Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) (52414 Views)

How To Get Jobs In Canada / Student Jobs In Norway! / 38 Highly Demanded Jobs In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Zechy09: 10:05am On Aug 13, 2012
@ somebody, I didn't know you were in investment banking so that means you are competent to quote figures unlike me. Even though i suspected that when you said some people still earn £35k which is average salary in UK. Abeg forgive me oo.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Thok(m): 10:26am On Aug 13, 2012
A classic Example of what the Bible says "... Weeping may endure for the Night but Joy comes in the Morning" Ps 30:5..
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 10:30am On Aug 13, 2012
Not sure Ive seen anyone talk sense here...
People are throwing large fictional salaries regarding pay in the UK..
Why do Nigerians enjoy deceiving themselves?

When the average Englishman is on an average of £30K per annum,

Nigerians are just something else... undecided
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 10:34am On Aug 13, 2012
Lady Dee: Not sure Ive seen anyone talk sense here...

Bring sense to the discussion then.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 10:44am On Aug 13, 2012
I think some people have completely missed the point of this thread.

I haven't done any meaningful research, but I would guess that a majority of Nigerians in the U.K. are still struggling. For the bulk of them it's either they haven't got the best education or they are not yet legally settled, and so they can't compete with the talent on the ground.

However, the thread is really just trying to say there is another side to the Nigerians in diaspora story. I personally know a lot of Nigerians that are well placed professionally. Admittedly, a lot of them are from middle class families. There are some though who are just exceptionally talented and driven and didn't necessarily come from wealthy backgrounds.

In my career, I've worked for one of the big 4 accountancy firms and also an American investment bank (I regretted that one). While there, just by looking on the firm's intranet, I came across a good number of Nigerians (and other Africans), both in our London offices and across the pond in the U.S.

The value to be derived from a thread like this is the encouragement that there are real life success stories abroad, but more importantly, as Zechy09 has tried to do with his advice about networking, to show people some practical and realistic actions they can take to achieve that success.

There is no value in coming here to tell lies. If you're a Nigerian living in the U.K., you're obviously not going to find the success stories we're talking about in Peckham. It's like saying there are successful people in Lagos and someone accuses you of lying because of the endemic poverty in Ajegunle.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 10:53am On Aug 13, 2012
justwise: [b]

Bring sense to the discussion then.

Like??
Those that know the truth are bullshitting and deceiving nigerians who dont have a clue about the british 'system'
and those dont have a clue are quoting nonesense so called 'imaginary facts' about salaries and the so called opportunities in the UK...
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by queensmith: 10:53am On Aug 13, 2012

well we obviously don't have the right 'friends' something certainly went wrong somewhere I didn't collect 'friends' on 70k graduate schemes.. . .

These are people are gassing its hilarious! grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 10:54am On Aug 13, 2012
Claus: I think some people have completely missed the point of this thread.

I haven't done any meaningful research, but I would guess that a majority of Nigerians in the U.K. are still struggling. For the bulk of them it's either they haven't got the best education or they are not yet legally settled, and so they can't compete with the talent on the ground.

However, the thread is really just trying to say there is another side to the Nigerians in diaspora story. I personally know a lot of Nigerians that are well placed professionally. Admittedly, a lot of them are from middle class families. There are some though who are just exceptionally talented and driven and didn't necessarily come from wealthy backgrounds.

In my career, I've worked for one of the big 4 accountancy firms and also an American investment bank (I regretted that one). While there, just by looking on the firm's intranet, I came across a good number of Nigerians (and other Africans), both in our London offices and across the pond in the U.S.

The value to be derived from a thread like this is the encouragement that there are real life success stories abroad, but more importantly, as Zechy09 has tried to do with his advice about networking, to show people some practical and realistic actions they can take to achieve that success.

There is no value in coming here to tell lies. If you're a Nigerian living in the U.K., you're obviously not going to find the success stories we're talking about in Peckham. It's like saying there are successful people in Lagos and someone accuses you of lying because of the endemic poverty in Ajegunle.

