Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,252 members, 7,815,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) (52392 Views)

How To Get Jobs In Canada / Student Jobs In Norway! / 38 Highly Demanded Jobs In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LongOne1(m): 12:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
^^^nah, no need, was just curious. I’m an Engineer with 2 years plus UK work experience, somebody’s analysis was on point.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 12:26pm On Aug 13, 2012
somebody:

Now, listen carefully so you learn something new. The UK salaries are available on the internet - there is nothing hidden. In Nigeria, most people lie about your salaries and no one can verify. I can tell you for certain that the prime minister earns £142,500 because everything is standarised (to an extent) and transparent. So if I tell you I am a lawyer with 4 - 5 years experience, you should be able to gauge my salary band. Taxation too is transparent - well except you are a contractor so you know how much the person gets after tax and NI.

Now, back to the reality. Engineering graduates will earn on average £26,000 fresh from university with oil & gas jobs being higher. Just a quick look at Exxon Mobil's website suggests thatthey will pay their graduates £35,000 plus £4,000 relocation allowance in addition to their first month's rent= £40,000+ pa. Shell graduate jobs are being advertised as £32,500 to £37,500. Accenture is advertising graduate jobs at £31,500pa + £10,000 sign on bonus = £41,500 pa. I got all these information from their respective websites. There is no hanky panky, no need to hide such info.

Now for an investment bank which is known for its ridiculously high salaries - Graduates are offered a basic salary of £45,000, sign on bonus of £5,000 to £7,000 (depending on bank), year end bonus of up to 75% of your base salary (c.£30,000 -not everybody will get this, some will get £20,000 depending on your performance). In total that is £80,000 if you include sign on bonuses- Just google investment banking analyst salaries and see for yourself. You have some forums just like this dedicated to young people in investment banking - on there they compare their salaries, bonuses. All the info is easily verifiable.

If you stay on and you get promoted to an Associate at an Investment Bank which is after 3 years of joining (again transparent system depending on who you ask), you get a £20,000 bonus that is separate from your salary and bonus. By the time you get to this level, you are easily on £75,000 basic salary and if you add everything up, they have earned more than £100,000 so 25 year olds get this sort of salaries easily.

The question to ask is how many Nigerians get these sort of jobs - NOT MANY but are there some Nigerians earning this sort of salaries - ABSOLUTELY YES.

I hope you have managed to learn a thing or two.

'Listen here and let me teach you a thing or two?'
Do you think your talking to a 2 year old or a JJC?
Talk to me with a little respect as i have others and I will reciprocate...
For the simple fact you came at me with hostility and tried, let me reiterate 'attempted' to demean my statement with your little 'google search' composed sermon you posted there, has made me ponder on your ability to read, digest, and understand what i have been saying previously.

Did you not see what i said in my previous posts regarding my awareness of investment bankers and their salaries?
Obviously not, hence why what you just spontaneously regurgitated will be categorized as null and void from a non factor.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Mrfemi1: 12:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
On a lighter note, all you guys claiming uk is good,i have a great job plus the opposing side @team naija how come you guys are on nairaland and not at work...(wierd) lmao

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LongOne1(m): 12:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
^^^What makes you think ‘they’ are not at work? It shows they have good jobs, even though they are obviously unproductive.

I mean, if they were washing toilets or dead bodies, would they have access to a PC at work? grin
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Mrfemi1: 12:56pm On Aug 13, 2012
loooool trust me this guys are not at work...monday morning for crying outloud....abegiiii....methinks they are on vacation mostly.....looooool....nywz i need a job o guys
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by somebody(f): 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lady Dee:

Like??
Those that know the truth are bullshitting and deceiving nigerians who dont have a clue about the british 'system'
and those dont have a clue are quoting nonesense so called 'imaginary facts' about salaries and the so called opportunities in the UK...

