Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night (25996 Views)

How I Lose My Phone Last Night / Apple’s New App That Makes You Switch From Android To Ios / Switch Off Your Phones Before 12:30 - 3:30am Today, Its........ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by Koikoi(m): 12:40pm On Aug 16, 2012
Babaofor: I dey craze?

YES
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by Qteyi01(m): 12:40pm On Aug 16, 2012
I slept off when am chating THANK GOD I AM ALIVE 2DAY
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by hardbody: 12:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
phraze: There are alot of facts we should neva play with. Cosmic_rays are real, people who get the most infection are those on hills, worse than radio active waves. The Earth is still taking form or should we say shape. There are Natural disasters that hit other planet that havn't dare hit Earth. When they say this Night sometin wil run over the airwaves, no matter ur position, switch yo devices off.

Guy, I hate to sound stupid, but you are right on this as it affected me. I am hardly one to get sucked in by all these stuff, but hey, i was just about knocking off yesterday night when i received the text message from my bro (he hardly ever sends text messages). Immediately i read it, and not being science (or geography) inclined in the least and not having the leisure of googling and reading up any shiit on cosmic rays, etc etc, i simply switched off all my phones and my I-pad. I reckoned i had nothing to lose playing safe anyways. I woke up this morning when those same phones rang severally on the wake - up alarm. Yes, I switched off. Maybe it was ignorance, but i lost nothing. QED.
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by LeJeun3: 12:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
hardbody:

Guy, I hate to sound stupid, but you are right on this as it affected me. I am hardly one to get sucked in by all these stuff, but hey, i was just about knocking off yesterday night when i received the text message from my bro (he hardly ever sends text messages). Immediately i read it, and not being science (or geography) inclined in the least and not having the leisure of googling and reading up any shiit on cosmic rays, etc etc, i simply switched off all my phones and my I-pad. I reckoned i had nothing to lose playing safe anyways. I woke up this morning when those same phones rang severally on the wake - up alarm. Yes, I switched off. Maybe it was ignorance, but i lost nothing. QED.

So also, if someone sends you message asking you not wear shoes to work tomorrow citing some celestial reason you'll oblige the person? Poor excuse.
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by pat077: 12:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Didn't switch off my fone. But, was surprise when i wanted 2 use d torch around 1am only to find out my fone was off. Could it be d effect of d cosmic ray?
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by luluosas(m): 12:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
Nope! I got to know about the news this morning.
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by hardbody: 12:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
LeJeun3:

So also, if someone sends you message asking you not wear shoes to work tomorrow citing some celestial reason you'll oblige the person? Poor excuse.

Please re-read with understanding and dont just post because you must utilize the internet airtime you have paid for in a cafe. If there are issues that surround an area i have little knowledge or skills on and i cannot afford the luxury of inquisitiveness, i act mug and lose nothing. It is good to know that you know it all and stand to prove that nothing wrong could happen to you. It is weaklings like me that stand to show where they buried mighty men like you, FWOOL
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by xhoji: 12:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mavrick2012: bros u no try,so u heard somtin like dat n u didnt post it on NL,u are telin us a day afta.so if it was true dats how ur ppl wil be hurt.na wa 4u ooo
no mavrick, na wa 4u. So u nid info n u didnt bother to check NL. Cos d last time i was here,i saw the post. Check yesterday's post,guess u would think twice. Keep it up close often
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by dyabman(m): 12:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
Girls, ladies, women , mothers , step mothers are so so gullible .. Oh ye people of little faith.. Cosmic ray is never in the bible and why would I believe such abnormal thing oh gosh its sickening
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by Martinsvp1(m): 12:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
I waited and waited for τ̲̅ђe cosmic ray. But could not see it..I Ҩas surprised 30mins to midnyt all my bbm fwends stop sendin me pings...2dayz own ǐz no bathin with clean wata..if YsmileyƲ Do S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴͡ YsmileyƲ wil turn into a fish..lol
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by ajf(m): 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
Switch off my phone?? Nope... I am educated not only because of finding a good job but also 'cos of situations like this...
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by ajf(m): 1:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
Solozzo: The cosmic ray hoax not withstanding, it is a good habit to switch off your phone at night, if not expecting a call. This practice prolongs life of your battery and phone and reduces pressure on the service providers. Saves you electricity bills too!
I disagree! What if somebody needs you that time and needs to call like emergencies...
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by samyng(m): 1:15pm On Aug 16, 2012
[size=13pt]Hoax Alert: Cosmic Rays from Mars Entering Earth[/size]

There have been rumors circulating that cosmic rays from Mars are entering Earth tonight so we need to switch off our phones, or put them away from us.