Exactly...
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 10:57am On Aug 13, 2012
queensmith:

well we obviously don't have the right 'friends' something certainly went wrong somewhere I didn't collect 'friends' on 70k graduate schemes.. . .

These are people are gassing its hilarious! grin grin grin

My dear, i tire ooo..

Even Englishman (upper class) wey get correct connection, dem pikin no go start on 70k salary FRESH from University...

30k salary is considered high for a fresh graduate and more than decent considering how their payscale will increase on gaining more experience and attaining further skills on the job....
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 11:04am On Aug 13, 2012

You're partly correct in the sense that the average salary in the U.K. is less than £30k.

However, the salaries that guys have been quoting are graduate salaries in the investment banking and oil & gas industries. These are quite exclusive industries that select only the very best graduates. Only about 30%-40% of people in the U.K. go to university and a much smaller % went to the very best universities. The fact that the average salary is less than £30k does not mean there aren't Nigerians in the U.K. earning way above the average.

You won't find too many people that went to very good universities still earning that kind of money. Those that do have either been unlucky, or have deliberately chosen that path to have a better work/life balance.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by debosky(m): 11:04am On Aug 13, 2012

If we accept the figure you quote as correct, surely you understand that 'average' means that there are people earning above £30k? undecided

Lady Dee:
Even Englishman (upper class) wey get correct connection, dem pikin no go start on 70k salary FRESH from University...

Where is your evidence that people don't earn £70k fresh from University or are we just supposed to take your word for it? undecided

It's quite presumptuous to claim something doesn't happen simply because you don't know someone it's happened to.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 11:11am On Aug 13, 2012
Lady Dee:

My dear, i tire ooo..

30k salary is considered high for a fresh graduate and more than decent considering how their payscale will increase on gaining more experience and attaining further skills on the job....

Without trying to defend anyone here, it is a fact that there are certain companies (mainly investment banks) where a graduate can earn £70k (salary + bonus) FRESH from university.

Obviously, it is not common and there will be a lot of people who have never heard it happen. It doesn't mean it's not happening. It's quite hard to verify because people generally keep their pay details a closely guarded secret, but these things come out through industry salary surveys and also speaking to recruiters.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 11:13am On Aug 13, 2012
Lady Dee:

My dear, i tire ooo..

You are basically doing exactly what you have accused others of doing, why not present your own side of the story with facts to counter the falsehood?
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 11:14am On Aug 13, 2012
debosky:

If we accept the figure you quote as correct, surely you understand that 'average' means that there are people earning above £30k? undecided

Where is your evidence that people don't earn £70k fresh from University or are we just supposed to take your word for it? undecided

It's quite presumptuous to claim something doesn't happen simply because you don't know someone it's happened to.

Im not saying it doesnt happen, what im saying is you must be pretty extra ordinary in the Brits eyes to achieve such a payscale at Graduate level...
RedBrick University among the TOP 5 at least
1st Class and Other Exceptional/distinguished Achievements made at Univesity and even College/A-level stage
Family background (yes i said it), Your family background must be pretty decent by that i mean you came from a Middle class family... This particular point is magnified in particular if you want to be a 'somebody' in the British Law Sector....
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 11:20am On Aug 13, 2012
justwise:

You are basically doing exactly what you have accused others of doing, why not present your own side of the story with facts to counter the falsehood?

My own side of the story being?
Reciting my lifestory and experience?
Im not sure I qualify in doing that as I was born here, went to school here and work here..
I made the presumption this thread was for young educated nigerians who studied back home and came to the UK for (dare i say this).... greener pastures? and succeeded...
Hunny im bouncing back to where i came from, my homeland... wink
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 11:23am On Aug 13, 2012
Lady Dee:

My dear, i tire ooo..

