Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,049 members, 7,810,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos (21257 Views)

Police And Lastma Official Killed Tanker Driver / Deadly Punch Lands NURTW Ticketing Official In Morgue - Tribune / Gunmen Kill Ex-CBN Official In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by LeJeun3: 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2012
No one goes to jail for Manslaughter, unless you so wish!
It wasn't premeditated!
Its a traffic violation yes, which a fine would take care of.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deenee: 3:44pm On Aug 11, 2012
We seem to have thrown away our sense of moral decency! There is no correlation between the law and the incident at hand! Why did she drive against traffic in the first place? Agreed there is a lot of gridlock along the Lekki Ajah axis but trust me life would be pretty much easier for a lot of the road users if people just obey the traffic rules without jumping from one lane to another or driving in the opposite direction on a one way lane!

If we read the full story she absconded and drove into an estate around Ikota and it took the intervention of the police authorities before she was caught!

If she is sure that she didn't commit the offense why did she run in the first place and somebody here is posting that she is the mother of a two month old baby! What about the official that lost his life? Is he not also father to some children and somebody's husband?

She should face the FULL wrath of the law and be laid off from her job to serve as a deterrent to others!

Integrity is doing what is right because it is right and not because it is expedient!Can she try this kind of road stunt in the West? The answer of course is NO!

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by dowjones(m): 3:53pm On Aug 11, 2012
I pray more LASTMA officials die this way. thieves ! I'm so sorry for the lady I just hope she finds a good lawyer that handles this kind if cases well.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Patsey: 4:26pm On Aug 11, 2012
Jakumo: A good lawyer will establish that the motorist ran over that individual either out of fear that the road-block had been set up by robbers, as a result of mechanical failure in the speeding vehicle's brakes and or steering, or due to instinctual evasive driving caused by the sudden appearance of an unexpected road-block erected at an unsafe location.

Future Nigerian President Fashola must, in his capacity as Lagos State governor, emulate other industrialized nations of the Western world by assigning all traffic law enforcement duties to municipal officers whose duties are limited to the issuance of traffic citations payable in the court of jurisdiction applicable to the location where the offence was alleged to have occurred.

Every legally registered vehicle that plies Nigerian roads is owned by an individual or corporation of KNOWN identity and street address. Within all cities, parking violation notice tickets can be taped to the front windows of short-term parking offenders, while the tow-truck removal of abandoned vehicles should be a matter of routine, in the interests of public safety. Nigeria is a tense enough country as it is without Lagos motorists having to also contend with the possibility being targeted for extortion and vehicle impoundment over often imaginary offences.

What should NOT occur, in any metropolis that hopes to retain civil order on the streets, is for groups of hungry-looking “officials” to loiter in ambush for motorists in the exact same way as do car-jacking bandits, poised to wrestle doors open and leap un-invited into the cars of unsuspecting road-users who then face an array of equally unpleasant options ranging from being forced to head towards “the office” for vehicle impound, to laboriously negotiating bribes demanded for leniency, to getting in fist-fights and trying to kick the uninvited hitchhikers out the car door so as to flee the scene.

Governor Fashola, PLEASE disband that gang of extortionists and road-side banditos, known in Lagos Nigeria as LASTMA, (which stands for : Lay Ambush, Stalk, Trap, Manhandle and Aggravate). Remove those disruptive LASTMA chimpanzees from the streets of Lagos, and re-engage them as municipal sewage disposal engineers for the city, since their services would be better appreciated there by all who have ever encountered them. Reckless driving pursuits are the job of the POLICE. All other traffic offenses must be handled in a way that does not violate the right of citizens to freedom of movement and due process of law for those accused of traffic offences.

One of the very FEW sensible, clearly articulated and matured views on NL which addressed an aspect of the motoring problems in Lagos! As an aside, running over the LATSMA staff "as a result of mechanical failure in the speeding vehicle's brakes and or steering" wouldn't pass any forensic examinations, though.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by mahel: 4:55pm On Aug 11, 2012
ebamma: i have now belief that saying that what a man can do a woman will do better,mrs yinka kirikiri prisons await you,the dead lastma is now controlling traffic in hell
. Its funny o but... U be mumu!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by mahel: 4:58pm On Aug 11, 2012
deenee: We seem to have thrown away our sense of moral decency! There is no correlation between the law and the incident at hand! Why did she drive against traffic in the first place? Agreed there is a lot of gridlock along the Lekki Ajah axis but trust me life would be pretty much easier for a lot of the road users if people just obey the traffic rules without jumping from one lane to another or driving in the opposite direction on a one way lane!

