Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? (11942 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When You Refuse To Take Your Child Along With You...(photo) / Why Women Should Be Financially Independent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by lolaluv1(f): 2:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
@kobojunki
Lol. Well I guess the guy laughed too till he found himself cooling off his thieving arze in the army guardroom, after a sound whipping.

I might look soft, but I'm not stupid. I taught him a lesson his momma obviously didn't.
You don't take undue advantage of people trying to help you!
And of course I helped the nation in thwarting a potential 'Anini'. Na so e dey start!
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2012
With circumstances and evidences surroundin us,its evident dat if u give out of pity dis days,dis same people will turn around and hurt u.ill give a personal example dat happened to my family members.one of my grand aunt took my distant cousin and trained dis gal til she finished secondary school and passed her waec and jamb,so she was about entering university,along d line my grand auntys husband was ill and so all d family members gathered around him to giv him d moral,spiritual,domestic and financial support needed so d mother of dis my distant cousin came to d house one day and asked for her daughter and my grand aunt said she sent her on an errand to buy drugs (recomended by d doctor for my bed ridden grand aunts husband) and d next thing was dat she started shoutin in our language,my daughter is nt a house girl,i did not release her to u to be sending her on useless errands,cant mama go herself.mama felt so bad and throughout she didnt say anytin and waited for her to com,wen dis gal came mama asked her,since i brot u to dis house have i maltreated u or treated u like a house help,she said no.d woman (dat couldnt afford to take care of her child since she got pregnant for one random guy n dat one took off ) it has been mama doin d whole trainin,d woman said anyway dat one isnt her buisness dat shes takin her child.all dis while wen she was shoutin @ my grand aunt,mama has bin pinchin me nt to say anytin or giv her a response.@ dis junction i ignored mamas pinchin because i cudnt bare d insults d woman was reignin on mama,i told her dat if she wants to take her child she should go ahead and she is not takin a dime from dis house either clothes or her waec certificate or her admission leta,because wen she came into dis house d only thing she brot was d cloth she was wearin as of wen she was one yr plus.apart from dat is it too much to send d gal errand of which d chemists place where dey sent her to is not far from d house,den one of mamas kids said if she leaves dis house dey will burn all her clothes and certificates infact dat day was nt funny,mama was even begging dat we shud not do it,eventually she left d daughter,shortly afta mamas husband died,everybody was still consoling mama wen dis stupid woman came again and said she wants to ask how much aso ebi is,moreover baba isnt a kid,he died @ 98,so y r u pipu crying as if u were thinkin he will leave forever,i was about slapping dis woman wen my elder brother held my hand,den he said u dont know how to talk,infact if u want to take her,u can go ahead and take her,no one is stopping u,but if i see u around d burial ceremony,i will get u arrested,she left with her daughter and since then no one has set eyes on her till last yr wen my mother saw her in d evenin around 8pm wen she drove passed a brothel and saw dis gal standing on d street prostituting,when my mother parked and called her she ran away.with cases like dis,do u think i can eva help anyone absolutly not,except in rare occasions.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This clearly shows how our society is one that takes something that could work to our benefit and turn it on it's head. Kind of like what we did to democracy, that some now don't even think democracy works as a result. There is no shiny solution that is going to cure the Nigerian society of the many ills. What needs to happen is we all go back to tackling the problems at the root, and again, this is why I believe charity, and healthy culture of giving, starts from within the home. Add the churches.mosques, etc, to the equation.

I don't disagree with most of your assertion but I am not quite convinced parents can do most of the 'repair' as you said in one of your posts. A parent can do all they can but still end up with kids with completely different ideas for many reasons. It seems to me that the only way to achieve a mass evolution of values in a place like Nigeria is to do it by force; enforce it on one generation, the next generation would probably just follow suit.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by sylve11: 2:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
lola.luv:
I remember the time I went to buy airtime outside the hostel and saw the airtime salesboy shivering in the Northern harmattan cold.
I went back to the hostel to get my brother's expensive leather jacket that was with me and I lent it to him. I didn't know his name, we weren't friends, but I did it out of human pity for a guy out in the cold in a threadbare shirt. He was supposed to return it before closing. The guy ran off with the jacket and as it turns out, it was his last day at the place.

that's what tuface calls 'zoom zoom zoom'. I don laff I don tire. grin cool
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by kittykat1(f): 2:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
I have lent money to pll who promised to pay back in 1week and then u leave them for 5months and start asking for your money and all I got was that I shd try and be understanding. Even wen I tried to make this individuals see that I need my money, the response I got was that its not their fault that they can't pay. One even told me to stop disturbin her as she wld pay when she can. This si after 5months of owing over 200k which I gave without even thinking.

