Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) (52412 Views)

How To Get Jobs In Canada / Student Jobs In Norway! / 38 Highly Demanded Jobs In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
r231:
so because the man prefers to temp makes him unintelligent undecided undecided

newsflash for you, the guy has been temping since 2002 going different places even different countries and he has never been out of a job

he takes 6months to a yr contract here and there and he has his own limited company for his taxes so no agency is making any money off him

I never called him, unintelligent; I said temping everywhere is unintelligent.
And you just alluded to the fact that the 'guy' in question also has
his own limited company. Would you advise someone who hasn't got his own company
to follow his footsteps? Bear in mind that your friend won't really pay taxes
if he earns below £25,000 p/a.

Stop giving examples of isolated cases to buttress your point, cite examples
which are attainable across the board.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
Godogwu:

What you are saying is very true. I have family members who work in the US and UK who are doing pretty well for themselves; live in nice houses and drive pretty good cars. The thing is there are also some who are doing menial jobs who don't have all that luxury. My point is that there are Nigerians who are doing excellently in Nigeria and the ones not privileged enough to do so well, same applies to Nigerians in diaspora. My major problem with some of the diaspora Nigerians is that they feel all Nigerians who reside in the country are suffering and often feel they are better than Nigerians living in Nigeria. They are also very quick to criticize or disregard any progress in Nigeria and believe they have all the answers to the problems in Nigeria.

You have plainly spoken my mind. This is the qualms i have with them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by toria1980(f): 6:05pm On Aug 12, 2012
you cant just conclude if you are not here.

it all depends on your dream in life
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
jay bee:
There are some temp jobs and there are some other temp jobs.
If you have the right skills set and experience then it will be somewhat hard for you to be out of a job for a long period of time. I ain't talking about your regular software testers or so called project management guys.
Some Nigerians are known to be lazy hence the reason why they tend to be out of job for eons. If you are ready to evolve along with the constantly changing world of technologies then surely one shouldn't have a problem missing the boat.

I do get your point though about preferring to have job security over short term gain

Taking all those courses also cost money.
Egbon mi, you know how difficult it's to pay bills and rent ni ilu mama charlie lol.
Money comes and go like magic, especially when you're not earning anything
within a period of time.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by jaybee3(m): 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Taking all those courses also cost money.
Egbon mi, you know how difficult it's to pay bills and rent ni ilu mama charlie lol.
Money comes and go like magic, especially when you're not earning anything
within a period of time.

They do cost money hence the more reason why you have to be calculated if it's your chosen route. Most Nigerians that do contracting just follow the crowd instead of creating their own niche. They are also known to start driving them top of the range cars, living beyond there means once they start earning the dosh.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by greall1: 6:20pm On Aug 12, 2012
You want to know oluomo of oshodi

Cuddlemii:

Who is Oluomo? Oh Mc oluomo!
No, I don't, I am here to learn. Educate me!
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by E20BILLION(m): 6:20pm On Aug 12, 2012
@op, U re right.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
jay bee:
They do cost money hence the more reason why you have to be calculated if it's your chosen route. Most Nigerians that do contracting just follow the crowd instead of creating their own niche. They are also known to start driving them top of the range cars, living beyond there means once they start earning the dosh.

Hey, that's the problem with most of our people.
Everyone seems to always follow the crowd, and listen
to 'feel good' tales.

As for the ones driving top range cars, that's what get
them the women lol. No wonder there are many 'iya n da gbes'
around London, cooking fish stew for every available bachelor lol.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by chucky234(m): 6:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
Na wa oooo
So this e-battle of Superiority between diasporan based and Naija based is still looming
*taking my seat sipping ice cold 7up*
Watching as the battle unfold, no sorry thicken.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by dustydee: 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2012
I am due to finish my masters end of this month and already have an offer from an engineering firm, I also know someone who will finish this month and also has an offer with an IOC. A classmate will also start with an engineering firm when our results are ready. I know someone in my church here who had 2 offers, one being with and oil servicing company. The oil servicing company had to almost double his sign-on bonus to make him join them. There are jobs and there are people looking for jobs too. If you pray and do your part diligently, God will show up. Do you know that companies like Accenture, PWC and other consulting firms are still looking to fill their 2012 quota? Yet they haven't found the right candidates to fill those positions. for those saying there are no jobs please check job boards and you will still see vacancies that are open even though now is not the time most companies recruit-they are simply open because they have been unable to fill those positions.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 6:29pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Permanent jobs = long term contract.
But they still leech off your pay.
You can't compare that with a graduate job,
nor a job you get directly from the company.

