Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,103 members, 7,811,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos (21258 Views)

Police And Lastma Official Killed Tanker Driver / Deadly Punch Lands NURTW Ticketing Official In Morgue - Tribune / Gunmen Kill Ex-CBN Official In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 11, 2012
gramci:

Not as simple as you think, the new LSG traffic law will have a lot of unintended consequences.
Nigerians are full of excuses of their failure to follow the rules. Yes, every law has it own consequences of not obeying it.

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by jude33084(m): 11:55am On Aug 11, 2012
baslone:

Only if you have experienced the lastma torture.

Just obey τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ law ΆŋԂ be patient with trafic rules ΆŋԂ regulations. Is that Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† Ɣ☺Ʊ call torture? undecided
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by xcuggsm(m): 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2012
I just drove past some LASTMA official on Western Ave, Lagos; all I did was swerve my SUV a little toward where they were standing and believe me, they all leapt out of the way - triple jump style!.

New morale for LASTMA officials: "THE FEAR OF LAGOS DRIVERS IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM"
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by cyril83(m): 12:06pm On Aug 11, 2012
The silly officer got himself killed jooor...must you catch everybody that disobey traffic law...this is happening everywhere,once you disobey traffic law by beatin red light or take one way,I don't expect any officer to be pursuing such vehicle,the only thing you can do is to take down plate number and be watchful but nigerian officers overdo...may his soul rest in peace anyway
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by jude33084(m): 12:11pm On Aug 11, 2012
Jakumo: A good lawyer will establish that the motorist ran over that individual either out of fear that the road-block had been set up by robbers, as a result of mechanical failure in the speeding vehicle's brakes and or steering, or due to instinctual evasive driving caused by the sudden appearance of an unexpected road-block erected at an unsafe location.

Future Nigerian President Fashola must, in his capacity as Lagos State governor, emulate other industrialized nations of the Western world by assigning all traffic law enforcement duties to municipal officers whose duties are limited to the issuance of traffic citations payable in the court of jurisdiction applicable to the location where the offence was alleged to have occurred.

Every legally registered vehicle that plies Nigerian roads is owned by an individual or corporation of KNOWN identity and street address. Within all cities, parking violation notice tickets can be taped to the front windows of short-term parking offenders, while the tow-truck removal of abandoned vehicles should be a matter of routine, in the interests of public safety. Nigeria is a tense enough country as it is without Lagos motorists having to also contend with the possibility being targeted for extortion and vehicle impoundment over often imaginary offences.

What should NOT occur, in any metropolis that hopes to retain civil order on the streets, is for groups of hungry-looking “officials” to loiter in ambush for motorists in the exact same way as do car-jacking bandits, poised to wrestle doors open and leap un-invited into the cars of unsuspecting road-users who then face an array of equally unpleasant options ranging from being forced to head towards “the office” for vehicle impound, to laboriously negotiating bribes demanded for leniency, to getting in fist-fights and trying to kick the uninvited hitchhikers out the car door so as to flee the scene.

Governor Fashola, PLEASE disband that gang of extortionists and road-side banditos, known in Lagos Nigeria as LASTMA, (which stands for : Lay Ambush, Stalk, Trap, Manhandle and Aggravate). Remove those disruptive LASTMA chimpanzees from the streets of Lagos, and re-engage them as municipal sewage disposal engineers for the city, since their services would be better appreciated there by all who have ever encountered them. Reckless driving pursuits are the job of the POLICE. All other traffic offenses must be handled in a way that does not violate the right of citizens to freedom of movement and due process of law for those accused of traffic offences.

