope your no 1 point isn't true otherwise it will be like the story of our oil sector; having so much resources but failing to make the best use of it. If Seun could allow his platform to be used in insulting the President and he still walks free, why should he be afraid of helping us achieve a more worthy cause?

bayooooooo: I have come to realize Nairaland is structured in way to bring maximum traffic/revenues and not essentially to foster a reasonable discussion. You can't blame the capitalist owner for that too.

Am being tempted to believe you but it's still too early to conclude.

cutievik: My grand dad use to tell me about an acient proverb 'The journey of a thousand miles starts wit a step'.,al am trying to contribute is simply we dt hv to wait for a thousand reasonable minds to start, 5 mentally sound minds can get dis stuff running.of which u can always count on me to be a part of.

You are right but we may achieve greater result if it's a Nairaland thing rather than some individuals thing.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by edogram1(m): 7:18pm On Aug 04, 2012
We ought to start step by step. Not on the rush. But firstly let seek for a private section. Where we can probably know each other.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 8:17pm On Aug 04, 2012
edogram.:
We ought to start step by step. Not on the rush. But firstly let seek for a private section. Where we can probably know each other.

Am getting you clearer, we need not wait for entire Nairaland community to sign up.

Dear Seun, Can you please grant us this privilege of having a seperate section for this project?

More suggestions on how to make this work will be appreciated.

so far we have gotten 9 sign-ups and we shall start something regardless of the number.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by bashr8: 10:59pm On Aug 04, 2012
PHIPEX:

Am getting you clearer, we need not wait for entire Nairaland community to sign up.

Dear Seun, Can you please grant us this privilege of having a seperate section for this project?

so far we have gotten 9 sign-ups and we shall start something regardless of the number.
story , a man that enjoys how much we insult each others ethnic group including his own , dont get me wrong i respect his hursle but count him out of anything that will help make this country a better place.

1 Like

Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Kobojunkie: 11:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
PHIPEX:

Why not make sure that these 9 sign-ups are even serious, before putting in this request? I mean you are not the first to try this and you will probably not be the last. If I were you, I would make sure those I think are coming on board are even committed. Like I said, you are still dealing with Nigerians at the end of the day. Not that I have anything against them but experience has shown that it is probably best to be sure you have something before you decided to move.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by wesley80(m): 11:11pm On Aug 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Are you sure? Cause we have work as of this minute that needs to be done by someone, and you can always volunteer if you have MS Excel, or any other spreadsheet app to help do it. grin
Won't mind doing it.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by edogram1(m): 12:36am On Aug 05, 2012
Let seun create the section under politics firstly. The leaders will be the mods.
If it falls then it can be remove.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by PHIPEX(m): 1:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
edogram.:
Let seun create the section under politics firstly. The leaders will be the mods.
If it falls then it can be remove.

Good suggestion but we are still waiting for Seun and the Mods to say a word.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Rhino5dm: 2:01pm On Aug 05, 2012
What is this thread? Getting who to do what? Government officials?
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
pDude:

1) The owner of Nairaland in the person of Seun Osewa is a lilly-livered coward. Take for example: The Platinumnk vs The Seeker case. A little threat from plat's dad had Seun sh!tting his pants.

I am surprised you have not been banned for this - SEUN takes a particular interest in Nlers who seek to mobilize the sheeple into any sort of revolution that can upend the present and future regimes of Nigeria's political elite
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by Jarus(m): 12:16am On Aug 06, 2012
I'm in for any political/advocacy group on NL to interface with the real Political class in Nigeria.

My only concern is: will Seun allow anyone/group of people associate any agitation with his business?

Recall we had something like that during 2011 elections when we Buhari supporters on Nairaland went ahead and sponsored jingles on 5 radio stations across Lagos, Oyo, Rivers and Osun states. But we didn't mention NL, we only said 'BB Integrity Vanguard Online'.
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by tpia5: 12:22am On Aug 06, 2012
quick question:

wetin do una hometown abi una nor dey show face for there?

just curious.

although nl fit be hometown sha grin
Re: A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. by antitpiah: 12:33am On Aug 06, 2012
I am all for pressure groups and what not. I believe if we have enough of us shooting them emails at every ungodly time of the day, if we just have enough people bothering our politicians, just enough Nairalanders ( I hope that is a real word grin) taking away precious time from our politicians, I believe we can force some positive change. What better way to achieve positive change than have nutters like Kobojunkie bothering, pestering, and badgering people with his/her nonsensical questions.

Go NL!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Postcard From Hell 2012 - Nigeria Makes Number 14 / Photos Of Goodluck Jonathan’s 2015 Campaign Umbrellas And Caps / Ebola: Nurse, Husband Who Escaped Quarantine Relocated To Lagos In Special Ambul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.