Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,161 members, 7,829,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Calling The Humanist Bluff. - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Calling The Humanist Bluff. (16612 Views)

Humanist: Which Of These Will You Entrust Your Girl Child To? / Atheist, Agnostic And Humanist Memes Reloaded... / Great Humanist Quotes That Deserves To Be Mulled Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

yet another excuse to justify the inactivity/non-existence of the Godman Jesus Christ.

its like you know better than him how to convince non-believers of his existence.

why not continue enjoying your religious life and let Jesus convince us that he is real. why are you working yourself to frenzy over this your Jesus who fails to demonstrate his existence.

Don't have a religious life, dude grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by jayriginal: 8:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
davidylan:

If your only reason for supporting the evolutionary theory is that it is not shy about being taken apart and examined then i put it to you that you are on very tenuous ground and that at the end of a very rigorous scrutiny, evolution ends up being the opposite side of the same coin... religion being the other side. The only difference between you and I then is that while i exercise faith in Jesus, you would prefer to exercise blind faith in a scientific theory that is no where near being proven as true.

"God did it" may not be a satisfactory answer to you but is "random chance" a more logical alternative?

My response to the two questions is very simple - the same evasive illogic that atheists desperately use to plug the gaping holes in their favorite theory.
KAG's point for example... if indeed evolution from apes to humans was not the purpose and random chance is why we are what we are then why dont we see semi-humans with only one set of lungs? why really do we need two when medicine has proven without a doubt that we are capable of adapting just as fine with only one? Why do we not have half-apes and half-humans? would they not be capable of adapting just as fine as gorillas in the wild for example?

I dont exercise blind faith. May I point out once more that I am not an "evolutionist". If I hold it more credible, its simply because its willing to undergo scrutiny and modification as things become clearer. That to me is better than a take it or leave it approach.

Why we dont see "semi humans" ?
I dunno. Search me. I'm no expert. Perhaps the "random chance" didnt pan out in the "semi human" direction

Why do we see siamese twins ?

I doubt that the theory of evolution says species have to be the best fit/design for their environment; just that they should adapt and survive (or go extinct).

Its not my field and evolution doesnt affect my stance one way or another.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
davidylan:

But why? Why this obsessive interest in having Christ convince you of His existence? Cant you just go on and live life without Him? Why are you camped here day in day out? Dont you get tired spending that much time on a pixie-in-the-sky?

i think i'm beginning to believe in miracles/God afterall. exchanging normal conversation with the great davidylan without having to exchange insults. praise God for this miracle. halleluyah.

on a more seroius note.
i've been living my life without this imaginary being of christianity, with peace and fulfilment of freedom from religious mentality. i'm not camped here any less than you are camped here too. i just have a hobby in philosophical and religious issues. those are the things that are real and affect people, not imaginary gods. i dont get tired engaging in my hobby, do you?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 8:25pm On Aug 14, 2012
rhymz: [b]Mr Anony you will do well for your own argument, if you toned down a bit on the claims of a Jesus that died for humanity [/b]to be redeemed from some "in-built sin". The question you fail to ask is if he ever existed in the first place.
The fact that there exist no one or record with the slightest physical evidence of Jesus leaves a lot of holes in the claims of his existence; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, not even self-written manuscripts.
Was he illiterate that he could not write any manuscript even though he was known for his extensive religious teachings. You should be curious why somebody with such esoteric knowledge did not write any manuscript on his teachings rather he left it to the interpretation of unknown authors and writers, does it even make any sense?
All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people, True or False? Till date there is no contemporary Roman record that shows that Pontius Pilate executed a man named Jesus.
All the documents about Jesus came much later after his alleged death from either: unknown authors, people who had never met Jesus -Paul comes to mind- or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings.
One can't even put a face to the name of Jesus without falling into the temptation of wanting to promote their own race.
And you write in boastful arrogance about a Jesus that died for everyone even before they were born? Seriously, you need to stop smoking that holy $h!t and put on your thinking cap.

My friend, It is interesting how you immediately equate the existence of Jesus to bad logic with no basis other than your bias.

I put it to you that even if there was a book written by Jesus available in your library, you will still have doubted and might even begin to ask why He didn't write the book in Yoruba instead of Hebrew.

