Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? (17278 Views)

Nairaland Spammers/scammers Report Thread / Nairaland Did Not Send You That E-Mail! / Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Seun(m): 5:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Valued Nairalanders,

Regarding the e-mail message that Nairaland did not send, people have been asking how the spammers got their email addresses.

Some people believe that the moderators supplied it, even though I've repeatedly re-assured them that we do not have any facility that exposes member emails to moderators. The only two ways a Nairalander can get your email are: (1) If you send them an email message through the forum. (2) If they send you an email message and you reply them.

Yet dozens or possibly hundreds of Nairalanders have been spammed. How did the spammers get all those e-mail addresses?

Well I've been getting bounce messages all day from people who got the spam message, so I tried searching the forum for their email addresses. I discovered that they all posted their email addresses publicly on the forum. Every single email I checked could be found on a public thread.

So all the spammers had to do was run a type of bot known as an email extractor on the forum. With the email extractor they downloaded hundreds of public pages on Nairaland, and extracted all the e-mail addresses posted publicly on those pages. Then they spammed the addresses they collected.

I don't think there's much we could have done to prevent this. If you post your email address on any public page/blog/forum on the Internet, you will be spammed.

So what can you do to protect yourself? The options are: (1) To never post your email address publicly, which is difficult if you're a public person or business person looking for customers. (2) To use an e-mail provider with very good spam management facilities - for example gmail - for email addresses you intend to post publicly on the Internet. In any case, you should cheerfully click the "mark as spam" button whenever you find a spam mail in your inbox. That's what it's meant for!

I hope you are satisfied by this explanation. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have related to this topic.

Have a great day!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Caracta(f): 5:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
I thought as much

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Afam4eva(m): 5:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
I thought as much too. There's no way they would have gotten email addresses except they hacked into Nairaland database.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
I did not get these emails ooo undecided
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Caracta(f): 6:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
jennykadry: I did not get these emails ooo undecided
i didn't get the mail(s) too
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by davades(m): 6:08pm On Aug 15, 2012

Neither moi
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 6:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
SEUN THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN SAY NOW TO PROVE UR INNOCENCE NOT WHEN THAT MOD OF URS R123 IS BLOCKING AND HIDDING ALL COMMENTS THAT ARE BEEN POSTED ON UR EARLIER THREAD ,IF U WANT US TO BELIEVE U TELL THAT MONKEY TO RELESE LL ACCOUNTS HE HAS BLOCKED .CAN U BELIEVE THAT IDIOT IS BOASTING THAT HE WILL LOCK S MUCH AS 1000 ACCOUNTS OF PEOPLE THAT QUESTION HIS AUTHORITY

7 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ebamma(m): 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
my name is spanner, no spammer can send me a spam mail
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Lucy001(f): 6:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
onatisii: SEUN THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN SAY NOW TO PROVE UR INNOCENCE NOT WHEN THAT MOD OF URS R123 IS BLOCKING AND HIDDING ALL COMMENTS THAT ARE BEEN POSTED ON UR EARLIER THREAD ,IF U WANT US TO BELIEVE U TELL THAT MONKEY TO RELESE LL ACCOUNTS HE HAS BLOCKED .CAN U BELIEVE THAT IDIOT IS BOASTING THAT HE WILL LOCK S MUCH AS 1000 ACCOUNTS OF PEOPLE THAT QUESTION HIS AUTHORITY
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Chaydee: I didn't get any message but this question need to be answered.

No time abeg! Where are the Mod?

It's time to face the gods of lightening! grin grin grin
shebi una sabi hide/close/ban abi
the mods are the theif it is simple abc and simple 123,seun has employed spammers as mods without knowing it .when seun was doing it nd was monitoring everytjing all these trash and jargons never happend
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by pdudy: 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
onatisii: SEUN THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN SAY NOW TO PROVE UR INNOCENCE NOT WHEN THAT MOD OF URS R123 IS BLOCKING AND HIDDING ALL COMMENTS THAT ARE BEEN POSTED ON UR EARLIER THREAD ,IF U WANT US TO BELIEVE U TELL THAT MONKEY TO RELESE LL ACCOUNTS HE HAS BLOCKED .CAN U BELIEVE THAT IDIOT IS BOASTING THAT HE WILL LOCK S MUCH AS 1000 ACCOUNTS OF PEOPLE THAT QUESTION HIS AUTHORITY

Seconded.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by moshoodn(m): 6:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
Spammers pls spam me at grosslypathetic@nairaland.com. . . I got plenty money.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to explain this. kudos. cool

But email address is requested to activate an account which automatically stays on an activated account.

