Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,909 members, 7,956,417 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:37 AM

Ribadu Fired! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Fired! (16453 Views)

Top Civil Servants May Be Fired For Sabotaging President Buhari’s Budget / EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust / Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Fired! by blueband(m): 1:34am On Dec 28, 2007
President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua this afternoon approved the removal of the Chairman of the anti graft agency, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Malam Nuhu Ribadu when he consented to a the Inspector General of police plan to send all Assistant Inspector General of Police on a compulsory one year study at the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), in Kuru near Jos.

Malam Nuhu Ribadu is an Assistant Inspector General of Police and was seconded to head EFCC from the Police force by former President Olusegun Obasanjo when the agency was created.

A national daily, The Tribune has reported yesterday that, “IG orders Ribadu to proceed on 1-yr course.”

According to the newspaper, “While away in Jos, where he is expected to be fully engrossed in the course on a full-time basis while an acting chairman would be appointed from the police, with a commissioner of police from the SouthWest, already penciled in.

“Sources further revealed that the leadership of the police moved to give vent to the plot when the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, wrote to Ribadu, seeking a meeting with him on the planned course.”

Source close to The Times of Nigeria said Ribadu was incensed at what he called “ploys to remove him from office through the back door.”

“This plan is not new, we have been aware of for quite sometime now. What is new is that the President has approved it if indeed he has approved it.” A source close to Ribadu told The Times of Nigeria today.

During the meeting between the IG, Mike Okiro and Ribadu, tempers was said to have flared when the IG officially presented the offer to proceed on course to Ribadu. Ribadu allegedly stormed out of the meeting after telling Okiro he had no power to redeploy him.

“Only the President can redeploy. You can’t do that.” Ribadu was said to have told Okiro.

Okiro was said to have taken his case to President Yar’Adua who sided with him and told him to proceed with his plan. Armed with the President’s backing, Okiro today issued an official memo to that effect.

The Times of Nigeria learnt that President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua gave the IG’s plan to redeploy Ribadu and all those of the same rank his final seal of approval this afternoon and the IG, Mike Okiro immediately released a statement to that effect to all affected officers including the EFCC chairman.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by McKren(m): 1:50am On Dec 28, 2007
Congrats!!!!!!!!! Mike Okiro for Finishing up Mike Aondoakaa's dirty Job.

Now maybe the meeting between Ibori and 3 DIGs sometime last year in America makes more sense.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Bhola(f): 1:57am On Dec 28, 2007
I was just reading the newpapers online. Now, this has confirmed what I have always said. Nigeria will never get better. It's not a curse, just fact. If we keep doing this, how in hell will it get better? Instead of calling a spade a spade, we keep deceiving ourselves. Why couldn't he just be fired straight up, instead of playing with our intelligence?
Re: Ribadu Fired! by McKren(m): 2:03am On Dec 28, 2007
Bhola:

I was just reading the newpapers online. Now, this has confirmed what I have always said. Nigeria will never get better. It's not a curse, just fact. If we keep doing this, how in hell will it get better? Instead of calling a spade a spade, we keep deceiving ourselves. Why couldn't he just be fired straight up, instead of playing with our intelligence?

Exactly!!!! The President should have been man enough to fire Ribadu.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Bhola(f): 2:14am On Dec 28, 2007
I know. Not like Ribadu is the only one that can head the agency, but the lies. Mehn, I hate lies with everything in me. It never leads to anything good. They have just taken another million steps backward in that country.

No hope for Nigeria, even hope unborn is dead.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by naijaking1: 2:21am On Dec 28, 2007
2 steps forward, 4 steps backward in the fight against corruption.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 2:24am On Dec 28, 2007
McKren:

This was written many months ago, I knew the guy was gone since summer time and I think I made it clear to you  
Ribadu, a fine Nigerian who doesn't understand many things; he is way too emotional and doesn't obey the rule of law. This man reminds me of those lunatic professors that intentionally make life difficult for students, for no sensible reason. They become very depress when majority of the students take their exam and score A+.
They are absolutely worthless, but on their minds they represent God's gift to the world

These type of people think there is no law higher than the one they've created on their mind; and mostly all their moves are illegal.

The war against corruption in Nigeria is still not totally successful not because of anything, but because of Ribadu and his selectivity style of operation.
If this man was so sincere and dedicated to Nigeria, he should have stepped down immediately he realized that OBJ was using him to fight away his enemies.
If he had made this move like a man, many would have supported him like there was no tomorrow.