Ɣ☺Ʊ tried in ♈☺uЯ write up ßŮϯ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ bolded part have holes. I stay in thomas estate ajar ΆŋԂ those stories u gave won't work. Remeber that τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ report said she took oneway wink ΆŋԂ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ t̶̲̥̅̊iϻe of τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ accident? with that alone she is guilty if τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ whole story is true cool
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by ny2kx1(m): 12:13pm On Aug 11, 2012
Lastma official needs not to be running after an offender. Get cameras to prove and some other technologies, for instant each plate no can be configured with a particular database with your infos like house and office address etc........ so dat offenders can be trace easily without any kind of assault.
Most of dis lastma are illiterates, lack manners and are kind of frustrated with d job. some are even very corrupt!
expect more officials to die like chicken! Abi u wan go prison?
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:18pm On Aug 11, 2012
She breached a popular Law - NEVER DRIVE AGAINST TRAFFIC UNLESS YOU ARE A UNIFORMED OFFICER grin
LASTMA Official breached a common-sense Law - Never Stand in Front of any Vehicle driven by a Woman

The Law must take its course

3 Likes

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Aksonman: 12:18pm On Aug 11, 2012
Akoba Adaba olorun ma je ka ri sad angry

FEMALE BANKER KNOCKS DOWN LASTMA OFFICIAL.

Reports have it that one Ms Yinka Johnson, a female banker with Standard IBTC bank, yesterday knocked down a Lagos State traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) official, 33-year-old Hammed Balogun, who later died as a result of injuries sustained

The General Manager LASTMA, Engr. Babatunde Edu, said the deceased was carrying out his official assignment at his duty post at Mega City, Ajah area of Lagos before he met his untimely death. He said the driver fled the scene after crushing the LASTMA official to death, adding that she was later arrested with the help of the Area J Commander, ACP Felix Vwamhi.

May the soul of Hammed Balogun rest in peace. Here's hoping the suspect is quickly charged to court and gets a fair trial.

I sincerely hope LASTMA officials will curb that habit of suddenly jumping in front of moving vehicles thinking that their uniform will automatically make the car stop. I've come close to killing a couple myself.

http://mrstanleynwabia..com/2012/08/female-banker-knocks-down-lastma.html
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by isaco(m): 12:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
To d LASTMA officer, RIP! Dat woman is very wicked, imagine! killing human being. God! Remember d officer has wife, children, family member dat are looking forward to him. Now he has been killed by a heatless woman. Now, to all of you that are lawless in dis country, all d developed states have traffic law lik this. Can any idiot drive d way we drive here in d developed country abroad even in some country in Africa? Dis is a good law and it has come to stay. Learn to obey the rules, don't make nig a lawless state.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by tnktosin(m): 12:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
Jakumo: A good lawyer will establish that the motorist ran over that individual either out of fear that the road-block had been set up by robbers, as a result of mechanical failure in the speeding vehicle's brakes and or steering, or due to instinctual evasive driving caused by the sudden appearance of an unexpected road-block erected at an unsafe location.

Future Nigerian President Fashola must, in his capacity as Lagos State governor, emulate other industrialized nations of the Western world by assigning all traffic law enforcement duties to municipal officers whose duties are limited to the issuance of traffic citations payable in the court of jurisdiction applicable to the location where the offence was alleged to have occurred.

Every legally registered vehicle that plies Nigerian roads is owned by an individual or corporation of KNOWN identity and street address. Within all cities, parking violation notice tickets can be taped to the front windows of short-term parking offenders, while the tow-truck removal of abandoned vehicles should be a matter of routine, in the interests of public safety. Nigeria is a tense enough country as it is without Lagos motorists having to also contend with the possibility being targeted for extortion and vehicle impoundment over often imaginary offences.

What should NOT occur, in any metropolis that hopes to retain civil order on the streets, is for groups of hungry-looking “officials” to loiter in ambush for motorists in the exact same way as do car-jacking bandits, poised to wrestle doors open and leap un-invited into the cars of unsuspecting road-users who then face an array of equally unpleasant options ranging from being forced to head towards “the office” for vehicle impound, to laboriously negotiating bribes demanded for leniency, to getting in fist-fights and trying to kick the uninvited hitchhikers out the car door so as to flee the scene.

