Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,204 members, 7,845,985 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

- Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / (46202 Views)

Ten Steps To Better Self-esteem / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? / Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by queensmith: 12:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
jay bee: No matter what you teach them usually gets thrown outta the window once they start to taste freedom.

How do you stop a teenager from wearing mini skirts that attract the you know what dudes when the current dynamics/trends dictates that's probably what's needed to get accepted in the world?

Kids of today are well informed and the least we can do is to move with time as well as develop new ways to damage control for the if and when they do fall.

The idea of sex education for secondary school kids was started to encourage intimacy between children. It was more of an awareness campaign so they are well informed when making big decisions at early stages of there respective life.

next we will be hearing 'spaghetti tops lead to rape'. A national cleansing is needed. . . . . national cleansing.

Am I the only one seeing this? I can't be the only one. . . . .it just can't. . . . .

1 Like

Re: by fstranger9: 12:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
queensmith:

next we will be hearing 'spaghetti tops lead to rape'. A national cleansing is needed. . . . . national cleansing.

Am I the only one seeing this? I can't be the only one. . . . .it just can't. . . . .

You are arguing with unexposed dunderheads. Goodluck.
Re: by jaybee3(m): 12:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
queensmith:

Shouldn't provocative dressing be discouraged especially among the youth?
Re: by queensmith: 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
jay bee:
Shouldn't provocative dressing be discouraged especially among the youth?

not when we are intentionally labeling certain dressing as provocative down to what the male thinks. My child may like what she is wearing, provocative or not. Just because a man doesn't want to control himself I should discourage her from wearing it? Thats nonsense talk.

2 Likes

Re: by fstranger9: 12:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
jay bee:
Shouldn't[b] provocative[/b] dressing be discouraged especially among the youth?

Define provocative?

Agbaya! Wey wan spoil show for people like me.

That said, if by provocative you mean dressings that make women more vulnerable to vices like r/a/p/e, then you are simply getting it wrong. We shouldnt be discouraging women from dressing in 'miniskirts' because there is no evidence that women in mini-skirts are more likely to be raped than women in dirndls or burqas? Women were raped by the thousands in Somalia, Bosnia, Rwanda and the Congos, for example, and few if any of them were wearing bikinis or bustiers.
Re: by Kobojunkie: 12:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
queensmith:

I saw it, but considered it one of dem "NIGERIAN VALUES" we like to suggest exist . . . . grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: by kandiikane(m): 1:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
Sagamite, you have loss weight oo.

Nairaland stressing you out? cheesy grin
Re: by ronkebp(f): 3:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
Someone was asking what vaues Nigerians inculcate in their kids?

Not that i know many, but i will say the ones i know...Deols has said some. To start with the way westerners train or teach their kids is way-different from the nigerians....that one is for sure, even if the values are similar the methods used are different.

1. Majority of nigerian parents teach their female kids how to cook and be useful in the kitchen when they start living alone or for when they eventually get married, even if we have so many ladies that do not know how to cook now or do house chores, the reasons are not farfetched, did her parents train her well or was it the house girls that did everything?. majority of the weterners prefer to eat-out and maybe cook-up-easy-to-make sandwiches.

2. respect to elders, apart from being taught at home, not to talk back when they are being spoken to, the secondary schools do not play....my secondary school was a tough one, you dare not look at your seniors talk more of talking rudely to a teacher, teachers had the mantle of leadership, they could do and undo. Here, which teacher can really discipline a child as he/she should?. the parents will be bringing up hell if that happens. Imagine your parents talking to you and you stump your feet and leave before you are told to do so, infact that day you will ask who your real parents are?, and some people will call that abuse, that is why majority of the kids here have psychological problems, if they are yelled at once, they are dialling 911 agianst their parents.