The best way to fight this war effectively, efficiently and fairly is to fire this man. Bravo to this move and I think the Federal government is now showing us that they are serious with this war.

Chill out folks, I think the can of the real black jumbo worms will be opened very soon and we will all have the opportunity to select sides.
I smell odorous fish, just wait and see.

Keep in mind that there is no clean fish when the river is dirty and smelly
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Nobody: 2:28am On Dec 28, 2007
Just like Geovani Falcone, Nuhu Ribadu looses his job for standing for truth.

The man should be careful make them no assasinate him.

Watch excellent Cadavers on youtube.com, you go see say Nuhu Ribadu dey suffer the faith of Geovani Falcone.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Bhola(f): 2:29am On Dec 28, 2007
Big B you don't get it. It's not the firing/removing of the guy, it's the lie in getting him removed from office. Nothing good can come out of deceiving people. Why couldn't they just fire him? That is what I want to know, if anyone has an answer to that. I do not know enough about the constitution, maybe there is a reason why he can't be fired.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 2:29am On Dec 28, 2007
No need to panic, the game must go on and I think Nigerians are ready as ever.
I predict that his replacement will be 10 times better.

McKren should apply for the position!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 2:37am On Dec 28, 2007
Big B you don't get it. It's not the firing/removing of the guy, it's the lie in getting him removed from office. Nothing good can come out of deceiving people. Why couldn't they just fire him? That is what I want to know, if anyone has an answer to that. I do not know enough about the constitution, maybe there is a reason why he can't be fired.

They've tried everything to get rid of this defective OBJ's police dog without hurting his feelings; I guess they finally did it.

But trust me, the man was gone many months ago and he knew it too. This was one of the main reasons why he was very quiet, he did not show up at various federal government occasions and ICPC has gotten more attention much more than before; also one of the reasons why MAMAJAMA's hero[b] (EHINDERO) [/b]is currently being detained and probed by ICPC not EFCC.
In fact, they were going to merge both organization (EFCC and ICPC), but changed this move at the last minute.

No panic, I'm sure that a new guy will be discovered. At least the corrupt officials will not have the opportunity to use OBJ or selectivity as an excuse
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Bhola(f): 2:44am On Dec 28, 2007
What ever excuse they can come up with, will definitely not gell with me. If firing a man like Ribadu is too difficult and they have to look for "corner-corner" way to remove him, then it does not look good. There is no fight on corruption in that country. This just proved it. A better man you say? So, if another man comes on, he will also be a puppet that someone is pulling his strings. Ribadu was Obj according to you, the next guy will be pulled/controlled by who? IBB? Shonekan?

Wow, what a fight on corruption!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by McKren(m): 2:45am On Dec 28, 2007
BigB1

Lets not go into a debate you can not win!!!!!

You can not talk about selectivity without establishing a trend or criteria for selection.

There are 9 oranges made of 3 blue, 3 red, 3 green. An individual picks 2 blue, 1 red, 1 green. You can't accuse them of selectivity because to the best of his ability all colours were represented.

Under Ribadu, EFCC charged:
Christains as well as Muslims to court
Northerners as well as Southerners
More PDP men than people in opposition parties

So what was the basis for EFCC being selective. All this talks about friend or no friend is senseless. It is not part of Ribadu's job description to keep an inventory of who OBJ consider's friendly or not.
We have a situation where when you ask people to acccount for their stewardship they tell you the picked up a quarell with OBJ last night hence why EFCC is probing them today.
It does not even occur to them that the frontline headache and opposition to OBJ govt are yet to be guest to EFCC. This include Buhari (Yes he was technically the number 1 Opposition leader), Ken Nnamani stood against everything OBJ, Sunday Awoniyi same. But they had no business with EFCC because they were clean.

Was Fayose, Tafa Balogun, Wagbara not OBJ boys before their ordeals.

Ribadu was not going to be boss of EFCC forever, but he had a tenure to serve which the Presidency had a choice to respect or sack him. Since the Presidency thought there was need to see Ribadu go before the end of his time, they should have been bold enough to sack him. All this school boy deceit is worthless and shameful especially when coming from our so called servant leader.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 2:53am On Dec 28, 2007
So what was the basis for EFCC being selective. All this talks about friend or no friend is senseless. It is not part of Ribadu's job description to keep an inventory of who OBJ consider's friendly or not.
We have a situation where when you ask people to acccount for their stewardship they tell you the picked up a quarell with OBJ last night hence why EFCC is probing them today.
It does not even occur to them that the frontline headache and opposition to OBJ govt are yet to be guest to EFCC. This include Buhari (Yes he was technically the number 1 Opposition leader), Ken Nnamani stood against everything OBJ, Sunday Awoniyi same. But they had no business with EFCC because they were clean.