Well I apologise if you did not like my tone but you suggested I was lying and that rubbed me the wrong way because if I recall, I was the only one quoting so I felt that was directed at me. The salaries I have quoted are easily verifiable and even someone who disagreed with me actually commented that his salary in first year was about £75,000 - I know mine was and this was at least 5 years ago so I am not pulling numbers from my head - please note that this includes bonuses. I tried not to make it personal (no point disclosing what I earned, I mean who would believe me anyway undecided) by providing links from reputable sites like bloomberg and reuters which summarise average earnings for an ibanker.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by somebody(f): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mr femi: loooool trust me this guys are not at work...monday morning for crying outloud....abegiiii....methinks they are on vacation mostly.....looooool....nywz i need a job o guys

You are right - I am on holiday smiley and getting some much needed rest. A look at my profile suggests I have 206 posts since January 2006 so that should tell you I don't spend all my time on nairaland. Infact, I can't access nairaland from my work pc. Anyways, what kind of job are you looking for? Are you in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by somebody(f): 1:31pm On Aug 13, 2012
queensmith: Even with a 1st Class degree in Physics from Oxford University and parents that own a clothing factory in tottenham hale. 76k starting salary is far fetched.

and no just because I haven't seen this job before doesn't mean it's non existent. . . .it just means there is a high probability that this is all gassss and aiiiir grin grin grin

and yes, IB does put a hole in my argument, as does doctors and those working at clifford chance (and alot of Nigerians do!) it's still pretty far fetched. I believe someone in that pay bracket (for an entry level role) will at least hold an MBA or a PHD.

@Queensmith, if the person had an MBA - they would start as an associate not an analyst. So their starting salaries would be about £75,000 base salary, sign on bonus of £10,000 - £20,000 including a bonus of anything up to £30,000(being very conservative here lest I am accused again). I know quite a few lawyers at magic circle firms like Clifford Chance abi what do you call them and no they don't get as much in their total packages. Their base salaries are probably about the same though - what makes the bankers pay package higher is that they receive a discretionary bonus at the end of the year which most other professions don't.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Mrfemi1: 2:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
somebody:

You are right - I am on holiday smiley and getting some much needed rest. A look at my profile suggests I have 206 posts since January 2006 so that should tell you I don't spend all my time on nairaland. Infact, I can't access nairaland from my work pc. Anyways, what kind of job are you looking for? Are you in Nigeria?
I'm in the last month of my masters programme...In the Uk at the moment
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LongOne1(m): 3:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mr femi: loooool trust me this guys are not at work...monday morning for crying outloud....abegiiii....methinks they are on vacation mostly.....looooool....nywz i need a job o guys

Seriously, at my work desk now embarassed, having devised some criminally minded strategies to browse, without getting caught…the type only a true Nigerian can come up with.

somebody:

You are right - I am on holiday smiley and getting some much needed rest. A look at my profile suggests [b]I have 206 posts since January 2006 [/b]so that should tell you I don't spend all my time on nairaland. Infact, I can't access nairaland from my work pc. Anyways, what kind of job are you looking for? Are you in Nigeria?

You just made my day. I finally found a nairaland age mate with fewer posts, lol.

Mr femi:

Well, wish you good luck and God speed, the path ahead is rocky, but as the thread shows, still possible regardless of what they say. You just have to find your niche.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by EreluY(f): 4:03pm On Aug 13, 2012
@ somebody: I think you should leave these people alone. You've made your point and quite transparently, too. Let those who will not believe your claim hold on to theirs. The other important point you've made is that SOME (not ALL) Nigerians in professional jobs here in the UK earn FAT salaries.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by tanimola22: 4:27pm On Aug 13, 2012
Erelu_Y: @ somebody: I think you should leave these people alone. You've made your point and quite transparently, too. Let those who will not believe your claim hold on to theirs. The other important point you've made is that SOME (not ALL) Nigerians in professional jobs here in the UK earn [b]FAT salaries.[/b]

You and that somebody chick, if I nab both of you on the streets of Canary Wharf, you will have no choice than to share your fat salaries and bonuses with me. wink

How dare you earn that handsomely, huh!

