Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? (814 Views)

How Do You Feel Being An Only Son/daughter? / Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? / Is Obsession Sign Of Love In A Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? by damiso(f): 10:15pm On Aug 23, 2012
Hello all been a while i posted on NL.The reason for this question was a conversation i had with an aunt in Nigeria this evening.I used to be a spendthrift(much to my hubby'sdispleasure) and after having him bail me out a couple of times i made up my mind this year to put myself a strict budget and as i read somewhere 'not buy things i dont need andcant afford to impress people i dont even like'
I save more now and try to just not be a consumer but look for ways to make my money make more money. Now when i pick up something i think do i really need this? Not that i dont treat myself once in a while.To cut my long story short this aunty does not work but hubby had a really good job.He has hit some hard times in the last couple of months as he lost his job.Me and my siblings have helped several times so far. The call really anoyyed me cos she wanted me to give her money to pay her driver. I dont even have a car to myself cos we cant afford it.I tried to explain to her that am on mat leave(just had a baby) so on a reduced income with the same or even more outgoings and all she could say was if london does not pay you wont you come home(this was said in yoruba for those who are yoruba you know how it would have sounded).

All cos my mum told her that am on a strict budget cos my mum just left and i only bought things within my budget.She gave mum this ridiculous list of things to buy for her and her kids.In the past my mum would have like 3 boxes full with loads of gifts all paid for by me.This time i said' mum no more its just plain ridiculous you came thrice last year and i keep buying gifts for everyone.I have two kids now and if i buy something for someone kids that is ok afterall its the thought that matters'.My mum thankfully backed me up but am just riled up at the cheek of it.sorry for my epistle.

Why cant people just face up to what they can afford?Is driver a must?My mother no longer has a driver as i suggested this year that she does not need it she was paying him 30k to take her to the shop park sleep and go home when she is still physically able to drive that is 360k in a year not to mention 3 shopgirls , 2housegirl and am like does your business even pay for all this its different if you cant drive or are ill.She saw my point and let the driver go.She even parks her car in another aunty house in and takes the BRT to the shop and she says she feels healthier sef cos that is the only form of exercise she gets.So my question is why do we feel being on a budget means you are poor or struggling?Cant i choose to be more savvy on how i spend MY OWN money?
Re: Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 23, 2012
I was wondering if i was the only one who thought like this.

Let not even go down the road of what people spend on weddings just to impress.

1 Like

Re: Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 24, 2012
Its a nigerian thing to spend to impress people.if u save more dey cal u ridiculous names e.g alajo shomolu,awun,ofe gbowo losorun etc.translatn- thrift collector in shomolu,stingy person,a person dat wants to take money to heaven etc
Re: Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? by ow11(m): 12:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
We love fake lives! What do you expect in a country where Obesity is seen as a good thing
Re: Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? by Geomac: 12:46pm On Aug 24, 2012
Please just keep to your budget. I am in your shoe presently and i don't care about them.
Re: Why Do WE Nigerians Feel Being Thrifty Is A Sign Of Poverty? by taryour(f): 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
I realy hope this thread makes front page cos am realy looking foward to learning from it....

(1) (Reply)

Mummy Of Many Nations / Help Needed / What Were The Things Your Parents Did Right In Raising You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.