3.Curfew: i really do not get the 11.00pm or 10.00pm curfews, they have here for their kids, their kids can be outside till 11.00pm, really? you gat to be kidding me, and you wonder why there are so many rape cases and teenage boys and girls are being murdered. what will a decent teenager be doing outside till 11.00pm....what type of friends are they keeping? anyways, in Nigeria i do not know any parent in their right senses that will allow their children to stay outside till 9.00 pm, infact in my house, if you are outside till 7.00pm, be ready to start answering questions on where you have been.
Re: by ronkebp(f): 3:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
Now lets talk about the dress-codes, hmmmmmmm!!!! in Naija, before you even step out of the house, you will here all these muslim fanatics (even those that are not fanatics) and some christians too, asking you if you have parents at home before you stepped out in that outfit? the little kids (especailly in the morth) will sing and clap their hands after that person. now you will call that "lack of civilisation", true, but we are not the westerners, we have our own culture and the ways we are expected to present ourselves in public. Here!!! OMG.....the kids cannot wait for "summer", you will see them wearing panties out all in the name of dressing warm. there was a time i was driving back from work and i just saw this two very young girls, say, 14 yrs of age, if you see what they wore all in the name of exercising, omo!!! that girl was lucky that she was not my daughter, just for the fact that she taught to dress that way; she will be recieving a nice dirty slap, without my spoken words, will know better than to step out in that manner, you will see them with their "cheeks" showing....hmmm!!!!!shocked shocked :

the average american teenager (boys) think about sex 24 hrs a day.....really?
Re: by coogar: 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp: Now lets talk about the dress-codes, hmmmmmmm!!!! in Naija, before you even step out of the house, you will here all these muslim fanatics (even those that are not fanatics) and some christians too, asking you if you have parents at home before you stepped out in that outfit? the little kids (especailly in the morth) will sing and clap their hands after that person. now you will call that "lack of civilisation", true, but we are not the westerners, we have our own culture and the ways we are expected to present ourselves in public. Here!!! OMG.....the kids cannot wait for "summer", you will see them wearing panties out all in the name of dressing warm. there was a time i was driving back from work and i just saw this two very young girls, say, 14 yrs of age, if you see what they wore all in the name of exercising, omo!!! that girl was lucky that she was not my daughter, just for the fact that she taught to dress that way; she will be recieving a nice dirty slap, without my spoken words, will know better than to step out in that manner, you will see them with their "cheeks" showing....hmmm!!!!!shocked shocked :

but has this strict discipline worked in nigeria?
our country still ships the highest number of prostitutes to europe. the male youths are 419/yahoo-boys/armed robbers.
premarital sex is rife in the country - even worse than any of the developed countries you can mention.
so it begs the question - what is the essence of the naija value when it has not produced any positive impact amongst the youths?
Re: by ronkebp(f): 4:00pm On Aug 15, 2012
coogar:

but has this strict discipline worked in nigeria?
our country still ships the highest number of prostitutes to europe. the male youths are 419/yahoo-boys/armed robbers.
premarital sex is rife in the country - even worse than any of the developed countries you can mention.
so it begs the question - what is the essence of the naija value when it has not produced any positive impact amongst the youths?

Blame that on the leaders and politics, and just because we have a few bad eggs which will always be the case, does not mean that we still do not have our values. you should ask what the values were when young boys that have been taught in godly way, still join "cult" in the universities that will eventually take his life. Just because we have these ills in the Nation, does not mean that there are no good ones, infact a lot of good ones. which country does not ship out young girls for prostitution?. maybe (India).
Re: by coogar: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp:

Blame that on the leaders and politics, and just because we have a few bad eggs which will always be the case, does not mean that we still do not have our values. you should ask what the values were when young boys that have been taught in godly way, still join "cult" in the universities that will eventually take his life. Just because we have these ills in the Nation, does not mean that there are no good ones, infact a lot of good ones. which country does not ship out young girls for prostitution?. maybe (India).

so the leaders and politics are the reason university chics sleep with men old enough to be their grand-dads? the reason naija men delve into armed robbery?
come on - stop kidding me. you wouldn't convince a kid of 5 with that theory. the truth is the so-called naija values have been pretty ineffective! kids are just scared of their parents/guardians.
i read the comparisons you made in your previous comment about young girls dressing too trashy in america. believe you me, naija kids want to dress like that too and they would if also given the chance.
Re: by queensmith: 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
at a point, you really have to sit down and ask yourselves questions about any culture or religion. Its ridiculous to excuse anything by saying 'that is how it's done' and to negatively label what should be common sense as 'western' and use this as an excuse to remain primitive.