T22

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by aspen2x: 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2012
justwise:

Please lets try and make this discussion as open as possible, i don't like it when people start dropping their email addresses for private chat.

Okay. its not that of a private chat. I graduated recently from an oil and gas course too (subsea engineering) and am job searching, I live in Glasgow at the moment. I was going to ask you are there like any other trainnings I can go for to boost my chances of getting a job? as It seems I keep getting rejected because of no previous experience. and I will like to ask for useful tips regards applications, like agencies and co.
regards
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by aspen2x: 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
justwise:

Please lets try and make this discussion as open as possible, i don't like it when people start dropping their email addresses for private chat.

Okay. its not that of a private chat. I graduated recently from an oil and gas course too (subsea engineering) and am job searching, I live in Glasgow at the moment. I was going to ask you are there like any other trainnings I can go for to boost my chances of getting a job? as It seems I keep getting rejected because of no previous experience. and I will like to ask for useful tips regards applications, like are there particular agencies and co?
regards
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by aspen2x: 5:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
Zechy09: @braveheart, I think info provided by somebody seems exagerated but not very far from the truth. I will say a lot changed after the meltdown and my 30yr old friend was earning almost £150k in investment banking but he lost his job.

@Queensmith, I think you need to change your friends (If you find the stories strange). This i was advised the moment i came here. If your friends are doing menial jobs, you will feel it is normal and not hustle as much as required to get a pro job.

@aspen2x, I think everyone will benefit from what you want to ask.

To everybody in UK hustling, connections work like magic here in UK. Networking helps people land very good jobs.
My friend was working as a security man in TOTAL here, he used to gist with most of the managers when they go for a smoke and one day one of them asked him why he was still doing security work after an MSC in Subsea engineering and he said "no company wants to employ me". The man took his cv and sent it out to a few people and they called the boy for interview in London. The interview was about pay, not about technical knowledge. So guys network and pray.

Okay. its not that of a private chat. I graduated recently from an oil and gas course too (subsea engineering) and am job searching, I live in Glasgow at the moment. I was going to ask you are there like any other trainnings I can go for to boost my chances of getting a job? as It seems I keep getting rejected because of no previous experience. and I will like to ask for useful tips regards applications, like agencies and co.
regards
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by EreluY(f): 5:39pm On Aug 13, 2012
tanimola22:

You and that somebody chick, if I nab both of you on the streets of Canary Wharf, you will have no choice than to share your fat salaries and bonuses with me. wink

How dare you earn that handsomely, huh!

T22

Shonso meji kii pade. If you neither speak nor communicate in Yoruba, find someone to interpret what that means. So, tell me, why do you want to commit robbery with all the big brothers following and watching you 24/7? Canary Wharf no be Oshodi or Oju Elegba. So, be careful. And, if I get mugged, we'll know how to track you. lol.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 5:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mr femi: On a lighter note, all you guys claiming uk is good,i have a great job plus the opposing side @team naija how come you guys are on nairaland and not at work...(wierd) lmao

People do chat from work or with their phones depending on the type of job, posting here often doesn't mean somebody is jobless.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mr femi:

I thought you claimed to have a great job?
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 5:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
aspen2x:

Okay. its not that of a private chat. I graduated recently from an oil and gas course too (subsea engineering) and am job searching, I live in Glasgow at the moment. I was going to ask you are there like any other trainnings I can go for to boost my chances of getting a job? as It seems I keep getting rejected because of no previous experience. and I will like to ask for useful tips regards applications, like are there particular agencies and co?
regards

I'm sure that people in that field will advice you, i got no clue about oil and gas area.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by shushu(f): 6:07pm On Aug 13, 2012
x
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
Cuddleeeeeeeeeeeeeee mii were u dey na?
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by seedord247(m): 6:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
obakovich: Cuddleeeeeeeeeeeeeee mii were u dey na?

