Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,736 members, 7,851,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:38 PM

Ribadu Fired! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Fired! (16252 Views)

Top Civil Servants May Be Fired For Sabotaging President Buhari’s Budget / EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust / Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 10:21pm On Dec 29, 2007
Don't you have home work or take home project to do?

tai2:
Again, please be very careful.
Nairaland is a wonderful and friendly place to visit, but please do not turn things upside down for yourself. It's just too early and absolutely not smart for you to pick a fight.

Trust me!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by babasin(m): 10:23pm On Dec 29, 2007
Mr. Ribadu spent almost 2 months travelling all over the world announcing that all our leaders are thieves. He wanted the whole world to help Nigeria fight corruption as if the world don't have their own corruption problem.

thats exactly the point.

The WEST he ran to are same people that KEPT the looted money in their banks.

Ofcourse, they are happy to say: well we told you those BLOODY Nigerians are corrupt, their EFCC chairman even said it!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by tai2(m): 10:27pm On Dec 29, 2007
Lol BigB1, don't make threats you can't keep, makes you look more like a teenager acting out his Mafia fantasies. BTW I don't work, some of us have finished making our money and  are content to tour these boards listening to the voices of people like you. Go to asmallworld.net and learn the art of decorum and etiquette first,
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 10:28pm On Dec 29, 2007
Posted by  Don1DeMaco:
so now its about protecting a false image
so we should tell the world there is no corruption in Nigeria when it is obvious
i don't get u

Yes, it is obvious that you totally don't get it.
Just keep in mind that outsiders will only treat you the way you present yourself.

Yes, our leaders are crazy and corrupt just like leaders in United States, Russia, North Korea, China, South Korea, Jamaica, Trinidad, France, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Bahamas and many many more.

You can fight this war without advertising and trading the pride and image of our great nation.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by babasin(m): 10:34pm On Dec 29, 2007
ENOUGH OF RIBADU:

enjoy ping pong: press space bar to start and refresh to play again

grin grin grin

Re: Ribadu Fired! by tai2(m): 10:41pm On Dec 29, 2007
Other countries in the world have a corruption problem, agreed, but at least they either keep the money in their countries and use it to develop their countries instead. These fools here still the money and go to England to buy Palaces instead of working on their villages first. Imagine every leader of this country leaving the country for medical checkups when they get a stomach ache, so even the hospitals in Abuja the so-called wonder city aren't good enough?

Unfortunately some Nigerians in the name of false patriotism are here boasting of a " great country" when in this day and age we have no other excuse to fail, with over $280 billion dollars collected in oil revenue and nothing to show for it, I'd say we're worse off than other corrupt countries in the world, even the so called top 10./,
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 10:43pm On Dec 29, 2007
FBI was sent to Atiku's house in United States and they found nothing.

FYI: FBI just didn't go to his house just to pay him a visit for his birthday. They were sent there by EFCC (OBJ), but fortunately for ATIKU, they did not find anything. And this is why FBI continues to treat EFCC as a daytime joke.

Before you get FBI involve in anything, you must be sure and have reliable evidence, not just OBJ's evidence.

Do you guys understand the damage that FBI invitation did to the credibility of our nation?

Not that I'm supporting Atiku, but EFCC turned Atiku into a new hero in Nigeria today; all because Rabidu wanted his greedy boss to go to bed smiling
Re: Ribadu Fired! by blueband(m): 11:26pm On Dec 29, 2007
Big B1:

FBI was sent to Atiku's house in United States and they found nothing.

FYI: FBI just didn't go to his house just to pay him a visit for his birthday. They were sent there by EFCC (OBJ), but fortunately for ATIKU, they did not find anything. And this is why FBI continues to treat EFCC as a daytime joke.

Before you get FBI involve in anything, you must be sure and have reliable evidence, not just OBJ's evidence.

Do you guys understand the damage that FBI invitation did to the credibility of our nation?

Not that I'm supporting Atiku, but EFCC turned Atiku into a new hero in Nigeria today; all because Rabidu wanted his greedy boss to go to bed smiling

Today Atiku is a hero in Nigeria because of what he went through under OBJ.someone like Atiku should be rotting in the hottest part of Kirikiri.This is what happens when justice is seen to be selective.It loses it's value.If EFCC had gone for OBJ too,I doubt if anyone will be criticisng Ribadu the way they are now.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by EmekaNaija(m): 11:30pm On Dec 29, 2007
Simply put, RIbadu was given a soft landing just as any politician. Now he can resign if he doesnt like the training and go full time into politics. One man cannot be greater than a nation. Now he can move down to Otta farm since i learnt his baba has a new 45 room mansion.
You people should stop noise making and pray Yaradua choses the right horse to replace the goner. Now Ribadu's problems just begun like his best friend El RUfai.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by ono(m): 11:39pm On Dec 29, 2007
At that point when EFCC became a tool in the hands of OBJ for persecuting all his anti-third term apostles. . . . which he practically succeeded in doing, EFCC lost her credibility.

Beside, their investigations and actions have always baffled me.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 11:54pm On Dec 29, 2007
Posted by Blueband:
Today Atiku is a hero in Nigeria because of what he went through under OBJ.someone like Atiku should be rotting in the hottest part of Kirikiri.This is what happens when justice is seen to be selective.It loses it's value.If EFCC had gone for OBJ too,I doubt if anyone will be criticisng Ribadu the way they are now.

Posted by Emekanaija:
Simply put, RIbadu was given a soft landing just as any politician. Now he can resign if he doesnt like the training and go full time into politics. One man cannot be greater than a nation. Now he can move down to Otta farm since i learnt his baba has a new 45 room mansion.
You people should stop noise making and pray Yaradua choses the right horse to replace the goner. Now Ribadu's problems just begun like his best friend El RUfai.

Posted by Ono:
At that point when EFCC became a tool in the hands of OBJ for persecuting all his anti-third term apostles. . . . which he practically succeeded in doing, EFCC lost her credibility.

Now, you guys are starting to see the light!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by edgecution(m): 12:13am On Dec 30, 2007
I wonder where you get all your information from. I think a guy like you need to get his head examined. YOU DONT EVEN
blueband:

EmekaNaija:

ono:

KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN ASO ROCK. UR HATRED FOR RIBADU HAS BECLOUDED UR COMON SENSE. IF U HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING GOOD IN RIBADU,MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS APPRECIATE HIS GOOD WORKS.EVEN HIS FOREMOST CRITIC WOLE SOYINKA SAID IT. SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO FEED US HERE. YOU ARE A NONENTITY!!!!
Big B1:

The man was on CNN, MPR, BBC, New York Times, Channel 5, Channel 10, Show time, HBO, MNBC, CBS and many many more selling us at 85% off (discount).

