Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,297 members, 7,850,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:30 PM

Calling The Humanist Bluff. - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Calling The Humanist Bluff. (16660 Views)

Humanist: Which Of These Will You Entrust Your Girl Child To? / Atheist, Agnostic And Humanist Memes Reloaded... / Great Humanist Quotes That Deserves To Be Mulled Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kay 17:

Isn't that the essence of Supernatural?! Waking magical wands!

Absolutely not. I suppose you've been projecting on the basis of your own silly conjecture.
I dont remember anyone telling you that faith is about magic wands.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
The essence of the Supernatural is doin the impossible. For example a man walking on water, thereby violating the laws of physics.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kay 17: The essence of the Supernatural is doin the impossible. For example a man walking on water, thereby violating the laws of physics.

not true. again you are projecting based on wild and frankly silly speculation.
the essence of faith in Christ is a relationship and NOT magic tricks.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kay 17: The essence of the Supernatural is doin the impossible. For example a man walking on water, thereby violating the laws of physics.

And I'll bet you think you know all the laws of physics, right? Mankind has discovered all of them, bar none, hey?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kay 17:

The drunk and murderer type of atheist?

What does it matter? Are you just fishing for something to say?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 11:34pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ihedinobi:

And I'll bet you think you know all the laws of physics, right? Mankind has discovered all of them, bar none, hey?

Of course we don't know all, but Christians especially actually BELIEvE miracles violate physcial laws rather obey obscure laws.

@Davidlyan

Maybe the essence of Christianity is the relationship with, but it portrays an omnipotent being who breaks physical laws to the point of absurdity.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 11:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ihedinobi:

What does it matter? Are you just fishing for something to say?

Most purported former atheists happen to be the head priest of the Devil's lounge or they were drunks or rapists etc.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 11:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kay 17:

Of course we don't know all, but Christians especially actually BELIEvE miracles violate physcial laws rather obey obscure laws.

@Davidlyan

Maybe the essence of Christianity is the relationship with, but it portrays an omnipotent being who breaks physical laws to the point of absurdity.

If the Being is omnipotent, breaking physical laws should be nothing to it and what's absurd is considering it absurd that it does. However, I stand on the fact that God cannot be judged by man's limitations. He knows enough about those laws, having made them Himself, to know which ones nullify which and under what conditions.

And, really, I think you're just fishing for something to say.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 11:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kay 17:

Most purported former atheists happen to be the head priest of the Devil's lounge or they were drunks or rapists etc.

So what?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 11:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kay 17:

The drunk and murderer type of atheist?
Lol, no I wasn't but then, based on my worldview at the time, there was no reason why not

Kay 17: Humanism comes with a fresh and better outlook, morality for men; unity, progress and happiness for all peoples. Humanitarian consciousness, awareness of a sort of natural justice.
Hey, have you watched the video in the Op yet?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 11:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ihedinobi:

If the Being is omnipotent, breaking physical laws should be nothing to it and what's absurd is considering it absurd that it does. However, I stand on the fact that God cannot be judged by man's limitations. He knows enough about those laws, having made them Himself, to know which ones nullify which and under what conditions.

And, really, I think you're just fishing for something to say.

Like creating the Universe from nothing??
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 11:55pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, no I wasn't but then, based on my worldview at the time, there was no reason why not

Hey, have you watched the video in the Op yet?

Nope
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 12:03am On Aug 15, 2012
Kay 17:

Like creating the Universe from nothing??

Seriously, why is this guy here?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 12:50am On Aug 15, 2012
@mr anony

Just watched the video, and I saw the parallel drawn btw Christianity and humanism, but note that John Gray is a nihilist and just stating his view.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 1:05am On Aug 15, 2012
Kay 17: @mr anony

Just watched the video, and I saw the parallel drawn btw Christianity and humanism, but note that John Gray is a nihilist and just stating his view.
Now that you have watched the video, what do you suppose to be the next logical step after one has rejected God bearing in mind that whilst the person was religious, God was the reason for being good?
If Secular humanism holds that the human is sacred, what exactly make him sacred?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 1:13am On Aug 15, 2012
Other reasons: namely being a sentient being
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 1:28am On Aug 15, 2012
Kay 17: Other reasons: namely being a sentient being
But then an atheist worldview holds that man is not much more than an animal that has only evolved better, what then is the value of sentience. Why should the life of a sentient being be valued?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 1:54am On Aug 15, 2012
Making wild generalizations will not help any discussion.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Enigma(m): 2:00am On Aug 15, 2012
Kay 17: @mr anony

Was it not your much vaunted "rationalism" that was first seen as nihilism?