Apples and oranges here, mate..
But I have no problems with temp jobs,
just telling the OP to keep searching,
while doing what he has got now.

It's not apples and oranges mate. You can get a permanent job directly from a company OR through a recruitment agency!

Recruitment agencies in the UK tend to receive a one-off fee from the employer for placing a permanent employee.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by chucky234(m): 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2012
For the 2 million Nigerians in the UK only 5 people have been able to share their success stories,that's not even 1%.
Pls people should share the success stories for us to see but be honest about it because we know cooked up stories or tales when we see one,we can detect if you are a roadside agbero in London by mere reading of your post no matter the grammar used to convinced us.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
r231:

so because the man prefers to temp makes him unintelligent undecided undecided

newsflash for you, the guy has been temping since 2002 going different places even different countries and he has never been out of a job

he takes 6months to a yr contract here and there and he has his own limited company for his taxes so no agency is making any money off him

And to add to that, a lot of temp/contract earn a lot more than permanent staff on the same job.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:39pm On Aug 12, 2012
Claus:
It's not apples and oranges mate. You can get a permanent job directly from a company OR through a recruitment agency!

Recruitment agencies in the UK tend to receive a one-off fee from the employer for placing a permanent employee.

And where's the company going to deduct that pay from?
Most of you have no idea about what you're talking about.

I believe most of you kids!
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:39pm On Aug 12, 2012
saxywale:

And to add to that, a lot of temp/contract earn a lot more than permanent staff.

Looooool!
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by denzel2009: 6:43pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Looooool!

The Joke is actually on you. There's nothing like permanent jobs these days when you can be made redundant before you even start the job. If you are highly skilled, it makes more sense to be contracting. Yes, contractors earn more than than permanent staff..FACT.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Zechy09: 6:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
dustydee: I am due to finish my masters end of this month and already have an offer from an engineering firm, I also know someone who will finish this month and also has an offer with an IOC. A classmate will also start with an engineering firm when our results are ready. I know someone in my church here who had 2 offers, one being with and oil servicing company. The oil servicing company had to almost double his sign-on bonus to make him join them. There are jobs and there are people looking for jobs too. If you pray and do your part diligently, God will show up. Do you know that companies like Accenture, PWC and other consulting firms are still looking to fill their 2012 quota? Yet they haven't found the right candidates to fill those positions. for those saying there are no jobs please check job boards and you will still see vacancies that are open even though now is not the time most companies recruit-they are simply open because they have been unable to fill those positions.

Thanks for sharing your story, I have loads of people with such stories but I hope they will come and share it here. People are making it both here and naija, so hope to hear more stories.
Guys keep it coming grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Looooool!

I work in financial services and it's a very common occurrence in this sector. Forget all the bonus you get as perm staff. Add everything up, it still doesn't get near what some contract staff you are doing the same job with earn.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
denzel2009:
The Joke is actually on you. There's nothing like permanent jobs these days when you can be made redundant before you even start the job. If you are highly skilled, it makes more sense to be contracting. Yes, contractors earn more than than permanent staff..FACT.

Loooooooooooool!!
Explain what you mean by 'contractors'.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 6:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

And where's the company going to deduct that pay from?
Most of you have no idea about what you're talking about.

I believe most of you kids!

Hahaha. Cheap shot.

Anyway, I work here in the U.K. and I had to recruit someone as part of my team. The remuneration negotiations we had were completely independent of the one-off fee we paid to the recruitment agency. The fee to the agency was relatively small at approx £3.5k. We spend far more than that annually on his training, airfare and hotel bills while on business, and definitely don't need to reclaim £3.5k from his salary.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by denzel2009: 6:49pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Loooooooooooool!!
Explain what you mean by 'contractors'.