And you truly think this man understands protecting the pride of Nigeria and getting his job done at the same time.
I don't think so>>>>>

Gif me a break!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by lynxnoon(m): 12:49am On Dec 30, 2007
So all d other AIGs will follow Ribadu to Jos for d so-called compulsory course, one man poison go be other men's wahala grin grin grin grin grin
Abeg let's call a spade a spade: RIBADU TIME TO WAKA!!!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by hbrednic: 1:00am On Dec 30, 2007
@edgecution or execution
take it easy,do you have to call somebody a NONETITY to prove your point.
its a little world enjoy it while you can, so stop boiling.
TAKE SOME BEER AND BE HAPPY!!!!!!!

Ribadu is gone,NEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXT.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by question(m): 2:47am On Dec 30, 2007
The magicians have done it again.
Abracadabra !!!!!!!!!Abracadabra!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abracadabra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abracadabra !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by maybech: 4:20am On Dec 30, 2007
I was very busy telling folks out here that Nigeria, at last, got an educated President - The first time in her history - I wish I knew better. All sentiments apart, none of our so-called "uneducated" Presidents would have committed such a blunder. It was my believe that our President was a professor in the university. Too bad.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Nobody: 4:57am On Dec 30, 2007
How Ribadu reacted to his removal, by ex-aide PDF Print E-mail
Written by Tashikalmah Hallah
Sunday, 30 December 2007

Malam Rabe Nasir, former Special Assistant to Malam Nuhu Ribadu, is at present the vice-chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Drugs, Narcotics and Financial Crimes. Nasir said in this interview explains how Ribadu takes his removal from the EFCC. He spoke to Tashikalmah Hallah.

You have worked with Nuhu Ribadu as his Special Assistant at the EFCC. How do you view his removal as chairman of the EFCC?

Well, I have heard about his removal and my first reaction was one of calm and I decided to call him and I called him yesterday (Friday). He confirmed it to me that he has indeed been asked to proceed for further studies at Kuru in Jos. I feel that Nuhu has done very well, this country has benefited immensely from his services from his wealth of experience. He started the anti-corruption agency from the scratch to what is it today. He has mapped out the strategy to make it accomplish the task ahead and he has succeeded in no small measure in fighting corruption in this country and even beyond. He has restored the confidence of the international community on Nigeria. From what he himself told me, he has nothing against anybody and he will continue with his life. ‘Life goes on’ he said that life is like that it has its beginning and end and he has to take solace in the fact that; he has done his best. He has contributed his quota very well and he has performed his own to maximum satisfaction. And he is happy with what he has done so far, he knows that there is an end to everything and that he believes that God has made it possible for him to come to an end in the service of his father land. He said he harbours no malice, he harbours no ill feelings, there is no problem that he has taken the decision taken against him and that he is going to continue with his life and he is going to do it greatly and that he is grateful to God and to Nigerians who have allowed him to serve the country in the way he did. He is very proud with what he has achieved and what he has accomplished for this country.

I want people to know that this is not the last we hear and we see and we receive from Nuhu Ribadu as a Nigerian and as an accomplished law enforcement agent and a patriotic Nigerian who has exhibited in no uncertain terms about his passion to serve his country he has single handedly brought EFCC to what it is today. He has made tremendous achievement and I am happy to share in the glory of his achievement but I must say this country will never be the same again. Nuhu Ribadu has started this fight but I can tell you this is a leeway and not an end to it at all. As a matter of fact, he has set the ball rolling and people will just come and continue. And I call on Nigerians to reserve their comments until they see who replaces him. This fight is going to continue, I have every reason to believe that this is not the end of EFCC and this is not the end of Nuhu Ribadu, and this will not be the end of anti-corruption crusade in this country. The government will definitely study the situation and make appropriate replacement. My prayer is that we should have somebody who can fill the gap left by Nuhu Ribadu and even surpass his achievement. I believe we should not express worry and Nigerians should not worry if we have somebody who will just continue with the fight against corruption and keep the momentum and keep the tempo the way it is today and even go ahead to enhance and replaced the overall productivity of the commission.

While Nuhu Ribadu is steering the affairs of the EFCC, he was serving on secondment from the Nigeria Police Force. So, his primary responsibility and his primary constituency is the Nigeria Police Force. So, if they feel that by their procedure and by their professionalism Nuhu Ribadu should proceed on course especially by virtue of his exalted position as an Assistant Inspector General of Police, I think its okay. Nigerians and Nuhu Ribadu should receive this clearly that it is part of the professionalism and his career as a policeman.

His removal came at a critical time when he is prosecuting some prominent politicians like the former Governor of Delta State James Ibori. Don’t you think that his removal was done at the wrong time?

No, actually, I don’t want to believe that the change has anything to do with the cases the EFCC has been handling. Because in any case if a leadership must be changed it must be change at a time when there are on going cases, change will not mean the end of these cases or whatever. I believe this matter should be seen on the context the government wants it to be seen. I think people should give government the benefit of doubt and see what is going to happen. But personally, I don’t believe that the change came about as a result of these issues you have raised. I believe there are even more important things, even more crucial and critical issues, at stake which might have necessitated the changes. So, I don’t subscribe to the idea, not at all. I know whichever way we looked at this matter, it would definitely be seen within the context of the implication of this change within the time it came. I, as somebody who has worked in the EFCC and somebody who has hand in its formation and its resilience and its overall achievements, I believe in the staff of the EFCC and the capacity of the commission, is such that whatever that have started must definitely be carried on with if you get the right person at the helm of affairs.

When you spoke to him, how did he take the sudden action against him and the people’s reaction towards his removal?

I can tell you unequivocally that he called me yesterday and his reaction to what has happened, which I asked him to confirm was that of philosophical calmness. He was very calm because he said he has seen what has happen in the light of destiny. He said God must have made it possible to happen this way and he taken it in very very good faith. He also said that he served for five years and that it is an opportunity for another person to equally come and try his best for his best for his father land. That he habours no malice like I said that he has no ill feelings, hard feelings for anybody, for the government or anybody, that he is going to continue with his own life and that life goes on.

Did he show any remorse over allegations that he fought the corruption war selectively?

You see there is no doubt Nuhu has got some moments of despair while serving, that definitely because the EFCC has touched many areas hitherto untouchable and certainly Nuhu Ribadu has assumed a position that nobody ever assumed such position in this country that made him security risk anywhere and that he knows quite well, that he was working on a very rare condition and rare passion and certainly he has some moments where he was not particularly happy with what was going on especially with some controversial matters between him and others. But I can tell you that have never shaken his resolve and resilient to serve his country in the way he has been asked to do.