Why exactly are the girls told to cover up? what is the rationale behind it? Its nothing to do with decency, the women fear losing their husbands to young females and the men want to excuse not being able to control themselves.
Since the mentality is already being carried that women are weak we continue with this sort of thinking, you are supposed to stop and reason with yourself- if my daughter wants to wear a low cut top why should i stop her? If my daughter has beautiful legs and wants to show it who am I to say she can't? Why cant she show off her banging figure with tight dress she used her money to buy? Who dares to dictate to her what she should do with her own body? How exactly does her dressing harm anybody?
Re: by ronkebp(f): 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
coogar:

so the leaders and politics are the reason university chics sleep with men old enough to be their grand-dads? the reason naija men delve into armed robbery?
come on - stop kidding me. you wouldn't convince a kid of 5 with that theory. the truth is the so-called naija values have been pretty ineffective! kids are just scared of their parents/guardians.
i read the comparisons you made in your previous comment about young girls dressing too trashy in america. believe you me, naija kids want to dress like that too and they would if also given the chance.
1. You should know me by now that i do not "type" to convince anybody, i say my mind, if you like take it or leave it.
2. Naija young girls will definitely want to dress like that but the problem is "they are not allowed to" which is part of "control".
3. So because we have armed robbers here and there in nAIJA, it now means that they were never taught, anyways some parents are in the "know" that their kids are armed robbers oooo or cultist...and no one knows what is obtainable in other peoples' homes. I am talking for myself, my experiiences and what i have seen from other homes too, and even my little community.
4. When i made references to Naija politics and leadership, i was not saying solely that it was or is the reason behind misbehaviour among the youth. it is really palying a part in it. and what you personally become is in your hands, you were taught how to live a decent life, is not equal to you will learn or has learnt how to live a decent life.
Re: by ronkebp(f): 4:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
queensmith: at a point, you really have to sit down and ask yourselves questions about any culture or religion. Its ridiculous to excuse anything by saying 'that is how it's done' and to negatively label what should be common sense as 'western' and use this as an excuse to remain primitive.

Why exactly are the girls told to cover up? what is the rationale behind it? Its nothing to do with decency, the women fear losing their husbands to young females and the men want to excuse not being able to control themselves.
Since the mentality is already being carried that women are weak we continue with this sort of thinking, you are supposed to stop and reason with yourself- if my daughter wants to wear a low cut top why should i stop her? If my daughter has beautiful legs and wants to show it who am I to say she can't? Why cant she show off her banging figure with tight dress she used her money to buy? Who dares to dictate to her what she should do with her own body? How exactly does her dressing harm anybody?

And also ask youself what is the rationale behind a girl of 13 saying she wants to wear "a low-cut top" or a "mini skirt". Why does she want to dress in such manner? when she can conveniently wear clothes that can cover her private-parts well.
when you start to have kids, your thoughts would be about "protecting" them and not exposing them to vultures and lions, who will profess unnecessary affection or love to them because of their looks and the fact that they want a piece of the pie.
Re: by Kobojunkie: 4:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp: Someone was asking what vaues Nigerians inculcate in their kids?

Not that i know many, but i will say the ones i know...Deols has said some. To start with the way westerners train or teach their kids is way-different from the nigerians....that one is for sure, even if the values are similar the methods used are different.
Like someone already pointed out. @Deol posted NOTHING Nigeria specific. That post was filled with what could be considered values in so many parts of the world, including the west. So, please let's not now pretend we have cracked this "NIGERIAN VALUES" Mystery.

ronkebp:
1. Majority of nigerian parents teach their female kids how to cook and be useful in the kitchen when they start living alone or for when they eventually get married, even if we have so many ladies that do not know how to cook now or do house chores, the reasons are not farfetched, did her parents train her well or was it the house girls that did everything?. majority of the weterners prefer to eat-out and maybe cook-up-easy-to-make sandwiches.
Parents in the west too do about the same. In fact, they even go a step further and teach their kids BOTH MALE and FEMALE, how to cook.