Ppl do not deserve good things. I rather go to an orphanage and donate.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by plendil: 3:02pm On Aug 13, 2012
the joy of a new system.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Afam4eva(m): 3:03pm On Aug 13, 2012
kitty kat: I have lent money to pll who promised to pay back in 1week and then u leave them for 5months and start asking for your money and all I got was that I shd try and be understanding. Even wen I tried to make this individuals see that I need my money, the response I got was that its not their fault that they can't pay. One even told me to stop disturbin her as she wld pay when she can. This si after 5months of owing over 200k which I gave without even thinking.

Ppl do not deserve good things. I rather go to an orphanage and donate.
lol

I remember i once opened a thread asking people to tell me how to ask someone who owes me money to pay me without sounding rude. Some people will borrow money promising to payback in one week but in my mind i will give them 2 weeks. After one week is gone and the second week is gone, they won't even act responsible to give you the money they owe you without you asking them. They'll think that you don't need the money because you did not ask them for it. I wonder when people will start acting responsibly. Right now, i don't borrow money to people rather i dash those that i can dash because people will everly dissapoint.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijababe:

I don't disagree with most of your assertion but I am not quite convinced parents can do most of the 'repair' as you said in one of your posts. A parent can do all they can but still end up with kids with completely different idea for many reasons. It seems to me that the only way to achieve a mass evolution of values in a place like Nigeria is to do it by force; enforce it on one generation, the next generation would probably just follow suit.

Are parents doing all they can right now? That, to me, is the question that ought to be asked. What bothers me is a lot of parents, especially in the Nigerian setting, believe they are good parents. I don't know if I agree with that.
Is doing all they can right now simply about working, sweating to make sure the kids are pushed through schools, or systems, we already know are of low standard, while we expect wonders at the end of the day? I don't agree with that.
Raising, and educating a child, should not be left to the schools we have. There are so many youths out there who do not understand what giving is about or how to give back to society and how that is a good thing to do.

You speak of mass evolution. No mass evolution of values in Nigeria can yield good results if we continue to avoid tackling our problems at the root. We have had so many projects(government run) that have tried to force people in one way or another to do the right thing. The most recent being the rebranding project, which we all know was just nonsense at the end of the day. You cannot force people who have been raised in one mindset to do things another way without much hardwork and we know most no one wants to commit to such. So we need to start at the basic level. Get Parents to re-evaluate their approach to raising their kids. Are they teaching them all the kids need to know, and understand or are they simply assuming that as long as they(the parents) grade themselves well, that all is well?
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Are parents doing all they can right now? That, to me, is the question that ought to be asked. What bothers me is a lot of parents, especially in the Nigerian setting, believe they are good parents. I don't know if I agree with that.
Is doing all they can right now simply about working, sweating to make sure the kids are pushed through schools, or systems, we already know are of low standard, while we expect wonders at the end of the day? I don't agree with that.
Raising, and educating a child, should not be left to the schools we have. There are so many youths out there who do not understand what giving is about or how to give back to society and how that is a good thing to do.

I agree with you on the bolded and this is why I think it has to be enforced on the society as a whole, after all these parents can't give what they don't have!
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by goofie: 3:17pm On Aug 13, 2012
here in naija u hv to consider well before u help o. i'v hrd of pple dt receive n use d money for evil purposes that backfire on the giver.

a lot of times d help u give comes back to hunt u.

we helped a friend of ours who hd accommodation issues and she moved in wit us. she ate free food and we even helpd get her a job. she turned around and got pregnant for my married brother.

experience hs made pple hard.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by combatmedic: 3:28pm On Aug 13, 2012
If all the above responses are true, then there must be a disconnect somewhere. I wonder how people who live in a country that is the second most religious nation on planet earth can be selfish to their own ilk. This is another reason why we cannot progress as a nation, we are a bunch of selfish hypocrites.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijababe:

I agree with you on the bolded and this is why I think it has to be enforced on the society as a whole, after all these parents can't give what they don't have!