If we read the full story she absconded and drove into an estate around Ikota and it took the intervention of the police authorities before she was caught!

If she is sure that she didn't commit the offense why did she run in the first place and somebody here is posting that she is the mother of a two month old baby! What about the official that lost his life? Is he not also father to some children and somebody's husband?

She should face the FULL wrath of the law and be laid off from her job to serve as a deterrent to others!

Integrity is doing what is right because it is right and not because it is expedient!Can she try this kind of road stunt in the West? The answer of course is NO!

... True talk but.. U harsh sha!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by babestella: 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2012
This 3 year jail term will see more lastma officials losing their lives. It is better for governor fashola to adopt the option of fine because no one will ever want to go to jail for eating snacks while driving.

More lastma and police officers are still to lose their lives if the law is not amended to reflect reality in the society.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Myself2(m): 7:02pm On Aug 11, 2012
[size=14pt]I really feel very sorry for this poor woman,I'm sure she's not a killer by any shade of imagination,just that having heard Fashola's new draconian laws,which shows no leniency for innocent traffic errors,but rather smells more like a shameless law to either squeeze cash out of Lagos motorists or send them to jail,she obviously must have dreaded the two scenarios and tried to evade arrest,but the useless and greedy LASTMA guy would not allow her flee and take down her number,rather he foolishly stood in front of the SUV and got what he had coming.Na so greed go take kill so many more LASTMA officials,not that I like that scenario,but most of them are so corrupt and greedy and will try to exploit the draconian law to enrich their pockets with bribes from arrested motorists,this will see so many of them becoming stupidly desperate and many more will be wounded,maimed or killed.
This is the unfortunate truth.

Once again,I pity the poor woman[/size]
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Iliveon: 7:08pm On Aug 11, 2012
These LASMA officials have signed death contract. I was driving to work one saturday morning which happened to be an environment. It was actually a risk I took to beat time before 7am. Just around Ozumba road about some minutes to 7, a group of LASMA guys blocked the road with their bodies. I was on high speed so as others people rushing to beat time. I had to apply break abruptly and did a reverse like F1 style. If the guys in front of me didnt stop I wldnot have stopped. It was crazy. Imagine if all all decided not to stop or the way we stopped and manovuered caused accident. Pls avoid them as much as possible cos these have signed to die in service o.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Myself2(m): 7:12pm On Aug 11, 2012
The above said,I hearby implore the state government to have a rethink on the draconian law(the well being and safety of the general populace far outweighs whatever monetary targets they want to meet for Fashola and Tinubu),also family,friends and colleagues of the victim(that is the lady banker) should rally round her and get her a team of damngood lawyers to fight her case all the way through to the supreme court,to ensure she is not witch-hunted and punished excessively for an offence that at worst is manslaughter,non-premeditated whatsoever
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by fred04(m): 8:14pm On Aug 11, 2012
Eiya RIP mr.lastma.but this should be a lesson to his co workers.They believe that they cant b hit by a car as they think they are iroko tree on the road.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deb(m): 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
mejai: let's be real. Even if she wasn't d one dat hit d lastma man, life is in invovled here. A case of being at d wrong place at d wrong tym. Why goin against d traffic in d first place? Was her house on fire? Or was she informed dat d husband was sleeping wit d maid? Funny how realities set in after our wrong doing. When satan is at work u will know. I stay @ vgc, d rate most drivers make a u-turn b4 d designated junction is alarming. She has committed an offence & why would she run 2 her house(not policestation o) & d estate security even refused openin d gate. No road in lagos is traffic-free, makeup ur mind & stay in dat traffic or u buy okada, use bus. Now, 'had i known' will becloud her conscience. Pls lastma men r humans like us. 50,000 naira(at worse) is cheaper dan killin a soul & spendin more dan dat 2 get fair judgement, yet, jail waits 4 u.