Tonight 12:30 am to 3:30 am cosmo rays entering earth from mars. So switch off your mobile at night. Don’t keep your cell with you & put it away while you are sleeping because they are too much dangerous rays: NASA informs BBC NEWS. Pls spread this news.

The message above is clearly nothing more than just another HOAX. I don’t know why people are circulating panic messages such as this to disturb the lives of other people. From what I have noticed, this message has been circulating since 2008 and it suddenly reappeared today, 6 April 2012. I also received text messages containing this false information and saw similar Facebook posts.

I did my own research and I have found no credible reports that confirm the claims in the warning message. There are no references to such a threat listed on credible scientific websites. I also checked the NASA and BBC news today to see if they have posted something like this. Fortunately, both have never said such a thing and will never probably produce a similar baseless statement.

Despite the claim in the message, there are several reasons to say that this information is untrue.

First, Mars could not emit harmful radiation because it is not a star. Cosmic rays are emitted by stars. i.e bodies that are undergoing nuclear reactions that is fusion (as occurs in our sun) or fission (as occurs in nuclear reactors). Mars is neither. It is a planet that just reflects sunlight. It cannot emit cosmic radiation.

Next, with regards to these rays the earth’s atmosphere is capable of taking care of them so no need to worry. The magnetosphere absorbs and protects us from the sun’s harmful radiation. Whatever remains is too feeble to affect any thing as far as earth.

The Earth’s magnetosphere prevents most of the particles from the Sun, carried in the solar wind, from hitting the Earth. Image credit: milesmathis.com

Another thing is that we are actually hit by cosmic rays every day — all day (and night too). If it was going to hurt your cell, then it would have already fried it by now.

Sometimes magnetic storms on the sun will fry the electronics of satellites in orbit, and may also blow out the power grid in high latitudes near the Earth’s magnetic poles, but other than static, I don’t see what it might do to your cell phones.

So, to anyone who will receive this kind of message, please think it over and help educate others. Spreading dubious and unsubstantiated warnings such as this is counterproductive and is unlikely to help anyone.

Learn more about cosmic rays from this [ NASA WEBSITE]

Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by ajf(m): 1:15pm On Aug 16, 2012
lumeneng22: If you died bcs of your sturboness, ignorance or carelessnes nko? Black man sef, nawa. Anyway bbc news says the cosmic rays will enta in2 planet earth on 29t frm 12 midnite to 3.30am and cud be dangerous to phones if switch on. The wise man hears and get wiser.
Not yesterday again abi?? Na your papa house e go enter!!
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by bajosky: 1:22pm On Aug 16, 2012
I tried switching off my phone but to no avail then i gave it to my security man to wake me up when its 3:30am with an alarm.little did i kñow he was using it to make midnight call wit my gf.
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by maxygirl(f): 1:23pm On Aug 16, 2012
i have gotten this particular broadcast 3 times this year and yet nothing happens. People should try and not be gullible. if there is indeed Cosmic rays coming to earth, am sure it would be all over the news- Channels, NTA, CNN, ABC etc. try and check out facts before spreading rumors.
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by olabiz2010: 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
Knock! Knock!! Knock!!! Knock!!!! SHINA: who is dat? COSMIC-RAY: Na me Bros (cosmic ray). SHINA: watin u dey find for my house? COsMIC-RAY: abeg Bros make I pass night 4 ur side, dem no allow me enter our family house; dey think say I don die. SHINA: ok u no die, where u come go 4 all dis year. COSMIC-RAY: I just travel go mars, I go find d way of living noni. SHINA: where ur family house dey? COSMIC-RAY: hahha Bros u no know our family house sebi Na our family dey do majority of d home movie na. SHINA: Movie 4 where? COSMIC-RAY: don't u know my family (LASUN-RAY,MUKA-RAY,MUPHY-RAY & MAMA-RAY)? SHINA: ok ok!! Come sit down 4 here make I arrange bed 4 u. SHINA: Wetin con purse u commot for mars. COSMIC-RAY: Bros Na boko-haram wey come pursue us 4 mars Na. SHINA:Chai! dem don reach dere too? Na wa 4 dis boko-haram oooo. Watin now concern BBC say u dey com to 9ja back. COSMIC-RAY: no mind dem broda jawe Na MTN go bribe dem, dem no wan make people dey do extra-cool again ni ooº°˚˚˚°ºooº°˚˚˚°
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by shadrach77: 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
i didn't turn off my samsung glalaxy S3 and my blackberry bold 9900 phones grin grin cheesy
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by bush4ker(m): 3:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
wow i'm in pluto nw and i'm browsing free of charge.let me c how mt hen go block am from earth
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by Smartjeezy(m): 4:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
This is another one on my phone right now sent by one id-iot.
Don't have sex from on the 16th of august to 22nd of august,the kingdom of darknes want to pass the mark of the beast 666 through sex.plz read and pass to ur love ones.I hate all this.i will soon go back to my country(spain).

Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by whyx06(m): 4:38pm On Aug 16, 2012
Damseluc: This MTN free sms is causing alot of commotion.
Don't use Dary pad,
Don't wear red,
Don't take orange,
Let's see if all this would continue after 20th of August.
@posta.. u neva mentn it all,' wot of send dis text to 7pple nd rcve abundanceee, ignore nd u'll b on ur own.
ℓ☺ℓ
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by whyx06(m): 4:41pm On Aug 16, 2012
Smart jeezy: This is another one on my phone right now sent by one id-iot.
Don't have sex from on the 16th of august to 22nd of august,the kingdom of darknes want to pass the mark of the beast 666 through sex.plz read and pass to ur love ones.I hate all this.i will soon go back to my country(spain).
same hear too....
mtn fr33 text dey cos dis jobless act..
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by phemweb: 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
ebamma: i switched off my phone yesterday due to my girlfriend's cosmetic ray not cosmic ray

Not only cosmetic ray, Lasun Ray, Muka Ray, Eyiwumi Ray, Iya Ray and Baba Ray...... LWTMB
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by ndukwejoe(m): 6:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
Hahahahhahahaha
Tzjz: I first received that message like two years ago. And I ve received it like twice since mtn started this free SMS ish. I'm surprised some persons r just receiving it for d first time. I ve even started composing d one I'll formulate. If u receive any about aliens know I started it.
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by olaolaking: 6:17pm On Aug 16, 2012
Few days ago, it was dot pick a phone call from sososo number, later they said don't ware red cloth which I did on purpose. Now it is switch off your phone.

THIS IS ANOTHER ONE THAT MY IFA TOLD ME THIS MORNING. DONT WATCH TELEVISION TOMORROW because your left eye will go to the right eye
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by eden5: 6:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
Pls everybody let's stop sending news that will cause panic in the society like BOKOHARAM poison some fruits,switch off ur because of cosmib.....ENOUGH!
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by fankasibe: 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
My grand-mother was begging me to switch off my phone saying she doesn't want to loss me......i was the first person to wake her in bed.
God punish devil.
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by avalontony(m): 7:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
o boy!!!!! i browse die last nit, see as downloading d fast!!!! i benefit from dis cosmic ray thing sha!!!! maybe d next one go be boko haram ray!!
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by Wemmy6284(m): 8:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
Small time now we go hear say Acid rain wan pour..when the cloud looks somehow everybody is in...mtchew
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by chii8(f): 10:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
nwanna89: So because somebody wanted a decongested network to allow he/she make free midnight calls easily....
had dat in mind,mtcheeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by dokunbam(m): 10:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
sorry i forgot, i have more important things on my mind
Re: Cosmic Ray: Did You Switch-Off Your Phone Last Night by meerkat(m): 10:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
Frankly guys I do not pay heed to such news but had to switch off my phone and put it under the bed cos my wife instructed so grin and I was tired and didn't have the strength to argue just needed to go to bed. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Indian Man Scams Phone Buyer In Lagos / WhatsApp Temporarily Down / Huawei CEO Reveals Android Alternative, Claiming It’s 60 Per Cent Faster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.