Unfortunately so, and that is why I am for the so-called "Educated" parents we have today, to take time to EDUCATE themselves on what it is they need to know so that future generations can be better trained on the essentials that help build societies.

And Our religious leaders will spend more time training people on the essence of the many beliefs out there. If I don't know any other religion, I know that Christianity requires that every Christian have a giving spirit.It is not good enough to read the Bible and pick and choose what you want and say you are a Christian at the end of the day. Giving is an essential part of the belief and giving without expecting something in return since the Book says the reward is in Heaven.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 13, 2012
I don't see why this is even a topic. If you choose to give then go ahead and do it. Do not blame anyone that chooses not to for whatever reason. BEING STINGY as we "put" it IS NOT A CRIME.
If i have 1billion and i choose to spend it all on myself, that is my choice. If you have 20kobo and choose to give away 19kobo, that is also your choice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2012
combatmedic: If all the above responses are true, then there must be a disconnect somewhere. I wonder how people who live in a country that is the second most religious nation on planet earth can be selfish to their own ilk. This is another reason why we cannot progress as a nation, we are a bunch of selfish hypocrites.

Being selfish is not a crime. The reason we cannot progress is because people expect others to "help". Why "expect" help. Hustle and do your own damn thing. If help does come, so be it. If it doesn't, stop "expecting" other people to help you succeed in life

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by 2sexy(m): 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2012
Just like acidtalk said, I too can only speak for myself.

The truth is that givers never lack and I can testify to that. The bible also said "... Give and ye shall receive"

yes, most Nigerians have evil mind such that when you look at life, you wouldnt want to help another. A guy came into our home and my mum being a good woman, helped him. It wasnt long before he started fabricating stories. This guy is a good actor such that, he knows how sheard REAL tears and under such condition, you would believe him.

When I came back from school and I being a very observant but gentle. I hardly talk much. I called my mum and asked her why would they accept this guy into our home. I also did the same with my elder brother ... But nobody listen to me. I expected my elder bro to have done his homework even if my mum couldnt sense it, but the guy had been sold too. It almost resulted to a family problem, which I had to avoid. If my elder brother couldn't take necessary action, who am I?

It wasnt long before this guy scammed my mum of 648k... And eventually, out of too much thinking, she fell in the bathroom.

The police couldn't do anything, we couldnt reclaim a cent and we were helpless.

Anyway, few months down the road, my mum developed back pain as a result of the fall and she started living on drugs. She could neither walk or stand for too long. It went on and she developed stomach problem which resulted to her death in 2008. She died in my arms and that of my elder brother. I became an orphan and the house she was building near The Bell at Sango Otta has been abandoned.

I couldnt go back to complete my HND and started doing menial jobs, labour, sat for people during WAEC and NECO because am quite good with mathematics ,physics and chemistry. Yeah... I didnt like what I was doing but I had no choice. I also did sales job... And final one was home tutor.

I wanted go back and have my HND. My mum was no more, so UNI was not an option for me. When the time came to buy form, there was no one to turn to.

It was getting close to closing date for sales of form when I recalled a friend and former classmate during OND days. He got a job with TOTAL after our graduation and I also linked him to another guy who had gone through the interview stage so that he could get information needed to pass the interview and which he did. The guy sent me the money and the rest was history. How I went through school had been by the grace of God and 3 friends whom I helped during my OND days. There was one among these three friends one was my roomates and I used to feed him with food stuff I get from home, either cooked or raw and including money. He too is a staff of TOTAL and the one I referred the other guy to...

Till date when I go home people often wonder if I were really in school because there isnt any sign that I was going through school stress.

Today is my final project defence and I dedicate it to God,Abel, Bruno and Michael.