At the bolded. Are you now saying she should be jailed for what she did not do instead of just being punished for her actual offence? shocked

Some eye-witnesses report actually stated that during her argument with lastma officials the area boys waded in and it was in the process of the late Lastma man to run from the area boys that a danfo came to knock him down. The Lady involved here already had her vehicle being towed. Don't just have that time to search the internet again, I saw the picture taken by the eye witness showing that the lady had already been arrested and the vehicle was already being towered before area boys came.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by dowjones(m): 9:20pm On Aug 11, 2012
lastma people will die one by one. everybody hates them ! touts in uniform ! I implore all murders and manslaughters on this forum to target these touts angry
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by emmatok(m): 9:28pm On Aug 11, 2012
Lagos and their LAWLESS LAWS.

If the NURTW(agbros) cannot obey that law then nobody should.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by serty1: 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2012
the mother of 3 here wont hurt a fly, have known her all my life.......but justice will prevail.........we dont need to trade blames .......she isnt guilty until proven,,,,,,,but i saw her and spoke with her.....its so pathetic with a 2 month old baby in dat horrific panti because the officers just wanted to get back cos of the death of there colleague caused by a danfo driver........it is well

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 11, 2012
Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced.
Albert Einstein
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 11, 2012
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.
Winston Churchill
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 11, 2012
The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:18pm On Aug 11, 2012
gidig: Guys! its good to get facts right. For some reason, LASTMA is using this news as PR for their new traffic law,when this is not what exactly happened.. She was arrested alright for driving in the wrong lane but it was a Danfo that knocked down and killed the LASTMA officer. Her vehicle does not even have a single dent. I have spoken to the person the person this morning. Newspaper houses like punch should be sued for carrying news report that is not verified.

Thank you very much jare! I personally know Yinka and while I do not condone her actions of driving through one-way traffic, mutual friends have sent pictures to me of her car which was on d point of being towed when the usual lagos touts came across the road to beg the lastma guys ( thinking that she will "settle" them for services rendered). It was at this point that a shuffle ensued and d lastma guy was accidentally knocked down on d road. A speeding danfo crushed him truly. Unfortunately (and quite understandably), her hubby isn't picking my calls. I just pray justice prevails. Yinka is a mother of 3 one of whom happens to be a 2 month old. RIP to d lastma guy, but Yinka did NOT kill him!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by UKBobo(m): 11:37pm On Aug 11, 2012
What should NOT occur, in any metropolis that hopes to retain civil order on the streets, is for groups of [b]hungry-[/b]looking “officials” to loiter in ambush for motorists grin grin grin grin
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 12, 2012
mko abiola: Dear All, I am sure we have all heard the story going round about the Banker who allegedly killed a lastma official by knocking him down with her car.

Eye witnesses on the scene insist that the lastma official was infact knocked down by a danfo bus he was trying to accost AFTER he arrested the Banker for a traffic offence. In fact, her car was about being towed as can be seen from the picture on the lastma website. Lastma is trying to skew the story as murder and she is currently in detention.

Please note that I have seen her car and it doesn't have a single dent on it. Kindly spread the word and encourage eye witnesses to come forward and give statements at Panti.

She is a mother of 3 (including a 2mth old baby who is with her in detention). Please note that the incident with the Banker, Yinka Johnson and the Latsma Official happened yesterday 10/08/2012 at Ikota, Lekki Express Way. Please call 08037076890 if you have information. It could be anyone

Pls spare us this rubbish! Why would they want to arrest a woman if indeed a Danfo was the culprit? Pls note the Danfo incident took place few weeks ago and NOT yesterday as claimed so don't insult our sensibilities! If you've seen the vehicle, pls give us pics to verify ur story

