Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,205 members, 7,815,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver (28706 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Lekki Expressway In Lagos (photos) / Victim Of Hit-And-Run Lying Critically At Ajah Roundabout, Lagos (Graphic Pics) / Download: The New Lagos Traffic Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Acelifted: 6:10pm On Aug 29, 2012
Seun: If the punishment does not fit the crime, it is not justice. 1 year jail term does not fit this crime, and that's all there is to it.
When we read about Shariaists stoning girls for getting pregnant, we are indignant, because even though it works, it's not just.
The solution to petty crimes is not to make the punishment unreasonable and wicked, but to enforce reasonable penalties consistently.

It is not yet Uhuru with this new traffic law. Very soon, people will begin to groan under the weight of the law. Don't throw such offenders to prison. Community service or a very heavy fine will serve for goodness sake! Very soon...very soon...and this law will do more damage than good if not toned down.

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by cyril83(m): 6:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
Sunbellar: If 1yr jail term is for a traffic offender, how many yrs will be for an armed robbery victims
help me ask them oooo
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by luvinhubby(m): 6:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
I definetly agree with Seun, there is no need being sentimental about JUSTice. You are sending someone to 1yr imprison for traffic violation, which is purely a civil disobedience in not only an inJUSTICE, but purely DRACONIAN.
If Lagos state wants to cure disobedient maladies by drastic laws, then they should start with the most chronic & destructive one which is corruption. But because it is the major preoccupation of our political leaders, they are passive on it. If such laws are meant to be detterents as they say, then kick-backs, financial gratifications, contract inflations and the likes should be punishable by death considering the amount of damage it does, at least to serve also as detterents & the likes of Ikuforji will be facing a charge punishable by death to discourage other looters.
This is just CRIMINALISING CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.

4 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Akiika: 6:13pm On Aug 29, 2012
First of all, 1 year jail term is just too much for the crime and what's the deal with confiscating the bullion van, did it commit crime too? You have punished the driver, release the bullion van to the owner, you can charge for keeping the car for as long as it takes for the owner to come get it.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT

Hope 2015
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
Nigerians are always quick to react with emotions,1year jail term for a civil offence?haba,we are getting it wrong,its not done,even in developed nation..its like killing a fly,with a sledge hammer.social service,or fine would be better..we are hailin fashola,cos we werent the one involved,then
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by fankasibe: 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
that man should be so proud of him self, at least he is now makes record grin grin grin
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by beamed: 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
Who will arrests military and police patrol vans driving on one way. LASTMA guys also drives on one way. I'd appreciate if the same law takes care of this.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Agiliti(m): 6:19pm On Aug 29, 2012
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by tlops(m): 6:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
one year jail term seems too much for the crime. suspend his driving license shocked. 3 month community service, reasonably heavy fine.

like someone noted, the cost of housing a person for a year is irrelevant in Nigeria since they'll packed like fish. but seriously I wish the guy the best of luck: Goodluck.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
luvinhubby: I definetly agree with Seun, there is no need being sentimental about JUSTice. You are sending someone to 1yr imprison for traffic violation, which is purely a civil disobedience in not only an inJUSTICE, but purely DRACONIAN.
If Lagos state wants to cure disobedient maladies by drastic laws, then they should start with the most chronic & destructive one which is corruption. But because it is the major preoccupation of our political leaders, they are passive on it. If such laws are meant to be detterents as they say, then kick-backs, financial gratifications, contract inflations and the likes should be punishable by death considering the amount of damage it does, at least to serve also as detterents & the likes of Ikuforji will be facing a charge punishable by death to discourage other looters.
This is just CRIMINALISING CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.

How can it be civil when it is clearly criminal? This isn't between two individuals or corporate body but between and individual and the state so it is most definitely criminal. Yes, the penalty might be extremely harsh but he could have killed someone in the process. Must we wait until someone dies before getting strict on such offences?

You would be surprised at how something you class as being civil could quickly turn criminal when someone loses his/her life and the offender would then be facing a death or life improsonment sentence.

There is no doubt that the punishment is harsh but it is possible that one year is the maximum sentence which could be doled out by the magistrate but not necessarily in this case. I think judges/magistrates have discretion in handing down sentences.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Touchforfree(m): 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
I'll take ds much publicised ''Lagos State Traffic Law'' as a law when a big catch like a 4-Star General or a Senator or highly placed personallity on d land violate d law and he or she is convicted. Kudos to BRF, Fashola is working; Lagos is moving.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by ujukala: 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
Really a scape goat
kunletiwoo: Scape Goat!

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Donmeca(m): 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
afam4eva:
I don't get you. You're comparing jungle justice to a law.

sharia law isn't jungle justice! It has rules that guard against offences but just like he said, the punishment prescribed and meted out to offenders far outweighs the offence.

This Lagos traffick carries punishments that are too heavy for the offence committed and law cannot work!
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by 2mch(m): 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Fashola is not smiling. I like this. Some people prefer to play dumb and blame the devil when they kill others. The devil is on vacation today. Comeback tomorrow.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by BodyKiss(m): 6:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
kunletiwoo: Don't you know that the offence in question can cause someone's life? Well I think the judgement is worth the crime oo.

