Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,653 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver (28711 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Lekki Expressway In Lagos (photos) / Victim Of Hit-And-Run Lying Critically At Ajah Roundabout, Lagos (Graphic Pics) / Download: The New Lagos Traffic Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by kjhova(m): 7:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
Desola:

How can it be civil when it is clearly criminal? This isn't between two individuals or corporate body but between and individual and the state so it is most definitely criminal. Yes, the penalty might be extremely harsh but he could have killed someone in the process. Must we wait until someone dies before getting strict on such offences?

Hey @Desola,
States should purnish offenders for the offences actually committed and not the ones they could have committed. That is not justice, that will be brigandage! Moreso, the accused is a first offender and possibly has no criminal record. In sane societies, such people, especially in a civil case like this, are charged with misdemeanor and not criminal breakage. Aren't our prisons overcrowded already? This is our sincere argument.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by RICHIEBOI1(m): 7:13pm On Aug 29, 2012
Photo of the Impounded Bullion van.

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by AMADU77: 7:14pm On Aug 29, 2012
i dont interfere politics or any related subject but i think its not fair to jail sm1 just like this, we know the level of traffic people and the level and the wisdom tht those people have that become angry and take everything on personal level,
a nigerian driver ,,, yes can be drunk, or angry, or whatever, but after all hes their in d street bcs his family needs this soso naira a day, now whos gonna feed his family for a year ? his exelency ?

and after year in jail, and we all know the situation of jails in our country, hes going out more criminal and with more hatress on all the system

i think the law and humanitarian people should work on human rights level, lets see what they do in civilised country maybe it can be a better solution
driving against the traffic ? r u serious ? what of small roads that the signs r confusing ?

and for any1 whos gonna defend this policy , 1 question ? r they able to do this law on every1 ? or only poor small people like drivers ? what of if a big oga did it ?

if i had a vote in this matter, im nay
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by dasparrow: 7:15pm On Aug 29, 2012
@Post

But why would any sane person drive against traffic? Does the bullion van driver realize that he can get himself and others killed by doing so? As Nigerians we keep blaming our leaders for all the problems in Nigeria but I am beginning to realize that many of the problems we face are as a direct result of our own doing as a people. In advanced societies, you could get your driver's license seized or suspended for driving against traffic. It is a very dangerous thing to do. Even if the road is blocked, is there no other road he the driver could have taken? I don't know why some people act like they are in the jungle and have yet to come in contact with civilization.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by casestudy: 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
oh!! Seun Odukoya the driver don become piece of grilled meat oo! He's simply a pawn in d hands of d players! Too bad!!! But come to think of it, if this law were to have its way and instil d discipline and fear needed in lagosians, omo lagos no go sweet again oo?? I dey tell you! Cos d hustle n bustle and d gra-gra wey we take sabi Eko will just be gone with d wind
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Gonzaga1010(m): 7:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Lagos really mean it dis time
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by babestella: 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
The bank should contest the case up to supreme court. 1 yr is too much for a traffic offense, let's be realistic and reasonable here. However, bank bullion van should allowed to run one way if there is heavy traffic the same way other informed personnel run one way even in Lagos.. Nigeria is a country where robbers can rob for hours and no police will show up. If the driver had stayed in the traffic and get robbed, he will sure be facing charges of conspiracy, robbery and stealing now.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by tucker12(m): 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
Test of time.... Lets keep watching lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by ZUBY77(m): 7:55pm On Aug 29, 2012
If this is upto me, i will jail half of the drivers in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by noholdsbarred(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2012
Outrageous law
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by gunuvi(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2012
@dasparrow, sorry o. Drive to Badagry and you will become an insane man as you mentioned as you will drive against traffic 5 times after Agbara cos the roans there has gave in like 6 diff places. Maybe you are not in Lagos
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 29, 2012
While corrupt politicians continue to walk free or get "slap-of-the-wrists" as convictions, an ordinary traffic offender will be sent to prison for a whole year. The same overcrowded prisons that currently house kidnappers, armed robbers, rapists and murderers will also accommodate traffic offenders for a whole year, leaving them worse off when they get released (that's assuming they manage to survive) and without any hope of getting good employment or a shot at life.