McKren:
I do not need to tell you that I love very much anymore, I think at this point you know it; but my man, you've got to trust me on this one, you do not know the root of Ribadu, OBJ and selectivity.
No need to go too deep, just take it as it is, trust me!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by McKren(m): 3:01am On Dec 28, 2007
Yar'adua approves Nuhu Ribadu's replacement as EFCC Chair

Last View on Thu 27th December, 2007
Last Modified on Thu 27th December, 2007 12:19:15 pm
Author: Posted by Admin Sahara
Umar Musa Yar'adua finally yielded to pressures from James Ibori on the removal of Nuhu Ribadu, Saharareporters learnt late last night (December 26 2007), that Yar'adua already approved a memo submitted by the Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro to send Nuhu Ribadu on a one-year compulsory study leave to the Nigerian Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru -Jos. The IG of Police Mike Okiro made the announcement today in Abuja

According to sources in the Aso Rock Villa, Yar'adua yielded to James Ibori's pressure because James Ibori was set to release what his aides called an "Atomic Bomb" of information on the financing and rigging of the April 2007 election that brought Yar'adua to power.

Supporters of Nuhu Ribadu are still putting pressure on Yar'adua to rescind the decision as at the time of going to press. N[b]uhu Ribadu was summoned to the Aso Rock villa for an all night meeting said to be an attempt to extract some concession from him should Yar'adua rescind the approval but he did not attend[/b]. A source told Saharareporters that hawks within Aso Rock wants Nuhu Ribadu to publicly repudiate his association with Muhammed Buhari, who Ribadu is accused of working with to discredit the Yar'adua regime.

It is not clear if Yar'adua's office in Abuja will be issuing any statements on Nuhu Ribadu's status. Saharareporters learns that a last minute intervention by the US government calling on Yar'adua government to defer Nuhu Ribadu's training for one year may have delayed a statement planned for today.

At this point I think President Yaradua should scrap all anti-corruption agencies. War against corruption is not compulsory.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 3:04am On Dec 28, 2007
The firing of this man is very sad, but it's not a bad thing to do.

In few years, we will be very thankful for this bright decision. Ribadu is just another Nigerian, he doesn't have 2 heads or 4 legs; there is absolutely nothing extra ordinary about the man, if you truly understand the true definition of mission accomplished.

This man rushed into every single operation, he craved short cuts, he doesn't clearly understand the constitution of Nigeria, he had very limited respect for human rights, he was too emotional and knew nothing about strategic politics or thinking.
He has never for once completed any operation successfully.

So, why all this noise? Anybody could have done the same or better with the authority given to Ribadu by OBJ.

Did you guys notice that the man (Ribadu) found it extremely difficult to function since OBJ left the office?
This was because all those illegal authority went out the window along with OBJ!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by blueband(m): 3:04am On Dec 28, 2007
I read somewhere that Ribadu was covertly fighting a war that will see the removal of YAradua.Remember Ribadu is married to Buhari's niece and he has never hidden his support for Buhari.By going after Ibori when Yaradua was in U.S.A he was hoping this will make Ibori release all the information about the election rigging to the tribunal.

But then,these are all rumours and I don't really believe them.Ribadu has fought a good fight and he should be aplauded.But in the same vein,he has also shown he cannot be trusted entirely,for reasons we all know,eg:

1.What is happening to the likes of Odili,Bode George,Tinubu,Akume,Abdullahi Adamu?

2.When Turaki said he gave 10 billion to Andy Uba,it was Ribadu who stood up to say Turaki was lying.Common sense would have suggested that Uba ought to be arrested and questioned at least!

3.When the Iyabogate(Mrs.Akinlawon) first  blew open in August of this year,Ribadu said it was a civil affair,
4.Turning a blind eye to the Obasanjo dynasty.

But me thinks,that Ribadu will be remembered for all the good things he did,like jailing the thief of delta(Ibori),but something tells me he should be careful.Afterall he is still a policeman and the police in Nigeria have no friend.I hope he does not end up in prison like "Tafa the thief"
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Bhola(f): 3:04am On Dec 28, 2007
McKren:

At this point I think President Yaradua should scrap all anti-corruption agencies. War against corruption is not compulsory.

I agree with you. No be by force to fight corruption.

