Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos (21259 Views)

Police And Lastma Official Killed Tanker Driver / Deadly Punch Lands NURTW Ticketing Official In Morgue - Tribune / Gunmen Kill Ex-CBN Official In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deb(m): 10:54am On Aug 12, 2012
josh4ever:

Pls spare us this rubbish! Why would they want to arrest a woman if indeed a Danfo was the culprit? Pls note the Danfo incident took place few weeks ago and NOT yesterday as claimed so don't insult our sensibilities! If you've seen the vehicle, pls give us pics to verify ur story

YOU ARE NOT THERE AND YOU ARE SO VERY SURE SHE DID IT! WHAT KIND OF HUMAN BEING ARE YOU? THAT WILL NOT GIVE A BENEFIT OF DOUBT TO SOMEBODY THAT COULD JUST BE INNOCENT. NO ONE HERE IS HAPPY WITH HER TRAFFIC VIOLATION ACT, WE ARE JUST SAYING THAT SHE SHOULD NOT SUFFER FOR WHAT SHE DID NOT DO EXCEPT PROVEN! IT IS HER TODAY, IT COULD BE YOU TOMORROW. AND I PRAY YOU WILL ACTUALLY BE INNOCENT AND YOU GET ACCUSED WITHOUT REMEDY SO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY CAN FEEL THE IMPACT. IDIOT!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by serty1: 11:09am On Aug 12, 2012
i cant simply understand why most of us come here and form sanctimonious.........she did what is wrong driving against traffic.....loads of peeps have done it one time or the other to beat traffic and alll.....what she did is terrible because its against the law.....but do you throw away the baby and the birth water.........well for those clamouring for her execution ...a murder charge and been put up against her and am very sure ..u all will be very happy she is executed.......JUSTICE WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL.......i will sound this last note..,,,,,if she is actually guilty of the crime may GOD show her mercy......but if she is innocent and she pays with her blood for injustice ....may this issue nd sometin worse than this befall all you liars and false accusers of her YINKA JOHNSON ...AMEN..AMEN...AMEN

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by maryswags: 11:43am On Aug 12, 2012
Its bad she broke the law, and decided to run off, but I hope this has served a lesson for lastma officials. Life is more important than those 'chicken change' bribes dey collect. I'm so sure those lastma officials were hell bent on gettin dat lady cos dey culdnt afford to miss d money dey wuld collect from her, rather than d original reason dey were employed into lastma, if u live around ajah, uld know that those lastma officials around der self are over doing it, constructions goin on and ders no signal for drivers on where 2 turn n where not to, they hide in different corners, and once u turn, dey run out n start pursuin ur car. Well may his soul R.I.P, life na jeje oo, after all d struggle, u will not carry as little as a pin wen ure dead n gone
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by gidig(m): 11:48am On Aug 12, 2012
Here is her side of the report as published by punch newspapers:

Yinka Johnson, the female banker, who was arrested on Friday by the police for allegedly crushing an official of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority to death while driving against traffic, has said the alleged crime was a frame-up.

The General Manager, LASTMA, Mr. Babatunde Edu, had told SATURDAY PUNCH that Johnson crushed the LASTMA official, Ahmed Balogun, while trying to evade arrest in the Ajah area of the state.

Edu alleged that Johnson ran from the scene of the incident immediately into Ikota Estate, Ajah, where she was later arrested by policemen attached to Area J Command.

However, Johnson told SUNDAY PUNCH that she did not hit the LASTMA official, adding that it was another vehicle that ran over Balogun.

Johnson, who is an employee of Stanbic IBTC, is being detained along with her three-month old baby, Deborah.

Although she admitted to driving against traffic, she said where Balogun was crushed was a few metres away from her vehicle, adding that there were no blood stains on her car.

She said, “I was driving on Lekki-Epe Expressway trying to navigate to the other side of the road when I was accosted by a LASTMA official.

“The path I took was a one-way road but residents of Ikota Estate usually take it because of the ongoing road reconstruction on the alternative road.

“While I was discussing with the LASTMA official, a vehicle crushed another official a few metres away, causing commotion.”

Johnson said she did not run away from the crime scene as it was not far from her home but instead, alighted from her car during the pandemonium and called her husband.

According to her, after the LASTMA officials drove her car way, she went to the police station with her husband to report the incident.

