Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked (14892 Views)

Dana Air’s Operators Certificate Revoked / Why Lufthansa, Aviation Ministry Mou Was Revoked – FG / London Metropolitan University's Visa Licence Is Revoked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by abiki(f): 2:35pm On Aug 30, 2012
jammyng: And Australia is taking advantage cheesy

Well, It's very expensive to study in Australia too, but they've got some nice schools.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by ochukoccna: 2:36pm On Aug 30, 2012
Immigration Minister Damian Green said London Metropolitan University had failed in three particular areas:
More than a quarter of the 101 students sampled were studying at the university when they had no leave to remain in this country
Some 20 of 50 checked files found "no proper evidence" that the students' mandatory English levels had been reached
And some 142 of 250 (57%) sampled records had attendance monitoring issues which meant it was impossible for the university to know whether students were turning up for classes or not.

Above are the reasons given for UKBA's action
It seems to be more of an immigration problem not that of academic standards
Though like someone said, UKBA's action should have been 1 of last resort especially now that foreign students just go ver there to study and there's no added benefits unlike before the Tories came back to power

Even at that why go to a 'crappy' school like London Met embarassed embarassed embarassed
Beats me hollow
Going by ratings like the complete university's guide http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings or Britain's the Guardian newspaper http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013, London Met is way way DOWN
Why shell out millions only to get oyinbo tutorial classes not worth &a piece of paper not worth its weight? undecided undecided undecided
Why not add some 'little' thousands and aim at better rated unis on the list?
The days of educational immigration to the UK is over
The sooner peeps realize this, the better
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 30, 2012
frosbel:

As afam4eva rightly said , this is only applicable to 'mushroom' universities in London and a few others across the country.

For many of the good universities , the entry criteria for both local and international students is strictly high and very tight. Only the best are offered admissions.

Its all a screening process that they had to do because the number of applicants far outweigh the spaces available. if the applicants dont far outweigh the spaces available they will be like the rest of the 90 percent of universities in england were they practically beg you to come study. trust me i know. i have appled for courses even on the last day of admission and they have enrolled me in less than a week without asking if i had any kind of education in my life. this was UCLAN. basically i was just enrolling to get their student loans back when i was a runs man grin
and those prestigious universities are all crap in terms of academia. all they are living on is names. their professors are dullards.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 30, 2012
justwise:
This is not about being intelligent, its about meeting some basic requirement i.e be able to speak and understand English language because lectures are delivered in English language and not sign language.

they dont care if you can speak english. you have to understand that england is a country with no resources. their resource is 'education'. this is how they make some of their money. so it does not matter to them if you can speak a lick of english so long as you can pay.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by queensmith: 2:42pm On Aug 30, 2012
Erelu_Y:
Personally speaking, no matter what, I wouldn't recommend ex-polytechnics e.g. Westminster, Middlesex, LMU, MMU, Plymouth, West London, UWE, UWS, etc., as destinations for higher education in the UK. What Nigerians aspiring to study in the UK need to do is constantly check the league tables (and there are many of them e.g. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings; http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013) to ascertain that the university they are intending to enrol at are highly ranked. In other words, Nigerians should do thorough research about studying abroad before taking the plunge![/color]

Given the choice i'd agree but- studying at the metropolitan is still better than studying at the best university in Nigeria, I can imagine most studying there are doing viable courses that will lead them into suitable employment in the future. You will be better off studying a clinical life sciences degree at the London met than you will at Imperial College For example. All the universities have their levels of strength I can imagine the mets will lie in the level of investment, and the fact most of its degrees are accredited. Something a top 4 uni will not even bother about.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2012
obadiah777: they dont care if you can speak english. you have to understand that england is a country with no resources. their resource is 'education'. this is how they make some of their money. so it does not matter to them if you can speak a lick of english so long as you can pay.

I graduated from UI many years ago and came to the UK for an MSc Postgraduate Course in a not so great university.