Givers never lack...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by AjanleKoko: 3:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
I don't agree with most of the assertions on this thread.
Nigerians are great givers. We give a lot. Half of the country is unemployed, and we still sustain them. I don't think any people give as much as Nigerians.

I have one cousin like that, who rejected a job in Jos, some years back. His reason was, he made much more than the salary from handouts he as getting, from family and friends alike. Why would he relocate to Jos to earn 30k naira, when he got more than that as gifts and handouts?

Then I have this famous memory, as a jobless fresh-from-NYSC grad. I was walking down Obafemi Awolowo Way Ikeja with a friend, we saw this beggar lady, a cripple, and we gave her 5 naira. On our way back we saw her handing over some cash to a baba alajo. Needless to say I didn't give any beggar a dime, for a while after. I mean, they can even afford to save with baba alajo, while me, the giver, no get work! cheesy
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Johndoe100(m): 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

And Our religious leaders will spend more time training people on the essence of the many beliefs out there. If I don't know any other religion, I know that Christianity requires that every Christian have a giving spirit.It is not good enough to read the Bible and pick and choose what you want and say you are a Christian at the end of the day. Giving is an essential part of the belief and giving without expecting something in return since the Book says the reward is in Heaven.

You see Kobo that is the thing. If you were here, you would realize that in today's Nigeria Christian giving means almost exclusively giving to the church. That the members are dying like flies only means that their faith is not strong enough or as they said in a church I was invited to; they did not give enough to the church.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Oleros: 4:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
TeskyMan:

[b]
In addition to what you said, I believe that 'Whatsoever a man sows, the same he shall reap". If you sow love, you'll reap love. If you sow mercy, you'll reap mercy when the need arises......
The subject matter is what baffles me with respect to the perception of people especially we Nigerians to the phrase, "BEING A GIVER". To the glory of God, I'm a regular giver, in fact people tend to name me "father Christmas", even my wife. I have a reason because I was actually brought up to help people. I've heard about stories of people being burnt when helping but I told God that in as much as I give willingly(without a futuristic expectation), then the Lord God will pay me back, which he has been doing.

Yes, people tend to make you look like a fool when we give them. What surprises me most is that when you do not give to the normal person you've been giving over the years, you might end up being hated. I now begin to wonder why you have to hate me because I don't give you now. I keep asking myself, have you forgotten that I used to give you when i had? I have now come to realise that no matter how urgent the request or complain is, my rule is "DO NOT BE QUICK TO GIVE THE MONEY" except it is associated with life and death. Even if you have the cash in your pocket, make sure you give the person the impression that you have to till the ground before the money comes up. This have been working quite well for me.

Finally, I see it as a thing of joy helping people, most especially the 'WIDOWS' and the "ORPHANS" around me. I made a covenant with God that even if I will render help to this categories of people at the detriment of my family, Oh Lord I will. Beloveth, Help has never forsaken me. The secret is, If you attend to God's need in the areas of helping the Widow's, Orphans & the (truely) less privileges, The Lord said it himself that HELPERS shall never depart from you. I believed it, I tapped into it and since, it has been working for me. I also believe it boils down to love. The Bible says LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. If we can keep the commandment, the world will be a better place to live.

I thank God for giving me the grace to be a cheerful giver.

Cheers!
[/b]
Teskyman, i really appreciate this attitude of yours.Keep it up please!!!
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by not2long(m): 4:23pm On Aug 13, 2012
because i believe some people begging are richer than me, i once saw a begger using a phone more expensive than mine and i was determined i wont give him money, i saw another eating when i cant afford.and i have vowed never to give an hausa begger without limbs money again,when they are to be immunized they said its against their doctrine,so why will i help when am somehow in need too
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:24pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ujujoan:

It's simple . . . . people have met with great ill just because they want to 'help'!

Ever heard of a woman who takes in her sister's daughter to train her in school, the young lady grows up and goes ahead to get pregnant for her husband . . .

Ever heard of a man who gave someone a lift and the 'someone' steals away his phones in the car . . . or uses him for rituals . . .

Ever heard of someone who gets her best friend a job and the friend truns around and gets her fired . . .

In Nigeria it's every man for himself. It's sad though, but it's he harsh reality!