All I have to say is this, if you have been spending time praying for Nigeria, you might just want to stop. There is no need. If people that we call leaders can "rape" us in broad daylight, then there is no need to pray for Nigeria.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by vigasimple(m): 3:06am On Dec 28, 2007
I think that Yar A'dull is just another Shagari waiting to happen.

It is either the man is not an honest man or he is being manipulated. he may appear dull and humble but he is a politician and all he will be doing is political calculation.

My suspicion is that his brother's other friend ATIKU has given him condition before he withdrew his Tribunal petition is to get rid of RIBADU and he did by covering it up with some useless training that the people before RIBADU knows that they only learn how to loot the treasury of the Nigerian Police force there.

If anybody will also care to remember that this same Yar A'dull promised emergency on power. He has done 7months he still don't appear to know the meaning of emergency. They even thought of doing 9,000MW of electrity for N3 trillion naira instead of N1,125trillion naira inflated by well over 265%.

Quantifying prices this days is a piece of cake, you can go online and see prices of everything including the latest A380 Super jumbo jet or Boeing 787. our leaders are fools they take us for.

within 12 months by this time next year the man Yar A'dull and his cronies would have been fully exposed.

Until then we prayed for God to spare our lives to witness who among us is a fool, the politician or the people.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by debosky(m): 3:09am On Dec 28, 2007
McKren take Sahara's words with a pinch of salt - their mendacity and penchant for sensationalism is unrivaled.

Its truly a sad day in the nation's anti-corruption crusade - Simply sack him, why play these games of 'one year training'??

It shows Yar'adua is trying to please all sides at the same time and may not be bold enough to take a stand on what he firmly believes.

BigB has never liked Ribadu, so don't be surprised by his antics, he is obviously thinks some people are deceived by his 'perfection and rule of law' singsongs, I'm not - that is an euphemism for not doing anything and waiting forever for the evil ones to enjoy their loot and continue to rape and pillage the nation.

What is this 'root' of Ribadu? appointed through the influence of Atiku over the wishes of Tafa and co? Turned against his 'boss' Atiku and sided with the president?

The people who he 'hounded' - how many of them were innocent? Its truly a sad day, they want to relegate the man to the backwaters so as to bury him far away where he will not affect their chop and quench games.

I'm sad, but I still believe there is hope - Ribadu came out when no one thought such was possible, but that was largely due to the unalloyed backing of his Boss combined with his personal strength of character. Does Yar'adua possess the guts to do this?

Time will tell. Another ambiguous step by the administration, no clear direction of where its focus lies. A Training Program?? What Nonsense.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 3:11am On Dec 28, 2007
he (Ribadu) should be aplauded

No doubt about it, he should definitely be applauded, but at the same time he should also be shown the highway straight back to his village.

Nigeria deserves much better than a mere OBJ's police dog!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 3:19am On Dec 28, 2007
BigB has never liked Ribadu

Absolutely, not correct.

I was one of the first group to come out vigorously singing the holy song behind Ribadu till the 3rd term scenario irrupted.
I was so much in love with the man, that I paid extra to have a plate number that says "DE EFCC". I hate short cuts, selectivity and absolutely despise anyone that has no respect for human rights.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by tai2(m): 3:20am On Dec 28, 2007
Me I no just know which one be some people own?  Big B which one you dey?, If you have 100 thieves and the EFCC manages to catch at least 10 big ones,  won't it stop other people from trying to steal?

Fine, lets say Ribadu wasn't exactly fair to all and pursued some more vigorously than others (every dog has a master), the point is at least he caught some and kept the new politicians that just came in on their toes. The fight for corruption starts somewhere and I see nabbing that theiving son of a bastard Ibori as one hell of a start.

This Yar'Adua script never fooled me for one moment, people kept saying the guy is good, the guy is good. I said, let us wait and see. This is a guy who said he had 150 million when he entered office only to declare 900 million plus 8 years later, which bank did he invest his money in to get such outstanding returns?

There is corruption everywhere even in the United States and the United Kingdom, but there are certain things you don't get away with just like that. Even the most rugged criminals in America and the United States go to painstaking efforts to disguise their source of wealth. In Nigeria however, the reverse is the case, people who don't even have an IQ loot with reckless abandon and we glorify them on the pages of newspapers and come to forums like Nairaland to whine and complain.