Why are u calling her as if u are calling your village gods?
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by IamFenriz(m): 6:26pm On Aug 13, 2012
Guyz how lucrative is it to go into IT and telecoms contracting after a masters degree in telecoms? Ive checked contractoruk.com and it seems there is a high demand for contractors that are technically sound in CISCO technology. Also if one wants to go into contracting how do you adjust your student visa to make it legal for you to work? Pls advice, thanks
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Mrfemi1: 8:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
justwise:

I thought you claimed to have a great job?
/I cant remember saying that but yea I had a great JOB
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by hustla242: 10:19pm On Aug 13, 2012
somebody: Oh wow - I see the thread has been invaded. Imagine, people accusing me of lying because I say I haven't done a menial job and have a professional job. Poor man mentality - I really can't explain why else that is so hard to believe. On a good day, I would ignore this thread but I thought it was important for me to encourage people who are looking for opportunities in the UK. I have been consistent since I joined nairaland more than 5 years ago - most of my posts then were about education and job opportunities in the UK and no I am not a job consultant. I mean you don't expect me to remain stagnant because I am abroad. Back in 2006, I was just starting my career and so 6 years on, one would hope I know a few things about succeeding in the UK. Interestingly, my first job was through a nairaland hookup (strange how I even forgot about that till this thread).

As an aside, the oil sector is lucrative wherever in the world you are employed so its no surprise that there are several Nigerians employed in that sector in the diaspora who are doing well for themselves. From my limited research done on salaries in Nigeria, I understand the oil jobs are also one of the most lucrative ones. I remember years ago, people were moving back to Nigeria to work for oil companies for 7 million naira (c.£26,000) and to them it seemed like a really good offer. What is so special about a 7 million naira job - absolutely nothing and how many people in Nigeria even get to work in an oil company? I read another thread some time ago on here where people were discussing their fat salaries in oil & gas in Nigeria - saying oil money is like free money bla bla bla - on top how much? Infact, people tell me in Nigeria that fresh grads would happily take #150,000 ($1,000) monthly - this same security guards/toilet cleaners you try to put down will earn well above that in the UK and US. Its all well and good that people in Nigeria are doing well but there always seems to be this battle and they always try to convince themselves that they are better off than people in London based on their own failures or those of their relatives that are still hustling abroad.

I can't use my experiences and those of people around me to generalise but I can use them to form a valid opinion on opportunities in the UK. From my experiences, investment banking is very rewarding financially. Most people (including oyinbo people sef) around me aspired to get an investment banking job - it was like the most sought after career because of the high salaries. I mean doctors and engineers were leaving their jobs to become investment bankers because of the rewards. This meant that during the financial crisis, a lot of people I know lost their plum jobs and some had to wait a year or so before finding something as good but that is no different from the stories from Nigeria where bankers were being laid off. The ones who weren't able to get decent opportunities moved back to Nigeria. I mean, some have it good here others don't - same story in Nigeria.

I know young Nigerians (26-30) in the UK earning on average £150,000 even with the 50% tax, how many people in Nigeria earn that much at that age. I even know a few Nigerians (30-32) who are traders and investment bankers and earn c.£500,000 including their year end bonuses. These are easily researchable - make google your friend,just type average vice president salaries in trading (note that you can be a vp 6 - 8 years from graduate level so imagine a guy who finished uni at 21 which again most people around me including me did) But mind you, their profiles are always A-levels at good school, undergrad at a top uni - most of them don't even do Masters. Now is this everybody I know - NOPE. Do I have friends who are still earning £35,000 - YES.

The general job environment is very tough now and it is certainly harder to get jobs now than when I was starting my career years ago but there are several Nigerians doing exceptionally well as doctors, bankers, geologists etc in the UK. I don't claim that they make up the majority of Nigerians in the UK but if I recall, this thread was to highlight that NOT all Nigerians in the UK do menial jobs. Afterall, we know that most Nigerians live in poverty in Nigeria so to expect that this would be different in another country is just plain STUPID.

