Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,693 members, 7,831,146 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver (28733 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Lekki Expressway In Lagos (photos) / Victim Of Hit-And-Run Lying Critically At Ajah Roundabout, Lagos (Graphic Pics) / Download: The New Lagos Traffic Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by lordhugo(m): 8:58pm On Aug 29, 2012
chucky234: Jail term is too stiff a punishment for a crime of this nature,monetary fine would have be ok.
Anyway nice one by Fash.
u r just confused!!!! tongue
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Redstone(m): 9:01pm On Aug 29, 2012
Driving beside a bullion van in heavy grid lock traffic could put your life in danger in event of robbery. I don't want to imagine the trauma.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 29, 2012
Redstone:

I should think that state of emergency should apply to a bullion van. It does not need to stay in heavy traffic. It could even pose a danger to other road users should there be an attack by armed robbers on a busy day in Lagos. I don't see why a bullion van carrying over 100 million should stay in traffic waiting for it to be attacked.

The kind of traffic you see in Lagos is usually hopeless. Once you get into it, you lose all hope of getting out of it even in the next 2 or 3 hours. So please guys don't compare NY or London traffic with Lagos traffic which occasionally is caused by very terrible roads.

It think more effort should be put into fixing the roads, and in my opinion people will not run one way.

That brings to mind my question, what is the mindset of a one way driver.??

I didnt want to have to be the one to say this but I'm glad someone is thinking right. This govt always putting the cart before the horse. IMHO they have no business arresting a bullion van with all the insecurity and useless road networks in the state. Next thing you'll hear is that an ambulance driver has been arrested as well.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 29, 2012
Madam Desola,

You keep harping on the risk of a one-way driver killing a passenger, and I reiterate that its already covered in our laws, and its called MANSLAUGHTER.

And for those of you comparing Nigeria to advanced countries, you will do well to note that those countries have "correctional facilities" in the true sense of the word. You will also do well to ask yourselves whether the purpose of imprisoning an individual is simply to punish or to rehabilitate.

I repeat: The law is draconian.

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 29, 2012
^^^Word!
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 9:15pm On Aug 29, 2012
HNosegbe: Madam Desola,

You keep harping on the risk of a one-way driver killing a passenger, and I reiterate that its already covered in our laws, and its called MANSLAUGHTER.

And for those of you comparing Nigeria to advanced countries, you will do well to note that those countries have "correctional facilities" in the true sense of the word. You will also do well to ask yourselves whether the purpose of imprisoning an individual is simply to punish or to rehabilitate.

I repeat: The law is draconian.

I think you're confused.

The risk cannot be manslaughter, the charge would be, in the eventual death of the victim. The risk would be endangering the lives of pedestrians.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by mkoabiola: 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
I don't knw y ppu are applauding fashola for ds wicked amd punitive laws.this is to harsh,even criminal get bail.
D driver is not a criminal for God sake,no matter wat it shud b a bailable offence.
Imagine wen d public looters loot d treasury,dey get bail not to talk of a traffic offender,
Who knws d next?condem ds law rather dan commend .

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Desola(f): 9:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
mko abiola: I don't knw y ppu are applauding fashola for ds wicked amd punitive laws.this is to harsh,even criminal get bail.
D driver is not a criminal for God sake,no matter wat it shud b a bailable offence.
Imagine wen d public looters loot d treasury,dey get bail not to talk of a traffic offender,
Who knws d next?condem ds law rather dan commend .

Did he break the law? Yes!

What is such a person called? - An offender.

Is the offence committed found in the criminal code? - Yes

What is manner of offence does that make it? - Criminal

The offender is therefore called: A criminal.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by abbeymighty(m): 9:23pm On Aug 29, 2012
Pls hw about d agbero(NURTW)? They are still operating on the ròad, especìaly d okada tout and local govt tout
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by dammytosh: 9:28pm On Aug 29, 2012
So the guy should carry the cash inside traffic and when armed robbers open fire and attack the van, we record more casualties than we want to.