If they even had the sense to invest the money properly in industries and businesses that would do well on the global stage and for Nigerians, that would be something. Rather, these sons of cockroaches with no pedigree delude themselves by creating illusions of grandeur and styling themselves "Sheiks". They forget that even royalty and thieves abroad invest in solid businesses  and structures in their countries first, go and ask the rich Jews who built Israel, the Arabs that create palaces from sand and the Swiss who have developed their country simply by investing other people's money. Didn't Malaysia turn into a global giant because the got palm oil seedlings from us?

The most annoying complaints I hear are from those resident abroad who keep crying for something to happen without doing anything about it, yo think all this noisemaking will change anything?, una too talk abeg. Yes Nuhu Ribadu wasn't perfect, but what the hell are you all doing about the whole corruption thing other than to complain? It annoys me that some Nigerian will sit somewhere in London or Madrid in the comfort of their homes and start complaining about problems they are not ready to help solve simply because Internet access comes cheap,

Instead of financing an armed resistance, buying sniper rifles or finding the guts to blow these theiving bastards straight to hell were they belong, una dey dey make noise, if we're not ready to put up, lets shut up.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by blueband(m): 3:27am On Dec 28, 2007
"The EFCC is an institution and not an individual. The anti-corruption agency was not built around one person. It is a very good test to establish whether Ribadu has built the EFCC as an institution or he was building his image.

If the EFCC can not do without him it means he has failed. Sending him on course is not a breach of the EFCC Act. The law empowers the President to remove him without giving any excuse, his tenure is not a guaranteed one"

-Prof.Sagay
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 3:29am On Dec 28, 2007
Big B which one you dey?, If you have 100 thieves and the EFCC manages to catch at least 10 big ones,  won't it stop other people from trying to steal?

But the sad part is the fact that EFCC has never successfully captured anybody. The bad guys understand the defectiveness of this organization and they continue to use it to their advantage.

To be successfull in anything you must learn the game, understand the game, practice the game and then go out and play the game.

Unfortunately, Mr. Ribadu didn't even bother to recognize the game; and when you do that, 9 out of 10 you will be sent back to your village.

I am confident that Ribadu's replacement will be 10 times better; because a sensible man don't repeat or follow the same mistake.

Please, allow the man (RIBADU) to go manage OBJ's Otta farm; where there are less challenges and will be more successful out there!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 3:31am On Dec 28, 2007
"The EFCC is an institution and not an individual.

A very good point; but unfortunately Mr.Ribadu thought EFCC was his personal home based business.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Kobojunkie: 3:32am On Dec 28, 2007
Ok. Am I the only one in here who sees a pattern imerging Or are we going to blame this one on the media yet AGAINLMAO!!!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 3:33am On Dec 28, 2007
Instead of a group concept, it was all RIBADU's personal agenda, which was also cooked for him with a lot of curry and hot pepper by OBJ.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Bhola(f): 3:35am On Dec 28, 2007
Wow, Big B, everything happening is all Obj's fault. Now I know that Nigeria will never get better, if we have people thinking like this.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Mamajama(m): 3:40am On Dec 28, 2007
BIGB1 you are so stupid and dumb  your stinking  ass can't even see.  RIBADU replacement is Solomon ARASE?

DO you know who this guy is?  The PSO to EHINDERO that you talk so bad about here.  SO dude this move is political, and OKIRO should stop lying to the people and tell the truth that people like IBB and ATIKU ODILI AND IBORI are behind this disgusting move.

As long as we are standing IBB will never know no peace.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by tai2(m): 3:41am On Dec 28, 2007
Sagay can make statements for all I care, the Prof. appelation does not necessarily connote inherent wisdom in all things earthly including the fight on corruption, this was the same Sagay who made some very wrong historical points about the Warri issue, lets talks issues here. The fact was Nuhu Ribadu started something, let him finish what he started before we start talking of successors, or setting a model in place. His whole tenure was basically geared around building a thick case file to nab these crooks when they got out of office, when he gets them in prison you start talking of succesors and the future.

Besides any EFCC chairman is an appointee of the President and wouldn't necessarily be a recommednation from the Chairman so there would have been no assurances of continiuty or a replacement who pursued the same agenda which Ribadu did,
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Mamajama(m): 3:42am On Dec 28, 2007
How funny OKIRO said he will be in Jos and can still perform his duty.  Please do you know what is in that staff college in Jos?

Mountain and hills  useless country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

S’south Got Lion’s Share Of PTF Projects Under Buhari - Figures Don't Lie / President Buhari Declines Assent To NOSDRA Amendment Bill / ‘Sacked’ Osinbajo’s Aides Not In Humanitarian Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.