Jesus has been made plain already. You can choose to accept Him or reject Him, it's your choice.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:
Meeen, your testimony will be quite interesting. i hope to hear the full story one day, sha.

I am always happy to share it..........I think I have told parts of the story here on this forum
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

i think i'm beginning to believe in miracles/God afterall. exchanging normal conversation with the great davidylan without having to exchange insults. praise God for this miracle. halleluyah.

on a more seroius note.
i've been living my life without this imaginary being of christianity, with peace and fulfilment of freedom from religious mentality. i'm not camped here any less than you are camped here too. i just have a hobby in philosophical and religious issues. those are the things that are real and affect people, not imaginary gods. i dont get tired engaging in my hobby, do you?

lol @ your hobby. Your hobby is to bash Christianity and talk ill of the Bible? What isn't fun about that? grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 14, 2012
jayriginal:

I dont exercise blind faith. May I point out once more that I am not an "evolutionist". If I hold it more credible, its simply because its willing to undergo scrutiny and modification as things become clearer. That to me is better than a take it or leave it approach.

lol you do exercise blind faith, you're just not honest enough to admit it.
How can you hold a theory "credible" just simply because it is "willing to undergo scrutiny and modifications" even when current evidence suggests it is just flatly wrong?

jayriginal:
Why we dont see "semi humans" ?
I dunno. Search me. I'm no expert. Perhaps the "random chance" didnt pan out in the "semi human" direction

Isnt that strange?

jayriginal:
Why do we see siamese twins ?

Siamese twins are not an evolutionary by-product but a result of a clear biological anomaly.

jayriginal:
I doubt that the theory of evolution says species have to be the best fit/design for their environment; just that they should adapt and survive (or go extinct).

If that's the case then did we really need 2 lungs to adapt to our environment?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by thehomer: 8:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
I'm baaack. grin

davidylan:

If your only reason for supporting the evolutionary theory is that it is not shy about being taken apart and examined then i put it to you that you are on very tenuous ground and that at the end of a very rigorous scrutiny, evolution ends up being the opposite side of the same coin... religion being the other side. The only difference between you and I then is that while i exercise faith in Jesus, you would prefer to exercise blind faith in a scientific theory that is no where near being proven as true.

Actually, the theory of evolution wasn't developed because of religion. It cannot be on the other side of a coin with religion any more than the theory of relativity can.

davidylan:
"God did it" may not be a satisfactory answer to you but is "random chance" a more logical alternative?

Evolution isn't "random chance".

davidylan:
My response to the two questions is very simple - the same evasive illogic that atheists desperately use to plug the gaping holes in their favorite theory.
KAG's point for example... if indeed evolution from apes to humans was not the purpose and random chance is why we are what we are then why dont we see semi-humans with only one set of lungs? why really do we need two when medicine has proven without a doubt that we are capable of adapting just as fine with only one?

1. The human ancestors have had two lungs.
2. The fact that a human under little stress can survive with one lung doesn't mean that they can function fully with only one lung. How fast and how far do you think people would run with only one lung? How about if that one lung got infected?

davidylan:
Why do we not have half-apes and half-humans?

Humans are apes. I've told you this before with articles showing this fact.

davidylan:
would they not be capable of adapting just as fine as gorillas in the wild for example?

Gorillas are fine in their niche. They don't seem to survive so well when their territories overlap with that of humans who want it.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:

My friend, It is interesting how you immediately equate the existence of Jesus to bad logic with no basis other than your bias.

I put it to you that even if there was a book written by Jesus available in your library, you will still have doubted and might even begin to ask why He didn't write the book in Yoruba instead of Hebrew.

Jesus has been made plain already. You can choose to accept Him or reject Him, it's your choice.

let's see if this makes sense to you:

My friend, It is interesting how you immediately equate the existence of Amighty Allah to bad logic with no basis other than your bias.

I put it to you that even if there was a book written by Almighty Allah in the form of holy quran available in your library, you will still have doubted and might even begin to ask why He didn't write the book in Yoruba instead of Arabic.

Almighty Allah has been made plain already through his bonafide messenger Muhammed. You can choose to accept Him or reject Him, it's your choice.