And it is funny, you brought us back to this "TRAINING FOR MARRIAGE" mentality which we have already discussed at leangth.

ronkebp:
2. respect to elders, apart from being taught at home, not to talk back when they are being spoken to, the secondary schools do not play....my secondary school was a tough one, you dare not look at your seniors talk more of talking rudely to a teacher, teachers had the mantle of leadership, they could do and undo. Here, which teacher can really discipline a child as he/she should?. the parents will be bringing up hell if that happens. Imagine your parents talking to you and you stump your feet and leave before you are told to do so, infact that day you will ask who your real parents are?, and some people will call that abuse, that is why majority of the kids here have psychological problems, if they are yelled at once, they are dialling 911 agianst their parents.

Respect for elders applys every where on this planet. Westerners also teach their kids these skills. However,that Nigerians take it too far cannot be denied. I mean you have parents who, even in the west go as far as to demand that they be seen still as 'gods' to their kids and that to me is disturbing but then, I am not sure if that can be considered a value of any kind given we have no way of directly measuring that now.

Now to your claim that many of the kids here develop psychological problems when yelled at, that is because many of them were not raised as animals , and so when you try to treat them like animals, you create a problem.

Even some animals are not raised in that manner. You try yelling at a cat and you find it will jump in fright and run. So, that kids in Nigeria have been treated in such a way that they no longer react but have been conditioned to believe that is what they deserve. You find the same behaviour here with kids who are raised in similar ways. Go to parts of West Virginia, Alabama, and Texas and see.

ronkebp:
3.Curfew: i really do not get the 11.00pm or 10.00pm curfews, they have here for their kids, their kids can be outside till 11.00pm, really? you gat to be kidding me, and you wonder why there are so many rape cases and teenage boys and girls are being murdered. what will a decent teenager be doing outside till 11.00pm....what type of friends are they keeping? anyways, in Nigeria i do not know any parent in their right senses that will allow their children to stay outside till 9.00 pm, infact in my house, if you are outside till 7.00pm, be ready to start answering questions on where you have been.

Sorry but there is no general rule on this anywhere. The major reason why many people in Nigeria go indoor early is because the place is less safe. In the 80's we used to sleep outside in the yard till past 12 am. Try that today and you are asking for, in fact, inviting trouble.
Re: by Kobojunkie: 4:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp: Now lets talk about the dress-codes, hmmmmmmm!!!! in Naija, before you even step out of the house, you will here all these muslim fanatics (even those that are not fanatics) and some christians too, asking you if you have parents at home before you stepped out in that outfit? the little kids (especailly in the morth) will sing and clap their hands after that person. now you will call that "lack of civilisation", true, but we are not the westerners, we have our own culture and the ways we are expected to present ourselves in public. Here!!! OMG.....the kids cannot wait for "summer", you will see them wearing panties out all in the name of dressing warm. there was a time i was driving back from work and i just saw this two very young girls, say, 14 yrs of age, if you see what they wore all in the name of exercising, omo!!! that girl was lucky that she was not my daughter, just for the fact that she taught to dress that way; she will be recieving a nice dirty slap, without my spoken words, will know better than to step out in that manner, you will see them with their "cheeks" showing....hmmm!!!!!shocked shocked :

I hate when people try to run under the "culture" flag on this one. Do you realize that the so-called culture had women dressing in skimpy skirts and essentially bra tops for generations? Or are you lost on that one? From the East, to the West, to the North, Most every culture had their woman in attires that bared their midriffs and skits that were short enough to expose half of their thigh area.