She added that upon getting to the station, she saw her vehicle and learnt that the matter had been reported to the police.

She said, “When I got to the police station, the area commander immediately took over the case and took me to the office of the commissioner of police. I heard the state governor had already told him about the case

“When I narrated my ordeal to the CP, he did not believe my story. He immediately ordered that I should be taken to the SCID.”

A relative of the victim, who craved anonymity, said the police was biased with investigations. He said because the state government was aggrieved, it was trying to punish Johnson even though the real suspect was still at large.

Due to the sensitive nature of the case and the minor involved, Project Alert, a non-governmental organisation and some legal luminaries were also at the SCID on Saturday.

Maintaining her innocence, she decried the situation where her baby was being kept behind the counter with her.

“My baby has been crying because of hunger and I cannot even feed her well here. I still have my stitches from the caesarean operation,” she said.

In an appeal to the state government, Johnson urged the governor to properly investigate the matter and not just rely on what he was told by LASTMA.

She said, “I am the innocent person here, yet I am being made to pay for what I did not do.”

Edu, however, said he maintained his earlier position, adding that Johnson was the alleged killer.

A senior police officer, who craved anonymity, told our correspondent that Johnson would be charged to court on Monday for murder.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by porka: 11:55am On Aug 12, 2012
vivacious vivi:

Thank you very much jare! I personally know Yinka and while I do not condone her actions of driving through one-way traffic, mutual friends have sent pictures to me of her car which was on d point of being towed when the usual lagos touts came across the road to beg the lastma guys ( thinking that she will "settle" them for services rendered). It was at this point that a shuffle ensued and d lastma guy was accidentally knocked down on d road. A speeding danfo crushed him truly. Unfortunately (and quite understandably), her hubby isn't picking my calls. I just pray justice prevails. Yinka is a mother of 3 one of whom happens to be a 2 month old. RIP to d lastma guy, but Yinka did NOT kill him!

Anyone in her position in a corporate organization should know one or two big guys in LASTMA to call in the case of any traffic issues like this instead of trying to beat security agents in their game. Except Yinka's position in the bank is Head, Driving Dept, there's no reason she should not have stopped and reason with or threaten them. Ask one of them to come into the vehicle with you and talk.

Plus, a banker should be able to afford 20k to settle LASTMA instead of arguing with a law enforcement agent. Whether or not she killed the guy now, it's her words against theirs. They, the bank and the lady will deploy more resources to get out of this unfortunate incident now than she would have used to settle.

Matthew 5:25 "Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison." Proverbs 25:8 "do not bring hastily to court, for what will you do in the end if your neighbor puts you to shame?"

Ms Yinka Johnson, when you get out of this, remember, it's better to avoid trouble quietly and wait for an opportunity to put him in real trouble next time. The reason they won't move near some guys is because they know the consequences, which include loss of job or jail term or both.

LASTMA should train its men to protect themselves and not to use their bodies to obstruct vehicles. They should know that breaks fail, and a lot of people in Lagos are crazier than they are if they think they are crazy. In this case now, there's nothing they can do to Yinka that will wake the dead guy for instance.

Meanwhile, LASTMA officials on Akin Adesola, VI (not those at Adeola Odeku junction) arbitrarily jump in front of vehicles immediately the light turns red no matter the position of the car before the light changes, they take advantage of the bad portion that prevents vehicles from moving quickly to "arrest" and demand for outrageous sums from motorists. We heard they do it every time (routinely). An investigation should be carried out and these guys should be cautioned. Appropriate agency should also repair that bad portion to allow for free movement.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by porka: 12:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
gidig: Here is her side of the report as published by punch newspapers:

Yinka Johnson, the female banker, who was arrested on Friday by the police for allegedly crushing an official of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority to death while driving against traffic, has said the alleged crime was a frame-up.

The General Manager, LASTMA, Mr. Babatunde Edu, had told SATURDAY PUNCH that Johnson crushed the LASTMA official, Ahmed Balogun, while trying to evade arrest in the Ajah area of the state.

Edu alleged that Johnson ran from the scene of the incident immediately into Ikota Estate, Ajah, where she was later arrested by policemen attached to Area J Command.

However, Johnson told SUNDAY PUNCH that she did not hit the LASTMA official, adding that it was another vehicle that ran over Balogun.

Johnson, who is an employee of Stanbic IBTC, is being detained along with her three-month old baby, Deborah.