But on the judgement day you wont have any excuse. you will suffer non-stop pain in eternal hell if you refuse to believe in your Creator, Almighty Allah.

does that make any sense to you?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

on a more seroius note.

Really? and you're parked here 24/7?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:33pm On Aug 14, 2012
davidylan:

Really? and you're parked here 24/7?

no, not 24/7.

grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

My friend, It is interesting how you immediately equate the existence of Amighty Allah to bad logic with no basis other than your bias.

I put it to you that even if there was a book written by Almighty Allah in the form of holy quran available in your library, you will still have doubted and might even begin to ask why He didn't write the book in Yoruba instead of Arabic.

Almighty Allah has been made plain already through his bonafide messenger Muhammed. You can choose to accept Him or reject Him, it's your choice.

But on the judgement day you wont have any excuse. you will suffer non-stop pain in eternal hell if you refuse to believe in your Creator, Almighty Allah.

snooze. ok who cares?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 8:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

This is another line of questioning entirely but then, as you well know I am always willing to discuss with muslims on the nature of Allah
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
thehomer: I'm baaack. grin

Actually, the theory of evolution wasn't developed because of religion. It cannot be on the other side of a coin with religion any more than the theory of relativity can.

Evolution isn't "random chance".

1. The human ancestors have had two lungs.
2. The fact that a human under little stress can survive with one lung doesn't mean that they can function fully with only one lung. How fast and how far do you think people would run with only one lung? How about if that one lung got infected?

Humans are apes. I've told you this before with articles showing this fact.

Gorillas are fine in their niche. They don't seem to survive so well when their territories overlap with that of humans who want it.

Like, are you serious about that bolded statement? Because it's hilarious coming from a proponent of the theory.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
davidylan:

snooze. ok who cares?

the same way, who cares when you talk like this:

nobody cares, we just show you how empty it sounds when compared to Islamic threats too.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
@cyrexx

davidylan:

snooze. ok who cares?

Yeah, who does?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by thehomer: 8:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Like, are you serious about that bolded statement? Because it's hilarious coming from a proponent of the theory.

Yes I am. Scientific theories aren't developed because there are religious ideas which are more often wrong than not.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by jayriginal: 8:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
davidylan:

lol you do exercise blind faith, you're just not honest enough to admit it.
How can you hold a theory "credible" just simply because it is "willing to undergo scrutiny and modifications" even when current evidence suggests it is just flatly wrong?

Nope. Sorry, no blind faith. Maybe I should spell it out for you. I dont believe in evolution. Clear enough for you ?

Now when weighing creationism and evolution, evolution comes out looking smarter.
Why ?
Because its willing to keep looking until it sorts the whole business out clearly.

Isnt that strange?
Not if you call it "random chance".

Siamese twins are not an evolutionary by-product but a result of a clear biological anomaly.
Ok.

If that's the case then did we really need 2 lungs to adapt to our environment?

Thats not a question I can field authoritatively. I could answer, but I doubt it would prove satisfactory to you.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

nobody cares, we just show you how empty it sounds when compared to Islamic threats too.

Well, I, among others, don't camp out in the Islam section to prove how empty their philosophies sound grin It's hardly the norm for us, Christians
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
This is another line of questioning entirely but then, as you well know I am always willing to discuss with muslims on the nature of Allah

isnt it funny and ironic.

you demand that they should renounce their religion (in order to escape hell) while you adamantly refuse to renounce your religion.

now, according to your message, if they did exactly what you are doing here(adamantly refusing to renounce one's religion), they will go to eternal hell.

now tell me which kind of wicked god will set up his own creatures that way, when a simple miracle of his own revelation will have resolved everything.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 8:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Well, I, among others, don't camp out in the Islam section to prove how empty their philosophies sound grin It's hardly the norm for us, Christians

i dont expect you to camp there since you are ignorant about their religion, the same way they knew less about your religion.

i know little about them too. but i engaged at least one or two at one time before. we have atheists with islamic background who can handle them better.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

The fact that the highlighted even sounds like a threat to you immediately tells me that you already feel guilt. The problem with you (and that is part of the reason why you show up here on this forum) is that you think that by denying Christ, the problem of guilt will go away. It won't.