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by lucabrasi(m): 2:22am On Aug 12, 2012
serty1: the mother of 3 here wont hurt a fly, have known her all my life.......but justice will prevail.........we dont need to trade blames .......she isnt guilty until proven,,,,,,,but i saw her and spoke with her.....its so pathetic with a 2 month old baby in dat horrific panti because the officers just wanted to get back cos of the death of there colleague caused by a danfo driver........it is well
were you there?
besides while remonstrating for your friend a man is laying lifeless in the mortuary while your friend can still lift her arms and legs and still feed her 2 month old.
she can't hurt a fly but she has managed to send a fully grown man to heaven because she couldn't be bothered to face the consequences of her actions,does she or can she drive that way whenever she travels out of the country?
laws are made for a reason,they might not be pleasant but they are meant to be obeyed.
a friend of mine here who just pushed a traffic officer with his car by maybe 2 inches got charged for assault with a deadly weapon as well as other charges
while praying that the man's family have the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss,i am also praying that your friend will suffer the full consequences of her actions both here on earth and if she manages to press buttons she will suffer it in the thereafter.
if she is like you have described her,the best thing she can do is to own up to the truth,explain how she panicked and her conscience will be clear

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by lucabrasi(m): 2:26am On Aug 12, 2012
josh4ever:

Pls spare us this rubbish! Why would they want to arrest a woman if indeed a Danfo was the culprit? Pls note the Danfo incident took place few weeks ago and NOT yesterday as claimed so don't insult our sensibilities! If you've seen the vehicle, pls give us pics to verify ur story
thank you very much for this,her friends and family have been spreading lies and half truths all over the internet just because the lastma man is an unknown.i have taken this very personal and will even be willing to send money if the family are looking for funds for legal services.
just yesterday everyone was appealing for witnesses,all of a sudden phantom witnesses who are mostly supporting her version of events start coming up with convoluted events which doesn't even match the facts on ground
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by layifioren(m): 6:45am On Aug 12, 2012
lucabrasi:
were you there?
besides while remonstrating for your friend a man is laying lifeless in the mortuary while your friend can still lift her arms and legs and still feed her 2 month old.
she can't hurt a fly but she has managed to send a fully grown man to heaven because she couldn't be bothered to face the consequences of her actions,does she or can she drive that way whenever she travels out of the country?
laws are made for a reason,they might not be pleasant but they are meant to be obeyed.
a friend of mine here who just pushed a traffic officer with his car by maybe 2 inches got charged for assault with a deadly weapon as well as other charges
while praying that the man's family have the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss,i am also praying that your friend will suffer the full consequences of her actions both here on earth and if she manages to press buttons she will suffer it in the thereafter.
if she is like you have described her,the best thing she can do is to own up to the truth,explain how she panicked and her conscience will be clear

Were you there also? You are praying that she suffers as if you know exactly what happened. Go figure, another none objective loudmouth acting like The Don. Why don't you just shut up and let the truth come out. Sooner or later it most likely will come out and then we'll find out who did what and when. Respect the dead and stop acting like a slowpoke!

1 Like

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by layifioren(m): 6:52am On Aug 12, 2012
josh4ever:

You do realise that this is Nigeria we're talking about right? They were going to arrest her anyways. It's obvious this is not just a straight forward case
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deenee: 7:07am On Aug 12, 2012
"Yinka cannot hurt a fly" Yeah right and I am from Mars! Spare me the rhetorics! But she can drive against busy traffic in a one way lane endangering the lives of other motorists in the process!

I am highly disappointed in the comments herein! Makes me wonder how people process information. No wonder we cannot move forward as a country. Anytime, I am in the country and stuck in traffic, I always feel the urge to prove that I am a "Lagosian by doing the needful" but I am equally reminded that such acts of irresponsible display could put others and myself in harm's way!

Why would a civilized mother of three children drive against traffic in the first place?

She should face the FULL wrath of the law without compromise!

To all the Yinka Johnson apologists championing her cause, would you still sing the same song if the victim was a relative, friend, husband, wife or colleague? We don't have regard for human life at all. So because it is a LASTMA official it does not matter!

May God help us all!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by layifioren(m): 7:43am On Aug 12, 2012
deenee: "Yinka cannot hurt a fly" Yeah right! Spare me the rhetorics! But she can drive against busy traffic in a one way lane endangering the lives of other motorists in the process!

I am highly disappointed in the comments herein! Makes me wonder how people process information. No wonder we cannot move forward as a country. Anytime, I am in the country and stuck in traffic, I always feel the urge to prove that I am a "Lagosian by doing the needful" but I am equally reminded that such acts of irresponsible display could put others and myself in harm's way!

Why would a civilized mother of three children drive against traffic in the first place?

She should face the FULL wrath of the law without compromise!