Although she admitted to driving against traffic, she said where Balogun was crushed was a few metres away from her vehicle, adding that there were no blood stains on her car.

She said, “I was driving on Lekki-Epe Expressway trying to navigate to the other side of the road when I was accosted by a LASTMA official.

“The path I took was a one-way road but residents of Ikota Estate usually take it because of the ongoing road reconstruction on the alternative road.

“While I was discussing with the LASTMA official, a vehicle crushed another official a few metres away, causing commotion.”

Johnson said she did not run away from the crime scene as it was not far from her home but instead, alighted from her car during the pandemonium and called her husband.

According to her, after the LASTMA officials drove her car way, she went to the police station with her husband to report the incident.

She added that upon getting to the station, she saw her vehicle and learnt that the matter had been reported to the police.

She said, “When I got to the police station, the area commander immediately took over the case and took me to the office of the commissioner of police. I heard the state governor had already told him about the case

“When I narrated my ordeal to the CP, he did not believe my story. He immediately ordered that I should be taken to the SCID.”

A relative of the victim, who craved anonymity, said the police was biased with investigations. He said because the state government was aggrieved, it was trying to punish Johnson even though the real suspect was still at large.

Due to the sensitive nature of the case and the minor involved, Project Alert, a non-governmental organisation and some legal luminaries were also at the SCID on Saturday.

Maintaining her innocence, she decried the situation where her baby was being kept behind the counter with her.

“My baby has been crying because of hunger and I cannot even feed her well here. I still have my stitches from the caesarean operation,” she said.

In an appeal to the state government, Johnson urged the governor to properly investigate the matter and not just rely on what he was told by LASTMA.

She said, “I am the innocent person here, yet I am being made to pay for what I did not do.”

Edu, however, said he maintained his earlier position, adding that Johnson was the alleged killer.

A senior police officer, who craved anonymity, told our correspondent that Johnson would be charged to court on Monday for murder.

With this type of image now going viral on the Internet, Edu may well be advised to think well before alleging.

He cannot sit down in his office and allege murder.

We know for instance that LASTMA takes photograph of vehicles about to be towed with their camera.

Has he reviewed the image(s)?

The defense should demand for the image(s).

From what we are seeing here, there's no way the car would have "crushed" Balogun, (is he the one standing beside the car?) on anyone to death.

Murder is a serious thing.

If Edu and his type are the kind of people to run Babatunde Fashola's proposed state police, then we are in real trouble.

This also heightens people's fears about the intention for the clamor for state police.

Is it going to be an instrument of roping people in murder palaver like this?

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by porka: 12:44pm On Aug 12, 2012
serty1: i cant simply understand why most of us come here and form sanctimonious.........she did what is wrong driving against traffic.....loads of peeps have done it one time or the other to beat traffic and alll.....what she did is terrible because its against the law.....but do you throw away the baby and the birth water.........well for those clamouring for her execution ...a murder charge and been put up against her and am very sure ..[b]u all will be very happy she is execute[/b]d.......JUSTICE WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL.......i will sound this last note..,,,,,if she is actually guilty of the crime may GOD show her mercy......but if she is innocent and she pays with her blood for injustice ....may this issue nd sometin worse than this befall all you liars and false accusers of her YINKA JOHNSON ...AMEN..AMEN...AMEN

Relax my brother, they don't execute people like that again.

We are not in the jungle.

Even Gu that "pleaded" guilty to murder in China last week is not going to be executed, much less Yinka who is maintaining her innocence in a democratic Nigeria of August 2012 (with all the iphones).

It's appearing that Fashola's administration is trying to prove that they are serious with that unpopular law.

Unfortunately this case is already a wrong pick for them.

We are not talking of a Colonel in the Army being "arrested" now, we are talking of an allege murder.

It is going to be counter-productive.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deb(m): 1:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
I think this is the time we bombard Governor Fashola on his facebook page. He should not just gullibly follow the report of his insane officials who are hell bent on making a scape-goat of an innocent woman.

Yes, punish her for traffic offense, but don't accuse her of murder that she did NOT commit! angry
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by emmatok(m): 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2012
gidig: Here is her side of the report as published by punch newspapers:

So the lady was not arrested, so why is the LATSMA GUY telling lies.

Yet some people are already sentencing the lady on NL.