Considering what he did at the EFCC, does Ribadu have any fear for his personal safety?

Well, I’ve never discussed that one with him. But you see Ribadu has been a police office ever since and I believe he knows what he is doing, he will definitely take into cognisance his personal security and now that he is not where he used to be, he is going to further his studies, I believe he is going to gather his attention on what he is asked to do now because he always a man of action all the time. As far as his personal security is concerned, it is not only his responsibility, it is ultimately the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and we also plead with people to understand that Nuhu Ribadu must have acted in the way he did in the exercise of his power and in the overall responsibility that was given to him to justify the confidence reposed in him.

Was Nuhu Ribadu asked to resign or was he just asked to proceed to Jos for his course? Because he still have three more years to spend at the EFCC.

No, you see he could not have resigned. Remember he was seconded from the police so if his primary constituency called him back or assigned him to another assignment, I think the way to do it is not to sack him or made him to resign. He did not do either of the two. I think what must have happened to him was to simply ask him to move to, to proceed to where he was asked to go for the course. He didn’t personally tell me that he been sacked, and I personally know that he has not been sack or removed like what most people may believed. He was simply asked to proceed for the course.

Does that mean he would return to EFCC after his course at Kuru, Jos?

Well, it’s difficult to say. I don’t think the letter is specific or the impression is specific. And personally, I don’t believe that he should come back because he has tried his best as has achieved a lot at the EFCC. So, I think its better he goes for good, it’s better to leave when the ovation is loudest or is still loud. So it is assumed if he comes back he will go back to his constituency, which is the police, and he would be among the police command in the police structure.

What will be future of fight against corruption in Nigeria?

As far as I’m concerned in this country that this crusade against corruption which he started will definitely continue. It is the resolve of all Nigerians to make a total break with the past especially the recent past that this fight against corruption must continue and must be sustained. Anybody who tampers with it is to his own peril.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Nobody: 5:02am On Dec 30, 2007
He is On Study Leave, Insists Presidency
FROM MADU ONUORAH, ABUJA

CONTRARY to widespread belief that the EFCC boss, Nuhu Ribadu, is being sent on 'Study Leave' preparatory to his being removed from office as the nation's Chief Crime Buster, the Presidency stated at the weekend that he was actually "going on study leave; and not being removed from office."

According to one of the President's top aides, "this President, who has anchored his administration on the rule of law, has not approved the removal of the EFCC chairman from office. And he has no intention to do so at present."

He continued: "As he (Ribadu) proceeds on study leave, know it that the EFCC chairman is not going to be replaced. He will remain in office as chairman but the most senior officer at the Commission will act for him until he returns.

"So, the negative interpretations, mischievous innuendoes and clear-sighted falsehood being bandied about that the President is bowing to some 'powerful interests' who are out to subvert the war against corruption by sacking Mallam Ribadu, are outright lies by armchair critics and those who do not wish Nigeria well."

Another of the sources, however, hinted of the President's unease with Ribadu's apparent personalisation of the anti-corruption body.

"The President is worried that if the current fight against corruption is tied to the fortunes of one individual in office, it will be short-lived," said the source also close to the State House.

"The media and the generality of Nigerians have to know that it would pay us more if we build institutions rather than tying it to the continuation of one person or the other in office. Simply put, the President is not happy that he (Ribadu) has personalised the EFCC."

However, while Ribadu is on the 'study leave', the most senior officer in the Commission would handle its day-to-day administration in an acting capacity, until Ribadu returns to his office at the expiration of the course.

Barring any eventuality, Ribadu will be among the new participants of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), Kuru, Plateau State, when President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua inaugurates the nine-month intensive course in February 2008.

The National Institute, one of the parastatals located in the Presidency, was approved in July 1978 and legally established by the promulgation of Decree No. 20 of 1979.

It was conceived and designed to provide a forum where initiators and executors of policy from all sectors of the nation's economy would not only brainstorm and fashion new ideas. They would also detail out how to promote integration, harmony, communication, understanding and co-operation among the integral parts of the country.

The Memo from the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro to President Yar'Adua on the nomination of Mallam Ribadu for the course arrived on the President's desk during the ongoing holidays.

Sources told The Guardian yesterday that the President, who had consistently fenced off pressures from diverse interest groups to relieve the EFCC chairman of his position, finally approved the NIPSS course nomination.

But the President would, in Mallam Ribadu's period of study leave, forward his name to the Senate for re-confirmation as stipulated in the EFCC Act.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo had re-appointed Ribadu for another four-year tenure last April without forwarding his name to the Senate for re-confirmation as required by the Act.

This was to forestall his name being rejected by the former Senate amidst insinuations that the EFCC and Ribadu were "too closely tied," to the former President.

Lately, President Yar'Adua has been inundated with pressures from the political elite especially some Senators, who have consistently accused Ribadu of "being in office illegally."

Such critics point out that, "technically, he is handling the job of the EFCC chairman in acting capacity, as his reappointment has not been ratified by the Senate."

"The President has not forwarded his name to the Senate for reconfirmation obviously because this would be defeated in the Senate, as all the forces against him (Ribadu) would array themselves to give him his own pound of flesh," another source said.

But the President, the source added, "is angry at some of the reports he has been getting from those who had been dealing with the EFCC chairman directly."

The source said: "One involves his relationship with his superiors at the Police Headquarters. It was said that Mr. Okiro invited the EFCC chairman to his office before announcing his nomination to the media, to intimate him of his intention to nominate him for the NIPSS course.

"The EFCC chairman pointedly told the IG that he does not report nor answerable to the Police. That is clear insubordination.

"It has also been reported that during the tenure of the former IG, Mr. Sunday Ehindero, Mallam Ribadu, knowing that a meeting of the IG with then DIGs (Deputy Inspector Generals of Police) would be taking place, would just open doors and enter the meeting rooms without showing courtesies.

"Unfortunately, those DIGs he spurned then are the ones in charge of the Police today."

The source continued: "Also, I can tell you that the President is worried that every officer that has had encounter with the EFCC chairman has faced blackmail. It is either that that officer is shielding corrupt serving or former governors or other top government officials.

"It is like he (Ribadu) has perfected the act of using the media and the manipulation of public opinion to fight institutional wars. That is not the right thing to do. Some things can be sorted out without resort to the media or blackmail."
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Nobody: 5:04am On Dec 30, 2007
Pressure on President to Overrule Okiro On Ribadu
FROM JOHN-ABBA OGBODO, ABUJA

PRESSURE is mounting on the Presidency to reverse the decision of the Police high command to send the EFCC chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, for a year course at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), Kuru in Plateau State.