Then he will be charged for murder.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Afam4eva(m): 6:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
Donmeca:

sharia law isn't jungle justice! It has rules that guard against offences but just like he said, the punishment prescribed and meted out to offenders far outweighs the offence.

This Lagos traffick carries punishments that are too heavy for the offence committed and law cannot work!
In a country where people behave like animals, i don't think any punishment is too heavy.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by ODB2: 6:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
am sure he was a confirmed ACN apologist
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by topatee: 6:35pm On Aug 29, 2012
Fashola is running the 2nd Leg of his tenure and as such he is not seeking re-election, so he can afford to pass any kind of law, but what legacy is Fashola trying to lay?
Typically Nigerian, everyone has praised Him for a job fairly done in Lagos, now he want to rubbish it all, just like his elder brother OBJ with his 3rd Term tenure saga
A SAN for that matter. Lets wait and see

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by malc619(m): 6:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
The bullion van driver, [size=13pt]Seun[/size] Odukoya, faces one year jail term without an option of fine
:
:
:
Seun: If the punishment does not fit the crime, it is not justice. 1 year jail term does not fit this crime, and that's all there is to it.
When we read about Shariaists stoning girls for getting pregnant, we are indignant, because even though it works, it's not just.
The solution to petty crimes is not to make the punishment unreasonable and wicked, but to enforce reasonable penalties consistently.

grin grin grin grin grin
Kirikiri beckons on ur namesake.......
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 6:39pm On Aug 29, 2012
topatee: Fashola is running the 2nd Leg of his tenure and as such he is not seeking re-election, so he can afford to pass any kind of law, but what legacy is Fashola trying to lay?
Typically Nigerian, everyone has praised Him for a job fairly done in Lagos, now he want to rubbish it all, just like his elder brother OBJ with his 3rd Term tenure saga
A SAN for that matter. Lets wait and see

With reference to the above, I would say that this is the more reason why this law is apt. He thought it through and he knows what it means to uphold the law and its application.

I pray that the next Lagos state governor would be a lawyer or at least someone who is conversant with the law and know how it should be applied.

Sanity must be brought back to Lagos. Step by step, we shall get there.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by jaybim: 6:41pm On Aug 29, 2012
Paul John: But this bankers are wicked. They're begging for the release of the Bullion van and not even the driver cry

I trip sef...
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by sammhi(m): 6:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
This law(punishment) is silly, draconian and wicked. am sure if the driver gets a good lawyer , he wil ber freed.
one day , an ambulance will be areested for one way driving . the punishment is evil
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by omigie1: 6:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
scape goat no1
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by YOUNGJOE1(m): 6:46pm On Aug 29, 2012
And Why was the road blocked in the first place. So there expected d driver to wait until d block is remove and just imagine what'll happen to d van in d next 30min.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 29, 2012
it is a message to bullion van drivers who incidentally are among the greatest culprits in all out mad driving.

they all seem to think they are above the law, you should see them on lagos roads, they put on the siren, then start swerving right and left back and forth in a mad bid to oppress everyone else.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by nateevs(m): 6:50pm On Aug 29, 2012

Pick a car and come down here to London, drive against traffic on the M25 and see if you won't face at least 6 months in jail.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by elimokhai(m): 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2012
Billyonaire: I love the new traffic law, but 1 year is too much for that offense. By the way, someone please help me tell PHCN to take light for my estate. Too much of everything is a disease.

spoke person committee of 40 laptop men, so you're still enjoying electricity even with the sack of barth nnaji? and I bet you see nothing wrong with the sack. sycophant
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by charlsecy4(m): 6:57pm On Aug 29, 2012
Paul John: But this bankers are wicked. They're begging for the release of the Bullion van and not even the driver cry

You can't say. The bullion van has no will of its own, and was driven by a man who knows the law. It is the driver that should be punished, not the van, and the bankers are aware of this.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by gunuvi(m): 7:01pm On Aug 29, 2012
Sorry, please are we in afghanistan?? When u compare the offence with the punishment, what's the difference with Afghan militants punishments for offenders...as if Fashola families and his cronies would be arrested if they violate the law and if mistakenly arrested, will such ever get to the media. You and I know how it works in our beloved Naija
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by olillywales(m): 7:06pm On Aug 29, 2012
Good for him
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Ijebulogic(m): 7:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
kensandrea: [size=15pt]RUBBISH FASHOLA WITH IS RUBBISH POLICY IF IT WAS A RICH AND WEALTHY MAN OR A POLITICIAN NA SORRY SIR WE GO DEY HEAR BECAUSE NA POOR DRIVER DATS Y WE DEY HERE THE CRIME STORY [/size]

Really

[img][/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Appeal Court Upturns Lagos Court Decision On Number Plates / See The Hidden Meaning Behind These 10 Famous Car Logos / Abia State Government Procures Innoson Vehicles For Security Operations(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.