Heard Farouq just came back from Saudi Arabia. I guess the driver will teach his children to steal plenty money to be immuned against the law for the poor masses.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Seun(m): 9:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
Super1759: oga seun, we I agree to your post, but am bashing it out with someone and I am banned for days or my post hidden, will the punishment stiLl fit the crime undecided

If you abuse your posting privileges, and those privileges are taken away, that seems perfectly fair. If you are still allowed to visit the site and enjoy it, I think you have no reason to complain. That's equivalent to seizing the driving license of an unrepentant traffic offender.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by tolahood9(m): 9:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
good start? Is it because he is not your father? undecided
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by olivertwist: 9:38pm On Aug 29, 2012
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 29, 2012
Madam Desola, even in my confused state of mind (as you aver) I can still consider the pros and cons of every piece of legislation. Yes there is a risk of killing a bystander, but the question is: Is a jail term the most effective means of addressing that risk? The answer is a big NO.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by speaktoinzaghi(m): 9:57pm On Aug 29, 2012
On point brov....the punishment is meaningless and unjust compared to the offence, Fashola needs to re- address the penalties of the Traffic Laws

Seun: If the punishment does not fit the crime, it is not justice. 1 year jail term does not fit this crime, and that's all there is to it.
When we read about Shariaists stoning girls for getting pregnant, we are indignant, because even though it works, it's not just.
The solution to petty crimes is not to make the punishment unreasonable and wicked, but to enforce reasonable penalties consistently.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by lomaxbien(m): 9:58pm On Aug 29, 2012
for the very best car deals
click on this link
http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=141199405921396
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by acume: 10:06pm On Aug 29, 2012
kj_hova: 1 year jail term for a civic offence in Lagos State in the same Federation where Tafa Balogun & Mrs. Ibru bagged 6 months for criminal offences?! Something is sure wrong with this.

This law will not hold ground if contested up to the Supreme court. Oh how I miss Gani
this punishment is to harsh and should be corrected with an option of fine if fash wants to excel too much of everytin is bad, he should remember that the said court is not the highest court in Nija, but all the same we nid some level of discipline
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Revolva(m): 10:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
Haha creek road apapa I was aroind there sha no wonder I saw some arguement - with a bullion van and this lagos state road people - the guy go dey dance scape goat for cell
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by erico2k2(m): 10:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
YOU GUYS NOW HAVE A GOAT FOR A GOVERNOR
So all of you are agreeing with the fact that the Driver should hold up and wait for traffic to clear in LAGOS full of rouges is someone MAD or something.The Bullion Van has MONEY in it and its not meant to stand for more than 1 minute,it should be allowed to drive against traffic with a warning siren to alert oncoming traffic, SOON an AMBULANCE DRIVER will soon be arrested for driving one way then you guys will agree now that YOU GOT A GOAT IN POWER, rubbish angry angry angry
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by babestella: 10:24pm On Aug 29, 2012
I believe when the roads are fixed and good, there will be free traffic flow and people will not have to run one way, even when there is hold up, it wouldn't be a hopeless situation where you are not even sure of getting out of the traffic.

Apart from the over rated purnishment for traffic offenders which should be reviewed, I still reiterate the fact that having bullion vans trapped in traffic poses a lot of danger to the public and other road users. We all know the sorry state of security in Nigeria.

All these should be properly considered and necessary amendments made to the law.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by constantk: 10:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
Let me put this very succintly, there is so much deception in this country. Few months ago we heard that lASG in conjuction with FG cleared all tankers and trailers at Apapa. As at now these trailers and tankers are back on the road meaning business as usual. I was there on that fateful day, the road towards Wharf from Creek Road was blocked and the LASTMA official were only hanging around extorting the tanker drivers. Those arrested include a top guy in a Newspaper company, a tankEr driver and the bullion van impounded. The newspaper guy was promptly released when he called his chairman who happen to be close to the corridor of power, the tanker driver was also released after he greased their palms. ApApa is usually blocked in the evening and the stupid taskforce should clear the road instead of impounding vans/cars
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by vanitty: 10:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
And their lies the problems plaguing Nigeria, "we" never seem to get the balance right. A land where stealing milk and milo carry the death sentence but billions of stolen naira in a swiss bank earns you the title "chief" and honourable.

A year for a first time traffic offender that lead to no casualties, what is needed is justice and correction not this so-called stiff punishment. By all means, seize his licence, fine him heavily but don't ruin his life.