And is the point not that if your position is that rationalism is all, and according to it there is no God, the logical end result is nihilism?

Is that not why even Dawkins is seen from that viewpoint as a soft atheist --- a description which I personally regard as charitable and polite. I would rather use a different term like 'intellectually unfaithful' or even intellectually dishonest. The same point is what is being said of so-called "humanism" and the injunction is to have the courage of your convictions ---- if atheism is right, there is no point to "humanism"; everything and anything goes --- murder, cannibalism wink, ra.pe, pa.edophilia etc etc

smiley
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 7:43am On Aug 15, 2012
Kay 17: Making wild generalizations will not help any discussion.
I am not making wild generalizations. Perhaps you heard the account in the video of the man in the concentration camp who stole another man's cap so that the other man ended up getting shot. . . . . .and from there the conclusion was drawn that morality is an illusion and only a tool that we employ in times of peace so that by relating with each other, we can profit.

The question is what gives sentience value? That one is a conscious being doesn't automatically give him the right to be treated fairly. especially since the atheist rejects the existence of God.

The logical step that must follow from atheism is that morality ceases to be transcendent but becomes a tool to the benefit of man i.e. morality becomes something we use to get along in other words, "be nice as long as it works for you".
This kind of morality cannot explain selfless love and altruism..... so why then should love be valued in a secular humanist society?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 7:50am On Aug 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Dude, there's no need to get defensive if you really are indifferent.
The fact that you perceive a plain statement as a threat should immediately tell you on which side of the law you are.
The fact that suddenly you would rather we talked about this from a distant standpoint even though so far you have had no trouble addressing me personally also indicates to me that you are purposely trying to blunt your mind to what you know to be true simply because admitting it is uncomfortable for you.

its both funny and almost insulting when you look down condescendingly on someone as if you know them and you know what they are thinking. thats preposterous.

i can as well reply you that:
Dude, there's no need to get that condescending as if you really know me whereas you dont know 1% about me. i might as well say that you are under a big guilt and you are trying to appease your god by doing some online evangelism for him, maybe he can cure your guilt. i know this and i am telling you categorically.

The fact that you see someone as living under guilt should immediately tell us that you are under guilt too and God knows which law you have broken that brought this guilt upon you.

The fact that suddenly you would rather we talked about this on a personal level even though so far we know next to nothing about each other also indicates to me that you are purposely trying to blunt your mind to what you know to be true simply because admitting it is uncomfortable for you. and what you know to be true is that christianity as well as other religions is a big bullcrap designed solely to control the mind of gullible ones.

Mr_Anony:

Please Cyrexx I beg you, don't get so lost in the woods that it becomes impossible to find your way back home.

Funny, someone who does not care who i am is here pleading with me as if he knows me when he fails to address why a creator will set up his creatures in a default journey to imaginary hell. And this is coming from someone whose mind had become numb to religious inhumanity so as to see nothing wrong with eternal torture, now pretending he cares. double standard clothed in religiousity. im sure secretly he is thinking that "i cant wait for this stubborn atheist to land in hell so i can rub it in his nose and tell him: I TOLD YOU SO".

thank you for you feigned concern and your appeal of imaginary heaven is nothing more that: IMAGINARY.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 15, 2012
cyrexx:

its both funny and almost insulting when you look down condescendingly on someone as if you know them and you know what they are thinking. thats preposterous.

Dude, there's no need to get that condescending as if you really know me whereas you dont know 1% about me. i might as well say that you are under a big guilt and you are trying to appease your god by doing some online evangelism for him, maybe he can cure your guilt. i know this and i am telling you categorically.

The fact that you see someone as living under guilt should immediately tell us that you are under guilt too and God knows which law you have broken that brought this guilt upon you.

The fact that suddenly you would rather we talked about this on a personal level even though so far we know next to nothing about each other also indicates to me that you are purposely trying to blunt your mind to what you know to be true simply because admitting it is uncomfortable for you. and what you know to be true is that christianity as well as other religions is a big bullcrap designed solely to control the mind of gullible ones.

Funny, someone who does not care who i am is here pleading with me as if he knows me when he fails to address why a creator will set up his creatures in a default journey to imaginary hell. And this is coming from someone whose mind had become numb to religious inhumanity so as to see nothing wrong with eternal torture, now pretending he cares. double standard clothed in religiousity. im sure secretly he is thinking that "i cant wait for this stubborn atheist to land in hell so i can rub it in his nose and tell him: I TOLD YOU SO".

thank you for you feigned concern and your appeal of imaginary heaven is nothing more that: IMAGINARY.