Please go rent a copy of "Things fall apart", an Ogunde movie or "Maga na Jarise" abi, how do they spell that one.

ronkebp:

I think you were high when you decided to type the above statement . . . cause NO ONE WHO IS NIGERIAN would attempt to declare that there exists a race out there that things less of sex than Nigerians do, NO ONE!
Re: by coogar: 4:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp:
1. You should know me by now that i do not "type" to convince anybody, i say my mind, if you like take it or leave it.
ok..fair enough!

2. Naija young girls will definitely want to dress like that but the problem is "they are not allowed to" which is part of "control".

but is this really "control" when it's well documented that the naija young girls are more promiscuous than their counterparts in the usa/uk who had no restrictions to dress whichever way they want?

3. So because we have armed robbers here and there in nAIJA, it now means that they were never taught, anyways some parents are in the "know" that their kids are armed robbers oooo or cultist...and no one knows what is obtainable in other peoples' homes. I am talking for myself, my experiiences and what i have seen from other homes too, and even my little community.

of course, they were taught but the strict discipline(naija values) is ineffective if they were taught and they refused to learn from what is being taught. how do we know a different approach wouldn't produce better results in shaping these kids? you then mention your little commuinity....you mean there are no robbers in your community? there are no girls who run after men for money in your community?

4. When i made references to Naija politics and leadership, i was not saying solely that it was or is the reason behind misbehaviour among the youth. it is really palying a part in it. and what you personally become is in your hands, you were taught how to live a decent life, is not equal to you will learn or has learnt how to live a decent life.

whether they were taught to live a decent life is not in question but rather how these lessons were taught......no one is saying kids shouldn't be taught how to be decent....the question is what methods are being used to train these kids? the military approach has not worked in nigeria, it might have worked for a few minority but the vast majority have not learnt anything from the strict discipline.
Re: by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 15, 2012

And the Nigerian teenager doesn't
Re: by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2012

CULTURE
Re: by queensmith: 4:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp:

And also ask youself what is the rationale behind a girl of 13 saying she wants to wear "a low-cut top" or a "mini skirt". Why does she want to dress in such manner? when she can conveniently wear clothes that can cover her private-parts well.
when you start to have kids, your thoughts would be about "protecting" them and not exposing them to vultures and lions, who will profess unnecessary affection or love to them because of their looks and the fact that they want a piece of the pie.

So what you are saying is we should take pedophiles into consideration when dressing our female children? . . . . . .. . . WOW!
Re: by coogar: 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
naijababe:

And the Nigerian teenager doesn't

rofl!
it's even worse in nigeria.....a country where you can send a kid of 2 yrs to buy cigarettes, alcohol, weed and even condoms without hassles.
i just dunno why we love to deceive ourselves that kids are better trained in nigeria.
Re: by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
coogar:

rofl!
it's even worse in nigeria.....a country where you can send a kid of 2 yrs to buy cigarettes, alcohol, weed and even condoms without hassles.
i just dunno why we love to deceive ourselves that kids are better trained in nigeria.

You forget we are a nation of ostriches, you only need to sit down with 11 yr old naija boys to know wassup!
Re: by ronkebp(f): 4:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:
Like someone already pointed out. @Deol posted NOTHING Nigeria specific. That post was filled with what could be considered values in so many parts of the world, including the west. So, please let's not now pretend we have cracked this "NIGERIAN VALUES" Mystery.
whether you believe what any body says or not, that will not change the fact that Nigeria has it's own values, do not know how you were raised, but i was raised the Nigerian way, and i did not turn out bad and none of my siblings are turning out bad.

Kobojunkie:
Parents in the west too do about the same. In fact, they even go a step further and teach their kids BOTH MALE and FEMALE, how to cook.

And it is funny, you brought us back to this "TRAINING FOR MARRIAGE" mentality which we have already discussed at leangth.
training for marraige is an aspect of "training for life"....
there is no-way you can detach that, even you do not comeout to say "oh, i am training you on how to behave in your husband's house", it is usually implied,it is always there.
I don't know where a parent here teach their kids how to cook, when they themselves do not cook, maybe you are talking about our mothers' generation, right now they are burger king, macdonalds, wendy's candidates/ generation.