Wonder how people are quick to believe LATSMA and Police. undecided
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by gidig(m): 3:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
There are a few things that I cant say because of the sensitivity of investigations going on but this has clearly shown that any people are falsely accused of offenses the didn't commit. The LASTMA PRO released a very sensational report that should have been investigated by the press before being pushed out. Thankfully, credible witnesses have stepped out to confirm Yinka's story and she will be exonerated but my heart goes out to the many people in this country who are/will be in the same shoes, who don't have any means or network of friends who can help them fight injustice. I am finding it very hard to explain why the LASTMA report seeks to pin the death of the officer on her even when they allegedly told the hospital that the officer was knocked down by a Danfo bus. Why is the Danfo driver being protected? From reports, it was even the people around who almost went on rampage when the officer killed by the Danfo bus was about to be conveyed in Yinka's Land Rover. Their reason was that the death of the officer will be blamed on her if the corpse is taken in her SUV. Those people are all alive and thank God they are coming out.

Sp, before you hit the keyboard on this, take so moment to think about how a traffic offense is being turned into murder case against an innocent person. its someone's life we are talking about here.One has died and the killer should by all means be found. Blaming an innocent person for his death will not bring him back.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by lastpage: 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2012
So, it appears she is a "easy target" for a murder charge, rather than a faceless danfo driver?

A lot of contradictions:

1.) She hit the LASTMA man while trying to evade arrest by driving away.
2.) She drove into her Estate and gate was locked
3.) She was eventually arrested there and taken to Panti

Question:

1.) Was her vehicle actually used to convey the dead LASTMA official to the hospital?
If true, then it conflicts with account #1 above.

2.) Did the LASTMA officials EVER tell the hospital that he was knocked down by a Danfo driver?
If true, this "first instance" account is far more believable than any "spin" put forward afterwards

3.) Looking at the picture of her with the LASTMA official beside her car (negotiating? grin ), there is no evidence of any attempt to "run away" or anything evidence that the LASTMA official was standing "in-front" of her vehicle or in a position to be knocked down by her (but very plausible another vehicle passed by and knocked him down)

4.)Eye witness account (independent ones) would be taken into account, to also know which story is corroborated

5.) LASTMA also needs to provide their own video/photo evidence of what happened.

Fianly, while l commiserate with the family of the deceased, l want to state that in "criminal charges" like these, which carry "capital punishment", the "onus of proof" is on the state prosecutor, to prove that she was the one that actually killed the LASTMA official, ......and such "proof/evidence" cant be circumstantial: IT HAS TO BE "BEYOND ANY REASONABLE DOUBT".

Wish l was her Lawyer, this one is a "no brainer"!
The best they would 'slap' her for is "Traffic violation" (driving on the wrong side of the road) and that one will cost her about #30,000 (no thanks to the new traffic laws, ...and good so too!)

LESSONS:
a) Life no-get duplicate, allover-zealous govt official should take note and use their senses. I know they wont since that is where they get most of their money/bribe from.

b.) Dont stand in front of a moving vehicle, for any reason (same as dont argue with a drunken or irate policeman brandishing a gun!). The dead stay dumb! Dont waste your life, just like that.

c.) All these "l am in a hurry attitude" of Nigerians and even more, this "l am bigger than the law", especially by "JEEP OWNERS" can have unintended consequence. (not beefing them, l own one but l dont use it to harass innocent "officials or pedestrians or Saloon car owners"wink. A little "think twice" could have saved her all these hassles but l guess she felt "bigger than her SUV" at that moment she chose to drive against traffic.

d.) Fashola must know that he is making life difficult for the people by not thinking "people first" in some of his harsh reforms. I drove on that LEKKI Express yesterday and the "alternative route" to their Toll gate, is a dirt road....and that is NOT an alternative. His action on the toll gate issue is extortionist. Period.

Lastpage!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deb(m): 10:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
Shame on all the shallow minded people easily jumping into conclusion that a probably innocent person should be charged for murder.

No wonder the country is not developed. It is full of shallow minded people who call themselves educated. No one is guilty until proven guilty, and every fact presented so far by both side clearly shows that the innocent woman was just being roped into murder case that she had no hands in. This is a great height of wickedness, and I wonder how many innocent people are currently languishing in jail right now due to the wicked and the shameless disposition of shallow people that consstitute the larger percentage of our nation.