Unfortunately it is TRUE.. we have come to the point (especially in LAGOS) where the average man on the street wants to take advantage of you (JJC, MUGU, Dull-man) for helping or assisting them. A good friend ended up being robbed by a real policeman and a street-worker (love-peddler). he gave her a lift because it was getting pretty late 8:20 PM and it was starting to drizzle at Race Course. she was heading to Stadium and when he dropped her off, she started askign for money and was screaming and raining abuses on the hapless chap. soon a Policeman arrived and arrested him for soliciting the services of a love-peddler. he ended up paying both her and the policeman to avoid disgrace as the Policeman wanted to know where he lived after they impound the car. shocked

It is hard but when I see people stranded on the road, i just hit the pedal. FAST
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Oleros: 4:32pm On Aug 13, 2012
chucky234: For its GIVE GIVE GIVE even when I don't expect anything in return I just give as it makes me happy knowing fully well that I just touched someone's life in my own little way.
That is the point, TOUCHING someone's life no matter how little.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by charlisco(m): 4:39pm On Aug 13, 2012
The issue is not just about given but given wisely, the "so called" big guys and babes we have in Nigeria are only out there to help you if only it will enlarge their coast.
As for me i would like to advice, that one should start from his or her short term goals to achieving once long term goals the big guys and babes will also tell you they started from little or were also treated that way before arriving at their SUNNY DAY.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:
You speak of mass evolution. No mass evolution of values in Nigeria can yield good results if we continue to avoid tackling our problems at the root. We have had so many projects(government run) that have tried to force people in one way or another to do the right thing. The most recent being the rebranding project, which we all know was just nonsense at the end of the day. You cannot force people who have been raised in one mindset to do things another way without much hardwork and we know most no one wants to commit to such. So we need to start at the basic level. Get Parents to re-evaluate their approach to raising their kids. Are they teaching them all the kids need to know, and understand or are they simply assuming that as long as they(the parents) grade themselves well, that all is well?

Hmmmm, I certainly do not believe it's as bad as you think at the parental level, the key problem as far as I can see is oppression. The average Nigerian, whether rich or poor is not at ease with himself unless he's oppressing someone, even some of the so called helpers do it because of the power it supposedly give them over the people they help! Almost everyone is out to pull a fast one on the next person.

Address the oppressive beast in each individual and half if not most of the problem is solved.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijababe:
Hmmmm, I certainly do not believe it's as bad as you think at the parental level, the key problem as far as I can see is oppression. The average Nigerian, whether rich or poor is not at ease with himself unless he's oppressing someone, even some of the so called helpers do it because of the power it supposedly give them over the people they help! Almost everyone is out to pull a fast one on the next person.

Address the oppressive beast in each individual and half if not most of the problem is solved.

One question: How do you get at the oppressive beast you speak of if you are not willing to get into the personal lives of individuals , and also not willing to ensure that you uproot that beast in the new generation so you will not end up needing to fight a failing war?

We know the current school system does not teach these skills . . .not even critical thinking skills. That leaves the job to the homes. If it is the case that adults coming from these homes do not even understand what it means to give, then the problem is in the home not doing an adequate job. Same with the religious houses. If a Christian who attends a church most every week of his life has no understanding of what it means to give according to scripture(assuming this christian does not even know how to read the bible on own) then there is likely a problem in the way the information is presented them in the church. Same applies to all religious houses.
Let me be clear here that it is one thing to KNOW SOMETHING, and Another thing to KNOW it but IGNORE it. What seems more the case here is that many do not KNOW.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Orikinla(m): 5:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
See the Parable of the Sower on giving and sowing rightly and not foolishly.
The Parable Of The Sower And The Seed (Matthew 13:1-23) in the Holy Bible.

See also the lessons of life on http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2UTuqI/:1AFrIE8FO:9Z6F3TJn/www.teluguone.com/comedy/content/lessons-on-life-quotes-34-8447.html/
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

One question: How do you get at the oppressive beast you speak of if you are not willing to get into the personal lives of individuals , and also not willing to ensure that you uproot that beast in the new generation so you will not end up needing to fight a failing war?