This is coming as the Police have denied the said plot to remove Ribadu as the head of the anti-corruption agency.

It was gathered that the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, took time to explain his action to the Vice President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, whose office supervises NIPSS, as to why the Police took the decision to send Ribadu to Kuru.

The Guardian learnt at the weekend that worried by the development, some top Nigerians had got in touch with President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, who told them that he was not involved in the whole process.

And following the avalanche of inquiries and protests to the Presidency, the President is reportedly considering another option that will help douse the tension that the development is generating.

Sources informed that one of the options is to defer the course until such a reasonable time that most of the cases the EFCC is prosecuting in the courts might have been exhausted. By which time, Ribadu's second tenure may be coming to an end.

Subsequently, the President, his deputy and the Police hierarchy will meet this week to work a way out of the raging controversy.

In a reaction to the outcry, the police authorities yesterday denied any plot to remove Ribadu. The Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), Agberebi Akpoebi, and Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), told The Guardian on telephone that Okiro chose Ribadu for the course based on his eligibility.

Stressing that going on course would not mean removing Ribadu from his position, Akpoebi added that many officers had attended such course and were not removed from any position.

He said: "What I want people to get clearly is that the IGP chose Ribadu among other officers based on eligibility for the course. The IGP is not removing him from his work because he did not appoint him for the job anyway.

"It was the President who put him there and it is only the President that can remove him. The IGP is only doing his professional job by recommending his officers, who are eligible for the course and Ribadu is the second on the list."

Since Okiro made the recommendation that the EFCC chief should go to NIPSS public, a lot of interpretations have been given to the action with many coming to the conclusion that it was a ploy to throw a spanner into the wheel of the commission.

But sources hinted that of all the serving Deputy Inspector Generals (DIGs) and the Assistant Inspector Generals (AIGs) it is only Ribadu, who has more than five years to serve, that had not attended the course.

There are, however, DIGs and about five AIGs, who had not attended NIPSS but sources explained that the Police authorities did not slate them for the course because "they have less than five years to retire from the Force."

Investigation also revealed that some AIGs had not been considered for the course because of their special fields. Among these are doctors and accountants.

"If you go through the staff list, you will discover that after Ribadu, who is an AIG, you have Commissioners of Police. It is not right to skip him and begin to send Commissioners of Police to NIPSS.

"We are following the seniority list and that is how we settle for him as one of the senior officers entitled to go for he course," the source added.

The source also said that Ribadu ought to have come to the Louis Edet House, Force Headquarters, Abuja, to find out things for himself from the office of the IGP.

It noted that usually, senior officers consult the office of the Police boss to find out developments within the Force.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by BigB11(m): 5:05am On Dec 30, 2007
I was very busy telling folks out here that Nigeria, at last, got an educated President - The first time in her history - I wish I knew better.  All sentiments apart, none of our so-called "uneducated" Presidents would have committed such a blunder.  It was my believe that our President was a professor in the university. Too bad.
What has he done wrong?

Having Ribadu around would have only created an unnecessary obstacle for the fight against corruption.
Ribadu was a perfect excuse for the corrupt leaders!

I truly do not know what it will take to make it clear to Nigeria that having Ribadu (OBJ) around would only further divide Nigeria and war against corruption will become a permanent rat race war.

I just do not get. The man has done is best, allow others to show us what they can do.
Ribadu is just a Nigerian just like any one of us; he's not the EFCC.

The more we prolong this discussion the more will continue to reduce the importance and value of this organization.

Let the man waka in peace!
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Don1DeMaco: 7:31am On Dec 30, 2007
bigB u never cease to amaze me

taking a cue from ur signature "its not what u do but how u do it" This matter is not just about Ribadu its the manner and deceit behind the action at least the guy no be my relative so how my own take be. but as a concerned nigerian enough is enough we cannot continue to be gullible. abegi if Yar Dull wan remove am make e do am like a man, though i know he is not so i m not surprised. i know u ll say what about how Ribadu conducted his business in EFCC, but i tell u i have no sympathy for criminals especially those that deprive the masses.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Ezenwenyi(m): 10:36am On Dec 30, 2007
[size=14pt]      RIBADU MUST BE PROBED[/size]

IT WILL BE RIGHT TO PROBE RIBADU,SINCE HE HAS BEEN PROBING OTHERS,I JUST THINK IT IS HIS TURN BECAUSE THE SIMPLE TRUTH IS THAT ALL OUR LEADERS ARE CORRUPT INCLUDING OUR DEAR PRESIDENT YARADUA.SO I THINK RIBADU SHOULD BE PROBED SO THAT NIGERIANS WILL BE CONVINCE THAT EFCC IS A RESPECTER OF NO MAN.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by question(m): 11:20am On Dec 30, 2007
ANTI-CORRUPTION SQUAD
1. Ribadu (given red Card)
2. EFCC
3. NAFDAC
4. ICPC
5. Me and you

CORRUPTION SQUAD
1. OBJ and family
2. Ex-presidents
3. Ex-governors
4. Attorney General of Federation
4. Senate and national Assembly
5. Nigerian Police
6. Internet Scammers
Re: Ribadu Fired! by question(m): 11:21am On Dec 30, 2007
Be it a reality or a rumour, it depicts a signal that the evil tools in power have again shown us what they are really up to. We masses know quite well that they are into all these just for their selfish interest to close their wardrobe of corruption. We all know that they are deceiving us. Let us wait and see where they are heading to , since we dont have the power to persuade the political garrsion in control.

Re: Ribadu Fired! by ono(m): 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2007
Why Yar’Adua wants Ribadu out - Plans to prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu and El-Rufai

Contrary to reports that the attempt to remove the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Malam Nuhu Ribadu, through the “backdoor”, is due exclusively to the pressure being brought on President Umaru Yar’Adua by the allegedly corrupt former governors, Sunday Tribune can authoritatively report that the President’s kitchen cabinet has a grouse against Ribadu and his closest political associates who were “Obasanjo’s Boys”. In the light of this, that is, with Ribadu’s removal, sources at the presidency disclosed that there are plans that in the months ahead, to arrest and prosecute some of these “OBJ Boys”, if not their principal.

Sources close to the Aso Rock Villa disclosed to the Sunday Tribune that prior to his ascension of power, President Yar’Adua and his kitchen cabinet had decided that Ribadu and other key officials of the Olusegun Obasanjo presidency, dubbed the “OBJ Boys and Girls” will be “put in their place”, so as to check-mate their principal. The OBJ “boys and girls” included, Ribadu, former Minister of FCT, Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Eweala, former of Education Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili, and the Governor of the Central Bank, Dr. Charles Soludo.