Governor Fashola, PLEASE disband that gang of extortionists and road-side banditos, known in Lagos Nigeria as LASTMA, (which stands for : Lay Ambush, Stalk, Trap, Manhandle and Aggravate). Remove those disruptive LASTMA chimpanzees from the streets of Lagos, and re-engage them as municipal sewage disposal engineers for the city, since their services would be better appreciated there by all who have ever encountered them. Reckless driving pursuits are the job of the POLICE. All other traffic offenses must be handled in a way that does not violate the right of citizens to freedom of movement and due process of law for those accused of traffic offences.
U made some good points... Except for Fashola as future president. Anyway, fingers crossed
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by flexyonline: 12:24pm On Aug 11, 2012
The underlying cause of this incident is not being highlighted here. The root cause of this incident is the wicked and punitive nature of LCC that has that lekki-épée road concession. That mega chicken junction is a major entrance to an estate of over 1000 houses many of who their business takes them to VI for work as such will need to turn back towards chevron toll gate. What did LCC do? They put the turning about 20m after the junction and then the next one at VGC. Because people don't want to spend 30 mins to go and turn in VGC because of this same LCC traffic, they drive not on the main road (so it's not one way) but in front of the estate and get on the road opposite the turning to make that turn. This is where LASTMA officials hide to catch people. What I don't get is that LASG wants the people to conform to 21st century laws while they provide 19th century infrastructure. You don't have good roads or signs, no traffic cameras, no vehicle database and you want to enforce laws. For instance, if you contravene me for driving without seatbelt, how do you prove it? Word of mouth? Govt needs to get it's act right.

FYI I don't have any slightest sympathy for LASTMA. Sorry, to say but I'm not sad they are killed. I'm sorry really and feel bad for feeling this way but can't help it.

5 Likes

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Smooth278(m): 12:27pm On Aug 11, 2012
Nashville: All I keep hearing is "nobody wants to go to jail", does that justify her actions? Why should she go against traffic when she is not insane? Even to the point of killing someone. Shows how much we value life in Nigeria. She doesn't mind killing someone just because she wanted to get home on time. Na wah o!

I hope she stays in jail for a long long time. I am not a fan of LASTMA but they are human and should not be run over!

Well the SANITY of the lastma official that day must be established cos only a nitwit wud stand in-front of a moving vehicle!!!
Truth to be told won't shed no tears for him though!!!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by cyril83(m): 12:31pm On Aug 11, 2012
isaco: To d LASTMA officer, RIP! Dat woman is very wicked, imagine! killing human being. God! Remember d officer has wife, children, family member dat are looking forward to him. Now he has been killed by a heatless woman. Now, to all of you that are lawless in dis country, all d developed states have traffic law lik this. Can any idiot drive d way we drive here in d developed country abroad even in some country in Africa? Dis is a good law and it has come to stay. Learn to obey the rules, don't make nig a lawless state.
the officer didn't pity his family and himself,he forgot to detach his life from his work, a big lesson to other officers
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 11, 2012
God knows how many times i've felt like running over a LASTMA officer. She was wrong but cant help feeling sorry for her- and the unlucky sod.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deb(m): 12:38pm On Aug 11, 2012
ifeci:

So why did she run from the scene if your claim is true?

How sure are you that LASTMA claim is the correct one and they are not just trying to get a scapegoat?
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by mejai(m): 12:44pm On Aug 11, 2012
let's be real. Even if she wasn't d one dat hit d lastma man, life is in invovled here. A case of being at d wrong place at d wrong tym. Why goin against d traffic in d first place? Was her house on fire? Or was she informed dat d husband was sleeping wit d maid? Funny how realities set in after our wrong doing. When satan is at work u will know. I stay @ vgc, d rate most drivers make a u-turn b4 d designated junction is alarming. She has committed an offence & why would she run 2 her house(not policestation o) & d estate security even refused openin d gate. No road in lagos is traffic-free, makeup ur mind & stay in dat traffic or u buy okada, use bus. Now, 'had i known' will becloud her conscience. Pls lastma men r humans like us. 50,000 naira(at worse) is cheaper dan killin a soul & spendin more dan dat 2 get fair judgement, yet, jail waits 4 u.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by isquar3d3(m): 12:54pm On Aug 11, 2012
ifeci:

So why did she run from the scene if your claim is true?
if LASTMAn don nab u b4, u go knw say d default mentality is always 2 run. Nt saying it's d best option though.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by theking5: 1:03pm On Aug 11, 2012
Damn u latsma official, fashola is now converting all alaye's in lagos now as latsma and kai offical's without giving them adequate and requisite training needed to execute d job, even giving them orientation on how to work with d people in d society, how can somebody go and stand in front of a vehicle just bcs u want to arrest d person without fearing 4 ur own life, in every security training, ur safety is d first thing b4 any other thing. I see d way dis people try to arrest d so called traffic offender's and you begin to ask if they are trained at all. D woman just need to get a good lawyer who will slug it out with them and set her free. As for me I have no pity for d man that died, serve's him right, let other's learn lesson from it, ur life first, bcs if u die d job will alwasy go on, y kill urself bcs u want to collect little bribe.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by unclenna(m): 1:05pm On Aug 11, 2012
Biggyd2:

Meanwhile the government is saying that they are not interested in people going to jail.