What a country.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by omoeso(m): 8:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
Well, for those complaining about the punishment being too harsh in respect to d offence committed, driving against the traffic is actually attempted murder. What most ppl don't know is dat by so doing, u can actually kill any unsuspecting pedestrian. One year jail term is even too small. For heaven sake, why should a sane person drive against d traffic. Its barbaric. Simple. For those ou you complaining, wen next u find yourself in Europe or the States for holiday, try renting a car and drive against d traffic and come here to tell us ur beautiful experience!

3 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by oladapoa1(m): 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2012
cyril83: Very soon this may lead to a serious war in lagos,d punishment is too harsh chei wtf...its nt like diz in developed countries
friend u're funny...though its nt like that in advanced country, but surprisingly its the same cos it ll take you a year to work and realise the fees charged there(abroad) in Nigeria
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by rule(m): 8:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
I wish the law makers in delta state house could emulate the trend in lagos sate,they are just there watching dstv.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by rule(m): 8:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
I wish the law makers in delta state house of assembly could emulate the trend in lagos state,they are just there watching dstv.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 8:20pm On Aug 29, 2012
kj_hova:

Hey @Desola,
States should purnish offenders for the offences actually committed and not the ones they could have committed. That is not justice, that will be brigandage! Moreso, the accused is a first offender and possibly has no criminal record. In sane societies, such people, especially in a civil case like this, are charged with misdemeanor and not criminal breakage. Aren't our prisons overcrowded already? This is our sincere argument.

I reiterate - this is NOT a civil case. How exactly is a civil case defined i n Nigeria for goodness sake. Civil cases do not seek to punish but to provide restitution and award damages. This is a clear criminal case for crying out loud. There is a law which has been set out that whosoever breaks it would be tried and punished accordingly.

Yes, I do agree that the punishment is heavy handed for a first time offender and I believe that his counsel should be able to plead for leniency which I doubt less that the magistrate would turn a a deaf ear to. This case is setting precedent and the offender is being made as an example here and to serve as a deterrent to other future offenders. I sincerely think he would come out with a lighter sentence if he gets a good counsel to plead his case before the magistrate.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by olivertwist: 8:20pm On Aug 29, 2012
Seun: If the punishment does not fit the crime, it is not justice. 1 year jail term does not fit this crime, and that's all there is to it.
When we read about Shariaists stoning girls for getting pregnant, we are indignant, because even though it works, it's not just.
The solution to petty crimes is not to make the punishment unreasonable and wicked, but to enforce reasonable penalties consistently.

BIG SHAME on you for saying these cra.p. undecided So based on your own thinking, the LSG should wait for him to kill innocent people before they act. I want to believe that you've stepped out of Nigeria before. Can you drive towards upcoming vehicles because you are in a hurry in London or New York? Even if you are the Mayor of the city you dare not! But because it's Lagos, anything 'goes'. BIG SHAME on you.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
You know, I am so pissed by the way our leaders think sometimes. For the love of God, why send a traffic offender to prison? The same prison that contain hardened criminals? Is there even space available in those prisons? Have they considered the impact of the stigma that he'll suffer for the rest of his life by reason of being an ex-convict? So you wanna ruin a person's life simply because he drove against traffic? Do they think an ex-convict has any shot at a real life in this country?

Whatever happened to good old community service? What about 24 hours cleaning the streets with the street sweepers? What about joining LAWMA to dispose refuse? What about simply paying a fine that would be commensurate with the person's perceived net worth? Why must it be imprisonment?

THIS LAW IS DRACONIAN!!!

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by UyiIredia(m): 8:25pm On Aug 29, 2012
The law is too harsh. It needs to be reviewed.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 29, 2012
Does this law apply to [b]Fire-fighters, Mopol responding to armed robbery distress calls, ambulances [/b]and all? I really need an answer o cos its these group of people that are most likely to endanger people's lives when they speed recklessly through one way roads
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 8:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
HNosegbe: You know, I am so pissed by the way our leaders think sometimes. For the love of God, why send a traffic offender to prison? The same prison that contain hardened criminals? Is there even space available in those prisons? Have they considered the impact of the stigma that he'll suffer for the rest of his life by reason of being an ex-convict? So you wanna ruin a person's life simply because he drove against traffic? Do they think an ex-convict has any shot at a real life in this country?

Whatever happened to good old community service? What about 24 hours cleaning the streets with the street sweepers? What about joining LAWMA to dispose refuse? What about simply paying a fine that would be commensurate with the person's perceived net worth? Why must it be imprisonment? Are these people thinking at all?

