Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? (19339 Views)

She Left Him After 2yrs Of Courtship / Reasons Why Years Of Courtship Never Lead To Marriage? / After Years of Courtship, She's Getting Married To Another Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by Smallville4live(m): 12:28pm On Oct 16, 2012
I think its a minimum of 6 months. Nothing less than that until you are ready to tie the knot.
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by timilehin007(m): 12:29pm On Oct 16, 2012
190-the-clown:
i dated my oyinbo for 3days before marrying her angry angry

You sure say your own marriage with the whitey no be on purpose..? Bad guy
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by jigawatts(m): 12:30pm On Oct 16, 2012
As for me, a month is okay, dont ask me why, Courtship doesnt really determine much because you are both forming for yourselves tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by Orikinla(m): 12:31pm On Oct 16, 2012
[size=18pt]As long as you are ready.
From one month upwards.
But the most important thing is to know the depth of the sea before you choose to dive in for a swim lest you would drown if you cannot swim very well.
Many partners hide their true colours until they are married and you would be at the receiving end.

A young woman is now trapped in a marriage after a short courtship with a man she thought was a good person until she now discovered that he is a shameless philanderer and crook. The marriage is now her misery.[/size]

1 Like

Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by charloski(m): 12:42pm On Oct 16, 2012
Orikinla: [size=18pt]As long as you are ready.
From one month upwards.
But the most important thing is to know the depth of the sea before you choose to dive in for a swim lest you would drown if you cannot swim very well.
Many partners hide their true colours until they are married and you would be at the receiving end.

A young woman is now trapped in a marriage after a short courtship with a man she thought was a good person until she now discovered that he is a shameless philanderer and crook. The marriage is now her misery.[/size]

WORD......
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by ayabunmi(f): 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2012
claremont: What's the point of plucking figures from the air?! There hasn't been any proof that the length of time courtship takes plays any role whatsoever in the longevity of the relationship.

GBAM!!!
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by MrsChima(f): 12:54pm On Oct 16, 2012
Six months of traditional courtship where people werent acting like they were married and getting to know all potential suiters on a platonic level until a winner is chosen.
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 16, 2012
As f̶̲̥̅̊☺я ♍ε̲̣̣̣, there Iڪ no time frame. When you are sure you want eachother forever Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd circumstance permits then get married. This could happen in 1 month †☺ 15 years or more.
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by Vince2(m): 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2012
I think minimum of 6 months and maximum of one year and six months is okay for them to know each other to a certain extent. cheers
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by NatureBoi1(m): 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2012
minimum of 3months and maximum of 1 year.....for serious intended couples
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by kaykay123(m): 2:00pm On Oct 16, 2012
free2ryhme:

i beg to disagree entirely with your arguement on length of courtship as key in a relationship... there is no where in the bible that is was expressly stated or implied that length of courtship is key to successful marriage but rather the fear of God shld be foremost in your relationship. Isaac, Moses, Abraham, Joshua, etc nvr courted but they had a successful marriage .. dis is not to say that there were no issues but that they manage their situations as they continue in their marriage. I know people who nvr dated but got married and they are doing fine and managing their issues as they go along ...

Seconded
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 16, 2012
free2ryhme:

i beg to disagree entirely with your arguement on length of courtship as key in a relationship... there is no where in the bible that is was expressly stated or implied that length of courtship is key to successful marriage but rather the fear of God shld be foremost in your relationship. Isaac, Moses, Abraham, Joshua, etc nvr courted but they had a successful marriage .. dis is not to say that there were no issues but that they manage their situations as they continue in their marriage. I know people who nvr dated but got married and they are doing fine and managing their issues as they go along ...

word cool
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by adenike3: 2:20pm On Oct 16, 2012
hmmmm!na wa o[size=8pt][/size]
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by baffylander(m): 2:32pm On Oct 16, 2012
In my opinion, the length of time doesnt make a difference in the quality of the marriage. I dated my wife for 5 months before i got married and i still feel like a king whenever i'm with her...(love u sweets!!!)

2 Likes

Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by promire2004(f): 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2012
The ideal length of courtship before marriage should be 1 year maximum for the following reasons:
1. A lady who is ready for marriage should be old enough to handle the challenges of marriage. She should be a helper to her hubby. She should strive to be educated. If for any reason, she couldn't make it to school, should try to learn something practical and should establish a means of livelihood no matter how little. That way, she won't depend entirely on her hubby.
2. A lady who is ready for marriage should have reached an appreciable level in her education. If she is in the university or polytechnic, she should be in her 300level or HND 1 respectively and should be more than 20 years of age.
3. She should be deep-rooted in d things of God. She should understand some basic principles about life and the need to be supportive and hardworking.