Ever wondered why we produce presidents like OBJ, Jonathan and all the animals looting our country dry? Only in Nigeria that so many brains will cast their votes for idiiotic people. We need mental re-Orientation in our nation. It is a bigger challenge than any infrastructural need that we crave for as achievement from govt. I'm really upset now, this is a phucked up nation! The people are worst!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by gidig(m): 9:27am On Aug 13, 2012
IF THIS IS HOW THEY INTEND TO RUN THEIR STATE POLICE, I AM CONTENT WITH THE NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE AS IT IS. ONE OGA SITS DOWN IN HIS OFFICE WRITING A PRESS RELEASE THAT IS NOT INVESTIGATED AND WILLING TO SEND AN INNOCENT WOMAN TO JAIL FOR AN OFFENSE SHE DID NOT COMMIT.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by aries947: 10:47am On Aug 13, 2012
This is quite unfortunate. In whatever we do, safety shoudld be adequately considered. The lastma official is dead and dead forever. While I implore all to be law abiding, I will also like the lamtma officials to also be proffesional in their approach. A good number of them are rogues who will delibrately confuse motorists in a bid to implicate them and then extort them afterwards. Rather than work with the relevant authorities to ensure bad road portins are fixed and relevant road signs installed, they hide at a corner only to emerge in fron of any motorist trying to maneover the bad portion or ignorant of the supposed law. The LASTMA leadership should as a matter of urgency rid the organisation of the bad eggs.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by fm7070: 10:59am On Aug 13, 2012
This kind of thing will continue to occur if government and Road Traffic Management Agencies does not figure a more scientific and advanced ways of arresting traffic offender.
I can bet it that this woman will win this case if she has good lawyer. She may go to jail, but not death penalty. The LASTMA chap is gone forever.
How can you attempt to arrest someone driving by standing on the road in front of a moving car? That is stupidity of the highest order.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by serty1: 3:27pm On Aug 13, 2012
Whether you like it or not...the police just left the scene of the accident for final investigation and to the surprise eferybody on ground,who witnessed the scene one way or the oda said YINKA JOHNSON didn't murder or crush or push any lastma officer...it was a danfo....eferybody interviewed ,I mean eferybody denied d lastmas killer story..for those of you that said she did it ,she must go to jail....may yur portion be worse than what happened to her and make you not see a way out like she did now....AMIN
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by gidig(m): 7:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
Witnesses have actually started coming out to substantiate her claim that it was a Danfo that killed the LASTMA officer. Most people were scared initially that since its a Govt agency, they may get in trouble but truth always prevail at all times. The question we should be asking ourselves is why does LASTMA want to pin this death on her and not pursuing the Danfo driver who is the culprit?
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by teecuzy(m): 11:06am On Aug 14, 2012
omosexy1: Oh this is so sad. I pity her, I pity her family. She would lose everything, her job, her freedom hmmm God. Please oh, obey traffic laws. I am also sorry for the family of the deceased LASTMA official. A huge costly mistake.

Caused by Fashola's faceless laws! It takes time to adapt to new things Nigerians were born, bred and grew up in lawlessness, why make the penalty "NIGERIAN PRISON"? Its too much, what if it you...? May God help us not to fall into the hand of wicked law.....amen
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by teecuzy(m): 11:35am On Aug 14, 2012
xcuggs_m: I just drove past some LASTMA official on Western Ave, Lagos; all I did was swerve my SUV a little toward where they were standing and believe me, they all leapt out of the way - triple jump style!.

New morale for LASTMA officials: "THE FEAR OF LAGOS DRIVERS IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM"

Hehehehehe! Experience is the best teacher! A police man will never stand in harms-ways! Sharp guys
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by budwizer(m): 12:33am On Aug 15, 2012
its so sad that lastma would for some reasons best known to them try to pin the official's death on the lady. i am happy that justice has prevailed this time in nigeria. Even the lastma boss came to spread such unsubstantiated rumors, shame on the agency for that.how different are they from the nigerian police?
God save us in this country.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by EmmaTay(m): 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2012
[size=25pt]May his soul rest in peace[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Court Should Set Me Free - Kidnap Kingpin, Evans / Boy Who Failed JAMB Again Dies After Taking Rat Poison / Pastor Rapes 11-year Old ‘witch’ While Conducting Deliverance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.