On the road traffic law, the Special Adviser to the governor on Environment, Mr. TaAofeek Folami, maintained that the law was in the interest of the public while responding to a question raised by concerned residents who described the road traffic law as “obnoxious”.

He said the state government is not interested in sending people to jail over the new traffic law and other bills that were signed into law recently.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/road-traffic-law-we-are-not-interested-in-sending-people-to-jail-fashola/

If they are not interested in people going to jail why was the law put in place in the first place? Or are they now saying that people cannot read and understand anymore?

I agree with having a Traffic Law, but it must have a human face. I have said in another thread that these LASTMA officials will be used as practice targets especially by men of the armed forces. How many of them will not resist arrest when confronted by LASTMA? Again, because majority of Lagosians believe that the penalties are too steep, they will rather try to run when caught instead of paying those fines i.e. danfo, okada and even some private drivers. And of course who is more at risk - 1. the driver who will take off as soon as he sees any little space or 2. The Lastma standing in front of or beside the arrested vehicle?
Lagosians are really enjoying the Fashola they voted. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Ama28(f): 1:23pm On Aug 11, 2012
What a loss! A good lawyer and FIDA can bring her out. Moreover she has a two months old and lagos state has domesticate the child Right Act. She is a waning mother and her child is going into detention with her. The work of a good refined learned fellow. Its a traffic accident
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nimshi: 1:25pm On Aug 11, 2012
theking5: Damn u latsma official, fashola is now converting all alaye's in lagos now as latsma and kai offical's without giving them adequate and requisite training needed to execute d job, even giving them orientation on how to work with d people in d society, , how can somebody go and stand in front of a vehicle just bcs u want to arrest d person without fearing 4 ur own life, . . . .

Unfortunately, many LASTMA officers do this very dangerous thing.

Perhaps they believe in their immortality; but whatever juju they have hasn't been working

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Leboska(m): 1:26pm On Aug 11, 2012
As far as i'm concern its self defence, cos those tout humilate people,intimidate & even kill those they can. A friend of mine was killed by them... Well my sympathy.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 11, 2012
I said here when that law was passed that drivers will rather crush the LASTMA guys than go to jail. That is my route too and, given the serious traffic we experience on that road due to the construction activities of the incompetent Lagos state govt's concessionaire, LCC. I also take that one-way once in a while. Now it's a story foretold.

Those LASTMA guys can be very daring. Even if the lady will eventually spend the rest of her life in jail, it doesn't bring back the life of the dead officer. And another person will fill the vacancy.

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 11, 2012
profola2be:

if you like,go and consult late Gani Fawehinmi of blessed memory, for her,i can bet it with you,the door of prison is widely opened before her!

I am aamzed at your naivety. Well connected people never go to jail in Nigeria. If the case is really bad, she will jump bail to UK or US.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2012
I have seen lastma officials drag wheel from driver of moving vehicle. Believe me, i have no mercy for those lastma official. Although, i wont kill them given the chance - but believe me - never say never - i hate them pass snakes. And yes, i have gone through their torture.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by lukkie(m): 2:02pm On Aug 11, 2012
flexyonline: The underlying cause of this incident is not being highlighted here. The root cause of this incident is the wicked and punitive nature of LCC that has that lekki-épée road concession. That mega chicken junction is a major entrance to an estate of over 1000 houses many of who their business takes them to VI for work as such will need to turn back towards chevron toll gate. What did LCC do? They put the turning about 20m after the junction and then the next one at VGC. Because people don't want to spend 30 mins to go and turn in VGC because of this same LCC traffic, they drive not on the main road (so it's not one way) but in front of the estate and get on the road opposite the turning to make that turn. This is where LASTMA officials hide to catch people. What I don't get is that LASG wants the people to conform to 21st century laws while they provide 19th century infrastructure. You don't have good roads or signs, no traffic cameras, no vehicle database and you want to enforce laws. For instance, if you contravene me for driving without seatbelt, how do you prove it? Word of mouth? Govt needs to get it's act right.