It was gathered that the former FCT Minister, El-Rufai, who led the caucus selected by Obasanjo to search for his successor, was favoured by the “OBJ Boys and Girls” who wanted him to pair with Okonjo-Iweala for the presidential race. When the caucus alongside the former president eventually decided that all the initial front-runners, including former Rivers Governor, Dr. Peter Odili, former Cross Rivers State Governor, Mr. Donald Duke, and former Kaduna State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Makarfi, should be dropped, the members of the caucus thought that El-Rufai would easily emerge, since he was seriously considered by Obasanjo himself.

However, while they were still maneuvering, Yar’Adua’s ‘Man Friday’, Tanimo, gave a secret memo to the caucus titled “The Dark Horse”. In the paper, he proposed that Yar’Adua should be suggested to Obasanjo and the PDP and supported by the caucus to emerge as the party’s presidential flag-bearer, since it had become clear to all that anyone Obasanjo supported would emerge the winner, by hook or crook. At this point, sources in the Villa indicated that El-Rufai “practically tore” the proposal of Tanimo in the latter’s presence. This was reported to Yar’Adua who was said to have kept his peace.

A source close to the caucus however disclosed that indeed, when the Yar’Adua candidacy was canvassed before Obasanjo, he embraced it as the most viable alternative to El-Rufai, whom he was going to settle for. But Obasanjo is said to have considered Yar’Adua a better alternative because he was not as “vocal”, “single-minded” and as “exposed” as one of his young Turks, El-Rufai, and would therefore be more “amenable” to instructions from Obasanjo after he left power. However, Obasanjo did not tell El-Rufai this, according to our highly placed sources. He was said to have told El-Rufai that he (El-Rufai) would be less able to “rein in the military” if he became president. It was eventually agreed that the caucus should support Yar’Adua while El-Rufai would head the most important ministry in the new government, the Ministry of Energy.

This decision is said to have changed the plans of “OBJ Boys and Girls” who had planned that with El-Rufai and Okonjo-Iweala as President and Vice, Ribadu would become the Inspector General of Police, with the EFCC incorporated under the police or with Ridabu having supervisory functions over the Commission as IGP. Despite this, a source close to the Obasanjo’s young Turks stated that the members of the group, particularly El-Rufai and Ribadu, threw themselves into the campaign for Yar’Adua and helped in his emergence, even though they were disappointed with Obasanjo’s decision. The two were said to have boasted to their closest associates about what they did to ensure Yar’Adua’s emergence.

Another source even claimed that after Yar’Adua became president, Ribadu met him to “clear the air” on his position, where he confessed that though he rooted for El-Rufai, once Obasanjo resolved on the new president, he did his part to support him. The “support”, a source disclosed, included “appraising” other top presidential gladiators, particularly the governors, of the “debts” they owed the EFCC if they continued to oppose Obasanjo’s favoured candidate, Yar’Adua.

Whether they supported Yar’Adua or not, it was clear that the taciturn former Governor of Katsina and his own kitchen cabinet were not impressed with the role of Ribadu and El-Rufai and saw them as potential rivals within the new government. With Yar’Adua in the saddle, the hope of El-Rufai becoming Minister of Energy died quickly. The process of the appointment of El-Rufai’s successor at the FCT Ministry was considered not only “hasty” but also “untidy” by the “Obasanjo Boys”. Rufai was the first to be quickly replaced by the new government. Also, when Soludo, another member of the caucus, announced a new monetary regime, Yar’Adua promptly cancelled the plan. It was reported in the media that while Soludo conferred with Obasanjo before making the announcement, the new President, Yar’Adua, was kept in the dark.

But the plan to remove Ribadu, Sunday Tribune learnt, was far more complicated for many reasons including the popularity of the anti-corruption war, despite what many considered as the “duplicity” of the Obasanjo government, the international connections, funding and praises that the EFCC had attracted, and the law setting-up the Commission. Given all these, despite the desperate moves by the indicted former governors to quickly see the back of Ribadu and the eagerness of the new Justice Minister and Attorney-General to curtail the actions of Ribadu and the EFCC, President Yar’Adua and his kitchen cabinet decided to proceed with caution. Our sources hinted that to convince the hawks in the inner caucus of the new presidency, a couple of attempts were made to rob the EFCC of its bite, which attracted high public denunciation.

The Yar’Adua caucus then went back to the drawing board to plan how to end the “Ribadu menace”, including stressing the “duplicity” of the Commission and the assumed decision of the Commission to avert its gaze from Obasanjo’s alleged corruption. However, some in the inner circle of the Yar’Adua presidency were becoming impatient with Ribadu given the renewed vigour, after the initial impediments placed by the new Attorney-General, with which he pursued the former governors. It was then decided that the “Ribadu menace” must not be carried into the New Year. However, it was also decided that the presidency should appear to have nothing to do with Ribadu’s removal, with an “ingenious” option devised, which was to ask the IG of Police to order Ribadu to proceed on a course at the Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru.

However, a top source hinted the Sunday Tribune that the decision to shunt aside El-Rufai and to remove Ribadu, are part of the elaborate plan of Yar’Adua and his kitchen cabinet to not only prevent Obasanjo from implementing his plan to rule from Ota, but to also embarrass him so much that he would be left without any room to maneuver and “disturb and harass” the new government, “as he did the Shagari government”, after he handed over in 1979. It is in this context that this top source revealed that once Ribadu has been successfully removed from the EFCC, investigations would begin into all the allegations leveled against former President Olusegun Obasanjo, including those leveled against Ribadu himself and the former FCT Minister, El-Rufai, particularly over the controversial Pentascope.

At the weekend, Ribadu denied that he has been asked to proceed to Kuru, reminding journalists that it is only the President that has the power to appoint and sack him as the Executive Chairman of the EFCC.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by ono(m): 12:35pm On Dec 30, 2007
[size=14pt]Petition That Nailed Ribadu[/size]

His Unfinished Business In Public Service

FROM MARTINS OLOJA (ABUJA BUREAU CHIEF) - www.ngrguardiannews.com

AS the Presidency dithers in issuing statement on the tenure of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as EFCC Chairman, it has been confirmed that the school idea was a mere strategically planned "safe landing" for the anti-corruption chief.

The Guardian learnt at the weekend that some of the President's men that had been looking for adversarial material to hack the EFCC boss recently found some "damaging" tool in the hand of one of the ex-convicts, Chief Emmanuel O. Nwude, that the anti-graft body had prosecuted and jailed.

Nwude, who recently published an open letter to the President on how the EFCC defrauded him through the sale of his numerous assets to offset his victims, reportedly played into the waiting hands of those that wanted Ribadu out of the anti-corruption agency.