Man, you really have it in for Christ, don't you?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:08am On Aug 15, 2012
Ihedinobi:

do you have anything original to say or you just want to be cheer-leading your super-clone anony.

say what you want to say and stop this parrot-like cheerleading you have been doing.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 15, 2012
cyrexx:

do you have anything original to say or you just want to be cheer-leading your super-clone anony.

say what you want to say and stop this parrot-like cheerleading you have been doing.

grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 8:15am On Aug 15, 2012
Enigma:

Was it not your much vaunted "rationalism" that was first seen as nihilism?

And is the point not that if your position is that rationalism is all, and according to it there is no God, the logical end result is nihilism?

Is that not why even Dawkins is seen from that viewpoint as a soft atheist --- a description which I personally regard as charitable and polite. I would rather use a different term like 'intellectually unfaithful' or even intellectually dishonest. The same point is what is being said of so-called "humanism" and the injunction is to have the courage of your convictions ---- if atheism is right, there is no point to "humanism"; everything and anything goes --- murder, cannibalism wink, ra.pe, pa.edophilia etc etc

smiley
If people think life and existence is worthless and of no valid purpose, then the addition of one more character/person/God to it doesn't make it better. For example, God's laws will be seen by a nihilist only serve his interests and view. Nothing will change, God will be seen as just another dictorial authority.

Humanism on the other hand, already presumes a self defined purpose, self defined destiny and a societal value for morality regardless of how they see it. Whether there is God or not, doesn't change it.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:17am On Aug 15, 2012
Ihedinobi:

grin

grin grin
tongue tongue
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 8:19am On Aug 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I am not making wild generalizations. Perhaps you heard the account in the video of the man in the concentration camp who stole another man's cap so that the other man ended up getting shot. . . . . .and from there the conclusion was drawn that morality is an illusion and only a tool that we employ in times of peace so that by relating with each other, we can profit.

The question is what gives sentience value? That one is a conscious being doesn't automatically give him the right to be treated fairly. especially since the atheist rejects the existence of God.

The logical step that must follow from atheism is that morality ceases to be transcendent but becomes a tool to the benefit of man i.e. morality becomes something we use to get along in other words, "be nice as long as it works for you".
This kind of morality cannot explain selfless love and altruism..... so why then should love be valued in a secular humanist society?

First of all, you packaged the views of a nihilist as THE atheistic worldview! Failing to have regard for numerous views associated with not having Gods. The so-called atheist worldview insufficiently describes the atheist, the only consensus among atheists is the absence of Gods!!
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 8:26am On Aug 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:

The value for sentience rests on perception. Sentience exhibits certain unique attributes and identity we wish to protect.

I have addressed Morality so many times to you, that first of all, morality is basically rules and man being a rational being and by experience recognizes the necessity for foundational rules therefrom a community can exist. Altruism, bonds and Love keeps the Community and they are the most cherished values.

Even the humanist society needs them.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 8:43am On Aug 15, 2012
Kay 17:

The value for sentience rests on perception. Sentience exhibits certain unique attributes and identity we wish to protect.

I have addressed Morality so many times to you, that first of all, morality is basically rules and man being a rational being and by experience recognizes the necessity for foundational rules therefrom a community can exist. Altruism, bonds and Love keeps the Community and they are the most cherished values.

Even the humanist society needs them.
My question is; How does altruism seat with a "self-defined" purpose: Bear in mind that altruism is basically selflessness.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 8:47am On Aug 15, 2012
cyrexx:

(@Ihedinobi: bro, please permit me to use your words, they express my exact thoughts)

@cyrexx, before you say it.......yes I am cheer-leading like a parrot for my super-clone Ihedinobi.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
(@Ihedinobi: bro, please permit me to use your words, they express my exact thoughts)

@cyrexx, before you say it.......yes I am cheer-leading like a parrot for my super-clone Ihedinobi.

lolllllllll............no stress, bro.........that was a friggin perfect response, nonetheless grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:52am On Aug 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:

fine, just say so and dont pretend what you are not.

happy parroting in your online proselytizing crusade

best wishes.

cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply)

Joshua Iginla Celebrates Birthday By Donating N23m To 115 Widows / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / Anja Ringgren Lovén Rescues 3 Children Accused Of Witchcraft In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.