As for the male folks who are ready for marriage, the underlisted holds:
1. The guy should have completed his university education and must have started up something worthwhile to sustain him and his prospective family.
2. If he is not keen on going to school, he should acquire some sort of practical skills. He should have a business of his own that will fetch him steady source of income.
3. He should be above 25yrs of age. This matters a lot when issues like marriage is talked about. Maturity is needed on his part for him to be able to cope with the rigours of marriage.
4. He should be God-fearing and should heed to the bible's advice on husbands handling their wives gently since they are weaker vessels.

With the above points, I don't think dating is neccessary. Hence IMHO, the ideal duration of courtship before marriage should be maximum of 1 year. Dating is for kids, courtship is for adults.
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by zeal500: 3:54pm On Oct 16, 2012
2yrs maximum & 6 mnths minimum
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by john365: 4:00pm On Oct 16, 2012
Una be fool: The length or time period before marriage has been seen lately as key in any relationship with future family building plans because it helps partners to understand each other better. It has as well Been seen as necessary and unimportant by many. While some think it should always take a short period and others may think it is suppose to go on for 5 years or even more before marriage. What's your thoughts. How long do you think it should go on before marriage?

u cant xpect a young man of 20 to court a girl for 6 months and then marry here. i believe its only men and women who are ready to get married that can put time limitations to their courtship. if am dating a girl now its because i want to b with her and not because i want to get married, i am very sure am not ready for marriage now but the lady who is with me when i am ready to get married will sure be the one and i will only hope she will say yes. i av dated one one girl all my life for over 10 yrs now because we stated from junior secondary school so wen am ready she will be my wife. there is no preset time limit for courtship.
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by tinuolababy(f): 4:10pm On Oct 16, 2012
splendidb20:
2yrs shouldn't b the maximum time. in my opinion, a minimum of 5months and a maximum of when the parties are ready to get married is ok.
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by HVILLE: 4:18pm On Oct 16, 2012
i
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by HVILLE: 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2012
Hjjj
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by nanalady(f): 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2012
free2ryhme:

but the world is so evil now..courtship is extremely important
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by ghettodreamz(m): 7:08pm On Oct 16, 2012
1-n Years. Where the variable n represent any number above 1. No ideal figure is stipulated for length of courtship; However, it depends on the two parties involved.
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by divinelove(m): 8:38pm On Oct 16, 2012
2yrs min n maximum of 5yrs to decide if its going to work or nt unless u ve an agenda outside of marriage
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by temiflex01(m): 3:02am On Oct 17, 2012
safarigirl: Agreed. Generally though, you have to take into consideration that two month old courtships have lasted longer than two year courtships in marriage.

Truth is, the amount of time spent in courtship, does not translate to a successful marriage, as time goes, you will learn new things about your partner, so even marriage in it's self is like courtship, new things will emerge. The ability of one to accept the faults and misgivings from their partner and forgive them is what makes a successful marriage, not how long we've spent suffocating each other with our presence

You want to take to the altar a lady you met 2months ago, I dont think youhv related very well with 9ja girls, d only way ur marriage will last is being together always and satisfying her in all aspects, travel! her boyfriends dat serviced her 3months ago very well will take over.
der so many tins u need to correct abt ur woman b4 marriage: adjust her lifestyle to ur taste, distance her bad female friends, and u really need time to knw them, unreliable male friends, her way of socializin. other tins u need to cut to make her focus on ur relationship&relate wit only the right pple, y d tyme u r doin all dis u wld realise uhv spent close to a year already in it. u guys wld disagree&agree on some issues, if u dnt do it b4 marriage, u wl do it in marriage but u wnt achieve 100% result. u may regret it. Ladies has hidden stuffs dt take u tyme wit them to fish it out&tell them d right tin. men think deep&forsee tin more than they are, so we are meant to put them tru cos they do tins according to present situations. Dont rush to marry a girl in the name of beauty&be claimin love, but bin selfish of losing her to som1 else is ur concern.
she has met so many pple b4 meeting u&had felt what she s feeling for u also for few pple b4 u, mayb she jst lost contacts of few of them b4 meeting u. better be a wise man!!
Re: The Ideal Length Of Courtship Before Marriage? by sangsterkeh: 12:04am On Sep 21, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

DEMONIC: Airforce1 Vs Explorers — This Is What I Found [PICTURE] / See What This Girl Wore to Pizzano Lounge In Owerri That Made Phyno Crazy / Sleeping Pills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.