Apart from various complaints by lawyers to accused persons and his (Ribadu's) link to former President Olusegun Obasanjo, it was gathered that the Presidency was unhappy with the way the EFCC handled the recent arraignment of former Governor James Ibori.

Ibori was the only governor, who physically accompanied, in his Delta State official car, Yar'Adua during the presidential campaigns early in the year.

Ibori allegedly committed a lot of the state funds to the presidential campaign that brought Yar'Adua to power. And according to a source, "the same Ibori is being arraigned by the same government for misusing Delta State funds. Hence, another reason to show Ribadu the way out of EFCC."

It was confirmed that the open letter published in a national on Monday, December 24, 2007 was first secretly treated in the Presidency before it was released for publication.

This is the origin of the petition that was used as the last weapon to nail the anti-corruption crusader.

Chief Nwude, who completed his jail terms last year, reportedly found his way into the Presidency and complained to the President's men about the way the EFCC allegedly sold his assets to cronies at ridiculous prices.

The officials were said to have taken notes of the graphic details of the ex-convict's complaints against the EFCC boss and his men.

According to sources, Nwude was asked to write details of the allegations against the EFCC boss to the President. He promptly did. He was later encouraged to publish the serious allegations in some key dailies.

It was gathered that not many papers were ready to publish the damning allegations, but one did last Monday while the alleged plot to remove Mallam Ribadu was thickening in government circles in Abuja.

The plan reached a crescendo last Thursday when the Police authorities disclosed that they had, indeed, concluded arrangement to send Ribadu to the NIPSS for a one-year course.

In the full page advertorial, Chief Nwude narrated how in 2003, he was arrested and charged for fraud by the ACP Nuhu Ribadu-led EFCC.

Nwude, generally believed to be the first major catch by the EFCC at inception, chronicled 18 items of the alleged EFCC corrupt practices in the sale of his assets to named EFCC cronies and how their consultants and lawyers benefited from it.

Besides, the complainant told the President how certain judicial officers in the Lagos judiciary allegedly compromised their positions by colluding with the EFCC in the alleged deals. He asked the President to order serious inquiry into the allegations.

Admitting that what he did was not good, Nwude appealed to the President to "use your good office and look into my case and also temper justice with mercy. I have been stripped bare. I am homeless and I have nothing to live on, "

It was understood last night that the Nwude petition was copied to the Vice President, the Senate President, Speaker of the House of Representatives, the SGF and the Attorney General and Minister of Justice.

Others copied are the IGP; Chairman, National Judicial Council; Chairman, ICPC; Chairman, National Human Rights Commission; President, NBA; the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Public Petitions; House Committee on Judiciary and Public Petitions and the Chairman of the EFCC.

The petition appears timely and useful to the "hawks" who insisted in the Presidency last week that "Ribadu must go."

It was not clear at press time if the Presidency will order full investigation into the numerous allegations by Chief Nwude who defrauded some Brazilian concerns to the tune of $250 million that had been returned to them.

Ribadu's Unfinished Business

MEANWHILE, The Guardian confirmed at the weekend that one of the critical assignments the outgoing EFCC boss would miss is a probe of federal permanent secretaries and directors who are alleged to have falsified their age declarations to remain in service.

Specifically, the police chief was handed the assignment by the Federal Government on Friday, November 23, this year at the Inaugural Meeting of the Steering Committee on Reforms (SCR) headed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).

At the meeting, Ribadu was given the mandate to work with the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) and the office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) to probe the allegation that some permanent secretaries and directors had falsified their age declarations to remain in office.

There has been growing concern in the federal bureaucracy that some permanent secretaries and officers in the directorate cadre have been implicated in age declaration scandal.

The development has led to petitions by some senior officers, who were either class or school mates of some suspected officers, revealing that the serving officers are older than they claim.

Claims are said to have portrayed some officers as having graduated at the age of 10 or 12.

Besides, some officers from certain states that have also petitioned the Presidency wonder how assistant directors from the same states are older than their permanent secretaries and directors even as they entered the same service in the same dispensation.

The President had noted the issue and adopted it to be probed by the Steering Committee on Reforms headed by the SGF whose office now supervises the Bureau of Public Service Reforms (BPSR).

A source in the Presidency revealed at the weekend that it was Ribadu, who, at the meeting, insisted that falsification of age declaration is a criminal offence. He pledged to provide forensic experts to unravel the succession crisis and aging workforce in the bureaucracy.

The Steering Committee Meeting had then "noted the gravity of the records falsification not only as criminal act but also as an integrity issue requiring serious action in line with the subsisting presidential directive on the matter and so directed the EFCC to assist in setting up a process of service-wide screening of public servants' records beginning with permanent secretaries and directors."

It was noted that the assignment might suffer some reverses, as Ribadu heads for Kuru in January where he will spend the next one year.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by ono(m): 12:38pm On Dec 30, 2007
After Nuhu Ribadu EFCC tightens noose on OBJ
• Ex-President’s case file 'full'
• Senators may void actions of past 6 months
• Soyinka condemns move
• US, Britain pressure Aso Rock for a year grace
•Sunday Awoniyi's last message to me
By CHRISTIAN ITA & MOHAMMED UMAR, Abuja
Sunday, December 30, 2007

Contrary to perception in some quarters that the removal of Nuhu Ribadu as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was aimed at securing reprieve for some ex-governors standing trial for alleged money laundering, his removal is actually to pave way for an unfettered investigation of graft charges against former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo.

Relations between President Umaru Yar’Adua and his predecessor have been anything but warm in recent weeks following Yar’Adua’s unwillingness to cover Obasanjo’s tracks.

Sunday Sun gathered that the prevailing sentiments in the Presidency is that Ribadu has been providing cover for Obasanjo despite overwhelming evidence of sleaze against the former President that should ordinarily recommend him for trial.

Less than a week ago, the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP) led by former Kaduna State governor, Alhaji Balarabe Musa stormed the office of the EFCC in Abuja to demand the probe and subsequent trial of the former President for alleged corrupt enrichment while in office.

In a petition the CNPP handed over to the Commission, it gave a catalogue of alleged economic malfeasance perpetrated by Obasanjo while in office.
CNPP, which is an umbrella organization for opposition parties, said under Obasanjo’s watch, state-owned enterprises and properties were converted into private ownership.

The former President, they contended, illegally appointed himself as the Petroleum Resources Minister contrary to the 1999 Constitution and “hence, his activities in the oil industry were shrouded in secrecy and he never rendered accounts of the oil revenue to relevant agencies like the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC).”