Lady Dee:

Im not saying it doesnt happen, what im saying is you must be pretty extra ordinary in the Brits eyes to achieve such a payscale at Graduate level...
1st Class and Other Exceptional/distinguished Achievements made at Univesity and even College/A-level stage
Family background (yes i said it), Your family background must be pretty decent by that i mean you came from a Middle class family... This particular point is magnified in particular if you want to be a 'somebody' in the British Law Sector....

The bolded part of the first post gives the impression that you don't think it happens.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Zechy09: 11:26am On Aug 13, 2012
Lady Dee:

You are right about the law sector as it is considered an "elitist" job however other sectors don't care where you come from so long as you can deliver.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 11:30am On Aug 13, 2012
Claus:

The bolded part of the first post gives the impression that you don't think it happens.

I apologise if that was your impression, i was trying to state, even if it does happen (of which I am aware it does) its very rare for it to happen in particular with a foreigner (unfortunate as it may be).... Its the reason for the points system being put in place to filter out the cream of the crop and the 'chaff'.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by queensmith: 11:33am On Aug 13, 2012
Even with a 1st Class degree in Physics from Oxford University and parents that own a clothing factory in tottenham hale. 76k starting salary is far fetched.

and no just because I haven't seen this job before doesn't mean it's non existent. . . .it just means there is a high probability that this is all gassss and aiiiir grin grin grin

and yes, IB does put a hole in my argument, as does doctors and those working at clifford chance (and alot of Nigerians do!) it's still pretty far fetched. I believe someone in that pay bracket (for an entry level role) will at least hold an MBA or a PHD.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 11:42am On Aug 13, 2012
queensmith: Even with a 1st Class degree in Physics from Oxford University and parents that own a clothing factory in tottenham hale. 76k starting salary is far fetched.

£76k starting salary is indeed far fetched and rare. However, note that the examples given about that pay have mentioned salary + bonus. Even then it is not common, but it does happen.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LadyDee1(f): 11:44am On Aug 13, 2012
queensmith: Even with a 1st Class degree in Physics from Oxford University and parents that own a clothing factory in tottenham hale. 76k starting salary is far fetched.

and no just because I haven't seen this job before doesn't mean it's non existent. . . .it just means there is a high probability that this is all gassss and aiiiir grin grin grin

and yes, IB does put a hole in my argument, as does doctors and those working at clifford chance (and alot of Nigerians do!) it's still pretty far fetched. I believe someone in that pay bracket (for an entry level role) will at least hold an MBA or a PHD.

I agree with you... but, never say never.. I have never known or heard of a graduate retain such a payscale without as you said above further studies.. If they had a Phd/MBA that payscale will appear more attainable in a certain sector of UK companies...
However, I do know of graduates who enter Investment banking and are not far off that pyscale, but of course without a huge sacrifice... They work round the clock.... People will bradcast how amazing their pay is but the cost of it will remain 'mute'..
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Iykecollins(m): 11:48am On Aug 13, 2012
I have quite learnt enough and a lot encouraged. I have recently concluded my B.Sc in geology and wish to proceed abroad for further studies, obviously been having doubts. Had wanted Canada or Uk. Would want any genuine advice on what to expect, which country is better, professional geoscience field that sells and the opportunities there in. Am a very versatile person and can adapt and excel in most Science or Eng. fields.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 11:50am On Aug 13, 2012

Funny enough, there was a Nigerian investment banker with a Physics degree from Oxford that was part of the graduate program at the IB I worked in (I'm not a banker myself, I worked in Finance). I don't know if he got a 1st class though, or if his parents owned a clothing factory in Tottenham Hale grin grin grin . And of course I have no idea how much he was paid.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by debosky(m): 11:53am On Aug 13, 2012
So your argument is that it is 'far-fetched', not that it doesn't happen?

Who ever claimed it was an everyday occurrence? undecided The assertion was that people got these starting salaries fresh out of school, which you have essentially agreed happens. albeit 'far-fetched'.