Uphold the law at all costs and that beast will die away in most people.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by blackborn7(m): 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2012
Oleros: Why is it so hard for people to stick their necks out and help a fellow Nigerian in need except if there is a direct benefit being derived from such people. When the needies are pushed to the wall, they take to social ills, and when the arm of the law catches up with them for commiting such offences, the people that could have made a difference in such lives by giving N1,000.00 or so begin to blame the needy.

well i give because i have. And i wil always give because people out der r suffering. I wil continue 2gve because i once tasted suffering. Givin is divine. It takes love n kindness of heart 2 give. If i dnt av i wont give. Majority of us in here give our girl friend whteva dey need but find it difficult 2 help odaz even wit d least in ur wallet. A giver is rare, and precious so u dnt xpect 2 c dem littered evrywer.if u knw d law of life. U wil know life is not worth living. Do ur best n leave d rest. Give cos god loves a cheerful. giver.use ur life 2 help oda.ders a rward.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by blackborn7(m): 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2012
Oleros: Why is it so hard for people to stick their necks out and help a fellow Nigerian in need except if there is a direct benefit being derived from such people. When the needies are pushed to the wall, they take to social ills, and when the arm of the law catches up with them for commiting such offences, the people that could have made a difference in such lives by giving N1,000.00 or so begin to blame the needy.

Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijababe:

Uphold the law at all costs and that beast will die away in most people.

What law? The law DOES NOT fight against this kind, unless you are pushing for dictatorial rule to come back.

The law cannot force individuals to be nice to their fellow man. The law cannot force individuals to give to the man next to them or the stranger in the next village. The law cannot force people to pay attention to the needs of those in their society. There is no such law that can do that.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What law? The law DOES NOT fight against this kind, unless you are pushing for dictatorial rule to come back.

The law cannot force individuals to be nice to their fellow man. The law cannot force individuals to give to the man next to them or the stranger in the next village. The law cannot force people to pay attention to the needs of those in their society. There is no such law that can do that.

Oh yes it can! Right now in Nigeria, having money is a one way ticket to getting away with everything and that is oppression. Everybody is therefore looking to be rich to oppress the next person! We are almost in a fiefdom where it's every man for himself; it's the same reason why the person you want to help is immediately thinking of pulling a fast one on you.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijababe:

Oh yes it can! Right now in Nigeria, having money is a one way ticket to getting away with everything and that is oppression. Everybody is therefore looking to be rich to oppress the next person! We are almost in a fiefdom where it's every man for himself; it's the same reason why the person you want to help is immediately thinking of pulling a fast one on you.

I get that but what laws do you think can solve all that? undecided

Remember this issue comes down to VALUES at the end of the day, and the law does not regulate VALUES.
Re: Why Do We Refuse To Help People Financially? by babaijesha: 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2012
[b]Ujujoan:

It's simple . . . . people have met with great ill just because they want to 'help'!

Ever heard of a woman who takes in her sister's daughter to train her in school, the young lady grows up and goes ahead to get pregnant for her husband . . .

Ever heard of a man who gave someone a lift and the 'someone' steals away his phones in the car . . . or uses him for rituals . . .

Ever heard of someone who gets her best friend a job and the friend truns around and gets her fired . . .

In Nigeria it's every man for himself. It's sad though, but it's he harsh reality![/b

Ever heard of a woman who takes in her sister's daughter to train her in school, the young lady grows up and goes ahead to get pregnant for her husband . . . The sister,s daughter dont have to stay in her house to send her to sch.

Ever heard of a man who gave someone a lift and the 'someone' steals away his phones in the car . . . or uses him for rituals . . . Why should you give someone a lift when you can part with the actual cost of transportation and let the stranger sort himself out.

Ever heard of someone who gets her best friend a job and the friend turns around and gets her fired . . . Assist pple only within the required limit.

Be gentle as the dove and wise as a serpent. Give only what you can part with. "Eneke the bird says that since hunters have learned to shoot without missing, he has learned to fly without perching."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pregnant Women / Help My Mother-inlaw Asked My Husband To Walk Out Of Our Marriage / Obams Dispatch Lagos Door Step Pickup And Delivery From 800naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.