The body also alleged that “between 2000-2006, Nigeria lost over $130 billion unaccounted revenue”, adding, “for 8 years Obasanjo unilaterally withdrew over N1 trillion from the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the Federation Accounts.”

Other allegations of financial crime they made against Obasanjo include: Sale of refineries to his cronies as scraps, illegal sales of NITEL, Egbin (power station), underhand deals in the privatization of ALSCON, Ajaokuta Steel Rolling Mill and Hilton Hotel.

Other allegations against the former president include contract awards for Niger Delta Integrated Power Projects and Equipment of University Teaching Hospitals by presidential fiat, sales of government houses for peanuts, the acquisition of Transcorp shares while in office.

Earlier in November, another group, The Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders (CACOL) led a protest march to the EFCC office to demand a probe of Obasanjo’s wealth.
Like the CNPP, the coalition had tendered a petition wherein it gave details of its allegations against Obasanjo.

"CACOL strongly wishes to see you and the EFCC take appropriate legal action against the former president as we certainly know that the wealth of the former president was acquired through foul, deceitful and immoral means, and his management of the affairs of the Nigerian State, both administrative and financial, left room to suspect financial recklessness, aiding and abetting of corruption and other foul means that diminished the conduct of the former president as a honest, transparent and accountable person," the group stated.

Despite these weighty allegations, the thinking of the Presidency is that EFCC under Ribadu has maintained a “conspiratorial” silence and when it said anything, it was often to dismiss the allegations against Obasanjo.
Sunday Sun gathered that what irked the Presidency the most was the admission two weeks ago by the Commission that it had received a petition regarding the N3.6 billion scandal involving Obasanjo's daughter, Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, since 2006.

An Austrian firm, M. Schneides GMBH & Co had alleged in the petition to the EFCC and other anti-corruption agencies that Obasanjo-Bello was corrupt. She was accused of impersonation while serving as Health Commissioner in Ogun State two years ago.
EFCC’s admittance came after the media had blown open the scandal, a situation the Presidency is said to find objectionable, wondering if anything would have been heard about the petition if the media had not blown it open.
Ribadu’s removal, therefore, Sunday Sun gathered, was to pave way for the probe and possible trial of the former President.

EFCC formally quizzed the President’s daughter Thursday.
Incidentally, before the ordering of Ribadu to proceed for NIPSS course, a plot was said to have been initiated by a powerful lobby in the Senate to get rid of Adamawa State-born cop from the EFCC.
The development was confirmed to Sunday Sun by Senator Lawali Shuaibu.
Relying on section 2(3) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Act), the group, which Senator Lawali Shuaibu identified as made up of ex-governors, had begun questioning the legal status of Ribadu to function as the chairman of the Commission.
Section 2(3) of the Act states: “The Chairman and members of the Commission other than ex-officio members shall be appointed by the President subject to the confirmation of the Senate.”
And Section 3(1) of the same Act states: “The Chairman and members of the Commission other than ex-officio members, shall hold office for a period of four years and may be re-appointed for a further term of four years and no more.”
Ribadu was first appointed in May 2003 and by 2007, his tenure lapsed.
However, typical of Obasanjo, he announced the re-appointment of Ribadu in the twilight of his administration for a further four years without seeking and getting confirmation from the Senate as required by the Act.
Latching onto that, these senators were moving to get the Senate to declare Ribadu’s appointment as illegal.
Senator Shuaibu, who was in the Senate between 1999-2003 and headed the Committee that oversees the activities of the EFCC, said these group of ex-governors-turned senators were uncomfortable with the activities of Ribadu.
Following non-compliance with the EFCC Act in the reappointment of Ribadu by Obasanjo, there are reported moves to have the Senate declare his activities in that last six months as illegal, null and void.
Meanwhile, a report by Saharareporters, a news portal, indicates that the West, United States and Britain in particular, are unhappy with Ribadu’s removal.
Ribadu enjoys a lot of goodwill in the international circuits as he is seen as a committed official from Nigeria in the global war on money-laundering following September 11. At the moment, leading western countries like United States, Britain and France are collaborating in a global initiative against corruption tagged STAR (Stolen Asset Recovery).
Saharareporters claims the governments of the two countries are mounting pressure on Aso Rock to allow Ribadu continue for at least another year.
The pressure from these two countries is believed to be reason why the Presidency has so far kept mum on the matter.
In the same vein, Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has described as unacceptable moves to ease out Ribadu from EFCC, describing it as an assault on democracy. He identified Ribadu as a committed officer in the battle to rid the nation of corruption, wondering why Yar’Adua would succumb to pressures from powerful individuals against the anti-graft boss.

In the beginning,
The ding-dong battle for the removal of Mr. Nuhu Ribadu as EFCC Chairman finally came to a head during the week as the Inspector- General of Police (IGP), Mr. Mike Okiro, directed the EFCC boss to proceed to the elite National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPPS) for a one- year course. A move interpreted as an attempt to shoot down his rising profile.
However, to many close watchers, the 'fall' of Ribadu was not unexpected, considering that his job has for a long time been on the line for a number of reasons.

Stepping on powerful toes
Ribadu was seen, rightly or wrongly, as a puppet of the immediate past President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, who had used the machinery of the EFCC to advance Obasanjo’s cause on the political front. His opponents point to the way cop sided with the ex-President while he fought his erstwhile deputy, Alhaji Abubakar Atiku, to a standstill.
Besides courting the enmity of the former Vice-President, Ribadu was also known to have once told the BBC that ex-President Ibrahim Babangida would never succeed Obasanjo as Nigeria’s President, a stance which portrayed him as working on a hidden script known to him and Obasanjo.
At another time, it was the turn of the erstwhile Abia state governor, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, an unapologetic critic of the Obasanjo administration. For crying out loud against Obasanjo’s alleged corrupt tendencies, Kalu and his mother were randomly hounded by the anti-graft agency over alleged corruption, in spite of subsisting court injunctions. The former governor was eventually arrested and kept in Kuje Prison, before he was granted bail after fulfilling stringent conditions. His offence: being in OBJ's bad books.

Warrior extra-ordinaire
Vocal and emotional, Ribadu never shied away from any battle. He did not pick fights in his prosecution of the anti-graft battle. For instance, in his battle to cleanse the police force of graft perpetrated in the top hierarchy, he surely stepped on powerful toes. He championed the investigation of former Inspector General of Police, Tafa Balogun, from whom properties worth billions of naira were confiscated. Unconfirmed reports also had it that the present I.G also once received a shocker from the EFCC boss.
Prior to his appointment as acting IGP, sources close to Louis Edet House said Okiro had gone to the EFCC headquarters to see the crime-burster over some issues. Ribadu was said to have kept Okiro waiting for more than one hour, only to leave the office through the back door.
Nevertheless, the befuddled Okiro was said to have pursued him to his house where he tabled his case before the younger and junior police officer.