To all the Yinka Johnson apologists championing her cause, would you still sing the same song if the victim was a relative, friend, husband, wife or colleague? We don't have regard for human life at all. So because it is a LASTMA official it does not matter!

May God help us all!

I totally understand where you are coming from talking about driving in the wrong lane but let me ask you, what's civilised about a law enforcement officer standing in front of a vehicle? I really yearn for the truth in this case and please there's not much civilisation in Nigeria. Wasn't it too long ago that a guy was burned alive because he supposedly stole a gold chain and no one was prosecuted even though there was atleast one video evidence? Civilised my butt!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by deenee: 8:01am On Aug 12, 2012
@ layifioren, No doubt, LASTMA officials are perhaps not the best in terms of their ability to conduct their activities in a professional and civilized manner!

More so, let me make this clear, if she had stayed in her lane and the official jumped in front of her vehicle, the story would be different! However she was driving against traffic! What if she had caused an accident resulting in the death of other motorists on the highway?

If you go through my all posts herein, you will see that I have not in anyway exonerated the LASTMA officials from any wrong doing. I just feel that it is wrong for "Yinka that cannot hurt a fly " to engage in such reckless driving without some after thought!

Yes, others might do it and get away with it but that is not a guarantee for me, you or any other person for that matter to engage in the same act! Two wrongs cannot make a right!

Let me make this clear, I don't know any of the two parties from adam but even if Yinka were my wife and the mother of my children, I would still recommend full reprimand and 100 percent punitive measure for the traffic offense!
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 12, 2012
jerseyboy: The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 12, 2012
The fact that this Banker is breaking the traffic laws shows lack of discipline and respect for the law . One of the things that set humans apart from animals is that we obey the societies laws and orders.

Just about everybody in Nigeria is criminal minded and
lacks discipline. Why do we blame politicians for corruption when the same politicians are representative of the people. A crocodile cannot give birth to a lizard.

The banker should have known that driving against traffic on a one way road is dangerous and you have to be criminally minded to attempt such. Would have been a different case if she was not aware that the road was a one way traffic type but seems most residents in that area are aware of the one way road. Her actions which seems innocent or regular has temporarily taken her freedom from her and a life lost in the process.

I pray they temper justice with mercy, she must have learnt are lessons.

omosexy1: So what is this suppose to mean? Then why did she flee the scene of incident if her vehicle was stationary and not moving? If she was driving recklessly and they were trying to catch up with her and in the process, the LASTMA officer was hit by a bus, she is then responsible for the death of the LASTMA officer. Actually, that is what driving against traffic (one way) leads to. Because you must be insane to be driving against traffic. It is a suicide mission and also endangers the lives of other drivers. While I still feel sorry for her and her family, I consider that she must be literate enough to know that she had committed an offense/crime, stay cool and get the booking. Rather than flee the crime scene. Running away from a crime scene would only get you to commit another crime. Her actions led to the death of the LASTMA officers whether is was her vehicle or some other person's vehicle.

We all need to be careful, respect traffic rules and learn from this.
Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by serty1: 10:39am On Aug 12, 2012
for all those saying dis is a cock nd bull story..tell it to the marines and all....this is the said car with no dents or blood stains...so where did the word CRUSH COME OUT FROM.........

Re: Banker Kills LASTMA Official In Lagos by serty1: 10:49am On Aug 12, 2012
cant simply understand why most of us come here and form sanctimonious.........she did what is wrong driving against traffic.....loads of peeps have done it one time or the other to beat traffic and alll.....what she did is terrible because its against the law.....but do you throw away the baby and the birth water.........well for those clamouring for her execution ...a murder charge and been put up against her and am very sure ..u all will be very happy she is executed.......JUSTICE WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL.......i will sound this last note..,,,,,if she is actually guilty of the crime may GOD show her mercy......but if she is innocent and she pays with her blood for injustice ....may this issue nd sometin worse than this befall all you liars and false accusers of her YINKA JOHNSON ...AMEN..AMEN...AMEN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Court Should Set Me Free - Kidnap Kingpin, Evans / Boy Who Failed JAMB Again Dies After Taking Rat Poison / Pastor Rapes 11-year Old ‘witch’ While Conducting Deliverance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.