Before I am accused of making up numbers, check the links for average investment banking salaries. Some highlights:

1st year analyst (fresh out of uni) - £75,000 incl year end bonus. Base salary excl bonus is £45,000 - should we compare to GTB graduate salaries undecided
An oil trader with 10 years in the business is likely to earn at least $1 million this year, while a neurosurgeon with similar time on the job makes less than $600,000, recruiters estimated. After a decade of deal-making, merger bankers take home about $2 million, more than 10 times what a similarly seasoned cancer researcher gets (see table below).
Careers-in-Finance reported further that vice presidents at investment banking firms, with three to six years of experience, earn salaries ranging from $350,000 to $1 million a year. Typical compensation for a vice president, including bonuses, is about $500,000 a year, according to the website. Directors earn an average of $800,000 a year, but compensation can range from $400,000 to $1.5 million a year. Managing directors typically earn more than $1 million a year, but Careers-in-Finance reported that salaries and bonuses for these positions range from $500,000 to $20 million a year.

Read more: The Average Salary for Investment Banking | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_7305765_average-salary-investment-banking.html#ixzz23NUctXW1
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-13/traders-smaller-bonuses-still-top-pay-for-brain-surgeons-4-star-generals.html
http://news.reuters.efinancialcareers.co.uk/newsandviews_item/wpNewsItemId-100316

Fantastic analysis, although it's almost impossible and somewhat pointless trying to prove things like this on a public forum.

I know first-hand that Nigerians under 30 earn £100's/yr, I have a classmate whom I attended the same secondary school with in Nigeria that is an A-VP at Barclay's Wealth.

Having said that, there are some excellent careers outside IB and medicine in the UK. I'm in the life sciences and my immediate managers make £400/day on 4-year contracts.

I read on here how people judge Nigerians in the UK based on menial jobs they're doing and it makes me feel more proud because that's how I started off. Leave people, let them keep thinking we all came here to wash plates- that's their opinion.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 14, 2012
seedord247:

Why are u calling her as if u are calling your village gods?
mumu
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by azzima(m): 12:43am On Aug 14, 2012
revomind: Hehe. Much ado over nothing.
Big ups to those making ends meet in Nigeria, Big ups to those doing same in the diaspora. If you don't fall into any of these groups, stop hating and get on your grind.
A big thank you for that.just pure under achieving haters
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by CHAIRMAN1(m): 4:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
cheesy guy man don go google O grin
HiiiPower:

A couple of Indian clubs
Dhol Damaka club - earls court
The Nightingale Club - Birmingham
Club Tamingo - Kingsbury, London
Bombay Dreams Restaurant and Club - wembley

Indians don't do bouncers like that,
but they employ people, don't ask me how I know,
I used to work as a bouncer from 2005 - 2008.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by CHAIRMAN1(m): 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
sisieko2001:

oh my days !

now i understand why you worked as a bouncer for three years undecided
siseko, your first two jibes were funny; this isn't. The fact that things clicked for u fast doesn't mean you should laugh at his trying period. You shall also have yours in life and you'll then understand. It will be a humility lesson for you.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by CHAIRMAN1(m): 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
somebody:

@somebody, I need a job too o cry finished my Msc in oil and gas related engineering discipline. Had some couple of years of commericial banking experience in Nigeria before I went out. Can you be of help please thanks. My email is simult22@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by OmoTier1(m): 8:29pm On Aug 14, 2012
Those that still think we are washing plates here in the UK can continue to say so while when take giant strides by Gods grace. The truth remain that if these people have the opportunity or had not mismanaged the one they were given, they would gladly jump on the next flight here.

Like the bible said.."If you are willing and abiding... YOU WILL EAT THE GOOD OF THE LAND..."
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Sagamite(m): 12:07pm On Aug 15, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Another Military Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna / Nigerians In Pretoria, Sunnyside, South Africa Suffering. / List Of States Where Okada And Keke Are Banned Or Restricted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.