The Kuru ambush
According to insiders, Okiro had borne his humiliation and pains patiently until a couple of weeks ago when he went to President Umar Musa Yar’Adua with a request that some AIGs proceed to NIPSS. The IGP was said to have reminded the President that it would ultimately be in the interest of his administration, especially in the face of its avowed stance on due process for the officers to proceed on the high profile course given the height they had attained in the Police.
In the case of Ribadu, for instance, Okiro was said to have pointed out to the President that the EFCC chairman ought to have passed through the National War College even before his promotion to a police commissioner had due process been followed.
Furthermore, the I.G was said to have impressed it on the president that after his promotion as commissioner of police, he [EFCC chairman] needed to have gone to Kuru before being made an AIG.
Okiro reportedly further told the President that if the action was not taken, it could destabilize the entire police system and perpetuate the arbitrariness inflicted on the Force by Obasanjo. The President was said to have been convinced and gave his approval.

Stormy meeting
However, when the IGP called Ribadu to inform him of the development, the EFCC chairman was said to have fumed in anger and stormed out of the meeting, unaware that the President had already given a nod to the proposal. Now, his close friends say Ribadu has come to the painful conclusion that the EFCC job has slipped out of his hand for good.

An increasingly assertive Yar'Adua
Furthermore, presidency insiders told Sunday Sun that Yar’Adua is not "very comfortable with EFCC’s flagrant abuse of due process and rule of law under Ribadu." This time, the source said, he has mustered the political will to deal with the "embarrassment" once and for all.
Also, the President allegedly feels that the EFCC has been applying subtle blackmail against him, a development which is said to have irked him. For instance, Ribadu was said to have written to Yar’Adua seeking for permission to prosecute some past governors James Ibori and Lucky Igbinedion among others. "The president felt it was blackmail, reasoning that Ribadu did not need to first seek his permission before confronting others. The administration also shares the view that it is the anti-graft boss that is spreading the unsubstantiated insinuation that the president is shielding his powerful friends and sponsors from prosecution over alleged corruption. And he (Yar'Adua) had allowed him to get away with some of his flagrant abuse of due process and the law in order not to be perceived in that light. He couldn't continue forever under the shadow of blackmail. And when Okiro asked for permission to ask Ribadu to go on a course, he had to do what's right before the law, not minding if he would be called names."

'Not guilty’
However, Ribadu’s supporters contend that the EFCC chairman’s commitment to get the work done may have been responsible for his perception as high- handed and arrogant. They argue that it was not Ribadu’s fault that he was promoted a commissionser before he went to the War College, nor should he bear the blame for his promotion to the rank of AIG. "Nuhu is a patriotic Nigerian who wants the best for his country. He genuinely believes in the fight against corruption. He could have made mistakes but he's only human," said a close friend of his.

To go or not ot go?
Even as the proposed Kuru issue continues to generate debate in the country, there have been divergent arguments on whether Ribadu should be eased out of his job or not. Two radical lawyers hold two opposing views. While Femi Falana believes that the anti-graft Czar is being tactically eased out for stepping on powerful toes, Festus Keyamo argues against the personalisation of public office.
"It is absolutely illegal to say that Ribadu is being sent to NIPSS because he is being prepared for the position of Inspector-General of Police.," says Falana.
To Keyamo: "We can not equate the effectiveness of the fight against corruption with the presence of Nuhu Ribadu."
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Don1DeMaco: 1:54pm On Dec 30, 2007
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=99149

interesting read, captures most of the point i ve raised on this issue
Re: Ribadu Fired! by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 30, 2007
LOL

Long live Federal Republic of Yar'adua.

Don1 that guy write up too sweet men.

The first question on the mind of who go take over from Ribadu is:

How do I stay on my job: Do the right think or Do the wrong thing (i.e what they want me to do)

Ribadu lost his job for the right thing, may be I will last longer for doing the opposite wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

Congrats to mike okiro for breaking record. The first IGP wey call press conference to send officer go Kuru. May he suffer the faith of Rapheal Ige

Re: Ribadu Fired! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 30, 2007
YARADUA is IBB in the making

Hypocricy 100%
COWARDICE 100%
Deception 100%
Placing priority on friends over National Interest 100%

Him promise to declare State of Emergency on RibaduEnergy. The only policy wey recieve emergency in 2007 is operation "Remove Ribadu". Which Mike Aondoakaa fought doggedly but finished by Mike Okiro.

Welcome to Federal Republic of Yar'adua.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by onavae(m): 3:04pm On Dec 30, 2007
RIBADU'S REMOVAL; CONFIRMATION OF NAIJA'S DOOM 2 CORRUPTION.
ALWAYS SAW IT COMMING. RIBADU HAS DONE HIS BEST AND HAS ALL MY LAUDING. HE COULDNT HAVE WORKED UNDER AONDOAKAA AND YARADUA. THIS GOVT IS UNSERIOUS AND TOTALLY CORRUPT. WHEN THE RENOMINATION OF THE NAIRA WAS REJECTED BY MR PRESIDENT, I JUST KNEW WE DID NOT HAVE D RIIGHT MAN AFTERALL. I SEE CORRUPTION THRIVING UNDER THIS MAN, UNLESS SOMETHING HAPPENS AND FAST.
WE EITHER DO SOMETHING (REVOLT) OR JUST SHUT UP LIKE WE HAVE BEEN DOING AND WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS, TAKING WHATEVER COMES TO US AS "GOD'S WILL".
YOU CAN BE SURE THAT WE IN THE NIGER DELTA WILL NOT REST UNTIL IBORI AND CO ARE REDUCED TO THE NONSENSE THAT THEY ARE, REGARDLESS OF WHO GOES DOWN WITH THEM.
ONCE AGAIN, CONGRATULATIONS TO RIBADU FOR A WAR WELL FOUGHT. HE COULDNT HAVE DONE MORE. FOR US NAIJANS, TIGHTEN YOUR BELTS AND SAY HELLO TO THE RETURN OF THE DARK DAYS.
A MALLAM WILL NEVER DO WELL IN GOVERNMENT. CONFIRMED. PROFF OR NOT PROFF, YARADUA IS A MALLAM AND SHOULD BE HEARDING COWS NOT DESTROYIN NAIJA MORE THAN HIS BROTHERS HAVE ALREADY DONE.
Re: Ribadu Fired! by McKren(m): 3:10pm On Dec 30, 2007

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet / Budget Will Not Be Fully Implemented - FG / Jonathan, Okowa Take Message Of Peace To Creeks Of The Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.