How come the spam email came from '--' : Did these guys go further than mere extracting users emails from Nairaland ?

When will the Deactivation button be included.

MODs respect my God given civil and human rights.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Dermie: 6:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
Phew... shocked
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Yorisb: 6:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
Chaydee:

make dem finish this one abeg

Lol grin

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by pdudy: 6:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
@Seun- I as a nairaland user was very angry at the recent developments cos I was sent the mail. But in expressing my displeasure, I was banned by you and your mods (my username pDude). Is this how to run a business? Like a Nazi?

I believe r231 should be disciplined by you (if you are serious about your site) because he was very rude and abusive to me and also he was very clueless to what was happening which make him an incompetent customer service representative.

6 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by rastamouse: 6:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
Chaydee:

make dem finish this one abeg

I was moved to create that thread because I saw the advert on NL sometime back. The guy, I guess the username was Akwasi, actually gave the info free. I registered and is now making great amount. Can I then say this is a plus for Seun and his website?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by BlackBaron: 6:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
This post has now gone AWOL.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 6:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
SEUN LISTEN CAREFULLY ,WE LOVE U BECAUSE U ARE INTELLIGENT AND SO FAR NICE ALTHOUGH U TOO ARE LOOKING FOR MONEY,BUT AS MUCH AS WE LIKE U WE CANNOT STAND AND FOLD OUR ARMS WHILE OUR LIVES,DIGNITY AND RESPECT IS BEEN TRAMPLED UPON BY SOME CHEAP DUMB EMPTY SKULL CALLED MODS,THESE MODS WILL PUT YOU IN TROUBLE IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL ,EVERYONE HAS BEEN TELLING YOU THIS BUT YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO IGNORE THOSE ADVICES.I WILL EVEN SUGGEST YOU RUN A AECURITY CHECK ON THEM.AND AS PER ARROGANCE THEY HAVE NO RIVAL.NL SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOASTING OF 6MILLION MEMBER BY NOW BUT UR MODS ARE KILLING PPL MORALE.ONE PERSON THAT IS NOT HAPPY IS ENOUGH TO CONVINCE 10 PPL NOT TO REGISTER.LIKE I ALWAYS TELL MY FRIEND READ BUT DONT REGISTER N NL.GET RID OF THESE TOUT U CALL MODS

9 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by blank(f): 6:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
Moderators have access to your email especially if you use the report to moderator button.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
I did not get spammed but even this explanation is not comfortable. Yes you can blame Nairalanders for posting their email publicly. it is hard not to.
Nlers - Please post a private message to whom-ever you wish to communicate with via email or be a little clever about it [b]xyz at hotmail dot com [/b]often suffices. bots are not that clever to decipher that. The Nairaland Forum is quiet good at banning posters based on a few banned words I think it can be tasked to replacing @ sign or replacing email addresses with something else

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by andyanders: 6:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
Seun: Valued Nairalanders,

Regarding the e-mail message that Nairaland did not send, people have been asking how the spammers got their email addresses.

Some people believe that the moderators supplied it, even though I've repeatedly re-assured them that we do not have any facility that exposes member emails to moderators. The only two ways a Nairalander can get your email are: (1) If you send them an email message through the forum. (2) If they send you an email message and you reply them.

Yet dozens or possibly hundreds of Nairalanders have been spammed. How did the spammers get all those e-mail addresses?

Well I've been getting bounce messages all day from people who got the spam message, so I tried searching the forum for their email addresses. I discovered that they all posted their email addresses publicly on the forum. Every single email I checked could be found on a public thread.

So all the spammers had to do was run a type of bot known as an email extractor on the forum. With the email extractor they downloaded hundreds of public pages on Nairaland, and extracted all the e-mail addresses posted publicly on those pages. Then they spammed the addresses they collected.

I don't think there's much we could have done to prevent this. If you post your email address on any public page/blog/forum on the Internet, you will be spammed.

So what can you do to protect yourself? The options are: (1) To never post your email address publicly, which is difficult if you're a public person or business person looking for customers. (2) To use an e-mail provider with very good spam management facilities - for example gmail - for email addresses you intend to post publicly on the Internet. In any case, you should cheerfully click the "mark as spam" button whenever you find a spam mail in your inbox. That's what it's meant for!