But I tell you something , their educational standard was millions of miles ahead of what the best University in Nigeria can offer.

For one they had more qualified and dedicated teachers, resources and equipment. Besides the environment was very clean , well structured and friendly.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by justwise(m): 2:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
obadiah777: they dont care if you can speak english. you have to understand that england is a country with no resources. their resource is 'education'. this is how they make some of their money. so it does not matter to them if you can speak a lick of english so long as you can pay.

The students themselves have the share of the blame as well, why pay so much in fees and refused to turn up for lectures? How can anybody cope with lectures and assignments if you can't speak or write proper English language?
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by violent(m): 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2012
This is a big lesson. If your University gets advertised on the tube, facebook, London buses, Metro, Evening Standard, Nairaland...etc It may be an early warning that your fate may not be too far from those of students at LMU.

That asides, i get a strong feeling that students who have the money can institute a sort of class action law suit against the University. For breach of contract, breach of trust, loss of income, Emotional Distress, Fraud, Conspiracy to commit fraud, Expenses etc etc....something may give!

1 Like

Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by wowo2: 2:51pm On Aug 30, 2012
2600 students sent out of a school because they are foreigners and 25 of a sample of 101 foreign students had a stay or english skills which are questionable?

UK must be the No 1 3rd world country in the world!
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by justwise(m): 2:54pm On Aug 30, 2012
wowo2: 2600 students sent out of a school because they are foreigners and 25 of a sample of 101 foreign students had a stay or english skills which are questionable?

Where did you get that from?
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by queensmith: 2:55pm On Aug 30, 2012
wowo2: 2600 students sent out of a school because they are foreigners and 25 of a sample of 101 foreign students had a stay or english skills which are questionable?

WORD!!
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 30, 2012
frosbel:

I graduated from UI many years ago and came to the UK for an MSc Postgraduate Course in a not so great university.

But I tell you something , their educational standard was millions of miles ahead of what the best University in Nigeria can offer.

For one they had more qualified and dedicated teachers, resources and equipment. Besides the environment was very clean , well structured and friendly.

well i have studied in america england and nigeria and i can honestly say that the education i got in nigeria is better followed by the one in america. the one in the UK is shytttt.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 30, 2012
justwise:

The students themselves have the share of the blame as well, why pay so much in fees and refused to turn up for lectures? How can anybody cope with lectures and assignments if you can't speak or write proper English language?

maybe they just want to be in england ? put it like this, i know many saudi arabian boys. they come to england.pay for school and then dont turn up. and party in england for 4 years. then when it is time to return home they make fake certificates ( a nigerian guy i know used to be the one making the fake certificates for them )and they take the fake certificates to saudi and get the best jobs after playing in england for 4 years. LOL. thats life. we are all pretending to occupy ourselves with mundane and irrelevant things that make us feel important when we are on earth such as degrees, which in actuality are all worthless time wsting ventures on earth. some people, like the saudis, have realized that, and decide to play for 4 years and get fake certificates and return home to get good jobs LOL
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Segzy23: 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2012
obadiah777: well i have studied in america england and nigeria and i can honestly say that the education i got in nigeria is better followed by the one in america. the one in the UK is shytttt.

You must be deceiving yourself. If you are 100% right about that, why would people from abroad be paying millions of Naira or foreign currencies to come and study in the UK? Either they are all foolish or being deceived, or either you are blatently deceiving yourself. I like to believe the latter is right
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 30, 2012
Segzy23:

You must be deceiving yourself. If you are 100% right about that, why would people from abroad be paying millions of Naira or foreign currencies to come and study in the UK? Either they are all foolish or being deceived, or either you are blatently deceiving yourself. I like to believe the later is right
Same reason those same people would respect and employ a white man over a black man even in a black country. INFERIORITY COMPLEX.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by queensmith: 3:13pm On Aug 30, 2012
in my 3 years at university i can count the number of times i went to lectures- abeg nfaism is no crime, we dont all enjoy the babble. esp when we can just download the podcast and listen to it during our sleep grin grin grin
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by justwise(m): 3:13pm On Aug 30, 2012
obadiah777: maybe they just want to be in england ? put it like this, i know many saudi arabian boys. they come to england.pay for school and then dont turn up. and party in england for 4 years. then when it is time to return home they make fake certificates ( a nigerian guy i know used to be the one making the fake certificates for them )and they take the fake certificates to saudi and get the best jobs after playing in england for 4 years. LOL. thats life. we are all pretending to occupy ourselves with mundane and irrelevant things that make us feel important when we are on earth such as degrees, which in actuality are all worthless time wsting ventures on earth. some people, like the saudis, have realized that, and decide to play for 4 years and get fake certificates and return home to get good jobs LOL

That does not make any sense to me, you can party and study at the same time, you can have active social life even as a full time student. Its completely nonsense for me to pay at least £9000 every yr for about 4yrs on fees and go home with fake certificate. Does it make any economic sense? Somebody who studied,partied and graduate with genuine certificate can still go home and get a better job. So what is the point?

1 Like

Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by violent(m): 3:14pm On Aug 30, 2012
Segzy23:

You must be deceiving yourself. If you are 100% right about that, why would people from abroad be paying millions of Naira or foreign currencies to come and study in the UK? Either they are all foolish or being deceived, or either you are blatently deceiving yourself. I like to believe the later is right

So you actually don't believe majority are foolish and are being deceived by clever marketing materials?

I think you may be the one deceiving yourself.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by HiiiPower(m): 3:16pm On Aug 30, 2012
If you think these kids would be deported,
then you need to have your head examined.
Most of the universities in the UK are
rubbish. Most graduates (both home and international students)
from these universities can't even write
an essay to save their lives. Don't even expect most of them
to say anything reasonable, most of them are just dumb and they have
first and second class degrees.

UK universities thrive on international students,
they won't deport them.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 30, 2012
obadiah777: well i have studied in america england and nigeria and i can honestly say that the education i got in nigeria is better followed by the one in america. the one in the UK is shytttt.

Maybe you studied at the London Metropolitan University grin
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by PeeDaVinci: 3:19pm On Aug 30, 2012
justwise:

typically, the students make part payments of their school fees in order to get their immigration papers sorted, with the hope that the money they are gonna make while working will be much more than the down payment they made to the school. while some of these phantom students come to the uk primarily to work, majority of them came to uk to study, but had to drop out because the the high cost of living and the school fees.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by HiiiPower(m): 3:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
University world rankings is more political than academic.
Plenty oxbridge graduates aren't really that smart.

Isn't Fareed Zakaria of CNN a Ph.d graduate from Harvard?
And he still plagiarised his way to the top, with his crappy
writing skills.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
justwise: [/b]

That does not make any sense to me, you can party and study at the same time, you can have active social life even as a full time student. Its completely nonsense for me to pay at least £9000 every yr for about 4yrs on fees and go home with fake certificate. Does it make any economic sense? Somebody who studied,partied and graduate with genuine certificate can still go home and get a better job. So what is the point?
does not make economic sense to you maybe because your parents struggled to come up with £9000 to get you that education. these saudi boys have parents who own billions of pounds. truts me i know. when i was still in the world ( basically a crazed sinner ), my guy ( RIP ) was the one who made the certificates for the saudi guys after they have played in london and drank themselves to stupor for 4 years. hey some people just have all the money and dont want to be hassled with learning.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by violent(m): 3:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
HiiiPower: If you think these kids would be deported,
then you need to have your head examined.
Most of the universities in the UK are
rubbish. Most graduates (both home and international students)
from these universities can't even write
an essay to save their lives. Don't even expect most of them
to say anything reasonable, most of them are just dumb and they have
first and second class degrees.

UK universities thrive on international students,
they won't deport them.

Finally someone who knows what he's saying!