Kobojunkie:
Respect for elders applys every where on this planet. Westerners also teach their kids these skills. However,that Nigerians take it too far cannot be denied. I mean you have parents who, even in the west go as far as to demand that they be seen still as 'gods' to their kids and that to me is disturbing but then, I am not sure if that can be considered a value of any kind given we have no way of directly measuring that now.

Now to your claim that many of the kids here develop psychological problems when yelled at, that is because many of them were not raised as animals , and so when you try to treat them like animals, you create a problem.

Even some animals are not raised in that manner. You try yelling at a cat and you find it will jump in fright and run. So, that kids in Nigeria have been treated in such a way that they no longer react but have been conditioned to believe that is what they deserve. You find the same behaviour here with kids who are raised in similar ways. Go to parts of West Virginia, Alabama, and Texas and see.
so you think Nigerian kids are animals because they are being yelled at (i laugh in french) toh!!! that is why they will keep having kids that are not psychologically balanced, who will take a gun to school to kill all other kids because they do not have the proper training and upbringing that a normal child should have. When i watch the media or movies here, i do not any respect there. No one can tell me anything about respect, maybe in their homes, the kids are really disciplined, and again, what i see, tells volume.

Kobojunkie:
Sorry but there is no general rule on this anywhere. The major reason why many people in Nigeria go indoor early is because the place is less safe. In the 80's we used to sleep outside in the yard till past 12 am. Try that today and you are asking for, in fact, inviting trouble.
And you think it is normal to leave a child outside till 11pm, forget safety and security....what will a teenager be doing outside till 11.00pm?
Re: by coogar: 4:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
naijababe:

You forget we are a nation of ostriches, you only need to sit down with 11 yr old naija boys to know wassup!

it baffles me that the moral decadence keeps stinking with the 70 churches per street in lagos. it's not like naija kids don't get these
messages. in school, religious houses, parents, etc and yet nothing seems to be working.
Re: by Sagamite(m): 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
kandiikane: Sagamite, you have loss weight oo.

Nairaland stressing you out? cheesy grin

Nah! It is sexercise!
Re: by ronkebp(f): 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I hate when people try to run under the "culture" flag on this one. Do you realize that the so-called culture had women dressing in skimpy skirts and essentially bra tops for generations? Or are you lost on that one? From the East, to the West, to the North, Most every culture had their woman in attires that bared their midriffs and skits that were short enough to expose half of their thigh area.

Please go rent a copy of "Things fall apart", an Ogunde movie or "Maga na Jarise" abi, how do they spell that one.

so you want to compare then to now? you want to compare how virginity was really worshipped and expected then to now?

Kobojunkie:
I think you were high when you decided to type the above statement . . . cause NO ONE WHO IS NIGERIAN would attempt to declare that there exists a race out there that things less of sex than Nigerians do, NO ONE!
I borrowed the "ganger" from you, well i did not see or hear any report about Naija guys, was referring to the CNN news i heard/listened to sometime ago and it was about the average "american teenager".
Re: by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
coogar:

it baffles me that the moral decadence keeps stinking with the 70 churches per street in lagos. it's not like naija kids don't get these
messages. in school, religious houses, parents, etc and yet nothing seems to be working.

Churches that are largely filled with hypocrites?! Don't think for a second that these kids don't know that!
Re: by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp:
whether you believe what any body says or not, that will not change the fact that Nigeria has it's own values, do not know how you were raised, but i was raised the Nigerian way, and i did not turn out bad and none of my siblings are turning out bad.