It is only a guilty man that gets defensive when a policeman says an innocent hello to him.

2 Likes

Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by cyrexx: 9:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
The fact that the highlighted even sounds like a threat to you immediately tells me that you already feel guilt. The problem with you (and that is part of the reason why you show up here on this forum) is that you think that by denying Christ, the problem of guilt will go away. It won't.

It is only a guilty man that gets defensive when a policeman says an innocent hello to him.

you now decide to go personal when you cant refute my statements.

for your info. you dont know me. i dont know you. im not under any guilt. you dont know why i show up here in this forum. i dont know why you show up here in this forum......

address the issue if you can and dont try to get personal. your strategies are well understood.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

isnt it funny and ironic.

you demand that they should renounce their religion (in order to escape hell) while you adamantly refuse to renounce your religion.

now, according to your message, if they did exactly what you are doing here(adamantly refusing to renounce one's religion), they will go to eternal hell.

now tell me which kind of wicked god will set up his own creatures that way, when a simple miracle of his own revelation will have resolved everything.
I have told you over and over again, I am not religious. One cannot come to the truth if he is threatened into it. The truth need not be shared by threats
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

i dont expect you to camp there since you are ignorant about their religion, the same way they knew less about your religion.

i know little about them too. but i engaged at least one or two at one time before. we have atheists with islamic background who can handle them better.

Now, seriously what gave you the idea that I'm ignorant about Islam? The fact that I don't argue with them, perhaps? grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

for your info. you dont know me. i dont know you. im not under any guilt. you dont know why i show up here in this forum. i dont know why you show up here in this forum......

address the issue if you can and dont try to get personal. your strategies are well understood.

Classic grin
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by MrAnony1(m): 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

Dude, there's no need to get defensive if you really are indifferent.
The fact that you perceive a plain statement as a threat should immediately tell you on which side of the law you are.
The fact that suddenly you would rather we talked about this from a distant standpoint even though so far you have had no trouble addressing me personally also indicates to me that you are purposely trying to blunt your mind to what you know to be true simply because admitting it is uncomfortable for you.

Please Cyrexx I beg you, don't get so lost in the woods that it becomes impossible to find your way back home.

2 Likes

Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 14, 2012
@cyrexx

Mr_Anony:
Dude, there's no need to get defensive if you really are indifferent.
The fact that you perceive a plain statement as a threat should immediately tell you on which side of the law you are.
The fact that suddenly you would rather we talked about this from a distant standpoint even though so far you have had no trouble addressing me personally also indicates to me that you are purposely trying to blunt your mind to what you know to be true simply because admitting it is uncomfortable for you.

Please Cyrexx I beg you, don't get so lost in the woods that it becomes impossible to find your way back home.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
cyrexx:

Mr_Anony's response is one you should read seriously. there is a reason that you all respond so defensively once the issue of Christ, guilt or sin is mentioned... a sort of defensiveness that is never there when you are responding to muslims or hindus.
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 10:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Yes I was..........and God saved me.

The drunk and murderer type of atheist?
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 11:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
davidylan:

God's purpose is not to use magical tricks to prove Himself to those who have made up their minds NEVER to believe anyway. Jesus is as real to those who seek Him with ALL SINCERITY not those who only seek Him for money, fame and recognition. I doubt you've ever read the bible before... if you had you might have realized that God Himself said in the book of James that we ask and recieve not because we do so... not out of His will but of our own selfish desires. What would be the purpose of praying to God to deal with you?

I agree with you... but isnt it strange that you park yourself DAILY and for HOURS at a stretch on threads solely discussing this same christian God you despise and claim exists only in our imagination? I cant imagine spending a fraction of an hour talking about the validity of Sango's existence.

Isn't that the essence of Supernatural?! Waking magical wands!
Re: Calling The Humanist Bluff. by Kay17: 11:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
Humanism comes with a fresh and better outlook, morality for men; unity, progress and happiness for all peoples. Humanitarian consciousness, awareness of a sort of natural justice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Pastor Michael Todd Coughs & Rubs Spit On Members Face To Prove A Point / My Best Friend Is Crazy About TB Joshua, Advise Please / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.