Could you sir, also send an email to Damian Green just so he knows what your position is on this important subject?
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 30, 2012
HiiiPower: University world rankings is more political than academic.
Plenty oxbridge graduates aren't really that smart.

Isn't Fareed Zakaria of CNN a Ph.d graduate from Harvard?
And he still plagiarised his way to the top, with his crappy
writing skills.

I sense jealousy here !!

Ojukwu was third class material from Oxford University , but was a very intelligent and well educated man.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 30, 2012
frosbel:

Maybe you studied at the London Metropolitan University grin
regardless. i am not impressed. its all a farcade and a farce. so long as the subjects keep believing that the colonists are superior and better, then they have a cash cow going. in reality its all a scam
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by HiiiPower(m): 3:26pm On Aug 30, 2012
violent:

Finally someone who knows what he's saying!

Could you sir, also send an email to Damian Green just so he knows what your position is on this important subject?

Damian Green is just bluffing!
David Cameron thrives on making an arse of himself on the news,
no one is getting deported.

Didn't David Cameron threaten to raid another Country's embassy?
What happened after that?
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Segzy23: 3:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
buchibabe: Dis uk sef dia own is too much. Haba! D rate at which dey now abhor foreigners,its as if dey dnt even wantany livin foreigner on there soil. Just making tins difficult for pplee. So wat now bcoms d fate of all dose students in dat sch dat must hv paid thru dia noses to gain admission Is uk d only country affected by d meltdown ? D way dey hv bn deportin pple. Lately is unimaginable.
Its nt even advisable again for foriegners to school,there cos d issue of working after school there is completely ruled out. Dey r just hoarding d jobs for dia citizens dat r not even ready to work but depend on govt income. Abegiii uk is no longer what it used to be

As for hoarding jobs for their citizens, every country does that. They may not say it publicly, but they have a way of doing it. As for you saying their citizens are not ready to work, that is a big lie. Yes you do have the ones who are not ready to work and just live off the state benefits, but that is just a small minority. If you work in the city or in the big banks etc, you will see them working. Perhaps you are doing mundane work which most of their citizens do not want to do, it is easy from that perspective to say they do not want to work. Perhaps you should take a train from Hertfordshire or Kent to see how many of them come into London everyday to work. You need to say what is right. Guess you are not the only one saying what is not right, as a lot of White British also think black people are lazy and do not want to work, we all know that is not correct.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by HiiiPower(m): 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2012
frosbel:
I sense jealousy here !!

Ojukwu was third class material from Oxford University , but was a very intelligent and well educated man.

Do you even know my background?
And what's there to be jealous about?

Ojukwu was so intelligent, yet he went to war,
with two guns and a ragtag army smh.
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 30, 2012
frosbel:

I sense jealousy here !!

ojukwu went to oxford when britain was in its prime while the rest of the world was sub-prime. the situation is reversed now. the rest of the world has caught up and is advancing while britain has retrogressed swiftly.

1 Like

Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by ujukala: 3:37pm On Aug 30, 2012
This is a serious issue
Re: London Metropolitan University's Visa-Licence Revoked by Segzy23: 3:52pm On Aug 30, 2012
violent:

So you actually don't believe majority are foolish and are being deceived by clever marketing materials?

I think you may be the one deceiving yourself.

Clever marketing materials or not, they are well taught over here.

The nonsense that happens at most Nigerian universities do not happen here.

Most student would prefer an institution where you do not have to buy a bag of rice for your lecturer to pass his/her course. Certainly not a University where you need to buy hand-out to pass the exam

If the standard of living in the UK is much better than that of Nigeria and the University standards are roughly the same, I don't think you would find many student coming here to study. Obviously, the University standards here are not comparable to that of Nigerian ones, hence you have a high number of students who can afford it coming to study here in the UK

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Application For Uk Student Visa. / Experience At The Nigerian Embassy London (with Pics) / Abike Dabiri Hails Abia For Being The First State To Have A Diaspora Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.