Actually, you cannot just make up your own facts and then tell us it applies to all. Either you can show what you are saying even exists beyond your mind, or you accept it is likely just a crock of bull. . . . To declare that there are Nigeria-specific "VALUES" out there(note: not training method) you will at leasat need to show that these values do exist.

ronkebp:
training for marraige is an aspect of "training for life"....
there is no-way you can detach that, even you do not comeout to say "oh, i am training you on how to behave in your husband's house", it is usually implied,it is always there.
I don't know where a parent here teach their kids how to cook, when they themselves do not cook, maybe you are talking about our mothers' generation, right now they are burger king, macdonalds, wendy's candidates/ generation.
If only that were true, then you would apply the same standards to how you train your boys. But unfortunately we all know that this specific training seems to apply only to your daughters, and it is applied in such a manner as to continue propagation of the mentality that woman NEED TO DO THINGS to hold on to their men.

ronkebp:
so you think Nigerian kids are animals because they are being yelled at (i laugh in french) toh!!! that is why they will keep having kids that are not psychologically balanced, who will take a gun to school to kill all other kids because they do not have the proper training and upbringing that a normal child should have. When i watch the media or movies here, i do not any respect there. No one can tell me anything about respect, maybe in their homes, the kids are really disciplined, and again, what i see, tells volume.
I did not tell you kids are animals. You are the one who complained that Western kids get a jolt when screamed at but Nigerian kids are generally so hardened that they screaming at them does not even register on their "I CARE" meter.

ronkebp:
And you think it is normal to leave a child outside till 11pm, forget safety and security....what will a teenager be doing outside till 11.00pm?
You would need to tell us what is abnormal in letting a child grow up with no fear. I had much the same freedom growing up in Nigeria and I grew up into a sensible adult.
Re: by ronkebp(f): 4:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
coogar:
ok..fair enough!
but is this really "control" when it's well documented that the naija young girls are more promiscuous than their counterparts in the usa/uk who had no restrictions to dress whichever way they want?
really? did not know that Naija teenager are more promiscuous, i do not know how they came about that figure or analysis?, when majority of the "black teenage girls" in america have kids, majority of them (both whites and blacks) are on birth control pills.

coogar:
of course, they were taught but the strict discipline(naija values) is ineffective if they were taught and they refused to learn from what is being taught. how do we know a different approach wouldn't produce better results in shaping these kids? you then mention your little commuinity....you mean there are no robbers in your community? there are no girls who run after men for money in your community?
oh please forget about armed robbery and prostitutes, like i said, which coutry does not have them, America does,we have drug peddlers too here so what is your arguement. Every country has it's own problems. Does that mean that there are still no good ones that were trained in the same manner and still turn out well?

coogar:
whether they were taught to live a decent life is not in question but rather how these lessons were taught......no one is saying kids shouldn't be taught how to be decent....the question is what methods are being used to train these kids? the military approach has not worked in nigeria, it might have worked for a few minority but the vast majority have not learnt anything from the strict discipline.

So what approach work? to throw caution to the air, so is democracy now working for the whole country?
Re: by ronkebp(f): 4:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
queensmith:

So what you are saying is we should take pedophiles into consideration when dressing our female children? . . . . . .. . . WOW!

How do you want to dress your female or children or how do you want them to dress?
Re: by coogar: 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp: really? did not know that Naija teenager are more promiscuous, i do not know how they came about that figure or analysis?, when majority of the "black teenage girls" in america have kids, majority of them (both whites and blacks) are on birth control pills.

whilst their naija counterparts are laughing their way into abortion clinics, taking paraga and other dirty substances to flush out their fetus....
abegggi, be realistic.

oh please forget about armed robbery and prostitutes, like i said, which coutry does not have them, America does,we have drug peddlers too here so what is your arguement. Every country has it's own problems. Does that mean that there are still no good ones that were trained in the same manner and still turn out well?

that's the point....if america have the same vices as nigeria, why then do nigerian parents apply strict discipline to restrict their kids?
what's the essence if there's no marked difference?

So what approach work? to throw caution to the air, so is democracy now working for the whole country?

stop abusing the children! that's the approach.
there's no point wasting muscles on these kids when we all know they are still going to behave like the kids of developed countries who don't get caned or punished severely...

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply)

Nigerian Children - Boys Were Asked To Slap A Girl. See What Happened Next! / 9 Children Raised by Animals. / My Wedding Pictures - Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.