I hope you are satisfied by this explanation. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have related to this topic.

Have a great day!

What you stated above is the truth on how nairaland member's emails got compromised. Seun, the moderator can NEVER be held liable as people can use any kind "extractor"of tools to extract members emails. What Seun did by alerting members is/was the best thing to have done to members on nairaland.
So Seun, keep up your good work with your team. Long live Seun and long live Naraland members. Woe unto those people that hack these emails from nairaland.

6 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Yorisb: 6:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
blank: Moderators have access to your email especially if you use the report to moderator button.
Really shocked
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ifysoft: 6:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
Lets take it easy on the moderators ohhh..

I Think Mr Seun is very right.. The only people spammed are those who have there email address on threads here because i didnt get the spam email.
After reading what Mr Seun said,i quickly did a search online to confirm if its possible to get emails of people from different threads running into thousands on Nairaland and i noticed it is very possible..

They collected emails on posts here with a software called.. Aee Pro, then spammed everyone with AMS Bulk sender using an SMTP server as that will enable them use any email address / identity as the sender.

So my own advice is this.. Simply dont fall for any story that is too good to be true and also NEVER YOU CLICK ON ANY MUMU LINK..

3 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Moukafoam(f): 6:29pm On Aug 15, 2012

Only those that believed that Nairaland is safe for biz got the mails smiley
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 6:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
pdudy: @Seun- I as a nairaland user was very angry at the recent developments cos I was sent the mail. But in expressing my displeasure, I was banned by you and your mods (my username pDude). Is this how to run a business? Like a Nazi?

I believe r231 should be disciplined by you (if you are serious about your site) because he was very rude and abusive to me and also he was very clueless to what was happening which make him an incompetent customer service representative.
that dumb bloody bastrd called r231 blocked my onatisi account ,i have been on this site for bloody fuckin 6yrs all for one ssce f9j student to block me .just let me get bck home sfely
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by pdudy: 6:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
onatisii: SEUN LISTEN CAREFULLY ,WE LOVE U BECAUSE U ARE INTELLIGENT AND SO FAR NICE ALTHOUGH U TOO ARE LOOKING FOR MONEY,BUT AS MUCH AS WE LIKE U WE CANNOT STAND AND FOLD OUR ARMS WHILE OUR LIVES,DIGNITY AND RESPECT IS BEEN TRAMPLED UPON BY SOME CHEAP DUMB EMPTY SKULL CALLED MODS,THESE MODS WILL PUT YOU IN TROUBLE IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL ,EVERYONE HAS BEEN TELLING YOU THIS BUT YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO IGNORE THOSE ADVICES.I WILL EVEN SUGGEST YOU RUN A AECURITY CHECK ON THEM.AND AS PER ARROGANCE THEY HAVE NO RIVAL.NL SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOASTING OF 6MILLION MEMBER BY NOW BUT UR MODS ARE KILLING PPL MORALE.ONE PERSON THAT IS NOT HAPPY IS ENOUGH TO CONVINCE 10 PPL NOT TO REGISTER.LIKE I ALWAYS TELL MY FRIEND READ BUT DONT REGISTER N NL.GET RID OF THESE TOUT U CALL MODS

Seun, hope you are listening? I have no beef with you but your mods will run down nairaland if you are not careful.

Your mods need a bit of training and finesse. I believe they can get some training from Debosky in those areas.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Sunofgod(m): 6:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
Seun: Valued Nairalanders,

Have a great day!

Nice 'theory' . . .

Here's some of mine:

1) The email addresses were supplied by either Seun or a Mod for a fee?

2) A 'mod' has figured out seuns login (probably something like seun123 or seun419) and had captured the info?

3) GEJ ordered a 'cyber' campaign to start discrediting nairaland?

4) Seun whilst 'sleepwalking' sent the message but upon awakening has forgoten what he did whilst asleep?

5) Israel/Mossad sent an 'internet worm' to nairaland in error?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
Sango fire any spammer. Lubbish!
FMJ!
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Odunnu: 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
Neither did I. Its quite explanatory though, since I've never posted my addy here on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ritualists On Prowl In Osun / Amazing Benefits Of Groundnut Water For Men And Women / XXXTENTACION – Tear Drop (his Last Song Befor He Pass Away)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.