THIS LAW IS DRACONIAN!!!

Don't be silly! That is such a lame excuse for not punishing an offender - "is there even space availale in those prisons" what an argument!

I wonder if you would be so concerned about the stupid stigma if he had hit you - an innocent pedestrian. What irrational mentality! The same law that is seeking to protect you and your rights as a pedestran or road user is the same one you're kicking against. I just don't understand Naija people.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 8:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
Adrenaline: Does this law apply to [b]Fire-fighters, Mopol responding to armed robbery distress calls, ambulances [/b]and all? I really need an answer o cos its these group of people that are most likely to endanger people's lives when they speed recklessly through one way roads

It would not apply to the state emergency services and some private hospital ambulances, I suppose. It shouldn't.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
And for those talking about a driver killing someone because he's driving against traffic, there's a name for it: MANSLAUGHTER, and it carries its own prison term.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 29, 2012
Desola:

It would not apply to the state emergency services and some private hospital ambulances, I suppose. It shouldn't.

cmon madame, don't guess
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by proudlyafrican(m): 8:33pm On Aug 29, 2012
Billyonaire: I love the new traffic law, but 1 year is too much for that offense. By the way, someone please help me tell PHCN to take light for my estate. Too much of everything is a disease.

Bro on a serious note i am taking 2 hours time off from work tomorrow to see the PHCN marketer/District Director of my area,electricity supply in my area is appalling and laughable when it is all over the news of an increase in this mega watt and that mega watt.We have not had light for 3 days now and when it eventually comes it will stay for just 2 hours.I hope they give me some satisfying explanation because i am to see the President on Friday.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by olivertwist: 8:40pm On Aug 29, 2012
If Lagos State Govt says NO to reckless driving towards oncoming vehicles, then it's NO. If you don't like it, then go to your village or better still Zamfara where you won't have to go to jail. All you need to sacrifice is one of your arms.

For your information, after the first offence, it's [b]three years jail [/b]without fine...

Welldone Fashola...we'll get there... cool cool cool
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Dubemkelly(m): 8:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
Billyonaire: I love the new traffic law, but 1 year is too much for that offense. By the way, someone please help me tell PHCN to take light for my estate. Too much of everything is a disease.
U r just kidding man...Nigerians!!!
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Reference(m): 8:46pm On Aug 29, 2012
Desola:

That's it. Once you start making exceptions, the next thing you'll hear is government issuing permits for this and that and then money bags latch on and the whole thing caves in. 1983 import waiver scandal all over again. Just make laws you can live with no matter the cost.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Dubemkelly(m): 8:50pm On Aug 29, 2012
In every new law,there must be a victim,this man really ran out of luck nd wit his case evry oda person cud do hw serz Lag govt z wt sch laws...We r alwas in a hurry n we dnt get tinz right rather we incur damages...Once his offence measures wt d penalty sanctioned,he's defintely gonna face d musik,once bitten,twice shy goes a saying...Arise Lagosian! Arise Nigerians!!
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 8:52pm On Aug 29, 2012
Reference:

That's it. Once you start making exceptions, the next thing you'll hear is government issuing permits for this and that and then money bags latch on and the whole thing caves in. 1983 import waiver scandal all over again. Just make laws you can live with no matter the cost.

I wasn't saying that emergency services are allowed to drive facing oncoming traffic, though. What I meant was that lanes such as the BRT and speed limits and sirens would be available to emergency services and rightly so.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Redstone(m): 8:58pm On Aug 29, 2012
Desola:

I should think that state of emergency should apply to a bullion van. It does not need to stay in heavy traffic. It could even pose a danger to other road users should there be an attack by armed robbers on a busy day in Lagos. I don't see why a bullion van carrying over 100 million should stay in traffic waiting for it to be attacked.

The kind of traffic you see in Lagos is usually hopeless. Once you get into it, you lose all hope of getting out of it even in the next 2 or 3 hours. So please guys don't compare NY or London traffic with Lagos traffic which occasionally is caused by very terrible roads.

It think more effort should be put into fixing the roads, and in my opinion people will not run one way.

That brings to mind my question, what is the mindset of a one way driver.??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Appeal Court Upturns Lagos Court Decision On Number Plates / See The Hidden Meaning Behind These 10 Famous Car Logos / Abia State Government Procures Innoson Vehicles For Security Operations(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.