Bouncers.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Cuddlemii: 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

English language was the never the idea behind this thread. This thread was to educate people about the UK educational system and jobs.
Tell me, what would your club analysis do for an average man that wants a big break in the UK? What would a struggling village man make out of clubs in Bradford or Hull?

My english is half-baked, right? Let my tutors & professors worry about that! Try improving your brain beyond the social scene/circuit cos its evident that you are a block head. Instead of you to educate people about the opportunities in the Uk, how to survive and what to expect, you are bothered about the club arena like that would feed the masses.

I see your ego is bruised, u dnt need to hype or brag! Let people tag you as relevant! Na only my profile you check? You for request a background search, Rubbish! Please let willing members educate themselves, I won't reply you again!
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by r231(m): 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
denzel2009:

all i can do is just laugh at him

there is no point arguing with that KID........yes KID grin grin
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:56pm On Aug 12, 2012
saxywale:
I work in financial services and it's a very common occurrence in this sector. Forget all the bonus you get as perm staff. Add everything up, it still doesn't get near what some contract staff you are doing the same job with earn.

If you're talking about 'highly skilled professional' contractors in fields
that the particular has no permanent staff, who has the same skills set
then, you might have a point. But what type of company outsources
jobs, when they have people who can do the same thing?

I bet you, if the company has someone who has the same skill set,
as the 'contractor', there's no way the 'contractor' is going to earn more
than the in-house staff.

Stop comparing the wages of regular staffs, with 'contractors' who're
above them in all ramifications. Compare likes to likes.
That's like comparing the wages of an accountant assistant, to an ACCA
qualified Accountant.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 6:56pm On Aug 12, 2012
denzel2009:

Bouncers.

You're a dunce!
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by denzel2009: 7:01pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

You're a dunce!

I think you've stayed too long at the door and it has hit you on the forehead. How can one start an argument with you when you don't know why companies outsource?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 7:01pm On Aug 12, 2012
Cuddlemii:
English language was the never the idea behind this thread. This thread was to educate people about the UK educational system and jobs.
Tell me, what would your club analysis do for an average man that wants a big break in the UK? What would a struggling village man make out of clubs in Bradford or Hull?

My english is half-baked, right? Let my tutors & professors worry about that! Try improving your brain beyond the social scene/circuit cos its evident that you are a block head. Instead of you to educate people about the opportunities in the Uk, how to survive and what to expect, you are bothered about the club arena like that would feed the masses.

I see your ego is bruised, u dnt need to hype or brag! Let people tag you as relevant! Na only my profile you check? You for request a background search, Rubbish! Please let willing members educate themselves, I won't reply you again!

Unlike you and your ilks, I can talk about clubs (based on the discourse at the time)
and switch to talking about professional jobs, and what's attainable.
That shows my flexibility on all subject matters.

Brag? I haven't even said anything about what I do for a living, nor,
how I live, simpleton. Add reading and comprehension to your
challenge, and give me a report on your progress at the end of the month, dolt.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 7:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
denzel2009:
I think you've stayed too long at the door and it has hit you on the forehead. How can one start an argument with you when you don't know why companies outsource?

Blockhead, tell me why companies outsource?
And tell me why a company would outsource a job,
it has an in-house staff who can offer the
service required?
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by sisieko2001: 7:10pm On Aug 12, 2012
wow!

so hiipower is still here displaying his ignorance.

Contracting is the way to go in the UK. if you have the right skills and in the right sector.

Do you have any idea what some contractors earn

i left my permanent role for a contract job and it has been no looking back since then.

permanent job. . . . . nahhhh grin
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by sisieko2001: 7:12pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Blockhead, tell me why companies outsource?
And tell me why a company would outsource a job,
it has an in-house staff who can offer the
service required?

OMG!

you are three times more stoopid than I thought.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Another Military Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna / List Of States Where Okada And Keke Are Banned Or Restricted / Bent Truck Spotted In Motion In Lagos: Pictures & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.