Fast-forward a year from now, man out of jail, sure he might never break Fashola's rule ever again but he now has a criminal record, no one willing to employ him etc, is there not a chance that this man becomes a menace to the society . . . a very dangerous path this our favourite Governor is trending.More outrageous law to follow.

I just hope a prominent politician figure falls foul of this new traffic law and then we will see just how determined and patriotic this our favourite Governor is.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by olivertwist: 10:54pm On Aug 29, 2012
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by VEE2010(m): 10:55pm On Aug 29, 2012
I have a dream of a new Lagos where Police Armoured van, pick up and the likes would be impounded for flouting traffic laws. Those guys are bad influence to other motorist.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Gospelgirl(f): 10:59pm On Aug 29, 2012
Just wondering where the offender will serve the jail term, is it going to be same as where armed robbers, kidnappers and ritualist are or where?

Just my thought.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Dee60: 11:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
They wont catch the thousands of Okada drivers that are breaking the law daily without remorse. Lets us hope that the content of the bullion will not vanish before tomorrow! Their next catch will be a trailer carrying full load of Rice or one carrying goats for pepper soup!
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by Dee60: 11:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
THE LAW IS DRACONIAN. TOO DRACONIAN! LAGOS IS THE ONLY PLACE IN THE WORLD WHERE A PERSON IS THREATENED WITH A JAIL TERM FOR A TRAFFIC OFFENCE. Governor Fashola, with all due respect, is a lawyer and should know better. I am actually disappointed at his several draconian moves in the recent! Punish offenders, but not with jail term, in a country where cases of 'awaiting trial' has kept many in custody for 10+ years. Do we need more of that?

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by henrysam(m): 11:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
Exponental: wahala waa oooo. the poor driver drove against traffic to avoid being robbed and he paying 4 huge amt of money.
preventing bank wahala, jump into govt wahala.
why not arrest the money n leave d driver.
This is not possible. Have u not heard of the fact that banks monies are much more insured than those who watches over them. The driver suppose to know this. In the first instance. Knowledge is about knowing what is operating within your area. I pity him
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by malc619(m): 11:56pm On Aug 29, 2012
A law was made....

There was sufficient publicity....

Yet an animal driving a bullion van decides to break the law with impunity...

His action put the life of both motorists ‎​Άnd pedestrians at risk...

While I think the penalty is a bit too harsh, I have no sympathy for the driver. He deserves whatever comes out of this...

P.S. Like someone pointed out, his attorney will plead for leniency ‎​Άnd I'm sure he'll get a lighter penalty.
Even at that, a fine precedent would have been set for other would-be defaulters...

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by pipiko: 12:00am On Aug 30, 2012
that guy knew why he took that route. The fear of attackers is the beginning of wisdom. I no too blame the guy jare
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by davidif: 12:06am On Aug 30, 2012
Come on, i know that the reason for this sentence is to ban future deterrents but the question we should always ask ourselves is does the punishment fit the crime? If the answer is no then this is unjust. There needs to be a balance between punishment for a crime and deterring future crimes like this happening often.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Catches First-Victim - Bullion Van Driver by malc619(m): 12:07am On Aug 30, 2012
Dee60: THE LAW IS DRACONIAN. TOO DRACONIAN! LAGOS IS THE ONLY PLACE IN THE WORLD WHERE A PERSON IS THREATENED WITH A JAIL TERM FOR A TRAFFIC OFFENCE. Governor Fashola, with all due respect, is a lawyer and should know better. I am actually disappointed at his several draconian moves in the recent! Punish offenders, but not with jail term, in a country where cases of 'awaiting trial' has kept many in custody for 10+ years. Do we need more of that?

I wonder Ɣ many of these fools on NL fail to blame the driver for breaking a simple ‎​Άnd reasonable law??

Only a manslayer ‎​Άnd one with criminal intent will put the life of other road users at risk because he is in a hurry....

Many people have been killed ‎​Άnd maimed by reckless drivers like SEUN(not Oga NL oo)..

Let's speak up against disregard for the law of the land ‎​Άnd common sense..

He did the crime....
He'll do the "time"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Appeal Court Upturns Lagos Court Decision On Number Plates / Abia State Government Procures Innoson Vehicles For Security Operations(photos) / See The Hidden Meaning Behind These 10 Famous Car Logos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.