Last I checked, IB recruiters don't need you parents to own clothing factories in Tottenham Hale to get the job. cheesy

Talk about creating an argument from nothing.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by EreluY(f): 11:56am On Aug 13, 2012
Zechy09: To everybody in UK hustling, connections work like magic here in UK. Networking helps people land very good jobs.
My friend was working as a security man in TOTAL here, he used to gist with most of the managers when they go for a smoke and one day one of them asked him why he was still doing security work after an MSC in Subsea engineering and he said "no company wants to employ me". The man took his cv and sent it out to a few people and they called the boy for interview in London. The interview was about pay, not about technical knowledge. So guys network and pray.

You're absolutely right. See my post above.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LongOne1(m): 12:03pm On Aug 13, 2012
According to an old survey carried out by prospects, a website aimed at fresh graduates, the median salary in the UK is £20,800, with a £25,000 upper quartile. Therefore, I honestly do not know where some of these figures come from.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 12:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
^^^They come from investment banks.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by somebody(f): 12:05pm On Aug 13, 2012

Now, listen carefully so you learn something new. The UK salaries are available on the internet - there is nothing hidden. In Nigeria, most people lie about your salaries and no one can verify. I can tell you for certain that the prime minister earns £142,500 because everything is standarised (to an extent) and transparent. So if I tell you I am a lawyer with 4 - 5 years experience, you should be able to gauge my salary band. Taxation too is transparent - well except you are a contractor so you know how much the person gets after tax and NI.

Now, back to the reality. Engineering graduates will earn on average £26,000 fresh from university with oil & gas jobs being higher. Just a quick look at Exxon Mobil's website suggests thatthey will pay their graduates £35,000 plus £4,000 relocation allowance in addition to their first month's rent= £40,000+ pa. Shell graduate jobs are being advertised as £32,500 to £37,500. Accenture is advertising graduate jobs at £31,500pa + £10,000 sign on bonus = £41,500 pa. I got all these information from their respective websites. There is no hanky panky, no need to hide such info.

Now for an investment bank which is known for its ridiculously high salaries - Graduates are offered a basic salary of £45,000, sign on bonus of £5,000 to £7,000 (depending on bank), year end bonus of up to 75% of your base salary (c.£30,000 -not everybody will get this, some will get £20,000 depending on your performance). In total that is £80,000 if you include sign on bonuses- Just google investment banking analyst salaries and see for yourself. You have some forums just like this dedicated to young people in investment banking - on there they compare their salaries, bonuses. All the info is easily verifiable.

If you stay on and you get promoted to an Associate at an Investment Bank which is after 3 years of joining (again transparent system depending on who you ask), you get a £20,000 bonus that is separate from your salary and bonus. By the time you get to this level, you are easily on £75,000 basic salary and if you add everything up, they have earned more than £100,000 so 25 year olds get this sort of salaries easily.

The question to ask is how many Nigerians get these sort of jobs - NOT MANY but are there some Nigerians earning this sort of salaries - ABSOLUTELY YES.

I hope you have managed to learn a thing or two.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by LongOne1(m): 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
Claus: ^^^They come from investment banks.

Thanks, I feel a lot better now, lol.

Corporate investment banker : Salary and conditions
Tweet
• The average starting salary is between £32,000 and £40,000, with some companies still offering a golden handshake of around £4,000 to the most desirable candidates.
• After three or more years, salaries may range between £50,000 and £75,000.
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/corporate_investment_banker_salary.htm
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
debosky:
Talk about creating an argument from nothing.
Me sef tire oh.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Bright4(m): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2012
boyendowed:
You can go for globalization and development at the University of Manchester or globalization and governance at the University of Birmingham.You can also try courses like public policy or corporate governance
Thax
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 12:14pm On Aug 13, 2012
Long One:
Thanks, I feel a lot better now, lol.

Remember to also search for end of year bonuses (I see you've already included the sign on bonus/golden handshake).

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Another Military Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna / List Of States Where Okada And Keke Are Banned Or Restricted / Bent Truck Spotted In Motion In Lagos: Pictures & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.