FYI I don't have any slightest sympathy for LASTMA. Sorry, to say but I'm not sad they are killed. I'm sorry really and feel bad for feeling this way but can't help it.

This is the truth. I always wonder how Ikota residents manage to come out in the morning. The "one way" situation at that spot is as a result of LCC's irresponsibilty & inefficiency.

I only pity the LASTMAn's family if he has any. They are simply untrained crooks who lay ambush for drivers in order to collect bribes. It happens on Lekki road everyday. If Fashola refuses to call them to order, drivers will keep killing them.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 11, 2012
If she is high placed or highly connected with politicians and big lawyers,nothing would happen.this is nigeria land of jungle.
ebamma: i have now belief that saying that what a man can do a woman will do better,mrs yinka kirikiri prisons await you,the dead lastma is now controlling traffic in hell
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Shokoloko(f): 2:54pm On Aug 11, 2012
scribble:

lol....jealous about what....just cos i won't work under the same circumstances that lead to these corp naija types gettin frustrated, i turned down a 7 figure offer straight out of college...
but u can apply that contraption u call a brain to keep talking bullcrap
i have run into some psychos who are only psychos cos they have to spend like 4 hours in traffic a day at the least
i wonder why they dont just liberate selves from corporate slavery

lol. ur jealous
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by jify(f): 2:59pm On Aug 11, 2012
God forgive me but it's d woman I'm feeling sorry 4. I have seen where a lastma official jumped in front of a moving vehicle on Kingsway road all because d person was on d phone. D lastma official jumped out of nowhere n d man almost killed him. So I can just imagine how they risk their life for money they want to collect.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Shokoloko(f): 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2012
scribble some bankers who are full staff are on 7 and 8 figure salaries. Besides there are opportunities for business in the banks cos you get to hear firsthand sometimes before the info gets to the public.
trust me, its not all of them that parade in church that have small salaries.
bankers are taught to be conservative (most are)
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Shokoloko(f): 3:12pm On Aug 11, 2012
Laalamed: If she is high placed or highly connected with politicians and big lawyers,nothing would happen.this is nigeria land of jungle.

if that woman goes to jail it will be because she hired a cheap incompetent lawyer.
This is an actually an easy win.
Lastma should learn to value their lives and keep away from speeding vehicles
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by fe32(m): 3:16pm On Aug 11, 2012
mejai: let's be real. Even if she wasn't d one dat hit d lastma man, life is in invovled here. A case of being at d wrong place at d wrong tym. Why goin against d traffic in d first place? Was her house on fire? Or was she informed dat d husband was sleeping wit d maid? Funny how realities set in after our wrong doing. When satan is at work u will know. I stay @ vgc, d rate most drivers make a u-turn b4 d designated junction is alarming. She has committed an offence & why would she run 2 her house(not policestation o) & d estate security even refused openin d gate. No road in lagos is traffic-free, makeup ur mind & stay in dat traffic or u buy okada, use bus. Now, 'had i known' will becloud her conscience. Pls lastma men r humans like us. 50,000 naira(at worse) is cheaper dan killin a soul & spendin more dan dat 2 get fair judgement, yet, jail waits 4 u.

God bless u. I live around this axis and the way people drive there is just plain senseless. yes LCC is dragging this project but for heavens sake. stay put you will eventually get to where you are going. LASTMA officials are parents and peoples children like us. i remember how worse traffic was b4 LCC even started dis project and the major reason was simply due to every one driving wildly to outdo the next person(car owners and danfo drivers alike). please a little patience is not too much

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Court Should Set Me Free - Kidnap Kingpin, Evans / Boy Who Failed JAMB Again Dies After Taking Rat Poison / Pastor Rapes 11-year Old ‘witch’ While Conducting Deliverance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.